Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

home made dual tail motors CP+

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

home made dual tail motors CP+

Old 01-15-2008, 10:25 AM
GITRDUN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home made dual tail motors CP+

I added a dual tail motor to my CP+ after another one went bad and ended in a nasty crash, again. Only complaint i have about the Blade CP is the tail motor, it doesnt last long at all and gets to be a handfull when they start to get worn. I bought two motors and a glued a second tail motor mount on top of the stock mount. It works great, only problem is the tail is so heavy now that i had to add modeling clay in the nose to try and get the COG back where it should be. It wont fly like a ferrari anymore because of all the weight but i dont plan on any 3d flying anyways. Flys more like a scale model now than a Blade CP. Im disgusted with fighting the tail motor problems on this thing. This fix might be over kill but at least it will fly for a long while now without tail problems , i hope.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:12 PM
eat2muchrice

Default RE: home made dual tail motors CP+

Pictures please It sounds cool.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:09 PM
GITRDUN

I will try and take some pictures tonight for ya.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 PM
GITRDUN

ORIGINAL: GITRDUN

I will try and take some pictures tonight for ya.
Its a little crude but it works.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50820.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	852371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69439.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	852372  
Old 01-15-2008, 11:30 PM
J-MICHAEL

GITRDUN--

It's not crude at all... Looks great ! And if it works, who cares ?! Your quite the fighter with that CP ! I've followed your progress as we both mingle through the E-Flite forum, and glad to see you taking the reigns on these finicky CP's... I'll never give up on mine either. In fact, now I have two CPP's ! Shoot me now if ya wish, but I'am going to win in the end with this heli... If you can ever get the chance and purchase a Trex, or something similar, it sure is a big diff in the flying characteristics and performance. My Trex is night and day from my CPP as I know you've already heard over and over from these forums, but thought I would remind ya once again.

I noticed on your gyro you have it ziptied... That would be considered a "no-no" by the vets here as it contributes to added vibration to the gyro which could affect it's overall performance. Just using double sided sticky tape works the best as it helps dampen the gyro. I was like you don't worry, and thought about using a zip-tie for the added security of the install, but a lot of research proved I was wrong. Just thought I would share this thought with ya... But if it's working alright for ya, maybe just leave it but keep it in mind for the future.

I like the looks of your CPP... Worse comes to worse on your tail-heavy problem, you could always lose the rear fin, but I do like the looks of it. It makes the CP complete, and I bet very visible for flight when trying to keep orientation for flight.

Have a good one,

-- Jeff
Old 01-16-2008, 01:03 AM
eat2muchrice

Thats one hell of a job. It looks great. I think an LED light would fit perfectly in the hole of the mount, that would add more weight but look sweet. You could also lighten your tail by removing the heatsink and maybe cut off the extra bearing mount holder with a dremel.
Thanks for the pictures.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:02 AM
GITRDUN

I never heard of the zip tie causing vibration, i saw some photos of others who had theirs zip tied down and just assumed that was the way it was suposed to be. Thanks for the tip.
I think i will have to remove the tail fin and as much as i can from the motor mount etc. to reduce weight. I hate to take that fin off but somethings gotta go. It makes it much easier to see for orientation as you said. I had a lot of problems starting out not being able to clearly see the tails direction when it got a little ways away.
I think i have fixed my tail motor problems permanently but created other problems in the process. Someday im sure i will just buy a better motor mount or switch to a brushless system maybe. Till then ill just do what i can and live with it.
Id love to have a larger heli, but after getting a Stryker plane and flying the heck out of it im not sure i want to put more money into heli's. Though i have considered selling both my CP+ and CX2 and getting one good heli. I have flown my plane about 25 times and not had to work on it once. I can fly my CP+ about 5 or 6 times before i have a minor crash because of stupidity, or i got tired of waiting day after day for the wind to go away and said the heck with it im flying today.