Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with Single Rotor basics

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with Single Rotor basics

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:56 AM
UTM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with Single Rotor basics

Morning all. Hope everyone had a happy and safe Thanksgiving. We had a very nice but busy day of visiting with family and eating

Love the drill copter. What a great and simple solution to learing single rotor. I think the neighbors will be less impressed watching me walk around the yard with that though

Great day all!

Uri
Old 11-28-2008, 10:29 AM
soloboss

Uri, yes they will be less impressed. Of course they will. But the other side of that is audience participation.
You could have a neighborhood fly-in!
You could combine the drill-heli (Drillocopter?) with laser tag and have block battles when the guys on your street get onboard with this new game. I'm thinking that next year the local Thanksgiving football game will be so "Yesterday". Ya know?
You could chuck up umbrellas for the ladies and have Mary Poppins Night.

And this isn't nearly so weather dependent as a regular helicopter. You never get spurious signal glitches! You only have gyro issues when you get dizzy.

I can just see it now, with a squad of football jersy'd men running across the lawn with their drillocopters at full rpm, lasers blazing as they take down the guys from the next block. This year it's intramural and in 2010 we'll have the Nationals. And here we are, right on the cusp of a whole new sport.
Roller drillocopters.
Hockey drillocopters.
Combat Bobsled Drillocopters.
The OLYMPICS!

Sort of gives me goose bumps.

Soloboss
Old 11-28-2008, 11:23 AM
J-MICHAEL

OMG I just got done doing some FF with the Trex 500 and that thing is just sick ! Holy moly is all I got to say.... Talking about peeing yer pants !... In FFF it smokes my 450, and makes it look like the MCX.... I'll have to post a video later....Whew... I'am not sure if I should puke or just go lie down to calm the heart.... Wow.... I had to stop flying, as I was starting to shake from excitement and being nervous. Plus its been about 5 weeks since I've even flew the 450, as I've only been flying the MCX lately. I did film the first flight though... The other 3 flights, I took the hat cam off so it wouldn't distract me... I had all my settings set to a mild setting and only tried flying in idle 1 so far, but what an experience... I can't imagine how this thing will perform once I start tweaking with it... Currently its even over 4lbs, and you could never tell flying it... It still amazes me that something that heavy can fly...LMAO... I'am so used to my 450....

Anyway, hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving....

~ Jeff
Old 11-28-2008, 11:35 AM
UTM

SWEET Jeff! Can't wait for some vid. I'm so jealous. I'm sure it just flys stable as heck too.

Well I'm at work today[] I used all my vacation time up earlier this year when my son was born. There is literally nobody else here but me so I've been goofing off. See pic for refrence of the work on my desk

Uri
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25984.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1080250  
Old 11-28-2008, 11:39 AM
soloboss

J-Michael - great news on the 500! Hard to imagine that there is that much difference between the 450 and 500, but at 4 pounds there's gotta be something going on!
Man, if I had that much money out there depending on my dumb thumbs, I'd be sweating too! We're waiting for the video and as much as we like your crash stories, we want a good clean flight if you don't mind. Just this once, then you can crash it.

Always great to hear good news. It is too bad that you have wasted your money on a T-Rex 500 when the group is starting the move to Drillocopters, but we'll listen to your stories in spite of it - LMAO. New thought - since this is the single rotor thread, maybe we need a new thread for the Drillocopters.

MCX - when you are flying that little bugger outside, how far away from you is the bird? Because it's so small it looks like you are covering four acres!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:42 AM
soloboss

It's all about priorities my friend. I'm sure that the work on your desk is the highest priority work in the place. Such a clean desk- most commendable!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:39 PM
J-MICHAEL

Solo ~

Yeah that 500 is pretty fun... But now after flying my Trex 450 for awhile now, and even hovering my dads Trex 600 a few times, and now flying the 500 a couple times, I'd have to say the 450 size is still a great size for just some all around general flying. I think maybe it could be I'am still in the early phases of the 500, but even though the 450 does get small once it gets far out, I like the size for smaller areas that I usually get stuck flying at... But the 500 is VERY stable, and I noticed going VERY slow in forward flight that it holds it stability very well, where my 450 the slower ya go, the more quirky it kinda becomes. Its like the 500 will give you some time to correct as it maintains that gentle floating effect much better and much longer until the next command is given. The 450 is quick and snappy all around with controls on the sticks being constant it seems so far in comparing... The 500 almost seems like one big MCX...LMAO... I still love my 450, and in fact since the wind is calm, I'am cancelling the flight with the 500 and going to take up the 450 as I look at it differently now... I even scuffed up my CF rear tail rotor blades into the shale rocky ground, and the crown gears for the Torque Tube survived !

Here's some comparison pictures... They'll probably take up a page of yer thread...LOL....

Old 11-28-2008, 12:54 PM
UTM

That is one good looking bird my friend. It's no drill copter but you know I've always been amazed that the 500 class is just so much bigger than the 450's. It's darn near 2 times the size. We can't wait to see the vid. I'm excited for you buddy.

Uri
Old 11-28-2008, 01:52 PM
broggyr

Jeff:

I am truly jealous! Come & fly that thing over here!

Uri:

Believe it or not, I wish I was at work today doing little - just got done with 76 bags of leaves %#%^@&!
Old 11-28-2008, 03:33 PM
soloboss

J-Michael,
If I may steal the words of a young lady friend of mine; "Holey CRAP!!"
That's way bigger than I expected. I suppose that if we put Stum3r's Gaui 200 next to the 450 it is a natural progression, but I really wasn't prepared for the size difference.

All things being equal, a full size helicopter lives in a full size world, and any thing else is trying to cope with it. Air currents and even the mass of air molecules are full size so it's logical that a large scale helicopter would be more easily flown than a small one. So much for tech talk.

It sounds like you got everything you hoped for as you collected parts and built the big bird. Congrats on a job well done.

Soloboss
Old 11-28-2008, 04:57 PM
xyster101

Seriously have you ever seen an air molecule? They are tiny! Don't worry about them and your 450. Air molecules are like ants, a few are easy to handle, a lot of em, just need bigger feet! I have big feet too!
Can't wait to see some video! I just put a new feather shaft and main shaft in since my last crash 3 weeks ago. Seems to hover ok, but the wind was tossing it around a bit. A 500 would be sweet to get! We are all jealous here Jeff.
Poor Stump is licking windows and got a small toy helicopter My Havoc Heli might be bigger[:@]
Mark's heli beat him and was sold
Kenn left us for his woman or bike, not sure which Hope he is riding one of them
Poor UTM is stuck at work playing with himself [X(]
and Broggy is drinking glow sticks to make his pee glow green! [8D]

Jeff, we are all jealous of your new toy, but we might poop ourselves if any of us ever flew it!

Talk about a crazy group!
Old 11-28-2008, 05:23 PM
psb667

Ya had to order from xheli lhs just looked st me funny The guy actually asked if elfite made that I had to tell him it was walkera. I dont understand why none of the us hobbie stores get any of that stuff? In the EU its all over the place or so ive been told. Wow that is a lot bigger bet its stable as all heck to get some vid so my wife can get mad at me for looking at another one

Name:	Ay74625.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1080420  
Old 11-28-2008, 06:02 PM
xyster101

I will tell you why, my friend has a Falcon 3D fully collective pitch heli much like the honeybee king II. It is a piece of junk! The quality of the E flite stuff is so much better. I would be so mad if I actually bought that Falcon 3D at the LHS and then had to work with it. Plus they can only sell so many brands, otherwise you end up with more inventory then you can sell.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:51 PM
choppersrule

Xyster101(bone scraper),

I concur on the Falcon 3D, I had one when they first came out... in a word "El-Junko". See attached pictures, one is me hovering the sucker in my basement.[8D]

Jeff-Michael,

Your 500 is out of this world, excellent job Mister, I'm holding back on the YIKES! We'll be waiting for the video. (Hurry up! / Get'R DONE)

Mark,

The pale looking pink thing in our sink turned out pretty good. Hated to kill it, but what the hey.
We talked about the work thing a tad, well today. after eight hours on duty, I grossed $8.00. yep, eight dollars American, don't know what that comes to after federal taxes, state taxes, local taxes, social security and a couple other do-dads they get ya for. I think I have enough gas to go to work Saturday. My turn in the bucket. May stop by the store and get a can of SPAM!
I may modify the Drill-o-copter and see if I can mount some servos on it, that may help it pass federal standard, associated with the blade guard.

To All you guys,

I haven't posted alot in the last few months, you gents are leaps and bounds past my tiny knowlegde base now. I must be at a stand still, a lull, or just flat broke. You're all doing great and a great bunch of guys..

Take care and keep up the great work and friendships,

Dave

Name:	Ay73476.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1080448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36836.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1080449  
Old 11-28-2008, 06:52 PM
J-MICHAEL

Yeah speaking of Kenn, I hope everything is well with him. He should be getting ready to come home, or maybe he is now... Man you guys being jealous makes me feel terrible...LOL... But if it makes ya feel better, I purchased the 500 on Oct 3rd and just now have it pieced together and did the first flight this morning... It was Top Ramen and Toni's pizza, and T.V. dinners for two months to help fund this thing...LMAO... Now I can eat on a normal diet. Whew... It only would cost ya about $900.00 to get one flight ready and even maybe a little cheaper if ya bargained shop for components or even the heli itself, providing you use your 3-cell lipo's and run two in series to make a 6-cell to fly the 500... A lot of guys just do that, to save the expense of a charger/balancer, and having to buy new batteries. Finless even does this... I was up until 3:00 A.M. last night on Heli-Freak watching videos on that 500 video thread, and you should see two of those 3-cells running in series on those 500's ! WOW... Seems like they work pretty good doing that. Mosy guys have or spend $900.00 on there 450's... Just an idea to throw out there... Oh... And Top Ramen isn't really that bad, and you'll get kinda used to it... Honest....

My first flight in which I video'd I wasn't to nervous, but I also was taking it easy. But with the 3 flights afterwards I started taking it into FFF and that's when I started getting nervous and excited and such... I didn't record those flights, as I didn't want the hat-cam distracting me and I also didn't use my new neck strap for the TX also because I wasn't used to that either...

The other day to prevent sweaty palms in anticipation of getting ready to fly the 500, I put some Non-Skid peel and stick on a few spots on my DX-7 and it worked really good for providing a good firm grip... That sticky tape on that Non-Skid is super sticky, I was impressed. I got the thin stuff, and it sure helps for us noobs or anyone flying those super quick little Gaui 200's.....

I'll put together that video of that maiden flight... Hopefully tomorrow I'll take it up again... But Its been since Oct 3rd since I flew anything besides the MCX, so I noticed I did rust up a bit so I need to get on G4 and do some more practicing. I flew the 450 for a few flights just a bit ago and even the AR6100 RX had only one little antenna as the other must have broke off sometime, and that Trex 450 still got good range ! I figured maybe it would be o.k.... In my planks, I take them so far you hardly can orientate them and there also running the AR6100's... But of course they have the two antenna's that the RX should have...LOL..

Talk with ya all later,

~ Jeff

Old 11-28-2008, 06:56 PM
J-MICHAEL

Dave ~

Great pictures ! What's all those scuff marks on the wall from.....?!.... It looks as if a few heli's maybe got excited in there perhaps...?!...[8D]

Take care Chief...
Old 11-28-2008, 07:10 PM
choppersrule

Jeff (Little Chief),

Real funny. If I ever sell the house, I'll have to restain the paneling. Check out the wall outlet, it's the same one that the Vapor got stuck in. LMAO. The wife just noticed all the scratches about a week ago. She didn't seem to care. LOL

Dave

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

Dave ~

Great pictures ! What's all those scuff marks on the wall from.....?!.... It looks as if a few heli's maybe got excited in there perhaps...?!...[8D]

Take care Chief...

Name:	Ge94454.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1080460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38844.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1080461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76875.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1080462  
Old 11-28-2008, 07:12 PM
psb667

all right this has got to get figured out somebodys got to know what this thing is all align parts fit it but my flying only lhs guy looked at it and said what the *&%^ is that. so if someone can tell what this is id appreciate it. I know it says align on the boom that part I replaced just the other day after landing a little hard[>:] vapors run on dc

Name:	Lj22497.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1080465  
Old 11-28-2008, 07:15 PM
J-MICHAEL

Dave ~

LMAO..... Holy Moly ! It gives the hobby room character however. And warns others who enter to "Enter At Your Own Risk" kinda thing... On Heli-Freak last night, I came across a few who liked there Logo 10's better than the 500, so that was kinda interesting. I also couldn't imagine now what a MSH PROTOS will fly like, and there sooooo much cheaper, and parts also. RC-Heli magazine even has reviewed that heli as being the fastest and quickest they have ever flown... So once the economy gets straightened out ya may also want to check on those also instead of the 500 for this summer when ya maybe start looking...

Video should be up soon, have a good one !

~ Jeff
Old 11-28-2008, 07:18 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: psb667

all right this has got to get figured out somebodys got to know what this thing is all align parts fit it but my flying only lhs guy looked at it and said what the *&%^ is that. so if someone can tell what this is id appreciate it. I know it says align on the boom that part I replaced just the other day after landing a little hard[>:]

That is different huh ? But I'am betting Randy may know... I've never came across a picture of a heli like that... Interesting the way some of the things are arranged... It probably flies good though I'am betting eh ? That would be a good video, as different is good......
Old 11-28-2008, 07:48 PM
choppersrule

PSB667,

That is a Trex 450S. Just google it and you'll find many sites and forums for it. Or just click on the following: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...0s&btnG=Search

Dave
ORIGINAL: psb667

all right this has got to get figured out somebodys got to know what this thing is all align parts fit it but my flying only lhs guy looked at it and said what the *&%^ is that. so if someone can tell what this is id appreciate it. I know it says align on the boom that part I replaced just the other day after landing a little hard[>:] vapors run on dc
Old 11-28-2008, 07:54 PM
psb667

Sweet thanks now I just got to trick it out a little more
Old 11-28-2008, 08:06 PM
J-MICHAEL

psb667 ~

Sweet... A TREX... Go figure I didn't recognize it...LMAO... Way different than what I'am used to is why... But very nice !

I'am going out to dinner, but here is the maiden of the 500 early this morning...

Watch it in high quality or the video will be blurry....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzpZvjNViQQ
Old 11-28-2008, 09:05 PM
psb667

Sweet looks like its a real sweet heart in the air
Old 11-29-2008, 01:46 AM
broggyr

Max, you perv! Quit lookin' in my bathroom window. Got any blue glowsticks??

I replaced the King II tail blade grips with the CNC grips from a Blade400 - perfect match, no mods needed. Also had my first test hover with them and the Guru-Z frame - all systems are go!. Hopefully I'll get a better idea tomorrow of what it really flies like...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.