Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade CX folding blade big problems

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade CX folding blade big problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:24 PM
taven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade CX folding blade big problems

Hi, I just put the folding blades mod on my CX and it will not stay level at all. If I give it throttle it will nose over or go to the left or right even back, it has no pattern that I can see . If it lifts off at all I can not fly it for more than like a second before it starts violent banks. It flew fine before this mod. Anybody got any thoughts.

Thanks Ken
Old 12-02-2007, 10:56 PM
stump3r

Default RE: Blade CX folding blade big problems

Which ones did you go with? Extreme core? Micro Heli? or Xtreme? I had a hell of time with mine when I went to the Xtreme grips. If you have the Xtreme grips you need to shorten the little grommets that come with upper as well as shorten the flybar link to allow proper upper blade tracking. I'll finish typing this first then dig up the link where we covered all of this. I had to shorten the grommet as well as bore it out a wee bit larger to ensure perfect flybar freedom.
So lets start at the top and work our way down.

1. Flybar! Ensure your flybar can move super free. If you give it a whack it should bounce up and down at least twice. If flying Xtreme trim your grommet and flybar link as mentioned above.
2. Upper blade tracking. Once you have your flybar happy, get your upper blade tracking spot on.
3. Check that all your screws that keep the grips together on the blade stubs are tight. Loosen your pinch bolts on the grips, if these are too tight its gonna cause issues
Fly that bad boy....you should be close now. If your good go no further and enjoy.
4. Now adjust your servo arms to correct trim, if you can get it to fly but have to move your trim tabs to the extremes then your gonna have to adjust your servo arm lengths, or also called balancing the swash.
Fly it.
5. From here you may have to adjust your pots. I centered mine then moved them in super fine increments until I had it perfect. It was good enough at one point I could have won the hands off hover contest thread

If it still doesn't fly pm soloboss....he can fix any thing right solo Just kidding....come back and tell us what it's doing.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:02 AM
taven

First off thanks, I got a set from HeliHobby I think they are extreme core ???? I have both aluminum heads but had to remove the lower because the mod makes me use plastic. I balanced the upper head and shaft assy . And have checked that may times now. Tracking is well within flite standards. I even put my crash kit back on with no luck.

It is F*($EN crazzy out of control, maybe I will go back just to be sure nothing is wrong.
This thing is just starting lift off them it crashes to any side it might decide.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:15 AM
stump3r

Can you shoot some pics of the gear you have?
Need some better information to fully diagnose this one.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:30 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: taven

First off thanks, I got a set from HeliHobby I think they are extreme core ???? I have both aluminum heads but had to remove the lower because the mod makes me use plastic. I balanced the upper head and shaft assy . And have checked that may times now. Tracking is well within flite standards. I even put my crash kit back on with no luck.

It is F*($EN crazzy out of control, maybe I will go back just to be sure nothing is wrong.
This thing is just starting lift off them it crashes to any side it might decide.
Not normal symptoms at all..... it never goes in the same direction. I am guessing maybe a servo got damaged somehow or is going bad. the CX2 I bought from my neighbor had a servo go out in 5 flights........although he wrecked it in everyone of those flights.
Another consideration is......... how well do the servo links connect to the swashplate? Is there a possibility you installed the links from the lower head to the swash upside down? (The long groove goes down towards the swashplate).
If helihobby is selling the repackaged Dynam Vortex parts like the canadian vender is I have heard of some incompatibility between parts.
Could you post a link to the upgrade parts you ordered and recieved? I know at least for me it will clarify what your issues are and a good place to start. It is fixable, and I bet you figure it out before we ever get a chance to exercise our "collective " minds.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 12-04-2007, 12:27 AM
taven

Hope these come out ok. I have attached some pics of the installation as well as crappy instuctions. Note it says to not use a upper bearing holder but nothing is provided to make up for that. They say to use washers with arrows pointing to places but one arrow is marked out.

I have never disassembled this bird lower then the lower head. The swash plate has never been removed since new. I have crashed it to the point of blades and heads brakin but not much more. The heli flew fine before mod . It is right now all apart again, being a aircraft mechanic I will figure this out but only with your help.[img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71497.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	818189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78084.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	818190  
Old 12-04-2007, 12:31 AM
taven

more pics
Old 12-04-2007, 12:38 AM
taven

ok

Name:	Vt58088.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	818194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39650.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	818195  
Old 12-04-2007, 07:28 AM
HELINTX

Have you checked for flashing on all the links? If you still have the receipt, it seems like its worth a return. Many people do not recommend this kit from what I have read.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:07 AM
cx2cp+

yep - extreme core - send it back and go with xtreme, not extreme

some people stick with extreme core as a challenge to their mechanical skills - i think you have to use all extreme core stuff with no substitutions - especially watch the lower bolt head screw placement

until you have broken the heli down completely a few times so you know how everything works together, i would put it aside and get xtreme products instead - check at ushobbysupply.com

edge
Old 12-04-2007, 12:23 PM
stersman

From the description of your problem is sounds like you have a seperated swash plate which will cause unknown and random control just like you described.

Thanks to the picture you posted I can clearly see that your swash plate has seperated. If you squeze the swash plate back together it should fix the problem.

-jamie
boomtownhobbies
Old 12-04-2007, 12:43 PM
stersman

I cropped one of your pictures and circled the problem area. Normally the swash plate does not look like that. It has become seperated. A seperated swash plate will casue random control.

jamie
boomtownhobbies
Old 12-04-2007, 12:52 PM
eat2muchrice

Hey Taven,
I just got my Exteme grips and blades in yesterday and was having the EXACT same problem when I installed it.
There are two things that will help.
1. Your swashplate is way off you need to get that leveled and check to make sure that its not seperated like what stersman says. This thread will help http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642401
2. Once leveled you need to adjust you lower assembly head bottom screws. Make sure that the top screws are in the inner shaft holes and just readjusted the two screws on the bottom.

Step 1. Mark one of the bottom screws with a marker. So that you can tell them apart.
2. loosen one screw with a 1/2 turn.
3. tighten the opposite screw with 1/2 turn.
4. test fly and see if it got better or worse.
5. if its better then repeat steps 2-4.
6. if its worse then tighten and loosen the oppsite screws starting with a one full turn. then restart at step 4.

I've marked the screws that need to be adjusted in the picture below.

This will get you in the air, but even after 6 hours I'm still not flying right with this new setup. I still have wobbles while flying and if I make a hard "bank" my heli will drop. I'll keep tunning and keep you posted.

GOOD LUCK!

Name:	Lj22475.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	818429  
Old 12-04-2007, 04:23 PM
eat2muchrice

Alright I got my heli flying nicely.

You need to make sure that the grips are tight.
Level your swash plate.
balance your flybar.
adjust lower assembly bottom screws.
Line up blades perfectly.
reset your control arms 0.

I'll compose more and better detail later.
This is not your plug and play kit. It requires a lot of tunning. Well I'm new to rc heli's so It could be just me.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:44 PM
pmdevlin

flick the flybar off, and put the link the other side, it has to "lead" the blades. When using stock blades, then changing to the xtreme knock backs, its the only way my bird will fly. It will take about 5 mins to do, are you sure the top blades are tracked, there seems to be a lot of thread visible compared to mine on the rod?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:10 PM
eat2muchrice

Either way you put the flybar link it will always lead the blades .
but pamdevlin is right about being a bad flybar link .
With the extreme setup the stock flybar link is too thick and has to be shaved flat and the link also has to be extended till it will "see-saw" evenly.
That problem was causing my heli to drop when I make sharp moves. It restricts the flybar from tilting fully one way. Taven, tilt your flybar both ways and you'll see what I mean.
I have one more problem left I'm trying to work out (TBE), but when I'm done I'll post pictures and details about it all.

I get this figured out for the both of us pretty soon. (I hope)
Old 12-04-2007, 08:31 PM
taven

Thanks Eats2much, I am think you are getting me more on track just by reading. My swashplate is not seperated, but it must be unlevel. But really just wanted to note that my flybar is a shorter mod one with adjustable wieghts. But none the less I will try your tricks or tips I should say, before I just give up and buy another. And i do see what you mean by the flybar link needs shortened.
Please let me know how yours comes out and shoot some pics to, and I will do the same.

My biggest probelm is lack of time to work on it, I work on real aircraft all day but then i got a 5 year old autistic son that eats2muchtime,,,,,,,hahahaha that just worked out.

Later Ken
Old 12-04-2007, 09:12 PM
eat2muchrice

I've been snapping picture and i'll have them up either late tonight or tomarrow. I need to spend some time with my second wife . I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:02 AM
eat2muchrice

Here are the pictures of the flybar link.
You need to shave one end flat so that the link has more free play.
The grips are much wider then the stock blades. It causes the link to hit it.
Make sure you adjust the length of the link so that it extends far enough to push the flybar up (opposite end down). Adjust the link till both ends of the flybar have about the same see-saw distance between it.

Name:	Db86157.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	818835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11750.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	818836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di11243.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	818837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84262.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	818838  
Old 12-05-2007, 12:07 AM
eat2muchrice

Here are the screws of my lower assembly head after adjustment.
You can see the difference between the lengths.

Name:	Us53020.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	818839  
Old 12-05-2007, 12:23 AM
eat2muchrice

Blade adjustment and balance.

Make sure the grips are tight.
Take off all the links on the lower and upper assembly.
Adjust the blades as straight as possible with the grips. I used a ruler to help eye it.
Balance the grips and blades by adjusting one blade slightly forward or back.
Tap the blade to see if it bounces back flat.
Then take a sharpie or paint pen and make a dot between the grips and blades so that its eaisier to realign after a crash.

Name:	Rp43263.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	818849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93273.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	818850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16615.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	818851  
Old 12-05-2007, 12:37 AM
eat2muchrice

I reset my servo control arm back to the frist hole and moved the (foward and back) servo arm two holes from the center.
Anything more then that I can't control or the heli can't handle it and goes crashing down.
The third picture is just to show off [8D].
Thats all I got for now, I'm still having problems with TBE, but after all these adjustments, I don't want to take my heli apart to find the problem. Its probably in my inner shaft.

Name:	Yv65983.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	818863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46367.jpg
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	818864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21397.jpg
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	818865  
Old 12-05-2007, 12:44 AM
eat2muchrice

Well good luck. I hope you can find the time to work it out.

p.s don't worry about your flybar, just make sure that it's straight and balanced or just buy a stock one to use for testing. I always keep my stock around.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:27 PM
eat2muchrice

Day 3 with extremes [].............well I can get it flying good and get a desent hover. Its got great power, but overall stablility performance is poor. Either its me and my setup or its just too much for the cx to handle. I have to always fly cautiously and continually give slight counter adjustments while in flight. Any sudden response will send the heli into an unrecoverable dart [:@].

I spoke with the dealer (bladecx2.com) about my issues and he stated to me that I need the whole extreme assembly core. He told me the blades/grips are just spares for the core. He was very polite and understanding and would accept my return if I requested.

Taven, I'm not sure if you can spare that kind of time. I would strongly consider getting the whole Extreme core setup or try different blade/grips maybe Xtreme. I've spent over 8 hours working installing/tunning/adjusting/replacing/repairing. Since I'm all out of heli funds for this month I think I'll have to return to stock blades.

Keep me posted
Old 12-05-2007, 03:51 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Return the "Extreme Core" stuff and get the "Xtreme" upgrades from either www.boomtownhobbies.com or www.ushobbysupply.com.

I have not used the "Extreme" products, but by all accounts hee on the forums in the last 6 months, it is crap. Sorry. []

Take the refund.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.