Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

CP Pro and EF Helicopters HH gyro

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

CP Pro and EF Helicopters HH gyro

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 05:01 PM
zdsh13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CP Pro and EF Helicopters HH gyro

I recently purchased a EF HH gyro for my pro, I still running the heli stock with the brushed motor but do have the brushless setup waiting to be installed. I installed the gyro as per instructions, but find that the HH doesn't work worth s**t. I've tried different gain settings and see some improvement but the nose does not lock and seems to wonder badly. When I switch from the HH function to the standard gyro, it does not provide enough proportional and I need to add significant trim to try and hold the nose. I believe I followed the instructions properly, I also followed Eflites instructions for the G90, ie: turn the proportional to minimum setting. Does any one else use the EF HH gyro with success, maybe you can provide some help. Because right now, the Eflite 3 in 1 does a better job than the HH gyro. Some more info:

- I'm using a JR PCM 10SXII and have been adjusting the gain functions remotely.
- gyro is set for standard servo.
- gyro operation has been tested and responds right, (increases tail rotor when nose swings left)

Thanks for any input you can provide...
Old 12-12-2006, 06:51 PM
HeliTB

Default RE: CP Pro and EF Helicopters HH gyro

I used the EF Gyro for awhile. You have to make sure you have no Revo, I'm sure you don't. I my memory serves me correct, I turned the gain and the proportional all the way down, I set the gyro gain on the radio to 58% and it held pretty good. One thing I have you don't probably is I'm running dual tail motor.

What I eventually did was dump the EF and get a Telebee HH Gyro, same as the G90 but without digital servo capability, but for the HB CP2 or Blade you can't use digital servo anyways. Also it only cost $50 vs. $90. The Telebee has my HB CP2 tail locked tight, but again I'm running dual tail motors.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:44 PM
rawvoodoo

I hate to sound like a broken record here but make sure it is operating the correct way. IE power everything up and try to spin the heli counter-clockwise by hand. The tail motor should spin up when you try. Since this gyro doesnt have any way of being reversed you need to mount it upside-down. I had all kinds of problems until I figured that one out. Heck at first I had the gyro mounted with the BIG flat side down (which is sideways). Now that I have it all set up correct I can say that The standard Rate works fine. The HH side needs some more experimenting before I say anything. I crashed it yesterday because of it piroetting when I switched over to HH. Broke both blade grips.... Now Im debating getting the Microheli alum. Blade grips. They look purty!
Old 12-13-2006, 04:29 PM
zdsh13

Actually, this gyro does have a reversing switch. I don't have any revo mixing set up, but I do have a rudder to throttle mix set up to help maintain hover when applying rudder, that might be giving me some grief, I will remove it and see if it helps.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Jellyson

I use the G90 and it worked fine, after I figured out the problem, and I'll bet you have a similar problem.
My tail motor had failed in such a way that it would not produce sufficient power for the gyro to hold well.
When I replaced it with a new tail motor the gyro locked right in--as well as could be expected for a motor-drive system.
I also have tried the dual tail motor setup. It works better than the single motor.
But the best setup performance-wise with the gyro is the DD tail system. I have tested all three systems in flight and on the bench.
You can take my word for it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42175.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	576616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30906.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	576617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51320.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	576618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87718.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	576619  
Old 12-13-2006, 06:25 PM
rawvoodoo

ORIGINAL: zdsh13

Actually, this gyro does have a reversing switch.

you are absolutely correct. Wrong gyro entirely. My fault
Old 12-13-2006, 11:30 PM
zdsh13

ORIGINAL: Jellyson

I use the G90 and it worked fine, after I figured out the problem, and I'll bet you have a similar problem.
My tail motor had failed in such a way that it would not produce sufficient power for the gyro to hold well.
When I replaced it with a new tail motor the gyro locked right in--as well as could be expected for a motor-drive system.
I also have tried the dual tail motor setup. It works better than the single motor.
But the best setup performance-wise with the gyro is the DD tail system. I have tested all three systems in flight and on the bench.

I guess it could be a weak tail motor, prior to installing the gyro it worked great with the 3 in 1. After installation I have found that at times I did not have enough authority and could barely start a turn to the right then all of a sudden I had great authority, I was thinking that the gyro was possibly holding back the motor. Changing the motor is an easy fix to try as I have a couple new motors, hopefully thats all I need. I'm setting up for a dual tail setup but am intrigued with your DD system, Is it a standard GWS DD setup but with a prop adaptor? Also which prop are you using as the props that are included with the GWS packages look different, and where did you get the prop adaptor?

Thx..
Old 12-13-2006, 11:48 PM
zdsh13

ORIGINAL: Jellyson

Another question for you, I see from your pic that your G90 orientation is turned 90 degrees to my setup, my gyro face points back to the tail rotor. Just wondering if this could be something I should try, my install instructions did say to face it towards the tail rotor but it might be worth a try.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Jellyson

My tail motor failed right after I installed the gyro too, gave me fits, I thought the gyro was defective, I suspected the 3-in-1, I thought my TX programming was screwy, I tried revo mix and resetting the 3-in-1, but the motor was the last thing I suspected and it was the problem all along. The gyro must stress the motor more than without it.

Last question first: I tried it with the wires facing to the side but it looked weird. I reasoned thusly: since the helicopter is a solid object (most of the time), if any part of it is holding a heading, so must be every other part of it. It doesn't matter which way the gyro faces, as long as it is sitting the right way up and is parallel and close to the main shaft.
Call me strange, here's a pic of my MX400Pro gyro installation, it works better here than in the standard location above the tail boom mount.
Vibration isolation is critical, hence the coiled wires and the extra velcro. Don't let your G90 touch the servos on the BCPP.

From your description of the behavior I'd guess first that the motor is failing and second that you have a binding tail rotor. I found that with the stock setup, even though the shaft is on bearings, the gear/blade assembly should be free to spin on the shaft. If the little silicone retainer is pressed up too tight, or if you have the wrong set of holes for the blade pips in the gear, the assembly will bind and cause surging like you are seeing. Also will fry the motor.

There are several ways to go for the DD tail. The motor can be GWS EDP-50H as shown or the CN-12. The shaft adapter+prop is GW/H001-FD5002-030B, black prop. The GWS heat sink is EHS-12. Some of my pics show 2 EFlite heat sinks, they sort of fit, and the other one is one I made on the lathe. I experimented with a couple of props, the EP4530 seems about right and the EP 5030 was a bit heavy--not weight-wise but loaded the motor more. I'd like to try the square-tipped ones in the DD kit but I can't find them at the LHS.
The fin is cut from Plastrut sheet styrene and colored with marker and tape, and held on with o-rings. Lightweight and near-zero cost.
You don't need to mod the motor mount for the DD motor so you can switch back and forth to compare the stock and DD systems. You do need a heat sink, that is a hot little motor.
Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81332.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	576878  
Old 12-14-2006, 01:35 AM
zdsh13

Looks like I'm off to the LHS tomorrow to pick up some GWS parts. Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to try the DD setup. I'll let you know how everything works out
Old 12-14-2006, 10:49 AM
HeliTB

zdsh13...As long as the gyro is now mounted upside down is can face in any direction. Also I had some R -> T mixing and it screwed with the gyro bigtime, once I removed the mixing it worked fine.

Remember a HH gyros is made to fight any exterior movement not coming from the rudder stick(pilot input). R->T mixing is exterior to the pilot input and the HH gyro will fight it.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:09 AM
TeamSlacker

I just installed a G90 on my CPP the other night. Followed the directions in the CPP manual, except I turned gain and prop down on the 3-1. Still using stock trans. Inital tests showed the HH works great.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:42 PM
zdsh13

Just installed the DD GWS system, works great. Chances are my problem was the original tail motor being ready to die but I'm glad I tried the DD system. Tail holding power is great now with the EF HH gyro and it gives the pro a better look. But I can sure hear that motor working to hold the tail!

Thanks Jellyson for the advice.