Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Brand new Blade 400 smokes and stops working

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Brand new Blade 400 smokes and stops working

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 PM
BaracW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new Blade 400 smokes and stops working

I just got my Blade 400 today. Connected a charged batter to test servo throws and radio functions. Spun it up a little (not enough to lift off) and flipped one of the switches on the radio and thing began to spew white smoke from the ESC. Now it doesn't work at all. I waited 4 months to get this thing and now, within 60 seconds of powering up, it's dead. Servos work, but the motor just quivers and the blades don't spin. What are my options? Anyone have anything like this happen to them? I hate the idea that I may have to spend more money to ship this thing back.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:10 AM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Brand new Blade 400 smokes and stops working

Oh well live and learn...

Sorry to hear about your problem. I feel your pain. I would call horizon hobby to see what they can do..
Old 01-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Druss

ORIGINAL: BaracW

I just got my Blade 400 today. Connected a charged batter to test servo throws and radio functions. Spun it up a little (not enough to lift off) and flipped one of the switches on the radio and thing began to spew white smoke from the ESC. Now it doesn't work at all. I waited 4 months to get this thing and now, within 60 seconds of powering up, it's dead. Servos work, but the motor just quivers and the blades don't spin. What are my options? Anyone have anything like this happen to them? I hate the idea that I may have to spend more money to ship this thing back.
I think you should have read the manual before doing anything with your heli. My guess is that you flipped the "idle up" or "3D" swith and went from 30% throttle to 80% throttle instantaneously. you basically fried your esc by shocking it. If the switch is the idle up switch then it's completely your fault and horizon hobby won't, and shouldn't, do anything about it. READ THE MANUAL, this is not a toy.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:19 AM
Big Green Machine

You have an expensive way of learing how things work. You'd think in the 4 months you spent waiting for the thing to show up you could have downloaded the manual. Live and learn.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:39 AM
eat2muchrice

[][&o]
Old 01-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Flying Foot Doc
My Feedback: (2)

Barac, You know expression that these things run on the magic smoke. It must be true because once you let the smoke out, they don't run any more. Unfortunately, you have just learned one of the expensive, VERY fast, irreversible lessons of all things electric. If you flipped a switch to see what it does, you could have easily gone from regular control to idle up mode without the blades spinning and overloaded the circuit. Did you notice that the blades kind of rotated down at teh same time? Horizon is remarkable good about fixing things even if it is our own screwups lots of times. Hard to say what they may or may not do. Harsh, but everybody on here is right, you do have to know what all of the switches and adjustment do. You didn't say what your level of experience is, but the B400 is definitely not a beginners machine. Good luck, Doc
Old 01-26-2008, 11:35 AM
onad

Bummer Man! Can't agree more with the "Read the Manual" comments however. More than half of the questions posted on this forum could be eliminated if people would open/download and read the frick'n manuals. Hope you learned your lesson and get a flying bird soon.

Be carefull with that magic smoke...
Old 01-26-2008, 05:45 PM
BaracW

Guys, I read the manual and knew what the switch was for. I was testing the function of the switch. I must admit, I was not at full throttle, but I was not at idle neither. Perhaps, it was slower RPM's than suggested, but I noticed the increasing speed and flip the switch back. Anyway, lesson learned. If it costs me $40 to replace, it will be the last $40 bucks I spend on the same part for the same reason. Hopefully, HH will have mercey. I am not a beginner, but I am not an expert. I have flown Blade CX, and hovered Blade CP Pro and Axe CP.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:48 PM
BaracW

oops
Old 01-26-2008, 08:49 PM
wsdepa

Just buy a new ESC - this will not be that last $50 bucks yop spend on this heli. The rule of thumb is that you will spend as much on replacement parts as you didi on the original heli......
Old 01-26-2008, 08:53 PM
onad

Okay, sorry to throw you in with all those other knuckle heads.[&o] Probally just a bad motor or whatever... Good Luck!!

Guys, I read the manual and new what the switch was for. I was testing the function of the switch. I must admit, I was not at full throttle, but I was not at idle neither. Perhaps, it was slower RPM's than suggested, but I noticed the increasing speed and flip the switch back. Anyway, lesson learned. If it costs me $40 to replace, it will be the last $40 bucks I spend on the same part for the same reason. Hopefully, HH will have mercey. I am not a beginner, but I am not an expert. I have flown Blade CX, and hovered Blade CP Pro and Axe CP.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:29 AM
kevntri
My Feedback: (15)

If the blades were spining, switching to idle up should not blow your ESC.(strip gears yes....) There were many times with my Rex I kept the heli on the ground at zero pitch (70% throttle) and flipped to idle up (95% throttle) for a quick take off burst. I would work on auto's with no power and chicken out and hammer the throttle with no problems also. The tail would kick out, but never ESC issues.
The gyro was a CC35, but that should not make a difference.
Call Horizon (Corey seems good to deal with).
It may also be the motor, I would send both back.

Good luck