Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with Single Rotor basics

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with Single Rotor basics

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 03:45 PM
baurwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with Single Rotor basics

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

Eddie ~

Isn't that G401b gryo doing alright ? I had thought it was a decent gyro for the price... I just went to the school field a block away for a quick flight with the Logo because the wind is starting to pick up, and man that thing is just stable ! A perfect scale flier, or anyone who just wants to go fly ! I'll download the video tonight, but as you know my experience level, you will see in the video how stable that bird is.... I did a bunch of nose in hovering that I've never really done before for more than a few seconds. The Logo you could do it all day it seems...! hek, as you know I usually come in for my landings tail in as you've seen... In the video with the Logo, I came in for a landing nose in ! CRAZY...! If someone really wanted a stable flier, I'd have to guess 500mm blades or larger. The Trex 500 is stable, but not nearly as much as this Logo... The Logo's RTF weight without the battery is only 1553 grams and so its really light feeling out there flying. SO COOL !

~ Jeff
i havnt actually used it yet. from what i have read, some say it holds as well as the futaba 401, but u know how it goes, always wanting something better. i was checkin out the curtis young blood mini g gyro's at the lhs earlier today, but they are out of my price range. right now, everything is pretty much out of my price range lol.

just got done mounting the 401b and esc. got all my wires tucked up and hidden away. all i really gotta do now is start going through all the ccpm set up and wut not.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:38 PM
9sec240

I am having issues with the tail on the Protos.  It flat out sucks.  I am running a GY401 that I just purchased new and the 9257 servo that came with the heli which is also supposed to be brand new.  The tail will not hold.  I have run it with the slider centered and with it set up correctly in rate mode and then switched to AVCS.  I started at 70% rudder ATV and got wagging with very light accleration / lift.  Backed it off till I got no more wagging and I still get  tail swing during collective changes up and down.  I also get bouncing with yaw changes.  According to the manual, I should turn up delay but it also says it should be zero for a digital servo....

not happy with the tail yet.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:05 PM
baurwin

9sec240~

r u running 2 3s in a series or a 6s pack? i tried to hook my 3s up in a series and got nast pop, when i connected to the esc. i hooked it up the only possible way you can so i dont know what went wrong, unless there is a sequence to the hook up?

if n e body can help out on that, be much appreceated. got her all ready for maiden but dont have batteries, doh.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:16 PM
9sec240

Burned 5 packs through the T250.  Man I will never get over how much fun this thing is.  I made an adapter to be able to fly my CPP2 batteries in the T250.  Figured it was time to cycle them anyway.  I now have 12 batteries that I can use in the T250!!!  While flying, I was trying to decide what to do with the motors and helis and pinion gears.....

I was slightly disappointed that the motor connectors on the Scorpion motor are a bit larger than the Align connectors which means I need to desolder and resolder connectors on the ESC to install it into the Furion.  It is also going to take a rewire as the wires coming out the motor are on the opposite end of the can.  The can also spins so I will need to be careful how the wiring is done.  This is not what I want to be doing at the moment...   so....

After cycling the rest CPP2 batteries and thinking about what to do with thenew Scorpion motor, I decided to just swap the XL into the T450 and run the12T on it.  I want to see how it would do in the 450 with the 12T versus in the Furion with the 11T.  WOW!  The head speed is NICE!  I am running a TC of 0-75-100 and it screams now.  Very nice and stable and punchouts are a lot more like what I want.  Still not quite quick enough but I think a good higher C battery and a set of CF blades should make a bit of a difference.  I ran an E-Flite 2200 20C in it and it came back slightly warm and the motor and esc were really warm but not hot.  I am wondering if I should run more head speed...  but I am flying woodies and do not have a metal head or tail...   hmm....

I am curious what the Scorpion will do in the Furion now.  If I run the same 12T pinion, I will end up with a lower head speed.....   Maybe I should just put the 13T on it and call it a day.  I know the head will take it and I have TP CF blades on the heli.  I bet it will scream.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:23 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: 9sec240

I am having issues with the tail on the Protos. It flat out sucks. I am running a GY401 that I just purchased new and the 9257 servo that came with the heli which is also supposed to be brand new. The tail will not hold. I have run it with the slider centered and with it set up correctly in rate mode and then switched to AVCS. I started at 70% rudder ATV and got wagging with very light accleration / lift. Backed it off till I got no more wagging and I still get tail swing during collective changes up and down. I also get bouncing with yaw changes. According to the manual, I should turn up delay but it also says it should be zero for a digital servo....

Ivan ~

It sounds like something is off causing the gyro to behave like your describing. Worse case scenario, Finless has a tail set-up video to freshen up on. Are you running a stepdown with that 9257 ? Your delay should stay at 0, and the 401 gets the best resolution with the limit set between 80-100. You can adjust the ball link on your servo arm using the different holes to find the sweet spot if need be. When I was setting up my 450 with the new stuff I had some major drifting, and tail wag, and the tail would swing around 360 degrees all from the gyro tape just came loose. That sucker was insane to control yet alone with the new motor and esc providing more power at the same time.... LMAO... I used some acetone with a small microfiber cloth and just "flashed" the sticky tape, which gave it a fresh "tack" again and re-applied it and the tail was then acting normal.

I also ran my 9257 once in my 450 without the stepdown once, and I would get a major high speed wag until the battery bled down a bit. I would just land, restart a few times and then it was fine. I ended up putting the reg back on, and all was well.... Some don't use them, but only very few.

~ Jeff
Old 05-30-2009, 09:28 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: baurwin

9sec240~

r u running 2 3s in a series or a 6s pack? i tried to hook my 3s up in a series and got nast pop, when i connected to the esc. i hooked it up the only possible way you can so i dont know what went wrong, unless there is a sequence to the hook up?

if n e body can help out on that, be much appreceated. got her all ready for maiden but dont have batteries, doh.

Eddie ~

Lol..... The "pop" or arch when plugging in 22.2 v's to the ESC is NORMAL.... No need to be alarmed. My dad when first plugging in his Trex 600 thought the same.... Mine does it, and so does everyone else's. Yeah a bit more juice than just 11.1 volts eh ?! [8D] It will do the same when ya hook it up to the charger also, well at least one 6s pack does, or even one of my 5s TP packs... Yeah when the battery is freshly charged and ya go to plug her in its quite a spark and snap...LMAO...

Now go fly.... Just don't forget to turn the porchlight on.

~ Jeff
Old 05-30-2009, 09:37 PM
baurwin

9sec240~

Eddie ~

Lol..... The "pop" or arch when plugging in 22.2 v's to the ESC is NORMAL.... No need to be alarmed. My dad when first plugging in his Trex 600 thought the same.... Mine does it, and so does everyone else's. Yeah a bit more juice than just 11.1 volts eh ?! [8D] It will do the same when ya hook it up to the charger also, well at least one 6s pack does, or even one of my 5s TP packs... Yeah when the battery is freshly charged and ya go to plug her in its quite a spark and snap...LMAO...

Now go fly.... Just don't forget to turn the porchlight on.

~ Jeff
that arc melted part of the connector, skeered the hell out of me. if its normal, maybe ill try it again. i am anxious to hear it fire up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73601.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1209143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51905.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1209144   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27187.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1209145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68930.jpg
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	1209146  
Old 05-30-2009, 09:49 PM
J-MICHAEL

Eddie ~

I've never heard of anyone melting part of there connector however.... The spark shouldn't be that significant to cause that. So maybe just be a little more cautious ? I'am even running EC3's with my Outrage 6s packs for the Trex 500 and there are no "burn marks" My dad even runs the EC3's on his T-600 and there the same... I'll be snipping off my Deans on the Logo soon also and going EC3... I gave the Deans a chance but as I figured, there a pain in my you know what....

Did you make your own connector to hook up those two 3s to run in series, or did you buy one ? Just want to make sure everything is wired correctly... When I go to plug in my 5 and 6-cell batts I plug them in clean and quick, so as to not sit there and keep arching the batt trying to connect and such... Kinda like your car batt, and when ya unplug the pos and go to touch it back on the terminal you get that arch upon contact....

~ Jeff
Old 05-30-2009, 09:58 PM
baurwin

nah i bought it, its an ec3 y series connector and there is only one possible way to hook it up the way the male and female connectors r. im bout to solder a new connector on. i think i just wasnt expecting it so it prolly arced so much cuz i wasnt connecting it quick like.

Name:	Sq46861.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1209150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29983.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1209151  
Old 05-30-2009, 09:58 PM
9sec240

Ivan ~

It sounds like something is off causing the gyro to behave like your describing. Worse case scenario, Finless has a tail set-up video to freshen up on. Are you running a stepdown with that 9257 ? Your delay should stay at 0, and the 401 gets the best resolution with the limit set between 80-100. You can adjust the ball link on your servo arm using the different holes to find the sweet spot if need be. When I was setting up my 450 with the new stuff I had some major drifting, and tail wag, and the tail would swing around 360 degrees all from the gyro tape just came loose. That sucker was insane to control yet alone with the new motor and esc providing more power at the same time.... LMAO... I used some acetone with a small microfiber cloth and just "flashed" the sticky tape, which gave it a fresh "tack" again and re-applied it and the tail was then acting normal.

I also ran my 9257 once in my 450 without the stepdown once, and I would get a major high speed wag until the battery bled down a bit. I would just land, restart a few times and then it was fine. I ended up putting the reg back on, and all was well.... Some don't use them, but only very few.

~ Jeff
Jeff, Iwent back through the tail and found that the tail control push rod was a little tight on the servo ball link. Iopened that up some. I also found that there was a bit of delay set on the gyro. I put delay to zero. Flying it was exactly the same but Idecided to make some gain adjustments. Iturned gain up and got massive wag... kept turning it down till the wag was gone and I was 15% higher than I had it set before and it actually flew a bit better.

Interesting that you mention the stepdown. I am running a CCBEC but it is set at factory default of 5.1V. Could this be my issue? When I purchased the ESC / BEC, Iwas told that it would be fine to run the 9257 at that voltage. Ido not have the Castle Link either.. damnit.

To be honest, I am not liking the CC80 much. Ireprogrammed it and it is still not acting the way Iwant. Super slow spool is WAY too fast. Every time I try to spool it up Ieither get a peircing scream from the motor and no rotor movement or spool so quick the heli spins 90 degrees and the blades clack. There seems to be no inbetween.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:16 PM
J-MICHAEL

Ivan ~

Crap, i forgot your using the CC BEC... You should be fine. The stepdown is only required if your running 6v's or more through your system, and even then there's still the few who don't... Yeah like Nick said you really need the Castle link. It will spoil you, and you can access more otions and get the ESC updated with the newer firmware. Most LHS's will carry that Castle Link as I've heard and seen for myself. Only like $20-23.00 bucks. So worth it... And you can also plug it in and use it for your Castle BEC and update the firmware on that along with other stuff.

Good find on the binding. Every part needs to be free and smooth. The GY401 and 9257 combo is the most popular combo with the Trex 500 including Finless. The tail should be rock hard. One flaw of the 401 is the known inconsitent piro rates, other than that the gyro is well known for ease of set-up and doing a good job holding the tail if set-up properly. Although I hate the heaviness and bulk of it, I can't see trying anything else and to date so far all 3 of my 401's have never gave me a problem... Very pleased...

My last video with the 500 that I crashed was with the CC 80 and the GY401 with a 9254 w/ stepdown... The spool up speed upon start-up is fine, but not near as that as the Kontronik's slow start. Spool-up with that you can slam your stick to the top, and doesn't matter, the heli spools up like a real heli, slowly gradually working its rpms up and about 10 seconds later or so you then have the headspeed for takeoff. Smoother than you'll ever probably experience. But I don't care for governor mode which the Kontroniks only run in heli mode so its retired on the shelf.

~ Jeff
Old 05-30-2009, 10:24 PM
J-MICHAEL

Eddie ~

Dang that's crazy looking at your connector ! [&:] I've never seen that.... Heh... Got marshmallows just in case................?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:53 PM
baurwin

well, tried again and it melted the solder off the connector, the whole y connector was hot, and batts wer warm to the touch. dont know wuts up with that.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:58 PM
RMG2

ORIGINAL: 9sec240

I am having issues with the tail on the Protos. It flat out sucks. I am running a GY401 that I just purchased new and the 9257 servo that came with the heli which is also supposed to be brand new. The tail will not hold. I have run it with the slider centered and with it set up correctly in rate mode and then switched to AVCS. I started at 70% rudder ATV and got wagging with very light accleration / lift. Backed it off till I got no more wagging and I still get tail swing during collective changes up and down. I also get bouncing with yaw changes. According to the manual, I should turn up delay but it also says it should be zero for a digital servo....

9sec, make sure ALL the tail parts are loose with not even a small amount of friction. If the tail still won't hold then the tail servo is not able to give inputs fast enough. Correct that by moving the ball farther out on the arm. If the gyro and all your servos are rated for it then switch your BEC to 6V and that will speed things up also.

The Protos is a first class flyer so there is some issue going on and with the tail it is often mechanical.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:01 PM
RMG2

Eddie ~

Dang that's crazy looking at your connector ! [&:] I've never seen that.... Heh... Got marshmallows just in case................?
I remember reading on another forum that someone melted a connector from the spark while plugging together.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:01 PM
J-MICHAEL

+1 Randy.... I just read over on HeliFreak that one gent using the 9257 on the Protos was using the most outer hole on the arm, which was a star one that came with it.......
Old 05-30-2009, 11:03 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: RMG2

Eddie ~

I remember reading on another forum that someone melted a connector from the spark while plugging together.

Ok Whew.... I went back and was looking at Eddie's pics again, and got kinda worried, and couldn't figure out why it would do that.....
Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 PM
J-MICHAEL

Oooooh 15 minutes of more light outside...... I sense a Vapor flight ! [8D] Gotta run !
Old 05-30-2009, 11:05 PM
RMG2

Jeff, sounds like you got some Logo love today! I'm envious, I want a bigger heli.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:12 PM
baurwin

i was lookin at a diagram on rc groups and it looks like my connector is not wired correctly. looks like the positive from one battery is supposed to go to the positive for esc, and negative from the other battery is supposed to go to negative esc. it is reversed on my connector, which is how i bought it.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:31 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: RMG2

Jeff, sounds like you got some Logo love today! I'm envious, I want a bigger heli.

Randy ~

I know you want your 600 class heli, and there's no doubt your getting it I know that ! I also know you probably have everything in your head of what you want also, and I bet its going to be one dream machine and I can't wait when you do ! [8D] You have all those nice new 3-cell batts just dying to run in series in something and all those chargers/balancers...... You should just get a used little 500 or 550 class to beat around with for awhile ? Nothing fancy but just to play with some bigger blades ya know ? My Logo all new, with that new hacker motor, 401, 9254 etc. etc. was only $200.00.... I supplied the battery...

Another guy just recently here on RCU just also got a Logo 10 3-D which is the more advanced model for also $200.00... Hacker motor, and a bunch of good stuff... Check it out :

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8791387/tm.htm

As you know buying used is scary, but................. ?! Just a thought.... I'am not saying buy a Logo, but finding a good deal used might be an option to play around with until your ready to fork out the big bucks for that 600.... Hek, I can't even muster being able to afford batts for a 600..... So much more mulay !

Eddie ~

There was a time back not to long ago, that Horizon had posted a picture of that harness on there website and it was wired wrong.... They also let some out in distribution of "bad" harnesses. Just make your own and play it safe... I do have a harness I made for if I want to run some packs in series like my 3s lipo's.... Of course it ends in Deans, but ya can kinda see.... Its next to some Nimhs from last night as I was going to try and fire up the Logo with them, just to toy around......

~ Jeff

Name:	By76302.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1209202  
Old 05-31-2009, 12:15 AM
J-MICHAEL

Ok the video on Vimeo is not letting me type in any info about the heli, but whatever.... Anyway, you all know my skill level and have never seen me doing nose-in's or coming in for a landing nose in, but this will help ya show how stable something with 500 mm blades is ! WAY FUN FYI........!!!!!!!!!! I just flew nice and slow and it was still nice and stable.... I'am used to flying fast as its easier for me since the heli doesn't get "teetery" with me going fast, but going really slow it does... But with the logo it flies like a big ol' CX2 !

http://vimeo.com/4917698

Everyone go find a used one !

~ Jeff
Old 05-31-2009, 12:21 AM
baurwin

well the frustration continues. swapped the leads goin to the esc and hooked up the bats. blades tried to start spinning so i stopped. unplugged the motor and rebinded the rx. checked everything out, and e'r thing was working fine. so i unplugged batts, plugged motor back up, and replugged bats. it didnt start initializing and then i saw smoke coming from the esc and i unplugged immediately. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 05-31-2009, 12:22 AM
RMG2

Ya Jeff, I'm sure there are some fairly inexpensive ways to move up a little larger but I know what I want and I'm affraid I wouldn't be happy with less???

Only flying I did today was 30-mins worth of GuruZ in the back yard. I love the Guru and it keeps me so in practice with all upright orientations. When I fly that heli now it honestly spends more time piroing around then it does flying straight. When I fly it all around the yard and over the fence to the neighbors side the thing is in a constant state of piro. When I do stop it from mostly very slow piros I always stop it nose-in. I have found nothing better for teaching me to be totally comfortable with any direction the heli is flying than doing the constant piro exercise.

I've also learned to fly it FFF sideways which looks pretty cool! [8D]
Old 05-31-2009, 12:25 AM
RMG2

well the frustration continues. swapped the leads goin to the esc and hooked up the bats. blades tried to start spinning so i stopped. unplugged the motor and rebinded the rx. checked everything out, and e'r thing was working fine. so i unplugged batts, plugged motor back up, and replugged bats. it didnt start initializing and then i saw smoke coming from the esc and i unplugged immediately. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
What in the devil have you got going on???

Does your "Y" harness look like this?
http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-74...Harness/Detail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.