Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Warning on Carbon Fiber Shaft for CX CX2

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Warning on Carbon Fiber Shaft for CX CX2

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 PM
eat2muchrice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning on Carbon Fiber Shaft for CX CX2

I created my first shaft back months ago on this forum and since then people have given me and others tips and advice on creating them, making them better, extending them and some who have even just started selling them. I have now seen ads in e-bay and people even creating web sites.

I’d just like to mention a caution for anyone who is interested in buying carbon fiber shafts. Even with the help of others in this forum in no way was it ever perfected, not yet at least. Besides going through swash-plate realignment, I’ve never mentioned the down side to them in my updates mainly due to the fact that it was still a new concept and everyone else who has made one still has not seen the long term affects. I would just like to make it aware to everyone out there that the carbon fiber shafts will and do get damaged by the locking screws on the lower head assembly and lower locking collar, these screws will dig their way into the shaft and create uneven creators. Without near perfect alignment on your lower head assembly it will cause loose flights and unstable control. After time of disassembling and reassembling the shaft will get enough damage to the point where it will lose its holding stability and needs to be replaced.

I’ve tried others ideas like extending the shafts, using CA glue to reinforce the shafts guide holes, even using different gears like Helimax, but being slightly smaller in diameter caused issues with gear mesh. With the help of people in the forums they have made it very easy to make and only take about 5-10 minutes to assemble one. In the time it takes you to place an order you could already have your shaft built.

Now if you decide to buy a CF shaft that’s fine, but please be aware that I believe your best investment would to be to create your own so that you have enough material to have spare shafts when needed.

Here is link on to how to make one. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6832682/tm.htm Take note on ViperRR comment at the bottom, he has made it easier to make.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51520.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	860267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76012.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	860268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57957.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	860269  
Old 01-25-2008, 03:41 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Default RE: Warning on Carbon Fiber Shaft for CX CX2

BRAVO!!!!

Rice,

Thank you for posting an honest review! It's always easy to come on this forum and exclaim about how good some mod is, but it takes guts and honesty to post critical reviews of products that we have bought, and, maybe just aren't where they need to be right now. This should also servo to drive conversation into improving the concept.

Good to have you here!
Old 01-26-2008, 04:29 PM
shufflez

Thanks for the update Rice! I'll be on guard for that when/if i FINALLY find the right size CF! Seems the Netherlands only has 3.5 or 5mm... Germany too (business trip)... I guess ordering a length of CF will probably arrive here broken/shattered, so that's why i keep looking around here.

I'm thinking on how to prevent those marks... Maybe if i go with the 3.5mm shaft and then CA a piece of an old shaft over it? So you'll have the strenght and grip of the metal where the screws make contact and still the benefits of CF? Although it might snap easier over the metal 'tube'... A well-known soccer-player (Johan Cruijf) once said;
Every upside has its downside, but every downside has an upside
(Isn't he philosophical or what He sure isn't the brightest ).
Old 01-26-2008, 04:45 PM
eat2muchrice

ORIGINAL: shufflez

Thanks for the update Rice! I'll be on guard for that when/if i FINALLY find the right size CF! Seems the Netherlands only has 3.5 or 5mm... Germany too (business trip)... I guess ordering a length of CF will probably arrive here broken/shattered, so that's why i keep looking around here.

I'm thinking on how to prevent those marks... Maybe if i go with the 3.5mm shaft and then CA a piece of an old shaft over it? So you'll have the strenght and grip of the metal where the screws make contact and still the benefits of CF? Although it might snap easier over the metal 'tube'... A well-known soccer-player (Johan Cruijf) once said;
Every upside has its downside, but every downside has an upside
(Isn't he philosophical or what He sure isn't the brightest ).
Yes, I was trying to ponder that one day but came up with some issues doing that. 1. The inner shaft won't fit through 2. Half the shaft would be aluminum. 3. the upper hub cup won't fit unless you make a spacer for it. Don't get me wrong it still might be possible if you could find the right size ID & OD CF tube, but then the CF tube would be very thin. I still keep my eye out and try your idea if I find something. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Drewed

Well my cryo shaft showed up and I found it to be much thicker than the CF I got from the LHS. It is 4mm OD ( same as stock, ) but it is just thin enough for the center shaft to slide threw. I cut it down so its only +5mm, as I didn't want 7' chopper, and drilled some locating holes for the head. I'll let ya all know how it holds up.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:00 PM
shufflez

Indeed, come to think of it (i need to think before i speak/write ) with the 3.5mm OD, there's probably too little space (ID) for the innershaft to rotate freely... Hmmm, gonna measure different tube diameters and try the 'fit' next time when i'm in the LHS.

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-26-2008, 05:40 PM
eat2muchrice

Thanks shufflez, Please keep me posted.