Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

"Crash Proof" Landing Gear Mod for Blade CP?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

"Crash Proof" Landing Gear Mod for Blade CP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:23 PM
scrappyheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Crash Proof" Landing Gear Mod for Blade CP?

I just posted this message here: http://runryder.com/helicopter/t382098p1/ but thought folks on rcuniverse might have some experience with this as well.

================

I'm a beginner rc heli fanatic, who got sucked into the hobby when my step dad upgraded to the TREX and gave me his heavily used BladeCP. Now it is all I think about.

Even though I'm pretty cautious... accidents happen. So right now, the name of the game for me is modding to lower the cost of repairs. Once I'm confident then I may move onto modding for performance. Along these lines I'd been experimenting with using thick gauge wire as a way to create a non-rigid (and therefore non-breakable) landing gear so that on a rough landing, the landing gear "crumples". This could have two benefits [1] you can bend the landing gear to repair it and [2] the force of the crash is absorbed by the "crumpling" of the landing gear. Looking at this from the opposite perspective.. if you somehow made invincible landing gear out of an awesome unbreakable but rigid material then your landing gear might never break but the force of the crash might cause something else to break.

I finally put together something that seems to work and I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this or if it might be useful for others or what other people think. You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpVfLedkRkE

This wire probably adds a little weight so again if you're a performance oriented modder.. probably not for you... but I flew a couple flights today and it didn't seem to affect my heli (keep in mind I'm a beginner...) it was great...

Let me know what you think.

Steven
Old 10-22-2007, 11:36 PM
almaidah

Default RE: "Crash Proof" Landing Gear Mod for Blade CP?

hey i dont know if anyone has done that before but i think that is a good idea i thin ill try it also...i think your on to something everybody will like im sure.. thanks scrappyheli
Old 10-23-2007, 02:07 AM
mrasmm

hey man, not a bad idea, is that 14ga?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:46 AM
scrappyheli

The spool has a sticker on it that says says: 12 SOLID TYPE THHN E123448-K INSULATION THICKNESS .015"

I'm guessing that means 12 gauge.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:56 AM
J-MICHAEL

Very clever idea indeed...I see you becoming a valuable asset here on RCU....And welcome...! I to started with the CPP, and a couple months ago purchased a CX2, which I find to be quite a blast. A couple days I'll have a Trex to see what my experience with my CPP has taught me...I'am hoping for a little more stability as I hear, but looking forward to new frustrations...I've only been a pilot since the beginning of June, and like yourself, all I think about is heli fever...Lol... I'am definately in it for life...Neat your dad is in to it. Makes the experience even better, as my dad carries the same interests.... Have fun with your new heli ! --- Jeff
Old 10-23-2007, 06:29 AM
jmhh

Yo Scrappy...I think you have a future in video/film..
great video and idea!!....John H.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 AM
USHobbySupply

The absolute last landing gear you will ever buy for the BladeCP is SuperSkids.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:28 AM
cx2cp+

i cannot agree enough - superskids are truly indestructible (as far as i have pushed them, which is very hard)

i have them on both the walkera#4 and the cp

they are a bit heavy, but if you lose the boom and fins and go with just the gear, the batt tray sticks (leave them long and shove them forward to protect the 4-in-1), and the wire bit to brace the boom, they are superb!

pics are after the tree hit at end of the walkera4 video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz0UgowR-qE
- one blade gone, modded metal flybar bent, skids spun around in their holders, but no damage to the superskids - the attachment system to the heli is really stable and crash resistant too
- except for the blade replacement, i could just straighten everything out and keep flying

edge
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61584.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	788703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13463.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	788704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48295.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	788705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk24352.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	788706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm75277.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	788707  
Old 10-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Kamov

cool mod this might work on a HBFP as it has similar landing skids as the CP.

thanks for that man!

i might just have a wire like that somewhere in the garage..definitely for the cost consious modder!!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:40 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

nicely done, seems like with the wire bending the way it does that it would act as a cushion when landing or crashing hard. im new to the cp too and from your video, and crappy flying it seems im not the only one having trouble with this bird!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:37 AM
scrappyheli

Thanks for all the comments and responses. Trying to follow some of the advice about my heli's balance, I decided to replace the main blades. You can see the results here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l10LtOUPtqI

Seems better.

Steven
Old 10-25-2007, 12:51 AM
J-MICHAEL

Steven, Outstanding....! It takes skill to hover those CP's...You've got it. the start of a great road ahead for you...Keep up the good work, and remember we're all here for ya..! And there's some like myself, who aren't going anywhere...I'am in it for life...Literally... Take care guy, Jeff