Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Quick loss of altitude with the CX2

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Quick loss of altitude with the CX2

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:38 AM
BladeCX2Two

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick loss of altitude with the CX2

Hi guys-

Lately i've been going thru a blade or 2 each night just by screwing around outside. I'm not wreckless, I think I'm just pushing the Cx2 beyond it's limits.... For instance tonight I was up maybe 15 feet and I did a full thottle forward speed and went striaight into a piroette. That didn't work so well because the moment I tailed into a piroette I lost major altitude and dropped to the ground busting 2 of the blades. Is this normal to lose altitude like that? The only logical reason I can think of for it doing that is because your transferring from the lower blades during the forward flight, to the upper blades during the piroette, thus losing all the altitude. The chopper can't recover that quickly. Make sense?

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:16 AM
TheBum

Default RE: Quick loss of altitude with the CX2

Yep, makes sense. That's one of the pitfalls of coax helis: in order to yaw, one of the blades has to slow down while the other speeds up. You end up with a net loss of lift, which requires additional throttle to compensate.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:27 AM
BladeCX2Two

Thanks for backing up my theory on this. That's what I thought.

Looks like I'll be upgrading to a bigger chopper soon.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:05 PM
amarzano

In my LIMITED flying experience - I increase throttle during manuveurs (turning, forward, back, etc.) and then decrease throttle when I come back to a hover. It's one more step to remember..

Old 08-08-2007, 08:54 PM
myrcsupply

Ya, unfortunately, the CX2 gives new rc heli pilots a false impression on how to fly/control helicopters.

alot of things about the CX2 dont compare to that of other helis that you would fly. I flew the cx2 for about 4 months, then i swaped back to my 450 after it warmed up, and i was so slow on the controls, i was in a controlled crash for about the whole flight time, heh. i kept thinking that letting go of a stick would put the heli back into a hover... silly me... heh.

but all in all its great...

you guys here about the new Blade 400 3D RTF? that should be sweet.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:15 AM
CompuFoil
My Feedback: (3)

I've had this happen if I an moving forward quickly, and make a quick turn. What happened to me is I had enough pressure on the lower blades that they hit the uppers and stopped dead. The heli plunged 20 feet to the ground. This happened three times before I figured out what happened.

Regards,
Eric Sanders
http://www.compufoil.com

Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 PM
BladeCX2Two

Mine does the EXACT same thing. I'm still going thru a blade or two a night just by doing stuff I shouldn't be doing. The blade just isn't meant for quick and sudden motions. I just received the longer shafts today that I ordered from BP Hobbies. I will be installing them this weekend. I also got their Vortex flybar. Although, I did do the flybar mod that was in the write up where wheel collars are used, shortened flybar to 3 3/8" and carbon fiber tube over the rod. I will say that it's helped some. I don't feel as though I've lost an manueverability at all. I think I could shorten the flybar even more.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:31 AM
dilettante

i have had the same problem, but i suspect my esc is fried due the the fact that the green light on the esc (4 in 1) turns red and no more power go to the blades.

Any suggestion on how this can be fixed?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:02 PM
CompuFoil
My Feedback: (3)

There is a thread on how to fix the 4 in one. It entails soldering in a surface mount component, (the IC is around 1/4" square and has eight legs). Google IRP7313 CX

Regards,
Eric Sanders
http://www.compufoil.com