Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Show Off Your Dual Tail Motor CP/CP Pro

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Show Off Your Dual Tail Motor CP/CP Pro

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 PM
mydartswinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show Off Your Dual Tail Motor CP/CP Pro

Hello all,
I just converted my Blade CP Pro to a dual tail motor setup. I know other's have done it, so let's see 'em. Also, feel free to talk about the ups/downs that you've experienced w/ your setup and how you have them set up (wired in series/parallel, mounting method, motors used, etc...). I know, I know, there are already "Show Us Your Blade CP/CP Pro" threads, but let's make this one dual tail motor specific.

Here's mine. It's a mostly stock CP Pro with flat bottom blades and an E-Flite G90 gyro. I used a pre-fabbed carbon fiber vertical fin that has pre-cut/drilled motor mount holes and mounts to the stock tail motor mount. Since I could not find a pre-fabbed "Y" harness to suit my needs, I directly soldered 2 positive and 2 negative wires to the existing tail motor wires. I used 2 stock E-Flite tail motors. I wired my tail motors in parallel. As far as ups/downs, the tail is much more stable, but I have noticed a decrease in flight times.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:28 PM
DrunkYoda

Default RE: Show Off Your Dual Tail Motor CP/CP Pro

The main issue people have with these is extra weight, to counter the extra tail you need more weight up front and that cuts into your flight time.

I have had no issues with the tail since moving to dual motors. I haven't EVER had to replace the motors since getting the dual motors. I've had to replace the tail piece itself, but that's cheap and easy. I had superskids before I just decided to chuck the CP, they had an additional piece that helped keep the tail from hitting but it always seemed to get stuck IN the tail instead.

No picts as I don't have the CP in 1 piece anymore sorry.

DY
Old 05-17-2008, 10:59 AM
ndoren

Wow, this just seems like the worst place to add any additional weight... at the very tip of the tail. How does this solution compare to using a direct-drive tail setup? Seems that would be more weight thrifty.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:03 PM
mydartswinger

I was able to overcome the additional tail weight by shifting the battery forward, then a little firward elevator trim. Some people add lead weight to the front to compensate. Cost was cheap as well. <$2 for wires, $20 for 2 new motors, $2 for the second heat sink, and in my case, the mount was free.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:56 PM
speed959

how did you mount it.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:11 PM
mydartswinger

My buddy that I got my CPP from had found a carbon fiber tail fin that was designed to mount to the factory tail motor mount and was cut to be able to mount 2 motors, one on top and one on the bottom of the tail rotor gear, on e-Bay, but never installed it. I just went ahead and bought 2 new motors and soldered in an extra positive and negative lead to go to the second motor (homemade "Y" harness). I've seen on other forums where people have soldered the motors together and only used 1 negative lead. Others have used a second stock motor mount glued to the original.

I was told that the guy that made the fin only made a few of them before he got out of it.