Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Installing the dynam vortex motors on Blade CX2

Hi guys, Im thinking of doing this mod, and being a noob, have lots of questions.

1 will these motors (vyx-018) directly replace the stock motors with no other modification? i.e fit perfectly and just plug and play?
    2 are they relatively easy to install?

3 do they really offer more power and less heat? and are they a worthwhile mod?
    4 would the flight time be increased with these motors
    5 will the eflite heat sink fit these motors?

Thanks for your input

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Installing the dynam vortex motors on Blade CX2

I got these for my dads cx and they do fit right in, you have to be wary of the connection to the 4 in 1 and make sure you get the rotors spinning the right way, but they wouldn't lift my dads cx more then a few inches off the ground (almost stock CX except a few aluminum parts). I put the original motors back on and it flies great now (well, great for the CX). They seem under powered compared to the originals.
    Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you don't mind spending a few extra $$, get the Extreme 180 motors, drop in replacements. They aren't cheap, but are vented, ball bearings and you can swap out the brushes when they wear out. Do a search on the forum, you'll see a lot of threads about motor replacement.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I could jump in here, may I ask if you broke those Vortex motors in or did you just insert and try them? And how much flight time did you have on them before deciding you didn't want to use them?
    As far as the Xtremes go....good investment and from the sounds of it, they will probably outlast the servos. I have yet to see a negative post about them.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ArrowNaughtic

If I could jump in here, may I ask if you broke those Vortex motors in or did you just insert and try them? And how much flight time did you have on them before deciding you didn't want to use them?
    As far as the Xtremes go....good investment and from the sounds of it, they will probably outlast the servos. I have yet to see a negative post about them.

I didn't bother breaking them in, they were only $8 for the pair, I didn't break in the originals either. I bought them because someone said the issue I had was bad motors and that these were direct replacements, they didn't fix the issue at all and are less power then the originals. I tried for a good few months to get the CX to fly again, the motors were the first thing I tried so I had them on all the way until Kamov got the fix figured out for me. but the motors are still in new condition because I didn't put much time on them. I just took em out and dropped the originals back in and they still work perfect now that I fixed the issue.
    Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i bought a used cx2 from fleabay and it came with vortex vented motors...what i found out is the pinion is a tad bigger just looking at it than stock eflite motor
    i came to this conclusion as i noticed when i spin both rotor it seems tight..then when i fly w/ full charge battery i get 2 mins fly time and the indicator on
    the 4n1 turns red. tried my 2 other good batterys and same thing 2 mins flight time and 4n1 goes red.

i disasembled the heli and measured the pinions with a dial caliper and the pinions were a tad bit bigger in diameter. i then removed the pinion and attempted to use the stock eflite pinions from an old motor that i have but alas..
    the pinions will not grip the vortex motor shaft...its too loose..

it so happens that i have the extreme 180 motor upgrade that i have not used yet and intslled it and the problem is gone...now im getting 8+ mins on the batteries[hard flying]

this might explain why blade killer above indicated that the vortex motors did not even lift his dads CX but putting the stock motors back on it worked..

so if i may suggest you are better of using stock or better yet upgrade to the Extreme 180 and btw....i get longer filight time and its so extremely quiet for some reason..maybe its just new.. i do have 2 CX2 one with stock motor and the one i bought at fleabay now has the Xtreme 180 which is only $6 more than stock thats not bad at all as it will last longer, runs cooler, and seems to have more power, made better w/ bearings, thicker wire, vented endbell etc..and a little bit longer flight time as i noticed and the brushes are repleacable.

definitely worth the upgrade..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks for that Kamov, do the extreem motors come with the pinions?
    Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes Scott
    how are yah...

its got pinions already
    xtreme 180 are avail anywhere now it used to be just miracle-mart
    got mine from krshobbies.com also avail from slickzero and fleabay

have you guys worn out pinions yet check this out

http://www.pbase.com/pixelphoto/image/78178699 PASSWORD IS: cx2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I took dads CX out today and man, oh man, it was all over the place, I flew it up over the house, around the yard, over the neighbors yard, I had it about 30ft in the air (never took it that high before). I took off from a garden table my mom has and landed it back on that table (very precisely I might add) when I was done, or rather the heli was done. I didn't know this thing was THIS much fun!

Then I took my HBFP out and, well, I had to CA some parts back together and my son had to help me find my tail skid post thingy in the grass....
    Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks for the repplies guys, i think its safe to conclude i should stay away from these motors.

on another note i did soloboss' flybar mod, cut down to 3" and boy oh boy what a diference. Also did 4 in 1 cooling mod. Thanks soloboss.

Waiting on my m3 boom to show up. Jaime at boomtown is great.

Modding this little bird is just as much fun as flying it.

Dilettante over and out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

dilettante ...your welcome
    yes there are lots of info and helpful people here so hang around and pop in if you have any questions..
    you'll like the boom for sure it helps it fly much better..

to blade killer/scott...yup cx2 are much more fun and cheaper to fix than the FP..my FP is in the hangar right now..lol.. got my superskids
    but dont have the replacement mainframe yet to put it in.. it has more ground down time than airtime lol....but i'll learn

cya guys..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

heres some clip showing the 180 installed on my cx2

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WXed2VGoaUs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I tried a set of the Dynam motors today that I had purchased before reading any of these posts. Break in was not necessary...the pinion gears were way too tight on the spur gears. Never had a chance...the stock motors have just the right amount of "slop" and spin like a dream...Ebay...