Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Blade 400 - Tips, tricks, and mods

I would advice changing the gyro and the tail servo right from the start. Most people are using the futaba gy401 with hte JR DS 3400 g. Thats what im using and the tail is rock solid. Before replacing the gyro i couldnt do much more than hover around. After it i went right into forward flight no problem. If you are just going to be using the blade 400 for sport flying the stock servos are ok till they brake but for anything 3d i would upgrade. With a 2200mah pack i get 6 to 7 minutes on the stock pack id say about 5 minutes tops. The stock dx6i has the timer set up for about 4-5, i forgot exactly, so id stay with that. A 2200mah pack balances nicely if you want more flight time, but the canopy doesnt fit so great. If you can fly the blade cp in a basic pattern and have complete control over it you should be able to step into the blade 400 no problem. But you must know that the blade 400 is extremely sensitive and fast. If the heli leans on the ground and the blades simply skim the ground your going to bed a shaft. I went from hovering the axe cp tail in to attempting to hover the blade 400 and it was a little overwhelming at first. If you take it slow you shouldnt have any problems flying this machine. I went from tail in hover to forward flight, stall turns, loops and barrel rolls with this heli in less then 50 flights. Granted i have about 300 hours on a simulator but the heli plays the most important part. I could fly the 400 without changing the gyro, after it flew amazingly.

Oh and if your just going to being doing normal uninverted flight i would suggest changing to pitch curve, the stock 0,25,50,75,100 diagnal line setup lacks sufficient lift at low rpm, in my opinion.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Diizii,

IMHO the gyro is fine for learning to fly, I would not upgrade that untill you feel like it is holding you back. The servos however I would take off as soon as you get it and replace them. They are CRAP!!! Mine blew one out on the very first flight of no more than hovering!!! Take them off and put on some HS65HB's (cheeper and lighter) or HS65MG's and if you can get a HS81 for the tail.
    The Older I Get The Faster I Was!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got my blade today no chance to fly it got home to late. You suggest changing the pitch curve for just normal flight, what should I change it to. This remote scares the heck out me I hope I dont mess up any settings. Besides pitch curve are all the other setting ok. I'm going to fly with just the stock electronics untill next payday hope It lasts that long. Thanks for the advice

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have my normal mode pitch curve at L=50.0 2=59.5 3=71.0 4=83.0 H=100.0 With this im always getting positive lift. my blade 400 lifts off at about 1/4-1/3 throttle with the stock i had to be at like 2/3 making my stick window for normal flight very small. With that pitch curve you have a lot more room to more the throttle stick without losing lift. Its very responsive and will can gain altittude very quickly if you want it to. in my opinion it is not realy sensitive to throttle change but i have a good amount of experience with this heli and am very precise with my stick movement. (I like the aircraft to look scale when it flies, not good with 3d, lol) Try it first and you may need to adjust it for your own liking.

Have fun with your new blade 400, but be careful it doesnt tip, stuff breaks with minimal ground contact; its pretty good if you take a hard landing right flat on both skids, THANK GOD.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just got my blade and I noticed that the tail servo does not stay centered the servo horn moves to the left and makes a lot of noise. just wanted to know if that is normal or if I need to replace it I still havent flown it yet due to weather.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's normal - the servo is twitching like that because the gyro is doing it's job, sensing any movement and working to keep the tail straight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just got the B400 and thought i'd ask a question. During the first and second flight i had no problems except for how hard it was to fly. During the third flight i had noticed that it had a wobble which made it difficult to control and resulted in setting it down to fast with a boomstrike. Replaced the damaged parts and the wobble is still there. Is this something to do with the balance of the blades or what? I want to fix the wobble so i can go back to flying this thing again. Please help!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Diizii

I just got my blade and I noticed that the tail servo does not stay centered the servo horn moves to the left and makes a lot of noise. just wanted to know if that is normal or if I need to replace it I still havent flown it yet due to weather.
    What you need to do is set it up in rate mode with sub trim for the rudder so when the tail slider goes left or right it does not bind. Get it centered in rate made and if the servo drifts on way or the other when you let go of the stick give it a little sub rudder trim. What you want is for the tail slider to just barley touch the touch the end of its travel both ways. Once you get it to stay centered in rate mode it should be good in Heading
    hold. Hope this helps
    MCX CX2 CPP B400 Trex 500 DX6i
    Hyperion EOS 0606i AC/DC Carl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: johnniesav

I just got the B400 and thought i'd ask a question. During the first and second flight i had no problems except for how hard it was to fly. During the third flight i had noticed that it had a wobble which made it difficult to control and resulted in setting it down to fast with a boomstrike. Replaced the damaged parts and the wobble is still there. Is this something to do with the balance of the blades or what? I want to fix the wobble so i can go back to flying this thing again. Please help!
    Did you replace the feathering shaft, that would do it. If it is bent even just a little it will wobble.
    If the blade tracking is off too much it will wobble, did on mine once.
    Take one blade off and use a alan wreanch to turn the fearhering shaft on the other end, if the remaining blade
    moves up and down the feathering shaft is bent.
    MCX CX2 CPP B400 Trex 500 DX6i
    Hyperion EOS 0606i AC/DC Carl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Carljw is correct.
    Another possible cause of wobble could simply be that one of the main blade bolts is tighter than the other.
    It is common for new fliers to either have these too loose or too tight or mix one loose with the other tight.
    Make sure both the bolts that secure the main blades to the blade grips are the same in terms of how tight they are.
    If one is tighter than the other, it can cause one blade to 'stick' at a slight angle while it rotates, resulting in a vibration.

I just set mine by feel now, but a possible way to test this for yourself would be...
    With the blades out straight, you should be able to tilt your helicopter to the side and the blades should stay straight - they shouldn't move in the blade holders.
    If you give the heli a mild shake while it's on it's side, the blades should move in the blade holder.

If the blades move on their own when you tilt the heli on its side, then they are set too loose.
    If the blades don't move at all with a slight shake, then they are set too tight.
    And the blades should move the same amount (aproximately), or you could get a vibration.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if all of those suggestionsa still dont help the main shaft could be bent. If u spin the rotor head by hand and look at the swash plate u can see a slight side to side motion in the swash plate if the shaft is bent. In a crash the main things to go are the main shaft, spindle shaft and sometimes the tail shaft.i had a similar problem of waballing after a slift crash and it was the main shaft and i had vibration in the tail which was caused by the tail drive shaft being bent an anoticable amount to the eye but caused the entire tail section to become a blur.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

does the hs 81 servo for the tail work with he stock gyro is that a good choice or is there something better. Thanks for all the help

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have a blade 400 3d and am haveing trouble flying it.it came with the dx6i radial.ive tried evrything it always wants to lift to the left and back.no matter what i do.im takeing it to a local rc shop tp see if there is a problem im over looking.but i can say i would rather have the cnc upgrades for the heli.cause for the other 5 helis i have with the cnc upgrades fly so much better no.better responce and less slack in the linkage
    crash`s come easy patience dont

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you know i have a wobble too.ive replaced every thing from the feathering shaft to the main shaft to the blades and the fly bar.still it shakes i cannot stop it for shakeing
    crash`s come easy patience dont

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=sokal11&view=videos watch the videos on setting up the blade 400. I followed these precisly and it made my heli fly rock sold steady in a hover.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got the hs 81 metal gear servo for the tail and it's a lot bigger I just wanted to know how how you mount it do you need differant mounting brackets. Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info. I seen a video on youtube where i could set the pitch curve for a begginer pilot. Doing that gave me a slower head speed. After taking my heli to the LHS and the heli expert being baffled on what was causing the wobble, he suggested setting the pitch curve to default. I did and the wobble is gone and it flys so much better. The blades just were not spinning fast enough to balance the blades, stabblize the heli or something like that. I hope this info can help somebody in the future.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wih my blade 400 I cheacked the pitch in stunt mode full throtle it is at +10 and at half stick its at +1 and negetive pitch is 5 or 6 shouldnt full -pitch be at 10 also this is with all stock settings the only thing I did is increase the normal pitch curves. Any advice would be great thank you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

where should the switches and gain adjuster on the gyro itself be set?
    Wisdom is only as good as the person you give it to.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am revisiting thread question because I have not found any answer in other threads. Always the TX settings. I have read as much of this thread as I can to see if anyone listed them, but I have not come apon that post yet. Anyone?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you looking for the stock transmitter settings?

Nick
    MA Furion 450, Whiplash E

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No, there are two switches 1- reverse, normal 2- digital, standard and the gain adjust dial on the gyro itself. Tx is allready set up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With the stock tail servo the 2nd switch should be on standard and the first switch depends on the heli. It is the direction the gyro corrects for yaw. You will know real quick if that switch is in the wrong position because the heli will spin out of control. If you plug in the battery and yank on the tail the you should see the tail blades rotate the opposite direction they are facing. If it goes in the same direction then the first switch is backwards. Hope that is what you are looking for. The gain on the gyro won't do anything as long as the single yellow wire is plugged into the GEAR channel of the receiver. Then you control the gain through the gain menu on the transmitter.

Nick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Isn't the stock servo a digital servo? I switched it to digital and have not had a problem. Now take in mind that I just completed Radd's School of Rotary Flight. I can hover for a full battery thats about it right know, so the stress I am putting on the servo is nothing. I will upgrade soon. I switched out the other 3 stock servos for hitech HS-65HB's. I have had no crashes yet but did hit the tips of my first set of blades on the edge of a wall. Its funny, even though I have prior RC experience, I did what I am sure a lot of first timers to heli do. I just crab the remote and think I can do this. Well thanks to Radd I actually did learn to hover under control in ten batteries time. I didn't do that with the first experience that I had with a Exceed raptor g-2 which I can now fly. I just charged the battery and tried to fly. Now I did buy the G2 cheap and it was not fully assembled so I learned the mechanics of a heli, but flying them is a totally different story. It is a great feeling the first time you take off and stay up. I am hoping to get good enough to get race footage birds eye, at our local tracks. There is a lot of time between races when you only race one class. I think it would make for some great footage, and a fun way to get it. I am sure I will be into a little bigger heli by then.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I didn't know they switched over to digital. I just checked on Horizon's site and it does say digital. So yeah you want the gyro switch to be towards the digital side.

Nick

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast