Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Think My Motors Are Going

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Think My Motors Are Going

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:38 PM
kilr95ss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think My Motors Are Going

Along with my Xtreme conversion kit, I also received my 15C 850mAh battery for my CX. Used the factory CX charger and put battery in for flight. Heli would barely hover a few inches. Earlier this week with the stock batteries, I could only get it light on the skids, thought I had hurt the cells by discharging too much.

Could it be my motors or maybe my charger?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Balance

Default RE: Think My Motors Are Going

I have always been against the stock chargers. You can do a search of my responses and see how often
I flame the stock chargers.

If you don't know how much voltage or current a charger is putting into your battery, how can you know how it
is charging?

If you can't put a voltmeter on the battery and see what it has in it, then the next best thing is a charger
that can tell you how much voltage your battery has in it. I have a voltmeter and its still easier to just
plug my battery into my charger and see what it is.
You can not tell anything from a couple of lights (oooo red and green). Is it charged? Or is it just saying it is?
Is there a charge error (both lights flashing)? And if so...what is actually the charge error, and how does it
decide that??? What does the charger think a charge error is???

From what I have read about the stock chargers , they shut off as soon as one of the cells in the battery reach 4.2 volts.
I have not confirmed this (well once when I put a friends battery on my meter after it was done charging with a
stock charger) ,but I can assure you that the stock charger works fine for what it is supposed
to do. To provide a means to charge your battery AT THE LOWEST POSSIBLE COST to the RTF kit.
The stock charger will do its job, as long as you realize that it's job is to charge your battery until you
decide that this hobby sucks and it don't matter any more, or that this hobby means something to you
and it is time to get a better charger.

And also....it is possible that the new battery is defective?. Maybe not since stock batteries was doing the
same sort of thing.

Probably no way to tell with a stock charger. Unless of course you want to put a voltmeter and an ammeter
on each cell to see what it is doing.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

If you can eliminate the variables or at least narrow them then the answers will be closer.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
Old 08-10-2007, 10:06 PM
kilr95ss

Use my Flute meter and the cells register 4.03 vdc and 4.18vdc. Charger has never shown a charge error.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Balance

Then I guess we will have to back up and figure out what happened just before the loss of power. I was
assuming new battery since that is what you said the last thing you done was. I guess if batteries are good,
then you will have to look for binding in the bearings or gears first.
And I didn't have any problems with my motors til about 3 - 4 months in, and then I just had a little
bit of squalling.
So if everything seems to be ok, then you can change the motors out for about $11 a piece before you
go for the $59 4 in 1 and if it is that, you will have some spare motors.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:19 PM
kilr95ss

The 15c battery is new, I bought a stock battery from the LHS so I could still fly until the ttery arrived, when the heli wouldnt hover with the stock LiPo, I thought it may have been a dud even thought it was new. The new battery came in today and after it would only hold a hover a few inches at WOT, I new there was another problem.

I bought the CX used from a friend that didnt have the patience to fly it. I had put atleast 20 flight on the stock battery that came with the heli. On the last flight before the no power issue, everything was fine. I had progressed into slow forward flight, doing figure 8s, landed the bird when I noticed the power dropping.

Both rotors turn easily.