Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Ultimate CX2 Mod Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 AM
neilt6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultimate CX2 Mod Guide

Grrrrrrrrr........ I was going to buy one of those 900maH packs today as my paypal account finally finished adding to my balance, but guess what?!? NOW THEIR SOLD OUT!!!!!!!! They had a bunch in stock yesterday! Grrrr.........
Old 01-23-2007, 02:38 PM
neilt6

I've added the rest of the part numbers and prices, and added EasyLights to the list.

*Guide Updated*
*New Version 1.5*
Old 01-23-2007, 04:33 PM
neilt6

I just had a thought. It seems that under some conditions, yes the 4-in-1 will smoke on a 3 cell. However, I'm wondering how that differs from normal operation on a 2 cell. Arn't these 4-in-1s also prone to just quitting for no appaerent reason on a 2 cell pack? Based on ADAT's posts I'd tend to say that the risk of running a 3 cell is the same as running a 2 cell. Under both cell counts your 4-in-1 may all of a sudden give out. Other than that, what I'd do to prolong it's life is remove the cover and install mini heatsinks on ALL of the ICs. Especially on the BEC and ESC boards as those 2 areas will be responsible for the extra heat (BEC needs to resist more to maintain 5 volts to the reciever, ESCs handle more juice). Then leave it out so it can dissipate heat faster and let it cool before running more packs.

ORIGINAL: ADAT

Well, like I said..... I run a 3 cell lipo down completely (well, I don't destroy the thing) from a fresh charge and I haven't had any problems with that. (yet) I've been running it for a while now. I only lost a 4in1 when I tried to run 2 fully charged packs back to back.

My motors are fine. My 4in1 in the CX1 is fine. I have no plans to use a 2 cell again. If I can find time (and help) I'll make a video sometime.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:04 PM
ADAT

heyok ,

My flight time is about 25 - 30 mins.

neilt6,

Yes, I have also heard that CX's will fall out of the sky for no apparent reason......and also, I agree with the 2 cell theory as well.

If you ran 3 2-cell packs back to back to back, your 4in1 may smoke also. I KNOW it will smoke if you run 2 3-cell packs back to back.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:37 AM
dankirk

Great guide! How about adding links to the products?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:39 AM
mimo169

I can't find the lower main blades anywhere for my CX2 and I broke one during a bad crash today.

Is it worth upgrading to the aluminum blade grips? I see the guide says "fly like crap". Do these suck or what?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:10 AM
neilt6

ADAT - I did some research and found out that the BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit) is the culprit. When running a 3 cell pack the BEC has to resist WAY more votage to make the 5 volts needed for the radio gear. Therefore it gets hot, REALLY hot. Removing the case and heat sinking it could prove beneficial. Oh and that flight time is AWESOME!!!!!!!

dankirk - Thanx! I thought about adding links, but there are many sources of most of the parts, which would mean trying to find the better one all the time. I might in the future, but I'm not planning on it for now.

mimo169 - Unfortunatly, 99.9% of the MicroHeli blade grip setups fly really poorly without some sort of modification. One thing that is agreed on though is the MicroHeli blades are the crappiest most drift inducing blades on the market. Other than that, some people get the grips to work by hacking the stock blades to fit the mounts. Others have reported success by using LAMA blades and lossening the plastic flybar linkage to fit loosly on the grip's linkage balls. Still others have actually ground the upper grip down to make it lighter. Basicly if you want to use them, keep in mind that the grips and your heli are almost garunteed to require one or more mods to fly properly.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:55 AM
mimo169

I'm not looking to over complicate my life by switching to the aluminum grips if there is no clear benefit. I'll probably still get everything else that e-flite sells in aluminum along with the carbon boom that I just ordered.

Does anyone have a tip on getting the stock lower blades for the CX2??? Everybody says they are on backorder and I can't fly until I find a replacement blade!

mimo169 - Basicly if you want to use them, keep in mind that the grips and your heli are almost garunteed to require one or more mods to fly properly.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:06 AM
neilt6

Hobby Wholesale in Edmonton. Last I checked they had tons, and they'll ship them to you too!

ORIGINAL: mimo169

I'm not looking to over complicate my life by switching to the aluminum grips if there is no clear benefit. I'll probably still get everything else that e-flite sells in aluminum along with the carbon boom that I just ordered.

Does anyone have a tip on getting the stock lower blades for the CX2??? Everybody says they are on backorder and I can't fly until I find a replacement blade!

mimo169 - Basicly if you want to use them, keep in mind that the grips and your heli are almost garunteed to require one or more mods to fly properly.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 PM
neilt6

I've added the LiGlow V2 kit to the guide, and added details for the bearing motors.

*Guide Updated*
*New Version 1.6*
Old 01-25-2007, 02:11 PM
mimo169

Neilt6, thanks for the tip! It was the only place that had these. I already placed an order and can't wait to fly again.

Hey, how about adding URL links to your guide?

ORIGINAL: neilt6
Hobby Wholesale in Edmonton. Last I checked they had tons, and they'll ship them to you too!

Old 01-25-2007, 06:55 PM
neilt6

I might in the future, but I'm a bit too busy right now to browse around and find the best sources, sorry.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:28 PM
neilt6

YES!!!!!!!!!! I ordered the last DN Power 900MaH Blade CX Battery Pack in stock at ReadyHeli! Mwahahahaha!!!!!! [>:]

P.S Their shipping rates are rediculous! [:@]
Old 01-25-2007, 11:58 PM
neilt6

*Guide Updated*
*New Version 1.7*
Old 01-26-2007, 01:07 PM
mimo169

Does anyone know where I can get the following *genuine* E-Flite accessories in blue aluminum?

- Lower Head
- Swash Plate

I already have the blue aluminum Upper Head and Bearing Housing from E-Flite, but would like to complete the mods with the matching Lower Head and Swash Plate. I would preferrably want the original E-Flite parts... not the MicroHeli parts. Is there any difference?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:23 PM
neilt6

mimo169 - I don't think there is that much difference, except the E-Flight parts are sold out all over the place. MicroHeli's seem to be in stock everywhere.

[:@]neilt6's rant: Grrrrrrr!!!!!!! ReadyHeli's stock system messed up and they really didn't have those DN Power packs back in stock!! They say it's going to be two weeks until they get them again! Grrrr!!! Forget it, I ordered a Mega Power pack and Vortex motors from HeliDirect, because they finally got those back in stock!! Grrrr!!!!!!! It was a fast refund though. I placed the order last night, and when I woke up this morning I had recieved a non-computer generated message from them and a full refund. Excellent customer service dept.!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:35 PM
mwkilgo

Aright, so of all these modifications, which one should a freshman flier entertain first? Heatsink? Swashplate? Confused!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:44 PM
neilt6

First I'd go with the heatsink, that will prolong your motor life. Then the higher capacity battery packs as they are cheaper than the stock ones, and perform better too, that will allow you to run more often as you will have more packs to fly with. Then I'd get the cellpro 4s charger so I could charge my packs in 50min or less verus the 2 hours the stock charger takes, and I'd keep the stock charger to charge a third pack if needed. Then the rest will give you better performance, which you will want once you can outfly it! Enjoy!
Old 01-27-2007, 01:52 AM
dankirk

mimo169 - I don't think there is that much difference, except the E-Flight parts are sold out all over the place. MicroHeli's seem to be in stock everywhere.

[:@]neilt6's rant: Grrrrrrr!!!!!!! ReadyHeli's stock system messed up and they really didn't have those DN Power packs back in stock!! They say it's going to be two weeks until they get them again! Grrrr!!! Forget it, I ordered a Mega Power pack and Vortex motors from HeliDirect, because they finally got those back in stock!! Grrrr!!!!!!! It was a fast refund though. I placed the order last night, and when I woke up this morning I had recieved a non-computer generated message from them and a full refund. Excellent customer service dept.!
neilt6, XUS hobbies ( http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Detail?no=215 ) has the DN packs. I just got two of them, and they are great.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:57 AM
neilt6

Awww... Well I ordered the mega powers now. How do they compare to the mega power packs? Do they fit the stock charger?

ORIGINAL: dankirk

neilt6, XUS hobbies ( http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Detail?no=215 ) has the DN packs. I just got two of them, and they are great.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:40 AM
mwkilgo

So I thought I would ask for a little help: there's alot of play in my outer shaft, between the bearing above the mainframe and the outer shaft main gear, to the point where both the inner and outer shaft main gear miss pinions. Additionally, it appears as though it's making the shaft(s) catch internally somehow: they aren't rotating when throttle is applied until you lightly tap the lower (outer shaft) blades. Once they begin to spool up, adding elevator trim visibly moves the entire shaft assembly, causing it to lock up with throttle added. I'm afraid I'm gonna burn out the motors, but I can't see that I'm missing any parts. Any ideas? (also posted this in the newbie section, hope it's not a crime to double-post)
Old 01-27-2007, 10:38 AM
DriveWRX

mwkilgo ,
Sounds like the shaft retaining collar shifted out of place. Check that first.

The collar should be flush against the top bearing and the outer shaft/gear up against the lower bearing. Now tighten the set screw on the collar.

Hope that helps!

Hey neilt6,
Awesome guide. THANKS!
Keep up the good work.

Happy flying!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:09 AM
neilt6

Thanx!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:35 AM
neilt6

*Guide Updated*
*New Version 1.8*

I added URLs to all of the entries now so finding the parts online should be cake! Special thanks to makatron for taking the time to find sites for every entry and e-mail them to me! Thanx makatron!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:59 PM
makatron

yay IM FAMOUS

no paparazzi please!!!![8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.