Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with Single Rotor basics

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with Single Rotor basics

Old 03-01-2009, 10:29 PM
stump3r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with Single Rotor basics

Wow 9sec, your really addicted, someone take his credit cards away!!!!!

After some playing around with decals I think I have a winner. I'm going to order some clear vinyl inkjet labels. I made the following using avery address labels. They are not clear so they only look good on a white background. Was quite impressed. Now just have to get a color cartridge for the printer and I'm set!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56664.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1148218  
Old 03-01-2009, 10:53 PM
BadLemon
My Feedback: (37)

9sec240

If you want the cppro2 to fly even better then bind it to your DX6i if you have one I would think you would with all the eflites you have. I see you have been talking to Glenn aka Rotarydoc we have been working on a program setup I came up with. I posted the setup on the CP PRO2 thread"see below" I asked for some help because the cppro2 flew pretty good but had to much head speed. Glenn suggested that I should increase the pitch curve and gave me some numbers to try. I plugged then in and it did handle even better but I had to stop using my DX6i because I found out I have one of the radios with the pot problem so I had to send it in. But all is well know I just purchased a new Blade-400 RTF today so I have a second radio I'm going to bind it to my cpro2. I'm very impressed with the cppro2 it is very cool to fly. The spektrum receiver, powerful motors and gyro upgrade made the cppro2 the best cp to date. IMO

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8503890/tm.htm
Old 03-01-2009, 11:24 PM
RMG2

9sec, that bit about the heli yawing left on the ground when ya first spool-up is normal for the seperate tail motor helis. Just remember to hold a little right rudder when ya first spool-up and it will stay in place just fine.

Though I never did put a direct drive (DD) tail motor on my own HBFP I have seen enough video of helis using the DD motor to know it holds much better than the stock motor. I know my lightly modded HBFP does not have perfect tail hold but it doesn't bother me as it works plenty well for basic FFF. I will admit that I have been tempted lately to install a DD tail motor to my good ol' HBFP just for something to do.

If ya can, would you do me a favor and take a couple up-close (macro) photos of your CP Pro's head and swash assembly? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:28 PM
J-MICHAEL

This heli has a direct drive tail motor with FP rotor.

9sec240 ~

Cool ! Remember if it was a FP (fixed pitch) it wouldn't be performing 3-D... I'am just assuming ya goofed in midst of your excitement. So your going to use this to practice in your small living room ? It sounds like it will be a lot of fun and probably perfect in the dome when you fly since there's no wind in there and cheaper to fix while your in a learning curve compared to the 400... Congrats !

Shane ~

Those labels look sweet ! It makes them look like they just came from a competition event.... They sure look sweet my friend. QUIT TEASING ME !...LMAO...

~ Jeff
Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 PM
RMG2

ORIGINAL: stump3r

After some playing around with decals I think I have a winner. I'm going to order some clear vinyl inkjet labels. I made the following using avery address labels. They are not clear so they only look good on a white background. Was quite impressed. Now just have to get a color cartridge for the printer and I'm set!!!!
Shane, will the ink on those printer made decals hold-up to a drop of water, or will they bleed? I'm really interested in this as I would love to create some personal decals myself! [8D]
Old 03-01-2009, 11:35 PM
baurwin

got to hover a few packs today, here is a video of my 2nd pack, its a little better hoverin than the last one

one pack at a time haha

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6ToWPi5t6Y[/link]
Old 03-01-2009, 11:35 PM
RMG2

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

9sec240 ~

Cool ! Remember if it was a FP (fixed pitch) it wouldn't be performing 3-D... I'am just assuming ya goofed in midst of your excitement. So your going to use this to practice in your small living room ? It sounds like it will be a lot of fun and probably perfect in the dome when you fly since there's no wind in there and cheaper to fix while your in a learning curve compared to the 400... Congrats !

Shane ~

Those labels look sweet ! It makes them look like they just came from a competition event.... They sure look sweet my friend. QUIT TEASING ME !...LMAO...

~ Jeff
Jeff, a 300-class CP interest me for a back yard, or tight surroundings heli to do mild aerobatics with! I am really partial to a belt drive tail which is why I am researching a Guru CP build. Otherwise that new little CP Pro2 would be a good RTF option. I could go the way of a Gaui-200 but I want something just a smidgen larger.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:44 PM
RMG2

ORIGINAL: baurwin

got to hover a few packs today, here is a video of my 2nd pack, its a little better hoverin than the last one

one pack at a time haha

Baurwin, you are a fast learner. You will caught-up with the rest of us in this thread in no time! [8D]
Old 03-01-2009, 11:57 PM
J-MICHAEL

one pack at a time haha

Baurwin ~

Great job my friend.... Remember, were all there with ya when your piloting that beast ! [8D] Glad to see that Acura RSX is out of the way so that ya got a little more room... Now for the Van, just call the tow company. LMAO...

I noticed at the 5-6 minute range you were getting some height in there... Your getting a bit braver my friend. Here's what I'am thinking, and that is I bet you don't need that training gear on possibly.... You seem to have good control of the heli, and I bet the gear is just a subconcious security thing for ya but I bet soon you'll be ready to take them off. Maybe try a flight once with them off ? (Don't forget to video for us) You got your launches and landings down enough that I think you'll be fine. Just upon spool-up when you start to feel it get light on the skids just shoot it up a tiddy bit to get in safe in the air, and when ya go to land ease her down steady and soft and you'll be fine.

Only when you feel ready... I'd love to hear what ya have to say on any diffs you feel with the gear off, and would enjoy the video to see you try... Just remember your safe in the air, but things can get hairy near the ground if the skids want to catch on that rugged asphalt. You may want to try on a smoother surface but that's your call.... Personally after watching your vids I think your ready to obtain a new merit for taking them off... [8D] It will probably look funny at first, since your so used to staring at the 400 with them on ! I remember on my CPP when I took the t-gear off I thought the heli looked 'naked'....Lol....

Thanks for sharing.......

~ Jeff

Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 AM
RMG2

Baurwin, if ya take off those "training wheels" be prepared for faster cyclic response! First time you make a cyclic correction you will think you are flying a different heli! Just warning ya in hopes of saving you some repairs.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 AM
baurwin

ive been thinkin about takin off the gear, like you said, i think its a security blanket for me lol. my only real fear of taking the training gear off is the times i kinda lose altitude and bunny hop occasionally. i really dont have a problem with it if the wind is not too bad, but when its blowin very hard i have a hard time keepin it up cuz it always feels like its tryin to lift up in the wind. i should prolly start tryin to fly in idle up. maybe that would help control it better in the wind.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:27 AM
J-MICHAEL

ive been thinkin about takin off the gear, like you said, i think its a security blanket for me lol. my only real fear of taking the training gear off is the times i kinda lose altitude and bunny hop occasionally. i really dont have a problem with it if the wind is not too bad, but when its blowin very hard i have a hard time keepin it up cuz it always feels like its tryin to lift up in the wind. i should prolly start tryin to fly in idle up. maybe that would help control it better in the wind.

Baurwin ~

Yeah for me idle up is a heli-saver in the wind, and I only like to fly in idle up from the beginning and although it made my cyclic response quicker it also provided me with more stability. You may want to leave the gear on until maybe you've tried idle up a handful of times. Kinda like towing a trailer behind your rig, disconnect it and the vehicle feels and drives completely different. I used to fly with the flybar weights on for awhile, and when I took those off the heli actually was easier for me to fly, and that was when I then ventured then into foward flight.

Yeah the wind can be sneaky and deadly sometimes huh ?! I remember learning and hovering and was in normal mode and the wind grabbed the heli and almost carried it way... I never flew in normal mode again, and just prefer the higher headspeed.

On my CPP before I completly took them off, I gradually instead just cut them shorter (length) an inch at a time until I gradually got used to the shorter t-gear and then when they were so small lengthwise I finally got rid of them altogether...

~ Jeff
Old 03-02-2009, 12:41 AM
baurwin

some times i take off up to the edge of the road and just bring it back backwards hehe, im still too skeered to try n turn it around and fly back. i picked up another lipo yesterday which gives me 3 now, hopefully i can start getting a lil more practice on days that are nice. o ya, got me a carrying case too, so that should help provide motivation to get the gear off
Old 03-02-2009, 01:01 AM
stump3r

ORIGINAL: RMG2

Shane, will the ink on those printer made decals hold-up to a drop of water, or will they bleed? I'm really interested in this as I would love to create some personal decals myself! [8D]
Yeah they bleed, comes right off!!!! There is a finish spray you can hit them with that will seal them, I'll dig up the link.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:12 AM
9sec240

9sec240 ~

Shane ~

~ Jeff
LOL... the "FP rotor" is referring to the tail.

Yes, I am flying this in the living room. So far so good. Burned through three packs already. I kinda like this thing.

Thanks for the comments. Looking forward to moving "forward" lol.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:02 AM
9sec240

ORIGINAL: RMG2

If ya can, would you do me a favor and take a couple up-close (macro) photos of your CP Pro's head and swash assembly? Thanks.

Let me know if those work.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:27 AM
RMG2

Thank you 9sec., appreciate it!

If you grab the blade grips between you finger tips and twist a little is there any slop in the whole swash/head assembly or is it pretty tight? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 AM
J-MICHAEL

9sec240 ~

...Lol... Gotcha... I was thinking you were talking about the top rotors... [8D] I like how they now secure the rear tail rotor on the new CPP 2. On the originals it was secured by a piece of fuel tubing. On my CPP's if I was to convert, or just use them for parts if I did purchase the CPP 2 I would miss using my CF rear tail rotors that I have on them. There very light and only weighing 2 1/2 grams. I was fortunate to never break one and always amazed at how strong they were, including the main CF blades... Although I only went through a few rear motors during the life of the CPP's, I think I extended there life more because of the lighter CF rear tail rotor that I used instead of the heavier plastic stock ones. But the rear motor itself was just to weak to maintain good tail control. The new motors on the new CPP looks much more promising.

Randy ~

Supposively the head components are the same on the new one as the older ones... On both of mine after time of course, there is slop in the head as you describe and other places also including the flybar being sloppy as you wiggle it side to side, and one of mine is equipped with new parts before I benched it if that helps any also... I was going to include a few pics for ya, but instead went into my older archives of websites I have saved on my other laptop and thought this website below will give you crystal clear close-up shots of the CPP's head if you were needing more.

It was great when I knew nothing and was learning as it basically is a build thread by B-Davidson here on RCU and is very detailed....

Go here and start scrolling down for whatever pictures you desire :

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31.../anchor/tm.htm

Hope this also may help some.... I also agree, I think it would be great for the backyard since there are now a few improvements and differences. You can upgrade the cheapo DS-75 servos with some HS-55 servo's if ya wish and just requires a small mod to do so which is found on the CPP wiki site if one desired...

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Old 03-02-2009, 11:28 AM
stump3r

Here is the stuff to try.
Clear vinyl paper
http://www.texascraft.com/hps/produc...cat=283&page=1
Laminate Spray to protect Decals
http://www.texascraft.com/hps/produc...cat=313&page=1
Old 03-02-2009, 01:41 PM
RMG2

9sec240 ~

...Lol... Gotcha... I was thinking you were talking about the top rotors... [8D] I like how they now secure the rear tail rotor on the new CPP 2. On the originals it was secured by a piece of fuel tubing. On my CPP's if I was to convert, or just use them for parts if I did purchase the CPP 2 I would miss using my CF rear tail rotors that I have on them. There very light and only weighing 2 1/2 grams. I was fortunate to never break one and always amazed at how strong they were, including the main CF blades... Although I only went through a few rear motors during the life of the CPP's, I think I extended there life more because of the lighter CF rear tail rotor that I used instead of the heavier plastic stock ones. But the rear motor itself was just to weak to maintain good tail control. The new motors on the new CPP looks much more promising.

Randy ~

Supposively the head components are the same on the new one as the older ones... On both of mine after time of course, there is slop in the head as you describe and other places also including the flybar being sloppy as you wiggle it side to side, and one of mine is equipped with new parts before I benched it if that helps any also... I was going to include a few pics for ya, but instead went into my older archives of websites I have saved on my other laptop and thought this website below will give you crystal clear close-up shots of the CPP's head if you were needing more.

It was great when I knew nothing and was learning as it basically is a build thread by B-Davidson here on RCU and is very detailed....

Go here and start scrolling down for whatever pictures you desire :

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31.../anchor/tm.htm

Hope this also may help some.... I also agree, I think it would be great for the backyard since there are now a few improvements and differences. You can upgrade the cheapo DS-75 servos with some HS-55 servo's if ya wish and just requires a small mod to do so which is found on the CPP wiki site if one desired...

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Jeff, correct me I am wrong but I don't see Bell-Hiller mixing on the earlier CP head that you linked to??? The BH mixing feature is part of the reason I am considering the new head for my custom Guru CP build.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:42 PM
RMG2

Here is the stuff to try.
Clear vinyl paper
http://www.texascraft.com/hps/produc...cat=283&page=1
Laminate Spray to protect Decals
http://www.texascraft.com/hps/produc...cat=313&page=1
Thank you Shane, gonna check at the local stationary store and see if they have these type products and if not I'll order from your links. [8D]

I usually apply the decals on my canopies then over spray with clear lacquer. If I sprayed the decal with the spray you showed, then over sprayed with the lacquer it should seal the edge so rain couldn't get to it. Not that I fly much in the rain but I have stayed out a few minutes when a mist of rain has started just to finish off a battery I started flying. Did that just yesterday in fact.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:00 PM
J-MICHAEL

Randy ~

That's right.... I forgot my CPP's have the Bell Hiller set-up and the regular CP's did not.... The only thing that changes then from someone to upgrade there regular CP's to the CPP's Hiller set-up and $15.00 later are the blade grips and the Bell mixer arm and pushrod set, other than that the rest is the same....

Old 03-02-2009, 05:08 PM
RMG2

Just came back from trying to fly! I knew there was wind but thought I would give it a go anyway! One battery through the MT and back to the truck. The wind was just rockin' the heli all over the place! I can't afford to crash right now as I am on my second week of layoff out of the last four weeks.

Came home and flew two packs through the Guru in the back yard as the house blocks part of the wind. Still so gusty the little FP was just bouncing all around part of the time but still handles more wind than I couldn ever fly the HBFP in.

Just checked the local weather and it's 14MPH with gust of 20-30MPH! No wonder the helis were rockin'!

Thanks for all the info. about the head on the CP Jeff. I may well build a CP Guru pretty soon???
Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
J-MICHAEL

Randy ~

Lol.... I'am still not very experienced in the wind with my heli's just because I'am a pansy to go fly in it until I can get my experience points racked up a bit more...LMAO...

Yeah the CPP isn't all bad, and the new CPP 2's are even better from what I see and hear. That would be pretty cool to build a Guru Z build from one for the backyard... Over on the Blade CP Pro 2 thread where you were asking about a few things, there is a gent there that gave ya some suggestions on the pitch range (Evdreamer) and he had those CPP's down to a pat. His name is Nick and a friend from over at the thread called "Are these blades any good for the CPP Pro". If you had any questions or needed any info, he is the guy ya want to talk to... Very, very knowledgeble !

Here's his CPP flying inverted in his backyard !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhYIJ...e=channel_page

He's got a few other vids of the CPP if you look at his other vids also... Including that of his little Gaui 200... If there's a will, there's away... He found the way with that CPP I'll tell ya !

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Old 03-02-2009, 05:35 PM
RMG2

Wow, Nick is 18 and only been flying helis since August! He is one of those "naturals" for sure! [8D]

I remember seeing that funnels video he did a while back I just forgot who it was that had posted it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.