Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Caught On Video: CP Pro Electrical Glitches, Problem Solved me thinks.

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Caught On Video: CP Pro Electrical Glitches, Problem Solved me thinks.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Sikorzky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caught On Video: CP Pro Electrical Glitches, Problem Solved me thinks.

New Videos, these really show it all:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...71679928&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...25005976&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...88255285&hl=en

This was the original vid I posted:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...38915044&hl=en

My CP Pro has intermittent electronic glitches, I guess plenty of people have experienced this. Someone said upgrading the transmitter should help.

Symptom: Hovering around, minding my own business, suddenly the heli jumps up nearly a foot, and twists to the side, very rapidly.

This has happened while I was applying left cyclic and the heli just jumps left violently, throwing me into a wall. I gotta say, she has been holding up very well, I am impressed. The link above takes you to the vid. It is about 60 seconds long. About halfway through the first glitch happens, it was small, I recovered. Near the end of the vid comes the bigger glitch, listen to the motor noise.

Excuse my noobish hovering skills, I've only been at this for 2 weeks now. Just stripped the training gear today, flies better without it.

Questions:
Any advice? should I get a better radio system? Do i need to change just the transmitter or the the reciever or both? I do plan on gettng a better heli someday, so investing in a new radio now is not a waste of money. Any advice helps, thanks all!
Old 02-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Coyote64

Default RE: Caught On Video: CP Pro Electrical Glitches

Yes thats proof they are very very noticable
Old 02-02-2008, 04:29 PM
scale_edge

textbook trucker mouth! - some git with a hopped up cb just tried to eat your heli

2.4 spectrum tx and rx gets rid of it, but adds other strangeness like unbinding and fail safes

edge
Old 02-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Coyote64

So you think its some trucker on cb key`in up ?
Old 02-02-2008, 04:36 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

I read this on another forum,

If you still have your ant wraped around the skids try unwinding a lil and fasten it to the tail with tape or zip tie.

It is free so why not try it.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:43 PM
mosiris

Think I talked to you in an earler post about me using my futaba TX etc. When I 1st bought my pro a glitch cost me a set of blades. Day one, new toy, got to play for like 3 minutes. There were several other times I would go to the thing to unplug it and it would spool up for a bit. Then I would hover over head high in my cave and get near something and it would act like what I saw in your video.

Results after 1 day (finally got it trimmed in on the computer TX) no glitches YET (granted a tail motor ate it). Will let you know any more I can find out after a battery finishes charging (oh snap, solid red on the charger).

Now I do get weird stuff when I have the heli and non-stock TX (did it w/ the stock TX too) on the same table as the computer, but that's to be expected.

I'm not saying go out and buy a new TX (unless you got a bottomless wallet, in which case can I work for you fixing you birds ?) but I have taken 1 part outta the 'glitch' equasion. Have read sometimes when you touch the stock TX for the pro weird stuff will happen.

Best advice for now, make an aluminum hat for you and the heli, the aliens are in control

Old 02-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Sikorzky

Mammoth: I have the antenna stretched out in a soda straw. You can see it in my vid, a bright orange dunkin donuts soda straw sticking out of the back end parallel to the tail boom. I hoped that would help, but it didn't.

Mosiris: Yea we talked in another thread. I was wondering if the 3 in 1 will work with a non-stock reciever. It would be great to get rid of all that stuff and just put in new stuff...we live we learn. I think I will get a new TX, LHS has a JR XP7202 on clearance, big servo's though.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:07 PM
mosiris

Here's a link to the other thread. Yes, I am using a different TX prolly 5 years older then the one that came w/ the pro. This thing is so nice to fly now ! BTW the ant on the RX is still round the skids on my bird.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7006297/tm.htm[/link]

IMO it's you get what you pay for ( I could be wrong) How much is it to buy a new TX for the CP-pro ? Back in the day my TX/RX/Servo box cost me well over 200 clams. I'm just glad I can use it (well the TX anyway)

-- Mike
Old 02-02-2008, 05:26 PM
mosiris

Ok, I still have glitches. Just now was gonna hover the cp-pro, was no where near it. The dang thing spun up for a second. Just thought I'd keep ya posted.

Could be the 2 computer I am near, DSL, network. WHo knows. All I can say right now is it flies better with the compter TX than it did w/ the stock one.

Now for my next trick. Brand new (albiet 4 years old, but sill brand new in the box, factory seal never broken) JR g410t strapped to it

Time to get rid of link #2 in the glitch chain, the gyro heating up the electronics.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:00 PM
stump3r

I have a similar glitch with an unrelated heli but does something pretty similar. Mine is a servo causing all the problems. Will do pretty similar things in that it will take off in a direction or the motor will entirely cut out. Could be servo issues as well.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Sikorzky

I did some serious "process of elimination" and have decided that it is the receiver. I actually own 2 CP Pro helis. I bought a second just to harvest spare parts as I break the first. so here is what I did in the order I did it.

1. Its not the control unit because I put the spare control unit in the glitchy heli and I still had glitches when flying.

2. Its not the frequency, because a put the spare crystals in the glitchy heli and still had glitches when flying.

3. Its not the Transmitter because I used the spare transmitter with the glitchy heli and still had glitches when flying.

4. It is the Receiver because I put the spare receiver in the glitchy heli and the glitches were eliminated. I flew 2 batteries with no glitches.

I destroyed my landing gear and my blades in the process of figuring this out [&o]

Mosiris, can you try your futaba receiver and see if it works?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:16 PM
wrxsti02

Another thing you might want to try is NOT flying inside the house ... there are lots of things that can interfere with a clear signal when you're flying indoors like that. Not to mention the lack of safety...
Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 PM
tommie!

I had a bad servo which caused glitches. Also make sure the crystals are in place well on both the Tx and rx. Also make sure the transmitter batteries are strong...
Old 02-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Sikorzky

Glitches have returned. Sadness follows. As I was flying battery 3 it just spontaneously started again. I had swaped all the electronics but not the servos, ugh, I guess that's next.

tommie - TX batts were strong, crystals...well, I shoved em in there, they seemed to seat.

WRX - I had experienced the glitches outside as well, just as bad as inside. As far as flying inside, its just personal preference, and it can be done in a safe manner.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:03 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

When you are trying to trouble shoot a glitch wouldnt it be more cost effective to strap it down to a bench run it up to hover speed and work the controls as tho you where really trying to hover it (normal small stick movements) and just watch and listen for the glitch..could save landing gear and blades.

Hope you get your problem sorted out.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:08 PM
mosiris

Mosiris, can you try your futaba receiver and see if it works?
If I did the NImH batt would pull the thing down toward the ground.

Will put the external gyro I have on tomorrow. May be a heat issue.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Sikorzky

Mammoth - I had tried like you mention, but I could not reproduce the symptom like that. I ran her for about 3 minutes, just looking and moving, and nothing happened. As soon as I fly, it starts happening again (gyro?). You are right though, I should have persisted with the bench testing, but I got impatient. The landing gear broke when I was outside doing my troubleshooting in the open air. It was mainly the wind that got me, not really the glitch..I let her get to high. My blades, on their last leg anyway, good inspiration to place a new order (doing my best to be positive here). Right now I am keeping my fingers crossed for mosiris' gyro experiment. When this first started happening I thought it might be tailmotor related since it seemed like tailmotor noise preceded the altitude hops, but it is really hard to tell. I still don't see why it was ok for 2 batteries after I swapped the receiver, maybe just coincidence. Thanks for all the ideas everybody. we'll see what happens, and I am calling tech support for sure on monday.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:34 AM
Sikorzky

I posted new vids at the top of this thread, here are the links again:

Basically, depending on my transmitter location and orientation relative to the heli, these crazy collective glitches happen. I tried all of these tests with the main motor running and the same thing happens. I had to disconnect the main for the videos. Now when I disconnect the tail motor I can't reproduce the symptoms. I expected a bad tail motor to just stop spinning, not cause anything like this. I tried the new motor from my spare bird and could not reproduce the symptom. So is that the problem? A bad tail motor? Seems kinda weird but I suppose it could be causing some noise in the system. I wonder if there is a way to filter out the noise? anyway, I will replace the motor and see if that fixes everything.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:40 PM
mosiris

Default RE: Caught On Video: CP Pro Electrical Glitches, New Vids Posted

got called into work today, didn't have time to look at gyro, manual and all thet crap. did the replace the tail motor work ?
-- Mos
Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 AM
Sikorzky

No..replacing the motor didn't do anything. Then I took the spare heli, broke in both motors (which made a big diff in performance , but thats a diff story), put it all back together, and tried it out. I went through 2 batteries, got her all trimmed out, she was running perfect, then the glitches started, same thing as before. I am really disappointed, calling horizon today. My latest opinion is that the wire down the tail boom is acting like an antenna, and when it puts a signal into the 3-1, everything goes bonkers for a sec or two. its just a poor system. if horizon doesn't take it back, then I think the only solution is buying quality radio equipment and speed controllers and gyro. I probably just got a couple bad units. when it flew nice for those first couple batteries, i was really pleased with this heli.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:04 AM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

Damn that isn't good to hear. In my rc past Twitch was caused primarily by metal on metal contact or a severd ant wire for the most part.

I dont like seeing a fellow Heli guy get grounded guess that makes two of us, Hope my parts get here soon so I can break it.

and crystals will do funky stuff too.....I wish I had more advice for you.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:20 PM
scale_edge

cf and antennas don't mix - if the boom is cf, get the antenna out of there and wrap it around the skid , leaving about a foot left and run a antenna tube down the side

edge
Old 02-04-2008, 06:25 PM
FlyingHigh 400
My Feedback: (21)

i had the same problem.the day i put my antenna around the tail boom it started doing the same thing.i was trying to hover it and she went down and broke the landing gear.when i was putting the new landing gear on i got to thinking if i put the antenna back around the landing gear the glitches would go away cause it wont be by the servos anymore.that was and fixed the problem.so if your antenna is too close to the servos that could be your problem..
Old 02-04-2008, 06:29 PM
FlyingHigh 400
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Sikorzky

New Videos, these really show it all:

This was the original vid I posted:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...38915044&hl=en

My CP Pro has intermittent electronic glitches, I guess plenty of people have experienced this. Someone said upgrading the transmitter should help.

Symptom: Hovering around, minding my own business, suddenly the heli jumps up nearly a foot, and twists to the side, very rapidly.

This has happened while I was applying left cyclic and the heli just jumps left violently, throwing me into a wall. I gotta say, she has been holding up very well, I am impressed. The link above takes you to the vid. It is about 60 seconds long. About halfway through the first glitch happens, it was small, I recovered. Near the end of the vid comes the bigger glitch, listen to the motor noise.

Excuse my noobish hovering skills, I've only been at this for 2 weeks now. Just stripped the training gear today, flies better without it.

Questions:
Any advice? should I get a better radio system? Do i need to change just the transmitter or the the reciever or both? I do plan on gettng a better heli someday, so investing in a new radio now is not a waste of money. Any advice helps, thanks all!
read my post above.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Cast-Away

I had the same problem once and it turned out to be one servo that was bad. When you move the right control around with the motor unplugged, watch the servos very closely and you will see one twitch. I bought a new one and sent the faulty one Horizon Hobby for a warranty replacement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.