Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Flybar mod question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:11 PM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flybar mod question

I want to be able to fly foward with out my flybar pulling my helicopter back. I bent my shorten flybar before I could try it out. I saw someone else do the mod in the picture and was wondering if it would help out. It is just as stable as the stock flybar in my basement so I don't know if it will act any different outside. To bad the winds are over twenty MPH.[&o]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56151.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	832235  
Old 12-23-2007, 05:40 PM
lseguy

Default RE: Flybar mod question

If that bar is balanced ok (flybar needs to be exact length on both sides, and the weights must be placed in exact place on both sides), that flybar should be fine outside. If you havent already, it would be helpful to move the servo linkage arm one hole out from stock. Two if you are very brave.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:15 AM
evdreamer

The bar and the weights are equal distances on both sides. I did move the servo linkages over one spot but the fly bar would slow my helicopter down in 10ft when I wanted to go faster. I just wanted to cancel as much of the effect of the flybar with a stable hover.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:52 PM
soloboss

From my experiments I have found that I can adjust the coaxial heli to do just about anything. Note that 'anything' is singular, no plural. You can adjust it for very stable hover. You can adjust it for a decent hover and more manuverabiity. And you can adjust it so it is quite energetic and can hardly be controlled in hover. You can't have it all, but like a grab bag, you can have all of whatever is in the bag.
You want to have a more energetic heli, use a lighter / shorter flybar. IF you take too much weight out the the flybar (or move the weights too close to the center) you will find the heli to be really hard to fly in a small space and also hard to recover from a fast dash across the yard. The opposite of "stable" for a good hover is "unstable" for dynamic flight.

Something that I have noticed is that any vibration makes the flybar less stable. And with that, the heli is more cooperative when I want to fly (not hover). So that does seem to be in line with the thought that the better the hover the worse the flight characteristics - certainly the more pronounced the pendulum effect that you noted in your post.

There are other things that can be done to make the heli more flyable, but the flybar is the cheapest place to start and will teach you more about the dynamics of the coaxial helicopter than any other change you can make. When you get close to what you want, some of the other mods will help you along. Light weight and power are good mates. A heavy heli with a heavy flybar is stable. The flight characteristics you want are in the balance between flybar weight and heli weight.

there ya go - now go play. And stay outa the Christmas tree.

Soloboss
Old 12-24-2007, 11:06 PM
evdreamer

Your right this mod allows you to adjust the flight characteristics unlike the stock flybar. I just used the stock flybar then cut off the u shaped part then put two CP Pro weights on it. This thing is a beast inside. Almost hit some furniture because I almost couldn't stop. Right now I set the inside of the weight to the outside plastic ball on the flybar to 47mm.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:01 AM
goldslinger

evdreamer,

I ordered some XTREME aluminum Flybar hubs from Michael at USHOBBYSUPPLY.COM and inserted and glued c.f. rod the right diameter, then used heavier than stock bullet weights (can't remember the heli they are used for).

My flybar is 5mm shorter (each side) than stock which prevents strikes, but because of the slightly heavier weights, behaves exactly the same as the stock flybar. I can slide the weights to give Me what Solo was talking about.

Everything has to be a mirror image! What You do on one side, the other side has to be the exact same; distance, weight, trueness.

The flybar I mentioned is totally unbendable, and I haven't broken it yet and I get pretty wild, sometimes. Have had it for months now, and all my helis have it now.

Looks cool, too.

Gary