Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Nose in Hovering

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:34 PM
DVI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nose in Hovering

I have been flying my Blade CP's for some time now and can fly around the yard ok, No aerobatic's at this time. I do not have a simulator to pratice with. Can some one give me some tips on nose in hovering. I can hover at 90 degree angles and of course tail pointed at me fine. But when ever that nose points at me except in forward flight my panic reflex takes affect.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:41 PM
soloboss

Default RE: Nose in Hovering

You might try a good stiff drink before you fly. That should cure the Panic Reflex.
At least it works or me.
You are 21 years old I hope. If not, please disregard this message.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:44 PM
DVI

Tried the drink thing, Panic reflex still there just delayed!
Old 10-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Wolfpackin

STD: Sticks Towards Danger

That helped me a lot. Whenever you are about to hit something or you get disoriented, while flying nose in, point both sticks toward the danger (wall, pole, tree, cat etc.). This will cause the heli to quickly bank and turn away from the obstacle.

Also, try facing your chest in the same direction the nose of the heli is pointing. Even if you have to look over your shoulder.
I've found this helps the brain get oriented and back in sync with the hands. Don't try STD if you're turned around and facing the same way as the heli. It only works if you are facing the heli and it is coming at you.

I hope that makes sense, if not let me know and I'll try again.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:01 PM
USHobbySupply

ORIGINAL: Wolfpackin

STD: Sticks Towards Danger

That helped me a lot. Whenever you are about to hit something or you get disoriented, while flying nose in, point both sticks toward the danger (wall, pole, tree, cat etc.). This will cause the heli to quickly bank and turn away from the obstacle.

Also, try facing your chest in the same direction the nose of the heli is pointing. Even if you have to look over your shoulder.
I've found this helps the brain get oriented and back in sync with the hands. Don't try STD if you're turned around and facing the same way as the heli. It only works if you are facing the heli and it is coming at you.

I hope that makes sense, if not let me know and I'll try again.
yup, thats what i found helps me.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:12 PM
soloboss

But that should give you time to duck.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:49 AM
soloboss

So how come you guys never told me about that one?
I thought that we are like . . . you know, family or somethin'.
Now I find that I'm on the outside again, running into my own face and not knowing what to do about it.

I guess good information is still good, even if it's late.
Great tip.
I hope it comes to mind in that second preceding imminent catastrophe.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:58 AM
cx2cp+

you might also try keeping the radio antenna pointed in the direction of the heli's nose - that way you can still face the heli (same thing you are doing with your chest really, assuming the radio is in front of you - having the antenna follow the nose is great, cause the radio direction is always right, you just have to remember to turn the radio (and yourself) as the heli turns

the old timer that taught me how to fly rc airplanes did it that way back in the 70's - its old school, but it works

edge
Old 10-21-2007, 06:59 AM
DVI

Thanks for the information guys. I'll give it a try!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:55 AM
stump3r

I'm with Soloboss here, how come nobody told us about the sticks toward danger. I just tried it and guess what! works like a charm. I know I know....Stump just wouldn't be Stump if he wasn't breaking something....well I'm trying to turn over a new leaf. See I have a plan. You'll like this! The less I break my CX2 the less parts I have to buy, so instead of buying parts I'm putting that money toward my next heli. At the rate I was chewing through parts I should have enough for a CP+ or a Blade 400 by the end of January.....just in time for the after Christmas sales
Old 10-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Wolfpackin

I'm with Soloboss here, how come nobody told us about the sticks toward danger.
Sorry guys, but I guess you didn't ask.

I think I picked that up here and posted it once before.
Oh well, learn something new every day. Right

Stump,

Excellent plan.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:56 PM
cx2cp+

try this (combining the pole with the nose-in hover):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx9HYvBO1wA

edge
Old 10-21-2007, 04:27 PM
stump3r

great vid edge....now you will have to do it like I have to in an 8 foot by 20 foot area with only 7 feet of height avail
Old 10-21-2007, 04:40 PM
J-MICHAEL

Edge: cool video....! I can never get enough of em'...Whew, it made me dizzy I think..........! Lol.... Yeah Stump I hear ya there, I break more inside than outside in a mild breeze.....!!!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Wolfpackin

I wish I had a digital video camera, and a friend.

Jeff,

NO, I will not wear a helmet cam like yours!
Old 10-21-2007, 04:48 PM
J-MICHAEL

Yeah ... Lol... I've swallowed so much pride, my stomach's bloated........!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Loswave

Another tip for learning nose in if you can fly just fine: Fly straight at yourself, at a safe distance. Determine what speed you can fly at comfortably, and do that. Then as you take passes, start to slow down further and further, until your hovering. The reason you can fly just fine is because helis fly a lot like planes when their in forward flight, which is for most, easier to do. Then as you slow down, it maintains the aspect of flying like a plane, but starts to regain the feel of a heli in a hover. If you slowly decrease the speed your flying you'll slowly learn it with no incident, and before you know it, you'll be hovering in any orientation. This is what I've been using to learn, because I got to the point where I can do some aerobatics, and even a little inverted and I still suck at nose in because, I just never wanted to practice it..

As for drinking and flying... Number one, usually if I start drinking I'll forget all about the helicopter. Two, I tried it once and decided to never mess with that again... I was flying just fine pretty impressed with my somewhat drunken self, then after a bit I realize that my CP complete with lipo and CF blades was flying right at me... at about 2 ft of altitude... I jumped clean over the helicopter as it flew beneath me, then flew a full circle and landed... I was shocked, and my friends just thought I was showing off!
Old 10-22-2007, 06:54 AM
jmhh

Save time , energy and repair expense..get a SIM...FMS is
great to begin and free...John H.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Georges Payne

When flying nose-in, "Stick toward danger" is the same as the old "pick up the low wing". Input some right stick toward the lower wing to get back to level flight.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 AM
cx2cp+

i still stick with the old school 'antenna same direction as the nose' works for any orientation or disorientation, not just nose in - if i get disoriented (or panicked), i just turn the radio (and me) so the antenna points in the direction the nose is pointing, and everything works just like looking at the tail

i can usually fly around maintaining myself in a stable cam position, just watching the bird go by in all sorts of orientations, but every now and then in my videos sometimes you'll see me whip the cam to one side or the other - don't get excited, that;s just me doing the nose pointing thing to figure out how to get the heli out of danger - bad filming technique, but better on the blades!

edge