Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade CX2 High Altitude Lost Signal

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade CX2 High Altitude Lost Signal

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Arranjer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade CX2 High Altitude Lost Signal

Greetings!

All excited about my new FlyCam One rv2 in my second day of flying with it this morning I encountered dead calm conditions and wanted to film the sunrise from above the treetops! Well, it was a relatively short flight. I would estimate my height at about 200 feet before it started to shudder a bit. I tried to add throttle and that's when the motors quit and it dropped like a stone and hit the street in front of my house with a terrible thud!

I had just replaced the transmitter batteries and I know before I've been able to get signal from further than a city block away on the ground.

Is there something with a CX2 antenna that I need to change to increase the altitude? Is straight over head a problem due to antenna pattern?

Miraculously the camera survived intact and so did the major electronics on the heli. Main shaft gear is broken (Extreme core) and canopy shattered. Less than 20 bucks! Even the lipo seems fine.

I always appreciate hearing from the experts, especially when I do something stupid! If you'd like to see pics of the cam mount which I devised and a successful flight go to "Blade CX2 & FlyCam One-2" on Youtube. Unfortunately I turned the cam power off with stopping it in the panic after the crash so I don't have the high altitude pics from this morning. Bummer.

Jerry in Maryland
Old 06-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Druss

Default RE: Blade CX2 High Altitude Lost Signal

The major point with the 2.4ghz antenna is that the signal is strongest from the side, so if you were pointing the antenna of the tx upwards at the heli then it won't be as strong.

Also, be aware that the radio and receiver in the cx2 is a park flyer, I would not suggest you fly it more than 100' away.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:30 PM
xyster101

They only have a range of about 200' much past that you really can't even see it to orient it right. You can also try this on the ground, just walk away and see how long it takes until you can't spin up the blades. It is supposed to be flown inside, so outside is above and beyond what it was designed to do.
Lets see the video!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:29 AM
H3li

What is it with the CX2 and these high altitude stories? There must be 3 or 4 people every week reporting this same mishap! [joke]
Yes, the CX2 Spektrum 2.4GHz transmitter/Rx is a (relatively) short range combo. It is not really designed to take the Heli so far away.
As said, it's best suited to indoors, or your rear garden at most.

I'd guess if you had taken the CX2 200 feet out, and not UP, you would have lost control and range in the same way.
Another similar way of performing a range test - have a friend hold your CX2, then you walk further and further away, moving the cyclic on your Transmitter until the range is lost, and the CX2 stops responding - THAT will give you quite an accurate guide to your range available.

Unfortunate no video was recorded, would have made for a great UTube video! Hope the damage wasnt too bad??
I also have the same CAM, but will be fitting it to my 450 class Heli
Old 06-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Bijan999
My Feedback: (2)

Sounds very familiar See here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7026450
Old 06-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a DX-7 transmitter if you expect to fly your CX-2 any distance.
The LP5DSM is a Low Powered transmitter, and range, if you're very lucky, will be 200'.
The DX-7 will control the airplane beyond visual range.
I fly one of my Gentle Lady 2 meters out past a 1/4, with the AR6100 receiver that now comes with the CX-2.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15842.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	969209