Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade cx2 gyro question. What is to much gain?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade cx2 gyro question. What is to much gain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:10 PM
iruleyou1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade cx2 gyro question. What is to much gain?

I have about 10 flights on my blade cx2 with about 6 of the flights just hovering in the living room trying to get the heli trimmed as best as possible. I would be a pro at doing this but my main problem is knowing how things should look when set up correctly. It is really hard not having a good working heli to copy. I did change the linkages a few turns becuase having my controller trims near max to correct left drift did not sit well with me. I have fixed that problem and I believe it is fairly stable as for froward and left right movement goes. But when it comes to spinning in place (rudder controles) I just can't seem to get it right. I did adjust the main rotor speed on the 4 in 1 and it was alot better but would always slowly spin one way or the other. Sometimes change direction after installing a new battery. The way I corrected this was increasing the gain a considerable amount. What my question is how twitchy is twitchy? It flies just fine for me but when I do a fast spin with the rudder control and let go I hear a bouncing sound and watch the tail bounce a small amount really fast about 2 times. I can hear the motors change sound really fast as it counters the spin. Is this normal? I really like the hoveing ability when I have the controls this way but I do want it to be correct as well. I never really see the twitchy tail problem of a normal helicopter with a high gain setting on the gyro if I am just hovering. How much on the adjustment for gain is normal for this helicopter from 0%? Mine right now is probably around 80% clockwise where I currently have it. This heli is so stable I may just not be noticing it is twitching while hovering. I wish there was a video showing what to much gain looked like on a cx2. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:22 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Default RE: Blade cx2 gyro question. What is to much gain?

The rule of thumb for the gyro gain is to turn it up all the way and then reduce it slowly until the twitch goes away, or at least is barely noticable.

The other side of the coin goes back to common sense: if it is running well for you right now, don't mess with it! Personally, I think that you can probably turn the gain down by 1/16th of a turn or so and you shuld be fine. If it's flying and hovering well, don't mess with it too much. Changing the gain DOES have an effect on the nose drift, BTW, so check the flight characteristics every time you make an adjustment.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:39 PM
iruleyou1

I have heard that I do not want to make adjustments with a full battery and rather 3/4 to half a battery. Is this true? Because I can tell you for a fact that my heli turns slightly in different directions depending on battery life. Would I want my adjustments to be somewhere in the middle?
Old 11-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Ryan CSRC

In every coaxial heli I have ever had, the trim drifts as the battery gets low, so I think that is pretty normal. Generally you want to set the gain just below the point that the tail starts to twitch.

Ryan Lefevre
www.CommonSenseRC.com
The Go To Guys For Electric Power
Old 11-05-2007, 05:36 PM
jmhh

Hi Ryan...know this is off topic...what do you guys recommend
for an aftermarket lipo battery that will fit the BCX2, will
charge with the Eflite charger, and comes with the needed
connections?...thanks. John H.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 PM
BryFlyGuy67

I know Ryan will chime in here with his recommendations. I will add my own. I have two of the DN 850 mAh 15C packs. They fit the stock CX2 battery tray. Some people here have not had good experiences, though; primary concern seems to be failing prematurely. Mine have only 10 cycles, but they are still going strong.

I also like some new Xtreme LiPo packs I got from Michael at US Hobbies over the weekend. They are 18 - 20 C packs, but will not fit the stock tray. I've cut away the retaining clips on my battery tray and secure the pack with a velcro strip, so I can use the Xtreme packs. Again, I can't attest to the longevity of either brand yet.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Wolfpackin

So far my DN 900mAh 10C battery has had the best longevity, 40 cycles and still strong.
E-flite & MegaPower started to deteriorate after only 25-30 cycles.