Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Any GOOD canopies for CX2?

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Any GOOD canopies for CX2?

Old 11-30-2007, 04:21 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any GOOD canopies for CX2?

I am just wondering if anyone has found any good, solid, thicker canopies for the CX2? I have gone through several stock canopies and then switched to the Xtreme canopy. I think the Xtreme canopies are really cool to look at, but in flight and hard landings (much less a crash), they are just as weak as the stock if not worse.

I have purchased and painted about 4 Xtreme canopies now and after a few flights, the holes for the mounting brackets crack. Yeah, you can tape them back together / use some CA, but that spoils the "Xtreme" effect.

So, if anyone out there can point me to a place where I can obtain something a bit better, or, if you can share some super-secret, not-so-obvious "fix" for the Xtreme canopies. I would appreciate it.

(If any of you dealers for Xtreme want to feed that back to Miracle Mart, tell them to spend a few more Yen and make their canopies a little more durable.)

Old 11-30-2007, 04:39 PM
J-MICHAEL

Default RE: Any GOOD canopies for CX2?

Hey Bry...Canopies...Lol...I hear ya there.. The Xtreme's are very frail when it comes to strength ! The first thing I do when I get a canopy is run some scotch tape inside on all the seams, and a little square or two on the inside where the rod's go through the canopy for extra strength and less tear proof. The more stickers on the outside help keep the thin plastic more secure also...Lol... The canopies look good, but strength is a downfall...Still have my silver Xtreme canopy from a month or so back...A good winter canopy for keeping the electrics dry, but ventilation is less on the Xtreme from my stock one that I had ventilated...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81739.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	815414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80069.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	815415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93471.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	815416  
Old 11-30-2007, 05:53 PM
OHaussie
My Feedback: (5)

J,
What is the boom you have on that little beast..? it looks sweet!!

brett
Old 11-30-2007, 08:23 PM
J-MICHAEL

Brett, The boom kit on the CX2 is from Boomtown Hobbies and is the M3 version...I just made it 1/2" shorter and cut away some of the mount to equal the weight gained with the aluminum sleeve used from two antenna packs...Just for bling, & making my heli balance perfect with the battery out...The fins I just painted & clearcoated just for a different look to amuse over...Lol..The antenna is a different diameter for each piece telescoping up, so if you have two antanna packs you'll be able to then have two pieces which are the same and you just find the diameter that fits the most snug as you slide it all on...It looks all like one piece once everything is put together and the two lengths are cut good...I've been keeping my weight of the heli at 227g for now, which is stock weight, but I fly outdoors and prefer my weight at around 232 grams for my preference...Have a good one, Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77682.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	815560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81621.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	815561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55021.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	815562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93300.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	815563  
Old 11-30-2007, 11:03 PM
GITRDUN

I put one stock canopy inside another and mounted it. You cant hardly tell it has two canopys on it because they fit together like a glove. Its twice as thick and takes alot more punishment than just one stock canopy. Its a little more weight obviously, but anything thicker than a stock canopy is going to weigh more too. Just use one set of rubber gromets and it will fit together nicely.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 AM
xyster101

+1 on the extreme canopies. The grommet holes crack too easy.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:03 AM
BryFlyGuy67

Well, I am headed out soon to LHS to pick up a stock canopy so that I can go have a little fun flying with a buddy in an indoor warehouse. I'm taking the TREX also!

Sooo........ no one has a better solution, 'eh?

Yeah, I have tried that trick withusing tape to reinforce the gromett holes, but even that doesn't hold for long. Interesting idea about gluing two of them together... I may have to try that. What kind of adhesive did you use?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:19 PM
nuts5000

after its painted
a couple of layers of good straping tape where the holes are work great

i do the same on 1/24 slot car bodys
Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 PM
goldslinger

I was going to suggest doubleing up the canopies too; thought it was an original idea.

I see I was wrong.

I don't see a better solution unless You buy a vacuum former and some sheet plastic.

I hear the Marine body is somewhat tougher.

Gary
Old 12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
J-MICHAEL

Gary suggested "CA-Glue"...I trust his idea, as he's are CA-TECH...Lol..
Old 12-01-2007, 11:22 PM
OHaussie
My Feedback: (5)

J,
on a side note , what light set are u running on the cx-2?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:34 PM
J-MICHAEL

OHaussie: I used to have lights, but took them off...But have none in the pics there...Could be decieving, as I highlighted the tips of the fins with a red and black "sharpie"...Lol.. I was thinking the other day on putting at least my front LED back on...Sucker is bright on the ground 3' up. RAM LED...The best in my opinion, and only personal preferance is from LIGLOW...

http://www.tjtrc.com/LiPoV2.html

I like the V2 version...There very bright and crisp and very realistic...There's vids on "You-Tube" and a few of the folks on here have it... Anyhow, have a good one.... Jeff