Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Share your unintended bonuses of indoor flying....

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Share your unintended bonuses of indoor flying....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:51 AM
rikybob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Share your unintended bonuses of indoor flying....

I'll start.

The most notable unintended bonus/consequence of my "house flying" is that my CX2 has the uncanny ability to flush out dust bunnies from my living room the size of a South American Capiybara.

http://www.rebsig.com/capybara/

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79894.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	873114  
Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Big_Daddy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Unintended bonuses of indoor flying....

HA!

-House cleaning by helicopter!

(nice obscure mammalian reference by the way)
Old 02-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

And did your WIFE actually buy that excuse for the purchase and operation inside HER house????
Old 02-08-2008, 11:27 AM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

Also an effective way to control the excess pet cat population that your wife tends to keep bringing home. (best results obtained with plastic or CF blades)
Old 02-08-2008, 11:33 AM
brownponyrdr

I also have more comfortable chairs in the house to sit in while flying, and the fridge containing cold, alcoholic beverages is much closer..... Mike
Old 02-08-2008, 11:56 AM
rikybob

Thanx Big Daddy: "I'll be here all week, tip your waitresses"

Zeeb: She thinks its cool but you're right its HER house

Mamoth: Funny you bring that up, I have actually crashed into the Black Lab so she now vacates upon spooling (yet another good bonus)

Brown: Wow, you SIT while flying.........never thought of that.......I am still in the learning phase......I have to stand.....I guess somehow I find it comforting

Any bouses/unintended consequence for you guys? Good or bad?

Rikybob
Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

LOL Actually I haven't hurt any cats yet...but I was spooling up just about to get air born and one of my cats jumped right into the rotor...she wasn't hurt but I am pretty sure she wont do that again.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:25 PM
lostNdallas

I go through blades a lot faster indoors so that is a nice boost to the LHS economy.

The dogs who once were curious about what spinning blades smell like no longer have any interest in sniffing them and stay out of the way now.

Friends who drive my copter indoors also help boost the LHS economy with blade purchases.

Since I buy a pack of blades almost on a weekly basis, I get to see that cute girl that works at the LHS a lot.

I've become much more aware of how many loose papers I have laying around.

CX2 blade vs anything other than a dogs nose: anything wins. (and for that matter, CX2 vs tree: tree wins)(CX2 vs metal parking lot clearance sign: metal parking lot clearance sign wins)

My wallet is lighter now which is easier on my back when I walk around and also has the added bonus of being much more comfortable to sit on since it isn't as bulky anymore.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:20 PM
rikybob

I go through blades a lot faster indoors so that is a nice boost to the LHS economy.

R/B Agreed.....crazy how it worx

The dogs who once were curious about what spinning blades smell like no longer have any interest in sniffing them and stay out of the way now.

R/B Same here

Friends who drive my copter indoors also help boost the LHS economy with blade purchases.

R/B Friends aren't allowed to run H/C

Since I buy a pack of blades almost on a weekly basis, I get to see that cute girl that works at the LHS a lot.

R/B Wow, is it mandatory for there to be a ubiquitous cute hobbie shop girl. I have one too? Suspicious.

I've become much more aware of how many loose papers I have laying around.

R/B Yup, stuff flyin' all over the place here too!

CX2 blade vs anything other than a dogs nose: anything wins. (and for that matter, CX2 vs tree: tree wins)(CX2 vs metal parking lot clearance sign: metal parking lot clearance sign wins)

R/B Agreed!

My wallet is lighter now which is easier on my back when I walk around and also has the added bonus of being much more comfortable to sit on since it isn't as bulky anymore.

R/B I was wondin' why my back has stopped hurtin'!!

Rikybob
Old 02-08-2008, 01:36 PM
bonsaidude

ORIGINAL: rikybob

R/B Wow, is it mandatory for there to be a ubiquitous cute hobbie shop girl. I have one too? Suspicious.
I guess I need to shop around for a new LHS!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 PM
brownponyrdr

Default RE: Share your unintended bonuses of indoor flying....

rikybob
don't try sitting & flying until you are good enough to keep the majority of your crashes at the far end of the room, it is to hard to duck in a chair!!! mike
Old 02-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Drewed

1. The couch is softer to crash into than the ground
2. In the barn, I get a cool little dust storm on take off
3. There isn't a foot and a half of new snow inside.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:34 PM
rikybob

Snow?!!?? What is this snow thing of which you speak??? It has been (and I am NOT making this up) 85 degrees here in Florida until today and it is a balmy 71 degrees as I type. The wind let up and I was able to fly a few packs.......now off to work!

Rikybob
Old 02-08-2008, 04:56 PM
mosiris

Ditto ! No girlies at my LHS

You'd think will all the money flying around in there ........ Bah, what do I know ....
Old 02-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Coyote64

I have a skinny bold bloke called paul....................... is it me or is that a bad deal ???? lol
Old 02-08-2008, 06:09 PM
mosiris

Oh, forgot the bonus things for flying indoors. I don't have to drag my flight support box along to start an indoor copter. Cold beer (as someone above mentioned) lot's of things to play obstacle course with (yup, I am single, I can do that). No fear of getting the bird stuck somewhere I can't get to. Can fly the helis while on a bird/boat playing World of Warcrack.

The downside, when I clean or move something furniture wise, I always ALWAYS find a part of a broken cx-2 blade.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Coyote64

ORIGINAL: mosiris

Oh, forgot the bonus things for flying indoors. I don't have to drag my flight support box along to start an indoor copter. Cold beer (as someone above mentioned) lot's of things to play obstacle course with (yup, I am single, I can do that). No fear of getting the bird stuck somewhere I can't get to. Can fly the helis while on a bird/boat playing World of Warcrack.

The downside, when I clean or move something furniture wise, I always ALWAYS find a part of a broken cx-2 blade.
Yeah i was clearing my mess up the other day from a reconstructed house i did..............

I found more parts from cx2 then storage heaters, doors, kitchens etc..................... yep even though shes dialed in................ i still try things im no where near ready for lol
Old 02-08-2008, 07:43 PM
mosiris

Yeah i was clearing my mess up the other day from a reconstructed house i did..............

I found more parts from cx2 then storage heaters, doors, kitchens etc..................... yep even though shes dialed in................ i still try things im no where near ready for lol

Sounds like you are in the same line of work I am. You prolly deal with the same kinda people I do. Here's some quotes, lol, 'Nice flying, but you think you can make it go into the HVAC intake ? can you fly it through the stud wall, (my fav, but was when I was playing w/ the gasser (my wallet was scared of the gasser (and my 1st heli) , so I treated it like a baby )) I need another coil of nails, think you could fly them up here ?'

One thing a guy who used to work for the HVAC guys we subcontrat w/ had a good (hope this is the word) anaology of how to fly a heli after watching me. 'Put a marble in the center of a dinner plate, hold the plate w/ both hands and keep the marble in the center, that's a hover'

-- Mos

Old 02-09-2008, 02:34 AM
lostNdallas

I don't have to drag my flight support box along to start an indoor copter.
My flight support box consists of a paper lunch sack with a couple packs of blades, an extra battery holder, an extra set of skids, a charger, and a tiny Radioshack phillips head screwdriver.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:41 AM
lostNdallas

ORIGINAL: rikybob

All this girl would have to do is smile at me and hand me something as silly as a plastic dinosaur head or a box of chocolate covered crickets and I would buy it.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:53 AM
eat2muchrice

My dog always wins . Those darn Pitbulls are tough and never give up.
I'm going to complain to my LHS for not having a cute girl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16604.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	873751  
Old 02-09-2008, 09:58 AM
againstthedevil

haha...at first glance I thought you tied a frozen turkey to your copter and was flying it around the kitchen, upon closer inspection I see it was your dog! lol no offense to your dog.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Coyote64

Now im getting the hang of this ive found the added bonus of cattle hearding both cats and dogs to any room i see fit.

As soon as the bird goes up, the dogs look at me like " oh god here he goes again !" and avoids cx at all costs
Old 02-13-2008, 10:42 PM
victorzamora

Rikybob, I used to live in El Salvador. Those Capybara are real pests. I almost destroyed myself and my motorcycle because of one of those things. As a normal American, never having seen on of those, I was freaked out the first time I saw one. I thought it was a really ugly, awfully mutated groundhog or something. All I know is that they're fast, live everywhere, and you don't see them unless they're darting out in front of you.
I have to agree with BigDaddy, nice obscure mammalian reference. I wasn't sure if they were a real thing or just some genetic mistake known in ES. Glad to see it's an official something.

One great plus about indoors flight is the built-in cooling fans. You can crank up the a/c (or the heat) and fly in a decent environment, and you can hold the aircraft like a big fan. I learned this trick when a friend was breaking-in and tuning the needle on his 50cc gasser. I walked past the propwash and felt a cool breeze. It was 105* and ZERO wind. Needless to say I sat down about 3 ft behind the plane with my glasses on and a drink in my hand.