Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

G90 gyro for the CX2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Helibeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G90 gyro for the CX2?

Hello everyone,

I have been observing these forums for about two weeks and have learned so much. I really appreciated Soloboss' "tip sheets".

After seeing many posts on "what are the best aftermarket grips and blades I decided to order the Extreme core assembly. I will let you know how it works out for me when I get it. I also ordered an Xtreme boom kit and canopy and motors.

Now for my first question.

In the instruction manual of the CX2 it states that with the 3 and 1 unit you can use an optional head locking gyro as the 3 in 1 internal gyro can be disabled. I was thinking of getting the Eflite G90. I called Horizon and they said the manual was wrong, and it is NOT possible to use an external gyro with the CX2, and the 3 and 1 unit. The instructions state otherwise. I have a friend who is a pretty advanced heli pilot and I explained how the CX2 is wired, and he says there is no reason I would not be able to use an external gyro such as the G90.

Anyone have any experiance with this?

thanks,

Mark
Old 11-29-2007, 06:09 AM
xyster101

Default RE: G90 gyro for the CX2?

Have you flown with the stock gyro? It seems to work fine for me. When you let go of the sticks the CX should just stop and hover, no tali wandering. Why would you need to upgrade to a better gryo?
I did the spring mod on the TX which helped with the slight nose wander as a battery pack died. Just seems silly to spend 75 or so bucks on something which you don't really need. Spend the $75 on a Walkera #4 FP heli.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Helibeli

O.K. call me silly, I just personally enjoy RC hobbies trying different setups.
.....anyway my original question still stands, is it possible to use a G90 with the CX2?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 10:03 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am with Druss on this one. A HH gyro is a total waste of money on a CX2. They are just too docile to even need something like that. If Horizon Hobby says no......... I would take them at thier word.
It is your money tho. I have never heard of anyone using a HH gyro on a coaxial. Sounds like you may be the first to try it. At the very least you will have it when you move up to a larger CCPM model.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:51 AM
wsdepa

HH gyros control the speed of the tail rotor. What are you going to control or plug it into on the CX? As pointed out above, the CX doesn't need one anyway.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:17 AM
cx2cp+

in theory it should work, although i agree that is a waste unless you are just a crazy experimenter or something, then i'd say you have my ful attention and cooperation as i love that sort of thing and thinking things out - also i assume you have two or more cx's in case you fry or cream this one)

so, the gyro would have to operate/control the top rotor, just as your 3-in-1's gyro does now - you'll have to use the esky hh gyro as it is the only two-wire hh gyro on the market that i know of - you'd plug the esky hh gyro into the top motor hole and plug the top motor plug into the gyro's output hole - you would then turn down the gyro gain on the 3-in-1 to nothing just as you do when using a hh gyro on a cp, etc

if the 3-in-1 will arm then it will probably fly once dialed it (normal hh gyro process like on the cp)

let us know how it goes, eh

good luck and happy experimenting

edge
Old 11-29-2007, 03:07 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Okay, I have read all of your responses here. Let me ask, then, WHY E-Flite would state in their own manual that AN EXTENAL GYRO CAN BE USED with the newer 3-in-1 / AR6100e Helis and then turn around and say "No"?

Personally, I don't think you need a HH gyro on a CX2 either, but the manual DID say that it was possible. Any explanation except that they changed their minds? Certainly it IS possible to do it...
Old 11-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Helibeli

I believe I may have a bad 3 in 1. My CX flies smooth and hovers great except for the annoying constant yawing. I have a Thunder power battery, and everthing is straight and true. I understand that the helicopter only cost $180.00 but I honestly find it somewhat disapointing in the behavior of the 3 in 1, that as battery voltage goes down the CX will start to Yaw.

I am actually an RC gas buggy driver. It would be like me telling someone new to gas car racing that as their RX pack voltage goes down the car is going to steer more and more to the right and you will just have to constantly correct for it. Even sport RC RTR buggies run in a straight line with a depleted Rx pack.

So, my feeling was that instead of spending another $35.00 or so on a new 3 and 1 I would just upgrade as the manual suggest I can to a G90.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:12 PM
xyster101

All twin rotors will yaw as the battery dies. In order to set the gyro to begin with you need a battery with 75% juice left. Just take out your Tc spring on the left stick. You will never notice it again.
When I bought my new stronger motors I had to put the trim all the way one direction and as the battery died move the trim until it was all the way the other direction and then toss in some stick movement too. Pain in the butt.
I would love to see you try to put the HH gyro in to see what it would do, what improvement it would be, who knows, maybe a HH gyro will get rid of the battery dying yaw problem.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:38 AM
jlr
My Feedback: (4)

Helibeli - I guess you're in uncharted territory. I haven't heard anybody say it won't work.

cx2cp+ - If he has the version with the AR6100, why can't he just plug the gyro between the rcvr and the 3-in-1? I would think it should work if you turn the gain on the integrated gyro down to 0.

Did Horizon say why it won't work? If you give it a try Helibeli, let us know how it goes.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:18 AM
cx2cp+

if he plugs it straight into the rcvr signal hole - how he going to set the proportional with the stock tx? - this is not a tail rotor but the upper rotor and it is very necessary for lift not just yaw control - hence the odd routing through the 3-in-1, if it would even work

edge
Old 11-30-2007, 04:31 PM
evdreamer

I guy from the linked thread has used a gyro on his CX but he is using seperates for his brushless setup so it's not exactly the same thing. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447808
Old 12-01-2007, 01:56 AM
mrasmm

the proportional is controlled with the 3 in 1, the gyro just goes between the Rx and the 3 in 1 so the 3 in 1 will still control the proportional. IMPO it should work, I wouldn't really know what channel to put it on, probably channel 4 because that is usually the rudder. If you're ever gona upgrade to a cppm machine you coul just xfer the gyro over if it didn't work anywho =)