Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Who's running DS285's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:56 PM
ferretface

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's running DS285's?

Hello all! A little advice please.

I'm installing DS285MG's for cyclic on my Blade 400. They come with some nice little rubber grommets and eyelets for mounting but I soon noticed the stock screws are too short. Is it best to get longer screws or is everyone just hard mounting to the frame with a small washer so the screw doesn't pull through. I wondered if using the rubber grommet would somehow make the response less solid because of the servo movement it would allow. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul
Old 05-21-2008, 12:30 AM
evdreamer

Default RE: Who's running DS285's?

I use the DS285's on my Belt CP. The rubber grommets are meant for nitro helicopters and aren't needed for electric's. I wouldn't know how to mount it on the B400.

Nick
Old 05-21-2008, 07:56 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Paul,

I was also faced with your dilemma....and I weighed both ways..and actually ended up using the grommets and the eyelets. My set came with screws that work very well along with the grommets and eyelets....I found that when I used all the provided hardware, they were quite firmly mounted, yet have the protection of the rubber mounts. On mine, they seemed like it wasn't going to work too well, until I installed and torqued down the screws...and everything thigtens up really nicely.

The mounting seems to be fine on mine that way, she flies like a champ!

I love these servos, and would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a good upgrade (an absolutely necessary upgrade, IMO) to the otherwise excellent Blade 400!

Have fun with the new servos!

Glenn
Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 PM
ferretface

Nick,

Thanks for the insight. I went ahead and hard mounted them to the frame as you suggested and like the originals.

Glenn,

Thanks for the response. Mine came with some very large wood screws so I figured that wasn't a good option. I check my LHS and they didn't carry any longer screws so I used the originals with 0-80 flat washers. Seems solid but the grommet mount was really tempting. I can see I need to stock up on hardware for future mods. Glad to hear you like the servos. I can't wait to give them a try.

Thanks again,
Paul
Old 05-21-2008, 11:33 PM
evdreamer

Paul,

Your welcome. I had to use the stock screws on my Belt CP, but the heads are almost too small. I would like to use washers, but my frame won't allow me to.

Nick
Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Paul,

You are very welcome. I am glad it worked out for you without the grommets...I think either way is totally acceptable, and will work fine.

Good luck with the servos, I am sure you will love them!

Glenn
Old 05-22-2008, 11:25 PM
mrblonde

I've got a few flights with my 285's now. I mounted using the rubber mounts and the JR Screws. I've had them for about 2 months now, maybe 40 flights, and have had zero servo problems.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:31 AM
ferretface

Thanks for the post mrblonde!

It sound like everyone is having good luck with the DS285. I've got a hardware kit on order and may re-think my hard mounted approach. Those rubber mounts look like a better mounting solution. Back to the work bench! [8D]

Paul
Old 05-27-2008, 05:45 PM
casey_lamm

anyone running the 3400 for tail servo?

if so how did you mount it.