Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

cp pro / gy401 problems..PLEASE HELP!!

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

cp pro / gy401 problems..PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:17 AM
929freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cp pro / gy401 problems..PLEASE HELP!!

ok before I start let me say I did search for an hour for the answer to my question..couldn't fin
d a straight answer,don't get me wrong I found a TON of useful info,just not what I need..ok on to the prob. I put a gy 401 gyro on my cp pro..wired as follows
gyro sensitivity switching connector in ch5
gyro rudder input to ch4
gyro rudder servo connector to rudder lead from 3in1
3in1 throttle in ch3
everything works "sort-of"...gyro initializes,as does 3in1......but rudder fluctuates when I try to go airborne,it is better described as a surge.
basically I can't fly it as-is
also I noticed I can only turn the ch5 gain up just until the red light (hh mode) just comes on,any more and it wags very badly
I did turn the 3in1 gain all the way down(counter clockwise)
I am not using an extra esc for the tail,I read a post that it wasn't needed,was that correct?
yes I am fairly new to helis,ten plus years in rc everything else,so I am usually good at problem solving,but when the consequences are falling from the sky,well you get the idea!!!
well any time I can't figure something out myself this is where I turn,I've never been let down,by far the best rc forum on the web!
any suggestions are greatly appreciated....or better yet straight solutions to my problem!!! ha ha
for the record this is basically the same way I had the 401 wired on my heli-max axe cp with no problems. on the axe I used a e-flite cp pro tx and rx so that I had the ch5 available for the sensitivity connector..
thanks again to anyone who takes the time to help
Old 07-22-2007, 02:06 AM
noguy

Default RE: cp pro / gy401 problems..PLEASE HELP!!

also I noticed I can only turn the ch5 gain up just until the red light (hh mode) just comes on,any more and it wags very badly

I dont know if this will totally solve your problem. The futaba gy401 must always be armed in HH mode and then it can be switched and used in ratemode if desired. If you are arming it in rate made this may be your problem. See what you can do. try to arm the gyro in HH with the gain in a the middleof the HH range and see if that helps anything.

Also do you have another gyro to test everything else out with to be sure that the problem is isolated to the 401?

Hope this helps, Noah
Old 07-22-2007, 05:40 AM
Georges Payne

The GY401 gyro MUST go directly in the receiver without going through the 3in1. The way you are setup, you are using both gyros : the stock gyro in the 3in1 and your new GY401.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:58 PM
929freak

georges I understand what your saying...but for example if you use a 240 on a heli-max as per there instructions,all you do is turn the 3in1 gyro gain all the wat down rendering it useless...wouldn't that also work w/ the cp pro?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:01 PM
929freak

georges I understand what your saying...but for example if you use a 240 on a heli-max as per there instructions,all you do is turn the 3in1 gyro gain all the way down rendering it useless...wouldn't that also work w/ the cp pro?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:40 AM
Georges Payne

Well I don't have a Heli-Max, so I wouldn't be able to comment on that, but the way to hook up a third party gyro is clearly explained in the Blade CP Pro manual. Why do it differently if it causes problems? Why not first do it like they say to see if the problem goes away, and then try another method after that if it doesn't?

Edit : typo
Old 07-23-2007, 01:26 PM
929freak

geoorges to be honest I hadn't read up on the cp pro...like I said I had it on my axe and after a little incident I have to wait for parts,so I decided to pull out the cpp...I thought the same setup would work..I will fall back and look-into the cpp book and give it a shot...thanks for pointing out the difference
Old 07-23-2007, 05:21 PM
929freak

georges..just an update,I did refer back to the cpp manual(after searching the house for it) and the way I installed the 401 is the same way the instructions tell you to do it...( I got lucky) the only difference was there instructions were for a e-flite gyro(g90 I think?).So I am still without an answer[&o].thanks for trying
Old 07-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Georges Payne

I am not sure how I misunderstood what you were saying and I'll have to think about it a little more, but I apologize for losing your time with what I thought was good advice. I had a quick look at my setup and it is like yours, I think.

Oh well, at least I wanted to help.

Good luck with your problem,
Georges
Old 07-23-2007, 10:26 PM
929freak

not a problem georges...like I said atleast you tried to help!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:39 AM
zerofox

I am having a similar problem, and i too come here for all my advice needs... but i am using the Logitec 2100t... now anyone who has any experiance with this gyro knows the instructions are less than helpful, i found a good 'translation' online, but my CPP refuses to be flyable with this gyro... as i spool it up everything seems fine, the tail holds as the blades pick up speed, if i touch the rudder stick in either direction, the heli goes into full spin overdrive in that direction until i kill the throttle... no additional input from the rudder makes a change, in the mean time ive removed the gyro, but id really like to use the 2100t if i can

ideas?

Old 07-25-2007, 02:21 PM
929freak

slightly differant then my problem, I have rudder control w/ the stick ,I'm just getting a bad surge in my tail motor as I try to throttle up...if I see anything that might help you I'll post a link on here....you do the same[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-25-2007, 02:45 PM
zerofox

cool will do!
Old 02-19-2008, 09:54 PM
glowell

After several crashes I seem to have a rudder surge problem as well. I noticed it before and after installation of the optional gyro and brush less motor for the cp pro blade. Seems the blade motor may be surging as well. Instead of buying parts and swapping to find the problem I am about to buy another pro then swap until I find the problem. I control the gyro with the channel 5 knob (variable resister) on the ccpm transmitter. I intend on swapping the ccpm out as I suspect
this variable resister may be playing a role. Exercising the knobs and control before flying seemed to help but even then after a while the surge occurs.
All in all this might take a while to debug.
If I find anything positive Ill let you know.
And thanks for the interesting reading.

George
Nevada City CA
Old 02-20-2008, 02:57 AM
gnd2

Couple things I can think of that I don't think have been mentioned:

Make sure the DS switch is in the off position

Try turning up the "delay" pot.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:52 PM
glowell

Ok I did it. I bought another Blade CP Pro, reversed the rudder switch on the transmitter, and during its first flight right out of the box it surged twice. Thankfully none have resulted in a crash.
Have you ever heard the crackle in a variable switch such as a variable speaker switch when dirity, seems to me such crackle if it occurred with one of the controls (variable resisters) in the transmitter could account for a surge . Think of it like a speaker skipping in volume from soft to loud. Some times if you exercise the switch it improves and volume will slide smoothly. Other times cleaning helps.
Might be time to tune in on the frequencys and listen?
Could it be the light voltages involved are casing problems in the variable switch designs?
Or maybe cause I reversed the rudder switch? Hope not cause ill have to re train myself something I don’t want to do at this stage.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:20 AM
glowell

Turns out it was the servo causing the surge in the CP Pro such as someone had mentioned. The surge stopped after replacing one of the three servos. Thanks!!