Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

FUTABA 401 STUMPED !!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

FUTABA 401 STUMPED !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:54 PM
gregka
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUTABA 401 STUMPED !!!!!

I am stumped I got the 401 installed centered everythging ( holds straight in normal mode no input required) gain in hh is 65 on the dx6 the linkage is on the second hole from the bottom and she is STILL waggin ( a little) belt tension is good tried ,different tail blades, played with the gain from 55 to 95 ( 95 is wayyy to tight even 75 is to tight - at 75 she wags fast) Maybe its time to get another servo becuase am am running the DSP75 ( digital or normal mode no difference ) ANY THOUGHTS ?????[:@]
Old 02-23-2008, 08:22 PM
evdreamer

Default RE: FUTABA 401 STUMPED !!!!!

Leave it set to Digital. Where is your delay set too? I set mine as low as possible. Does the red light stay on? On my DX7 I need it to be set at 73% to put it into heading hold mode. Is your pitch slider moving the right way?
Old 02-23-2008, 08:49 PM
gregka

yes to all only once or twice the gyro did not arm unpluged it and plugged it back in and it was fine, UHOOH wife is dragging me out of the chair gotta go out to dinner now i will talk to you guys later hopefully you gus can help me figure this thing out. Hey on your dx7 the same as the dx6 ( o to 50 normal 50 to 100 hh) I am at 65 which is like 26% gain i Guess. what do you mean is the pitch slider moving the right way ? the heli flies fine. gyro is in normal when i pull the tail towards me the servo moves foward when i give right rudder input the servo moves foward. when i get back form dinner i check it again --gottoa go
Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 PM
evdreamer

For the pitch slider thing I was just wondering it the servo/gyro reversing was correct. I had problems with that in the past. It tipped my helicopter over. The Dx7 is a little different. Anything below 73% turns the HH mode off. Is the delay as low as it can go? With the spektrum receivers it won't sometimes arm. But buy switching it from normal to HH mode three times in 3 seconds seems to have fix the problem for me. Also, I have noticed it won't arm if I mess with the tail pitch manually. It needs to start in the same position it left off from. What is the speed of that servo? If it is around .2 seconds/60 degrees or more you might need to turn the delay up.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:57 PM
gregka

naa she arms ok- pitch slider is good -I am going to try a little delay even they say not to with this dsp75- going to try and tighten the belt even more I also read that onece you sete the neutral position in normal mode you have to flip from normal to hh 3 times and wait for the gyro to flash so that it remember the same center as in normal ????
Old 02-24-2008, 09:47 AM
evdreamer

I can't remember what the manual said for flipping the switch 3 times, but since I did that I have had no problems with the gyro and enjoy it every flight.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:13 AM
gregka

Flipping the swithc did not work its was only for if the tail was drifiting. My tail wag is very small maybe 1/2 inch to each side if I keep adding gain it stays the same but gets faster. so I think it may be mechanical, I am running align 325 main blades which are smaller but heay ( makes it very stable) I was wondering if my head speed could though the gyro out. I am going to try and lower the rod to the first hole which means I have to put the nut on the inside and see if it hits the servo hub. I am still stumped ( good hold in normal mode , no binding , just libed tail shaft , belt is good , have aftermarket tail blades neon ones ( sanded down to same size as stock ) adjusted the travle pot on the gyro to go a little past at full stick ( it helped a little) ( read that tha might work) i am just about out of ideas !!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:41 AM
bluercpilot

ORIGINAL: gregka

Flipping the swithc did not work its was only for if the tail was drifiting. My tail wag is very small maybe 1/2 inch to each side if I keep adding gain it stays the same but gets faster. so I think it may be mechanical, I am running align 325 main blades which are smaller but heay ( makes it very stable) I was wondering if my head speed could though the gyro out. I am going to try and lower the rod to the first hole which means I have to put the nut on the inside and see if it hits the servo hub. I am still stumped ( good hold in normal mode , no binding , just libed tail shaft , belt is good , have aftermarket tail blades neon ones ( sanded down to same size as stock ) adjusted the travle pot on the gyro to go a little past at full stick ( it helped a little) ( read that tha might work) i am just about out of ideas !!
Try using the Digital Servo Programmer to setup your DSP75. It only cost about $25 and makes setting up the gyro / tail much easier and more accurate. You also can put the servo into tail rotor mode which makes it more responsive. Do a search here for programmer to find the thread where this is discussed further.

I suspect your wag may have more to do with a mechanical or sub-trim issue than with the gyro settings. Did you look at the Finless video at helifreak.com on 401 setup?
Good luck!
Old 02-24-2008, 12:32 PM
gregka

watched finless may of times I think I will try the servo programer. Put the pusrod onto the lowest hole which made it much better but cna't get full travle no matter what I do ( fully adjusted on gyro and adjustment on radio makes no diff) the programmer sound better the more I think about it I need a quicker response the dsp 75 is .11/60 sec but if I move the rod down to the first hole it gets better so that means it is moving faster -- I think ?. All my sub trims and trims are at 0 nothing is binding I let it sit ooutside for a while (35 degrees here) I keep going back to normal mode at 50 % to make sure she still is holding steady without drifiting ,0 trim 0 input ! holds straight !
Old 02-25-2008, 11:04 PM
goldslinger

What is the gain set to?

You need to move the ball link as close to the center hub of the servo arm as possible to get the best resolution. I think 8mm distance from hub is best. Make sure You have full servo throw both directions; servo horn at 90.

If You can set the gain as close or at 100%, that is ideal, and You won't be able to do that if You have the linkage out on a limb on a long horn.