Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Trying to set Blade 400 to +/- 12 pitch

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Trying to set Blade 400 to +/- 12 pitch

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Torquestar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to set Blade 400 to +/- 12 pitch

Ok, so after quite a bit of sim time, I want to try to do some mild 3D on the Blade 400...

Since I swapped out my servos to HS65MG's, I wanted to make sure my pitch was OK before I did any 3D. I never checked it out of the box, and it doesn't seem any different than before... but if I'm reading this pitch gauge right, something isn't right.

It looks like I have about -3 degrees down collective and +12 in full up collective. Mid stick seems to be at 0 degrees. I checked with the stunt switch in both positions and it didn't seem to make a difference.

I've watched the Finless videos for setting up a CCPM, and that was quite helpful. However, one thing I noticed is on my Blade 400, the servos aren't traveling the same distance from mid-stick. At mid stick, I have them darn close to 90 degrees to the swash. When I go up collective, all the servos turn downward probably 30-40 degrees, resulting in the +12 degrees pitch I'm seeing. However, from mid stick to full down collective, the servos barely travel at all, so I'm only getting about -3 degrees pitch.

I know I'm probably missing something super easy here, since I've only been at this a month, but what is it?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:32 AM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

Default RE: Trying to set Blade 400 to +/- 12 pitch

Sounds like a setting in your tx......maybe EPA?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Torquestar

Does the DX6i have EPA? It seems to have something similar called Travel Adjust, but that only seems to increase or decrease the overall range. It doesn't specifically let me set the throw in the direction I seem to need.

I guess I could reset the Travel Adjust on all 3 servos to give larger range and then move the servo horn to a new center position... But the problem is there seems to be an issue with center. The servo goes quite a ways one way from center, and nearly nowhere in the other direction. So I don't think Travel Adjust will work.

ORIGINAL: MAMMOTH TOUGH

Sounds like a setting in your tx......maybe EPA?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:20 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your idle up pitch and throttle curves are likely set exactly the same in your DX6i. You have to change your idle up pitch curves using a pitch guage to get your desired pitch range. 12 degrees pitch is an awful lot........ Do all Blade 400's come with the pitch range set up so drastic?
Your throttle curves in idle up should be something like 100 at low stick, 80 at mid and 100 at high stick
Go back and watch finless's pitch and throttle curves 101 located in his Heli skills and setup 101 thread. Good luck!

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Magook

I also changed my sevos to JR metal gear ones, I notice the the 3D switch does nothing for me. I'm still waiting for my pitch gauge to come in, but this is what I was told to do.

Adjust the pitch curve in stunt first, put the radio in 3D the make sure you get -10 with the stick down and +10 with the stick up. Then adjust in the normal mode - change the swtich to 2D and with the stick down set it for -3 and +10 for the stick up.

I haven't done this yet, so if any one thinks this is wrong please let me know.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 01:22 PM
seabandit

i believe you will need to unplug the 3 wires to the motor and then check and adjust the pitch with the throttle hold in the off position. the throttle hold has its own pitch curve when activated I believe. BE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE MOTOR FIRST!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:27 PM
bassplayinDude

The throttle hold function has a custom throttle curve (to keep throttle at 0 throughout the entire throttle range). It doesn't affect pitch curves at all.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Wolfpackin

However, the Throttle Hold function also has its own pitch curve and it is set to be the same as Normal Mode from the factory.

So, if you want to check for full pitch range in idle-up (stunt) mode you need to unplug the motors, as mentioned, or reset the Throttle Hold pitch curve to match the Idle-up curve.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Torquestar

So, that's the magic information I didn't know. I'll go do that now, thanks! Man, I hate unplugging that darn motor... takes forever to get it plugged back in.

Also, for the person that asked me about the 12 degree pitch, that's what I thought I read the B400 should be. I could be (likely am) wrong. Maybe it's supposed to be +/- 8 or 10 instead.

EDIT: Just unplugged the motor and checked. Sure enough, it's set to +10/-10 with 0 pitch at mid-stick. Very cool. Thanks again for the help!
Old 02-03-2008, 08:02 PM
scale_edge

hey, somebody said something somewhere about flipping the teeters over on the bell linkage for more travel - check the b400 threads

edge
Old 02-03-2008, 08:38 PM
goldslinger

If You aren't getting UNIFORM pitch angles; like +11, -11, then adjust the swash to servo linkages uniformly (so as not to unlevel the swash) to raise or lower the swash until the travels are the same. That is of course, assuming the servos are centered to begin with.

This holds true for the T-REX, anyway; I'm guessing all are pretty much the same in that respect.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Torquestar

After finding out that Throttle Hold was my problem (I was using that instead of unplugging the motor), I was able to check it properly. I had no idea that Throttle Hold had it's own pitch curve... which is why flipping the stunt mode switch did nothing.

With the motor unplugged, I was able to use my pitch gauge and find out that it's at +/- 10 with 0 pitch at mid stick. That's fine with me... now when it stops raining, I'll attempt some mild 3D moves!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a great heli to practice 3D, be sure to get used to flying in 'idle up' (stunt 1 or 2 ) for a while, at least learn to hover and fly around because you have more negative pitch. I set my idle 1 at 90 percent throttle and idle 2 at 100 percent, as you can get a few more minutes at lower power settings. Good luck!