Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade 400 - Tips, tricks, and mods

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade 400 - Tips, tricks, and mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 PM
r/cheliman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blade 400 - Tips, tricks, and mods

Thanks I'll give it a try and see how it goes if i have any problems ill be back with more questions and if it still doesnt work ill just throw the stock one back on. I'll probly get it with a little playing around.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 PM
evdreamer

It will probably take some more fine tuning on the gain since you can't do it in the transmitter for the GY240.

Nick
Old 09-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Shvelle

I thought I'd share some pics of my modified Blade 400. (hopefully the pics show...)
It started life as a reject - a defective servo caused someone to return it to the manufacturer. It then ended-up on ebay, where I picked-up and resurected it.

The main mods (to date) are:

-T-Rex 500 widened skids
-all-metal tail
-Scorpion motor
-hardened steel pinion
-hardened steel feathering shaft
-fiberglass main blades
-fiberglass tail blades (soon)
-fiberglass canopy
-carbon-fiber stabilizers
-Hitec 65HB cyclic servos
-Futaba digital tail servo
-spiral-wrapped wires
-modified frame to accept zip-tie over gyro
-fuel-line over canopy bar to prevent canopy from hitting servo linkages

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84248.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1028935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40752.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1028936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29885.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1028937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56165.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1028938  
Old 09-21-2008, 03:17 PM
laurence100

why would anyone want a trex the blade 400 is by far the best out of the two,it is cheaper to buy the parts are cheap and it is easy to repair if need be.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:02 PM
lje553
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello, I have been hovering and getting into forward flight. I was wondering will a cnc head improve the cycle stability and what all can I do to improve the cycle stability. Should I add some weight to the fly bar? I was also wondering what the heck does a Chinese weight mod do and how to do it if it will help. I can tear around on the sim really well but I still can't hover as well as I would like to. I have adjusted the sim to match the Blade 400 as much as I can. Any other tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 01:08 AM
dukeofearl

Having trouble with my JR 385 digital servos. I had a minor blade strike yesterday not what I would call a big crash however as a result two of my servos started to overheat at my next pre flight check and then stopped working. They got so hot I could smell them. I cant find any internal or external damage on either of them and I’ve broken enough plastic gears in the past to now when I was to slow to drop the throttle on impact. Both servos are running metal gears and at $75 each I’m not impressed that they have stopped working. Is it possible that my esc is failing and putting out two much power for the servos. I’m running an align ESC with a standard gyro. JR385’s with metal gears all round. Got me stumped, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:05 PM
mikeeternal

i have found only the main blades to be interchangeble, the alighn 355s work well
Old 09-29-2008, 07:47 PM
r/cheliman

I was just browsing through helidirect as i usually do every once and a whle and stubled across these. http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=3103
Does anyone know if these will fit the blade. They look pretty cool.

And does the trex canopy give you more room for a bigger battery. The stock canopy is a little tight with a 2200mah battery in it so i usually just fly without a canopy.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:19 PM
scottfl78

Just got my Blade 400, thought I would subscribe to this thread..
Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 AM
sn00p

ORIGINAL: r/cheliman

I was just browsing through helidirect as i usually do every once and a whle and stubled across these. http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=3103
Does anyone know if these will fit the blade. They look pretty cool.

And does the trex canopy give you more room for a bigger battery. The stock canopy is a little tight with a 2200mah battery in it so i usually just fly without a canopy.

Thanks.
You can mod to fit.... the mounting holes do not line up correctly so you will need to mark and drill 4 new ones (NO big deal) the horizontal landing bars tha slide into the uprights are very slightly larger in diameter on the Trex so the holes are a little loose. Again no9 big deal just drill and screw through OR purchase Trex bars.

Only problem i see is NO flex in the ali.... I prefer a little flex in the struts incase of a heavy landing. The more rigid the landing gear is the more chance it will transfer damage further up the line like the chassis on a hard stubborn landing.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Shvelle

I agree - having some flex in the skids is crutial. Either they flex, or they break, or they're so rigid that they transfer all the force into the frame, which typically results in broken skid-mount tabs. A good flexible set of skids will prevent this damage from occuring.

Yes, the T-Rex style canopy provides more room for the battery than the stock Blade 400 canopy. A GL450 or CopterX canopy provides even more (but just slightly). If you're just learning, stay away from the expensive fancy fiberglass canopies and stick with the cheap plastic canopies. Fiberglass may look slightly cooler, but it's really fragile and much more expensive.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:43 PM
JPEE

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/n...roduct_id=2904

Sir, I have three Blade 400's and I use these on the three and they have been lifesavers, and I would bet they are lighter than the CNC. Just thought I through out the idea.

JPee
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59252.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	1084509  
Old 12-06-2008, 12:09 AM
hrdcoreglf

I see a lot of people upgrading servos. The popular one seems to be hitec, does it have to the hs-56, or the hs-65? Can you use the hs-55? Anyone have thought on Spectrum DSP75 - 19oz @ 0.11sec - Super Sub-Micro Digital Prog Servo? Just trying to the best bang for the buck. Beginner pilot.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:02 AM
Carljw

I have the Spectrum DSP75 with the programer on the tail and HS 65 HB servos up front
and it makes I big difference in the way it handles.

Something I always wondered was if the DSP programer can be used for other brands
of servos that are programable. Any one try this.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:03 AM
r/cheliman

I am using hs-55. They work for sport flying but i do not advise using them. They were the cause of my last crash because i was stupid and flew upside down. The loops and barrel rolls were good but the last loop i puled it tight and the servo didnt have enough striegth to give the needed pitch for lift and she went into a downward spiral.

If you have the money to spend on better servos do it, its well worth it.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:53 AM
bchoper
My Feedback: (19)

Motor

I got a question for you guys. I've been trying to keep up with the useful up-grades. I got a used B400 put HS65 servos on it and a 240 with a JR290G servo. Set it up with +10 -10 I got the I-up set at 100% but when I punch it, it seams to take forever to climb out. If I had done that on my Rappy 30 it would have went out of sight. It just seems to have a sloooow climb rate. Could this be a bad motor? I have no idea how much run time is on it. Do I need a better motor? If I do need to replace it what should I go with. I have seen where son people say that the stock motor is great but if the one I have "is in good shape" I don't see where anyone would want to 3D this thing! I have had a few heli's and have been scared to do any more that just fly around. Now I want to get back into it and have put some time on this one. I like the little heli but feel it needs more power befor I try to do anything "3D" with it. I want to learn to 3D but not with the small power house I got. Can anyone help me? Please!?!?
Old 12-10-2008, 05:58 PM
r/cheliman

If its not the motor The only thing i can think of is the throttle and/or pitch curve is off. Or the head may be out of trim not giving the blades enough pitch therefore the heli isnt getting enough lift. Its possible it is the motor but i dont know how u could check that. I know mines pretty dam fast its no where near as fast as a trex or a glow but its fast enough to do 3d.

The other guys on the thread know more then me so u might want to wait for their input.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Evan T.

What do y'all think about the eflite upgrades I was thinking about making my tail all aluminum with eflite parts
Old 12-13-2008, 09:21 AM
bchoper

Will a T-rex motor fit in it?

Evan T.,

If I were going to buy some up-grade like that the first thing I would do is the swash-plate, then the tail. But that's just me, I have learned that to buy the off brand stuff you end up buying it again. I'm going on my past with my old Raptor, I did have good luck with Maverik and Quick UK parts though. One of the main things is if you want the color to match get it all from the same place or same brand.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Evan T.

I'm gonna stick with the eflite upgrades cause the color is nice and dark blue and plus everything will fit perfect together and it's probably stronger than other brands
Old 12-13-2008, 04:40 PM
bchoper

That's what I plan to do as well, but I have to fix my motor problem first.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Diizii

what is a better bird the blade400 or the belt cp I cant decide on witch one to get. It sounds like you need to put a lot of money into the 400 in servos when you can spend less money on the cp and put the same upgrades in it.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Shvelle

The Blade 400 is far superior in every respect to the Belt CP. I have had both. I started with the Belt CP and several servos failed while simply hovering. The tail servo is much more difficult to set-up on for a beginner on the Belt CP. The frame doesn't hold all the electronics very well on the Belt CP - it is much more difficult to keep a 'clean' look on the Belt CP. The ESC is weak on the Belt CP and has been known to catch fire. The gyro, servos and especially the radio/receiver on the Blade 400 are faaaaaar superior to those that come on the Belt CP. The Belt CP head is more difficlut to repair during a crash due to the overhead flybar design and the way the blade grips mount to the feathering shaft. The Blade 400 manual is waaaaay better than the one that comes with the Belt CP. It is much easier, and cheaper to find E-flite parts locally than it is to find anyone who carries Esky on a regular, affordable basis. The Belt CP ESC is factory programed for a hard start, which some people may like, but for a beginner helicopter, this is not ideal. The Blade 400 ESC is factory programmed for a 'soft start', which is much better imo. It is difficult to find Lipo batteries that fit the Belt CP - you have very limited height in which to 'insert' the battery into the chassis. The battery sits 'on' the chassis on the Blade 400, which allows larger batteries to be used. The Blade 400 canopy can resrict battery size a little, but you can still use larger batteries than you could on a Belt CP.

Don't get me wrong tho, the Blade 400 isn't perfect either - it has it's issues.
The motor bearing likes to seize. (but they will replace it no questions asked)
The battery can hit the motor because they didn't mold a 'stop' into the chassis.
The stock plastic skid supports are really hard and brittle and break easily.
The main shaft is hollow, so it bends easily in a crash. (this can save other parts from breaking tho - and a hardened steel main shaft is available aftermarket)
The feathering shaft is really soft, so it bends in the slightest blade strike. (and aftermarket hardened steel feathering shaft is available)
Old 12-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Evan T.

I would go for the blade 400 if I were you
Old 12-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Diizii

I'm getting the 400 you talked me into it . Just wanted to know if I should make any upgrades off the bat or just replace things as thay break. And I wanted to know what the flight time is on the blade with the stock battery. I have been flying the blade cp for 3 months is there a big difference in how thay fly. Thanks for the advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.