Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Why add all the CX2 aluminum parts???

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Why add all the CX2 aluminum parts???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 04:31 PM
RMG2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why add all the CX2 aluminum parts???

I'm having a hard time understanding why so many CX2 owners add all the aftermarket aluminum parts to their helis??? I can understand replacing stock plastic parts with aluminum where chronic breakage occurs, but adding aluminum just for the "bling" factor adds unnecessary weight. The only advantage added weight might have for a CX2 is in hover stability, but in every other flight aspect added weight will kill performance!

I saw this same thing happen a lot racing Monster Truck class in the RC Pro Series. Guys would put all the aluminum stuff on their trucks and then wonder why their trucks were slow, handled badly, jumped badly, and burned-up clutches and engines

For our CX2 helis more weight equals less run time, greater chance of blade clack under heavy wing/blade loading, slugish performance, more expense in both aftermarket parts, and repairs after crashes. Remember, plastic gives a little under stress, and because of that will often take more abuse then will an aluminum replacement part. Also, if you add rigidity to one part, then the load, or crash stress goes to the next part in connection with the rigid part. When those aluminum swashplates don't give a little under load, or crash stress where is the stress energy going? That's right, it's going into the more-expensive-to-replace servo! Think about it???

In my humble opinion, the best compromise for performance and durability for our CX2's is a blend of NECESSARY (for strength) aluminum, and stock plastic parts.

Of course, if you are just wanting to build a "shelf queen" then by all means add all the "bling" you can get for your heli
Old 01-07-2008, 04:37 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Why add all the CX2 aluminum parts???

Ok, then in your opinion, which parts should be upgraded to aluminum?
Old 01-07-2008, 04:39 PM
stump3r

RMG your bang on with your comments. The large majority of us that have all CNC birds do one major thing to counter the weight. We all run the Xtreme 180 motors, silver brushes and all of us have higher rated lipos. I personally have been a little rough with my CX2 and with the exception of the airframe, servos and swash I have broken, bent and otherwise destroyed every part of the heli. I upgraded to all aluminum, saves a ton on plastic parts. The only real kicker with CNC rotor hubs is instead of shearing the blade pins, now it bends shafts. One huge upgrade regardless of weight is blade grips, they are a shaft saver! Since moving to the Xtreme grips I have only had to replace 1 outer and 1 inner shaft, and the reality of that is silk plants in the living room can destroy a heli quicker than flying into a brick wall.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:51 PM
RMG2

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Ok, then in your opinion, which parts should be upgraded to aluminum?
That's an easy answer. Which ever part(s) you consistently have breakage problems with. Or put another way, I would run the lightest weight parts I can and have a reliable heli.

Not trying to step on any manuf. toes, but not all after-market parts are necessary, are an improvement, or are even more functional. This statement applies to every machine in our lives, not just RC.

The point of this post is simply to let all the new CX2 users know that they don't need to rush out and buy all this after-market stuff to have a well flying heli. It's nice to have options, but the last thing a new RC heli owner should be worred about is upgrades to his/her heli.

Just my opinion, we all have one
Old 01-07-2008, 04:56 PM
goldslinger

I agree with Both of You.

Mine is completely aluminum and is only 4.5 Grams heavier than stock. But that is because I went into it with the mindset of not just looks, but durability.

Not only is it virtually indestructible, it is light and agile as I have countered the weight with strong, but light materials with C.F. outer and Titanium Inner, C.F. BOOM, C.F. flybar, etc.

So in my case, it's not just looks, but durability. If they made C.F. grips, I would buy those instead.

I agree that If You overdo it, You will shorten the life of the motors, batteries get hotter, flight times are shortened, the gears wear out sooner, etc.

I am running 22c batteries, not because of the added weight, but I like the added agility and I crash less because the power is there when I need it, esp. at the end.

Alot of people by now have gone full circle, and I don't think there's nothing wrong with the stock swash, and if You have the XTREME motors, You could lose the heat sinks. Just monitor the motor temps, that's all.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:25 AM
Vistralan

Goldslinger, are you working on an indestructible Trex 450 SE v2 yet? reason I ask is I know you just got one and that is what I'm looking to move up to in a few months =)
Old 01-08-2008, 11:08 AM
goldslinger

ORIGINAL: Vistralan

Goldslinger, are you working on an indestructible Trex 450 SE v2 yet? reason I ask is I know you just got one and that is what I'm looking to move up to in a few months =)

Good Choice !

The price upfront makes people hesitate, but replacement parts are cheap, and You won't find an easier CCPM heli to learn to fly because of it's quality and therefore, inherent stability.

I think the T-REX will be the tinkerer's dream, tweaking this and that, but as far as upgrades; it is so near perfect; I don't know how in the world I could improve it. The consequences of experimentation on a 3k head speed heli could be dire.

Mine is coming with all aluminum and metal geared servos, digital tail rotor servo, etc. already.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:56 AM
The Hedgehog

I was going to make a thread on this tomorrow ha! I see some of these CX's so blinged out and wondering why, aside if it is a shelf queen. I agree I guess some things can be done to make the bird more stable but I found it very easy out of the box, so easy I got bored with it within a week.

Are you guys breaking a lot of parts on your CX's?

Sorry for being ignorant I was just thinking about this and wondering how effective the aluminum is when you can put the money towards more batteries or something of that nature.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:18 PM
notasme

RMG2

I agree with you and I have said similar in other CX2 posts.
This bird is as entry level as it gets (today). Mods only complicate
this for those just starting out.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:32 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added the aluminum and after market upgrades to add some weight to my CX2. So that when flying outside it wouldn't be tossed around by the slightest breeze.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:11 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Some of the mods are purely cosmetic in nature, whereas others truly help you. Here are a few that come to mind:

1. Unbreakable / super skids
2. CF tail boom
3. Extra, higher "C" rating batteries
Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM
stinknugget
My Feedback: (1)

Im slowly starting to get the bug for a heavier heli for outside. Using the proper setup you could have everything aluminum and stil have great flight characteristics as well as a decent flight time. My first and current heli is alll plastic except for the upper and lower rotor heads, the upper is stock now and the lower is the microheli which is by far better than the eflight. I believe i am going to start building an all aluminum and carbon fiber cx2 from scratch soon as i am getting pretty good at flying this one. Anyway you cut it, have fun!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:37 PM
stump3r

Bry, don't forget blade grips and better blades. I would have never been able to afford my #4 without changing blades on my heli.