Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

More B400 questions, "skipping at startup"

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

More B400 questions, "skipping at startup"

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:45 PM
sneekc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More B400 questions, "skipping at startup"

So when I go to idle up the motor seems to "skip", verm, verm, verm....etc. My rotor blades end up folding in under the flybar paddles. Anyone ever experienced this before?

Here it what I think it is,

#1. The bearing is in backwards (the main rotor part next to the motor)
#2. My motor is going dead.
#3. There is something wrong with the speed control unit

I will leave the answer to the more experienced to share though. Thanks in advance

Cody
Old 01-30-2008, 11:29 PM
damonlee

Default RE: More B400 questions, "skipping at startup"

Cody,

Your blades should be bolted down tight enough in their blade grips so that you have to apply a moderate amount of pressure in order to fold the blades back; you don't want them too loose.

Second, make sure your not under the 9v cut-off. If your battery is too low, the ESC will cut voltage to the motor. This LiPo technolgy (the battery) is tempermental. If you go past the 9v cut-off, you can damage the battery and it won't charge.

Third, are you in "Idle-up" mode when you start? Make sure the switch on the Transmitter located on the top left corner is in it's furthest back position, position "0".

Also, check the three leads going to the motor and make sure they are all connected.

If you continue to have trouble, call Horizon. I've had good experience so far with them making things right...
-D
Old 01-31-2008, 07:39 AM
kevntri
My Feedback: (15)

It doesn't do it in normal mode?
I would guess it is a voltage cut off from the ESC.
Can you check your battery voltage? Try with a fully charged pack. Lower your head speed a little and try again.
When you pull the stick back, if it seems to reset it is lowering your battery voltage. MIne did that when I was playing with higher head speeds.

Keep us informed...........

Kevin
Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 PM
sneekc

Both super points, but...
my blades are tight enough. So the jerking motion is actually very strong to move the rotor blades. Also, I have 2 brand new batteries, I tried them both this evening and the same thing happened. Even with no rotor blades in the grips.
Idle up is off, Im still way to inexperienced to even think about turning that on. Only on the Simulator.
All the leads are fine.

I will give Horizon a call tomorrow and see what they have to say.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Pattern_is_Fun

The exact symptom happened to me yesterday - one time, with a brand new battery. I immediately stopped - was not going anywhere anyway, and checked the charge on the battery. It was a bit low, 12.4V, but should have still run. I charged anyway. Plugged it back in, and it worked fine. I have not flown with that battery for several flights, no issues. I belive that when I plugged in this battery, I did not push the battery connectors together very well - this one is harder to plug in than my other batteries. I think the connectors were barely making contact - just the tips were making contact - and almost arcing as the motor pulsed. I am 90% sure this is what happened to me.

sc
Old 02-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Wolfpackin

I had a similar problem with the motor pulsing at low rpm's.
But when I got to about 70% throttle all power to the motor cut off and would return after lowering the collective stick.
It was a faulty ESC and Horizon replaced it.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:10 AM
sneekc

ORIGINAL: Wolfpackin

I had a similar problem with the motor pulsing at low rpm's.
But when I got to about 70% throttle all power to the motor cut off and would return after lowering the collective stick.
It was a faulty ESC and Horizon replaced it.

How did you get Horizon to replace it? Call, email, etc?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Wolfpackin

I've found that calling Horizon produces the best results.

In the case of the ESC it took two calls.
I was not satisfied with the first tech I spoke with so I called back and spoke with another.
I told him I was not satisfied with what the first guy told me, explained the problem, and he agreed with what I was saying and sent out an ESC.

Be prepared to present facts and evidence of your problem.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:45 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

I think Horizon costomer support is top notch of the few problems I have had with there products all it took was a quick phone call stated the prob and some facts to back it up and the next day parts where in the mail..no hassles or arguments just something that makes a guy want to be brand loyal. I would call them and explain your problem.