Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Battery go boom?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:45 AM
jp473

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery go boom?

Ok. Gravity works! And no matter how hard I tried to beet the air into submission, she won this one. Questions, how much damage can a Li-Po take before it becomes unstable. No puffing, just a slight dent. This is my first experience with the li-po technology. You can see 2 pictures of the battery in my profile.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:11 AM
BryFlyGuy67

Default RE: Battery go boom?

I looked at your pix. Ouch! [:@] However, as long as they don''t puff up on you, you''re okay. However, with that damage, I would advise 2 things:

1. NEVER charge a damaged pack unattended (technically, never charge ANY pack unattended), and

2. Charge the pack on a fire-safe surface.

Just keep an eye on it. If it puffs, toss it!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Okay I''m going to put on my retired Firefighter''s hat and ask a couple of questions;

Is the sixty or so dollars you''ll save by not buying a new battery now, worth what the fire will cost later on both in terms of damage and possibly physical harm?

Not to mention the fact that you may find while charging it that the thing is bad anyway?

As mentioned, it might be alright but I''d be getting a new battery...
Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Forkin Crazy

$60 or so? Man, you got taken!!![X(]

You are not suppose to leave a LiPo batter unattended while charging it anyway! Dented or not.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:39 PM
jp473

All good points’ guys. My house, my car, my left #@! Are all worth more than $60. Now, what to do with the old one? And what other brands are worth while. This TP 2200 v2 cost me 74 at the LHS. I fly (or crash) a Blade 400.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: jp473

All good points’ guys. My house, my car, my left #@! Are all worth more than $60. Now, what to do with the old one? And what other brands are worth while. This TP 2200 v2 cost me 74 at the LHS. I fly (or crash) a Blade 400.
Ouch, that hurts to lose a spendy battery.

I've not tried it yet with a Li-Po, but the local Radio Shack stores around here will take old batteries to recycle. Does your LHS offer anything like that?

I can't say too much on batteries as I've only played with the TP's so far based on their reputation, that V2 TP is supposed to be the hot ticket right now, but I got an FMA 2200 mah that's supposed to be in the same class as the TP but it was on sale, still $65.00 tho...

Haven't used it yet either.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:01 PM
gnd2

Google lipo disposal for more information. Basically discharge the pack if it's not damaged (otherwise skip this step) and soak it in a bucket of water saturated with salt for at least a day (I've seen recommendations ranging from 24 hours to two weeks).

From what I've seen, 70-90 is the going rate for good 3-cell 2100-2200mAh 20C+ lipos from a reputable dealer.

Man, what's up with the apostrophe's? They get doubled up whenever I post [sm=confused.gif]
Old 04-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Forkin Crazy

ORIGINAL: jp473

All good points’ guys. My house, my car, my left @! Are all worth more than $60. Now, what to do with the old one? And what other brands are worth while. This TP 2200 v2 cost me 74 at the LHS. I fly (or crash) a Blade 400.

Ment on offense. Didn't realise what bird you have. My bad.[sm=redface.gif]