Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Eflite stock servo question CP Pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Eflite stock servo question CP Pro?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:02 PM
JPEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eflite stock servo question CP Pro?

Hey Doc,

Sounds like your getting ready to Cowboy Up and go for the flip, good luck!

JPee
Old 06-03-2008, 03:13 PM
rotarydoc

Hey JPEE,

WHO, ME ???!!! No way!! That's Nick, (evedreamer) not me!!

Heck, I can barely do one on the sim, much less in real life!!

I think Nick is close to trying one on his Belt CP...

Trying to work up the courage...

He's got more B#$%@S than I will have for quite some time if he goes for it!!

Take care,

Glenn

PS, I can do one on the sim, it's just flying around inverted that gets me every time!
Old 06-03-2008, 03:34 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I am struggling with going the other way in the backwards figure 8. I thought I should practice going both ways. I can visualize how it should go, but my hands mess the whole thing up in flight. I am also struggling with a left side stall turn. I think it is easy for me on the right side because there are trees over there. Then I know I am going straight up by following the trees. Then I tried doing a right spin in the air during the stall turn. I would love to do a death spiral in real life. That is were the helicopter does a 90 degree flip on the side. Then have zero pitch and go full front elevator and watch the helicopter spin and fall to the ground. Wow I am really dreaming about more than I can do. You will get the left turn down. Just keep practicing.

I like helidirect too because of the fast shipping. UShobbysupply is in the D.C. area I think and I always get stuff from them fast too.

Good to hear you had a good day at work.

I got two flights in so far on the Belt CP. I don't think I will go to the baseball field today because it is very humid out. I can barely stand the 6 minute flights I get. Then I put a new tail motor in the CPP. When I was doing a small pirouette to test the gain out I ran it into my cement step. I broke the landing gear that was super glued and I lost the carbon rod that holds the rear part of the canopy. The weather channel said it was supposed to rain yesterday and today, but it isn't too cloudy out today and didn't rain yesterday.

Nick

Old 06-03-2008, 04:30 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Nick,

I was just sitting here, getting ready to bring the CPP in for a test flight, and was thinking about direct drive tail motors, and the new CPP2. Didn't you say you tried a DD motor setup on your CPP, but didn't like it? I was wondering why it didn't work out? Maybe I already asked you, but forgot? What brand was it?

The last couple of flights outside, even before the main motor (?) issue, the tail was really buggin' me, the way it keeps flipping out to the right (nose left)....which indicates it's losing tail rotor speed. I have a new motor, if I get the main motor issue solved, I may try the new tail motor and see how it goes. This thing that it does is not really a "wag", it lasts longer than that, it actually puts the tail out to the right a good 45 degrees, and I have to correct for it. Have you ever come across this?

I'll see how it does here in a little bit with the newer motor.

Sorry to hear about the crash into the steps, sounds pretty minor, glad you didn't get the blades/rotor head...

Talk to you,

Glenn
Old 06-03-2008, 04:47 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I never got to use the DD motor because I had no screws for it. It was by GWS. I heard a few other people were using them so I thought I would give it a try. Now I am just going to wait for the E-flite DD motor to come out. And I am curious if the new main motor for the CPP2 is any better than the one for the CPP.

The tail never holds for me like the belt driven tail. I fly it slow and scale like so the tail is easier to control. But if I try to fly it like my Belt CP it will swing all over the place. The CPP doesn't like backwards flight without a gyro. I am always giving rudder input to keep it in one spot.

Yeah the crash was minor. Some how the old super glue stuck it self together again, so the landing struts are fine again. I just need that carbon rod to attach the canopy. Or I could fly without the canopy, but if I get in a crash the electronics are more exposed.

Hope you get some fun flights in today.

Nick
Old 06-03-2008, 08:15 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I went out to my local flying field today and had a blast. Most of them fly airplanes, but were a great bunch of people. I got to take the trainer up on a buddy box and did back flips and rolls. If flipping is as easy on a helicopter as it was on a airplane I am going to have a lot of fun. Since it was a nitro the flight lasted a long time. Then before my flight a guy's elevator fell off in mid flight and the airplane made a nice thud. A lot of dirt came up from the crash. Then there were a couple of people doing mild 3D on their airplanes. That was amazing!

Nick
Old 06-03-2008, 11:04 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Nick,

Sounds like you did have a blast! Good for you! Glad you got to meet some people and got to fly a plane, sounds like it was fun!

Glad the damage to the CPP was minimal...

I got to fly today for about 2 minutes. I realized right away that it was not the motor at all. While I was flying I realized that it would lose altitude only with right aileron. I got it back to the bench, and thought I found the problem. The servo arms had a lot of play in them, like in the geartrain of the servos. So, I packed it all up, and went home with it.

Got it all apart, I had new gearsets already, from when I ordered 4 sets. I put in the new gearsets, and something went way wrong with one of them. It just sat there an buzzed, and would not move. I thought I had it bound up somehow, but I couldn't see anything wrong. I had another spare servo, that needed gears, so I put gears in it, and tried it, and it seemed OK.

Then, I put everything back together, and tried it. No luck at all. The servo arms still have the same amount of play in them, even with new gears. After much observation, I realized what is happening. If I slowly give it right aileron, the left rear servo (aux) which is the only one that does not have excessive play, moves fine....but the right rear servo (aileron) does not move right away along with it. This results in the swash being lifted, changing the main blade pitch, thereby, my altitude problem. I tried using my spare DX6i, to eliminate the radio, and it was the same. I can watch it on the monitor, and it all looks good.

I am going to have to assume that I have at least two bad servos, as they just don't seem to be right. Not only do they have too much play in the arms, but they don't seem to react as they should compared to the newest one that has no play.

I am wondering if tomorrow, I can substitute the old servos from the B400 temporarily, not even mount them, just plug them in and watch how they react to inputs.

I am pretty frustrated with it tonight, have been working on it since I got off work.

I guess I'll price some new Eflite servos, I can't see spending alot of money on good servos for the CPP...

Hope you have a great day flying tomorrow as well!

I think I am going to concentrate on the B400...I always get frustrated with the way the CPP flies...

Talk to ya soon,

Glenn
Old 06-04-2008, 12:01 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I had a bad servo on the CPP before. It was flying really bad, but I thought it was just me being a new pilot. Then one day I saw it moved weird on the bench. Then once I replaced it all was good again.

You could try using the good servo on the CPP and just plug it into the other pins instead having to hook up the B400 servos. Just another option.

I don't really spend too much money on the CPP. I find that I am happier with the stock setup on the CPP and CX. I would rather spend the money on the 400-450 sized helicopters.

Hope you get the problem worked out on the CPP and have a better day tomorrow.

Nick
Old 06-04-2008, 09:51 AM
rotarydoc

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the reply, and suggestions. Last night, at the last minute, I went ahead and ordered 2 new Eflite servos, since the one seems like it's acting OK.
They are only $13 each, so it's not so bad. I really believe that the tailboom strikes might have something to do with the servo problems, I did not have this problem before....

I will probably go back to the lighter, stock Eflite blades for a while anyways, to see how it goes.

However, I did notice another potential problem that might be contributing to the boomstrikes...the grips/rotor head on my CPP seem really sloppy. In both ways. In other words, the grips have a good amount of play in and out when you pull/push on them. And also, maybe related to that, the grips have a LOT of movement in the rotor head where the orings are. I put new orings, but it's no better.

I have one shim in as it came from the factory. Is there any other reason for having too much play in that area? The spindle is new, and all the other parts are all there, and seem to be in good shape otherwise.

The amont of play I have, and the thinness of the shims would lead me to believe that I would need a LOT of shims to make the slop go away...am I overlooking something? (if I had to guess, I would say the grips have .010 to .015 of end play, in and out) I notice that unlike the B400, this setup does not use a thrust bearing, only ball bearings...stacked together.

I ran out of time last night, I'm gonna plug the B400 servos in tonight, and see what it does, at least I can watch them and get an idea of what's going on.

Hope you have a great day, maybe your T-Rex will come in today!

Glenn
Old 06-04-2008, 12:00 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I have a little bit a movement in my grips. I don't have a feeler gauge to get an exact measurement. It has been awhile since I had the grips off, but is there a step washer in there? And is it facing the right way on the spindle. It looks from the bolt that I have a washer, then a step washer, then the grips, then another step washer, then a shim, then the head assembly. Then the opposite on the other side. Does that sound similar to what you have?

I just got the T-Rex. So I will probably be working on that all day.

Hope you can get that blade grip problem worked out.

Nick
Old 06-04-2008, 03:42 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Nick,

Yep, that sounds right, mine is the same. The bag of orings came with some fuel tubing, any idea what that is for? I posted to the group, maybe someone knows? I am wondering if you are supposed to use it to shim up the head, instead of using shims? I'll figure it out eventually, I suppose!

COOL! The T-Rex is in!!

I know you are going to have fun building that machine!

Let us know how you make out with it...

Glenn
Old 06-04-2008, 05:35 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I have no idea what the fuel tubing is for.

I have a good majority of the T-Rex together. It has been an enjoyable experience so far. And since it is a kit I know all the bearings will be oiled and all the screws will have loc-tite. The manual is easy to understand and has great pictures of the helicopter assembly. It doesn't have a step by step process, so I am just winging it. I just got done mowing, so I will upload some pictures while I cool off. I have been working on the T-Rex for 5 hours now.

Did you get the B400 out today?

Nick
Old 06-04-2008, 05:56 PM
evdreamer

Here is what I have so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19671.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	963711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75372.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	963712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84370.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	963713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84463.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	963714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23240.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	963715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20379.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	963716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83271.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	963717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21934.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	963718  

Old 06-04-2008, 09:49 PM
rotarydoc

Wow, that is impressive!!

LOTS of cool carbon fiber, and aluminum!!

Looks like it's coming together really nicely!

I would be afraid to fly it!! LOL

Have fun, and keep us updated on the progress!

Lookin' good!

Glenn
Old 06-04-2008, 10:54 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

It is pretty cool. I am having some receiver problems. I hooked up my new AR6200 and it is flashing after I binded it. I have full control of the servos, but there is nothing in the manual talking about it flashing. So I will have to contact horizon about it. They put loc-tite on the majority of the screws, but they missed a few. Then they put a lot on a couple of them. And I stripped one of the allen head screws trying to get it out. Every thing is super smooth. There is a lot of cool small features in the head and tail section that make it operate smoothly. Right now I am kind of stuck on the servos and I had to take half of the frame off again. The motor is huge compared to my Belt CP motor. It will still take a couple more days to finish it. Then I need to go to the LHS tomorrow and pick up a Dean connector.

Hope you have good weather tomorrow and get some flights in.

Nick

Old 06-05-2008, 01:33 AM
evdreamer

It's almost done! All I have left to do is set the gear mesh and set up all the electronics. I am a little disappointed that the canopy was a little messed up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42730.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	964040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60120.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	964041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89194.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	964042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69662.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	964043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48690.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	964044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25844.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	964045  
Old 06-05-2008, 09:39 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Nick,

The pictures look awesome! I guess the canopy is a little messed up there in the front? I can barely notice it in the pictures...but I can understand how it would bother you. I guess it would bother me too on a brand new heli.

I'm still waiting on the servos. In the meantime, I could not resist the sale price on my LHS's CPP's...so I brought one home today!! Call me stupid, call me addicted, call me a glutton for punishment, whatever, but I just had to have it!

Most of the reason I bought it was to have spare parts, and the battery of course. I also used it alot already to compare to my old CPP. Turns out, alot of what I was thinking was worn out, isn't...the main blades and grips I was worried about are very nearly the way mine are. I also got a chance to look at the servos, which I do believe are at fault on the old one.

I took it out for it's maiden voyage at the shop today...straight out of the box. I didn't touch a thing, except adjust the blade tracking by 1/2 turn, which was off. WOW, what an experience! I had forgotten how sensitive, twitchy, and responsive a stock CPP is !! The head speed is incredible compared to what I am used to! I found the throttle to be extremely responsive, and quite twitchy. I would really like to fly it outside some, but it was just too windy today. The 3 in 1 was set up really nice right out of the box, the tail was quite well behaved, actually. I didn't notice any glitches with the stock FM radio so far.

Well, I took the B400 out for a few packs, in fairly gusty breezes. I am learning some aerobatic manuvers, but not by choice!! LOL. I had a couple of saves that should have been on You Tube!! At one point, the heli was headed for a building, going backwards/sideways, and FAST...how I saved it, I still don't know!! It is amazing that it is still in one piece....to be honest. In the process, I did have a half dozen or so sucessful right turns, which I what my practice goal was today. But, that is also what started the whacko out of control save...a right turn gone bad. It's absolutely amazing how fast things can go wrong with one of these helis! Other than that, I also learned alot more about flying in wind, including how a heli can almost be "stuck" in a wind current, I wasn't sure if it was going to come back down! I have read people flying in idle up in the wind, but I don't know if I'm quite ready for that yet.

The other good thing that happened today, was that I discovered that the battery I suspected was bad, is. It started acting up again today, same pack, same way. This time, I was able to reproduce it, by pressing on just the right area of the battery where the main leads go into the pack. I will be calling Horizon to see what they can do for me on that pack.

Well, that was my day in a nutshell! Hope the electronics are going well on the T-Rex, keep us updated!!!

Have fun,

Glenn
Old 06-05-2008, 11:22 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I spun the rotors by hand and it spun 3 or 4 revolutions. I would be lucky to have one full revolution on the Belt CP. Then I can tap the flybar and it moves very easy.

I was using the ESC from the Belt CP since I didn't have the Dean connector for the new ESC. So I don't know if that was the problem or not.

It is kind of weird that I have a GY401 on the Belt CP then I am going to use a GY240 on the T-Rex. And I am also using my better tail servo on the Belt CP and one that is ok on the T-Rex. I just don't want to set up the tail on the Belt CP again.

The manual list the measurements of the pushrods and they seem to be very close. So all I have to do is make sure the swashplate is level and set up the servos and tail.

Yeah the front part of the canopy has some fibers coming out. I don't see how that could happen since it was rapped in a lot of styrofoam. I won't notice it in the air, so I can live with it. It was cool that GrandRC put a free blade holder in with my order. I was hoping the case the T-Rex came with would fit the built helicopter in it, but it is too small.

I thought you were going to wait for the CPP2. But I guess that is a good deal for parts. I really would like a T-Rex 600N super pro. It is like the 450SEV2 of the 600 sized helicopters. But it comes with a $1000 price tag. OUCH! That is without all the electronics.

I couldn't fly any helicopters today, because there have been tornado warnings and watches here yesterday and today. And the winds have been pretty strong.

With your B400 it sounds like your instincts kicked in and saved the helicopter.

Hope you have better weather tomorrow than the weather here.

Nick
Old 06-06-2008, 11:31 AM
rotarydoc

Hey Nick,

Wow, sounds like the T-Rex has a very low friction gear/belt train, since it spins that long. I have never tried that on the B400's yet. Yes, the flybar should be very free, I found that out the hard way on the CPP...a stiff flybar makes for a very wobbley helicopter. I had overtightened the bell mixing arm screws, and the CPP flew horribly, wobbling all over the place, barely able to control it.

Sounds like you are getting it close to flying. I guess getting the servos set up is one of the more difficult things to get correct. And getting the swash level.

Yeah, this CPP is mostly for spare parts, and observation of what things should normally look/feel like. I already answered alot of my questions about the grip movement/play issues I was having. Turns out, there was really nothing wrong, but the new one does have a little less play in the grips, but not much. I will probably still get a CPP2, but I'm betting that it will be released later than they are saying, I'll bet mid to late July. I could be wrong, but wasn't the B400 way later than it's release date? We'll see. I might also just use the new CPP to do an upgrade to the CPP 2, depending on the cost of the parts.

Thanks for the compliment on instincts saving the heli. I think it was about half instinct, and half luck. To be honest, though, I do practice on the sim doing just that, intentionally putting the heli in some very crazy attitudes, and directions, and practice saving it from crashing. Maybe that helped here some, I can't say for sure.

Good luck with the new bird, and hopefully the weather will get better for you soon!

Glenn
Old 06-06-2008, 12:53 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Good to hear the new CPP is helping out to see how your other CPP should be like. Yeah I think the B400 was a few months late on the release date.

I always have a problem with the helicopter getting too far in the sim. Then there is no recovery for something I can't see.

I would like to finish the T-Rex, but I haven't had much time lately. So it will probably be done some time next week.

Have a good day.

Nick
Old 06-06-2008, 04:11 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Nick,

Glad to hear the T-Rex is going well. I wouldn't push it if you don't have enough time, like you said, there is always next week.

I have a problem in REAL LIFE with the heli going too far away!! LOL I have, on two occasions now, had to get it tail in, land it, and go closer to it so I can keep oriented. Both of these dramas were aided by a good amount of wind...

I am hoping to get the servos this weekend, so I can get my old CPP back in the air. The thing that motivates me so much with that bird is that I was really starting to enjoy flying it outside on a calm day...it was quite a bit of fun, until the tailboom strike. So, I'll go for it again, but this time with the Eflite blades at first. That's the only reason I can think of for the tailboom strikes, the heavier (twice as heavy) HD1141 blades I was trying. I think the tailboom strikes are what did the servos in as well...maybe best to try some stock blades for awhile.

Have a great weekend,

Glenn
Old 06-06-2008, 11:37 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

It would be nice if the LHS was open 24/7. I am more of a night owl so I could pick up the parts I need at night instead of the morning to evening when I have the most stuff going on.

It seems like the wind always picks up at the worst time possible in flight.

Hope you can get your old CPP up in the air soon and don't have any more boom strikes.

Hope you have some good flights in tomorrow.

Nick
Old 06-07-2008, 12:10 AM
rotarydoc

Hey Nick,

Yeah, I am a night owl myself, thus this post at 1AM my time! I don't have to work tomorrow, so I can stay up late and play...

My servos didn't come in today, I ordered them from Hobbyshopworld, in FL. They were very quick last time, but not so much this time around. If they don't make it tomorrow, I'll probably steal the ones out of the new CPP!

I'm going to use stock Eflite rotor blades at first, see if it helps with the boomstrikes.

I had a great evening flying, although I only got two packs in. Getting the right turn/circle thing down now. I realized what I was doing wrong. About halfway at the 180 point, was where it would get away from me...I realized that if I put a little rearward elevator in it mid turn, it helps keep it from "running away" from me, keeps the nose up a bit. I also did some work on nose-in hovering, you know how much practice that takes...

I called Horizon today on the battery with the bad connection. They are sending me a new one. But, it wasn't that easy. At first, they wanted me to send the old pack and the reciept back. When I mentioned the question of how to send a LiPo in the mail, the guy put me on hold. He said he pulled some strings, and I didn't have to send the old pack back. But, the Eflite 2100's are on backorder, so I'll have to wait a while. Still, great service from Horizon!!

I haven't heard anything on my receiver yet, but it has not been very long.

I am looking very forward to flying this weekend, after my success this evening. Ever notice how some days, flying just "clicks" and you can do much better than other days? This was one of my good days...hope I can continue my progress.

The weather is going to be brutal this weekend here...95 to 100...with heat indexes of 105-110 in some places!! Today already felt like a day in August...wonder how my electronics will hold up? We'll see, I suppose.

I am probably going to knock the cobwebs off of my spare B400, I have never really flown it yet...only hovered a little in the shop. I hope the stock servos don't bite me!!

I am so glad I found that bad battery, that could have been a disaster....now I will have a good test pack, for checking electronics, blade tracking, etc. I will never fly that pack again!

Hope you can get some flying in this weekend...

Glenn
Old 06-07-2008, 12:50 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I was up to 5 A.M. the last couple of nights working on the T-Rex and doing other stuff I was putting off for a while.

How was Heliproz service and shipping with your JIS screwdrivers. I was thinking about ordering from them in the future. They seem to have some cool stuff. By the way Align had JIS screwdrivers with the T-Rex. They kind of look like the ones that come with the CX except for the tip. So they are kind of hard to apply any torque or loosen screws with a lot of loc-tite. If your servos don't come in tomorrow least you have plenty of other helicopters to fly.

I want to try the symmetricals from E-flite again, but my LHS doesn't stock them. But they have plenty of plastic symmetricals.

I use rear elevator in my turns and it seems a lot like flying an airplane. The only difference is that I have to add rudder with the helicopter, but not the airplane. Good to hear you had a good flying day. Is nose in hovering getting any easier? Was it with the B400 or CPP? It is a lot easier with the 400 size helicopters than the CPP in my opinion.

I haven't had to deal with Horizon's customer service yet, but by what people say about them I am a loyal customer for life.

Yeah I have good and bad days too. Some days doing simple hovering or the tricks I am working on are hard then other days they are very easy. I just try to enjoy the good days the most that I can, because the next might not turn out so well.

Let me know how your electronics turn out in the heat. In a couple of months it is going to get in the 90's to 100's and I am interested how my flight times and electronics are going to turn out. And it is supposed to rain for five days so I probably won't be able to fly for a while.

I still use my CX batteries to set up the electronics on CPP. I might try using the Align battery I got with the T-Rex on the CPP charger or I might get another balancer so I can use it on my other charger. Align's batteries aren't that expensive compared to some others I looked at, so they might turn out to be a good alternative battery.

Nick
Old 06-07-2008, 11:30 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I fired up the T-Rex just a few minutes ago. It was pretty cool. It didn't have the main blades on since I did it inside, so it might sound better with the main blades. Earlier today I made sure the servos moved the right way. Then I programmed the ESC before I fired it up. Now I just need to set up the head assembly and I am done.

I figured a way to get my receiver to stop blinking, but if I unplug the battery and plug it back in the receiver starts to blink again. And it doesn't do that on my other AR6200. I emailed Spektrum about it, so I am waiting for response.

It is still windy here so I won't be able to fly tomorrow.

Hope you have some good weather.

Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.