Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:58 PM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

JPEE,

Good to hear your 450 is finished and that it is flying good.

I just finished my LCD cable up. It took 5 hours of trial and error to get it right. My LCD is working now, but I am not getting the correct readings. So it might be a programming error or hardware error. I will check it out some other day.

Nick
Old 04-22-2010, 08:21 AM
JPEE

Hi Nick,

Wow 5 hours, oooooweeee you have a "stick to it" attitude on your project. Glad you got it nailed. Thanks for the PM and when I get home this morning and follow your instructions and let you know. At first I thought the radio could not see the gyro so that why the menu was blank but then when i used the DX6i then I knew it was some programing issue. Whats funny to me is that with all of the many models I have plugged in this has never hanppend before. Again, I'll let you know later how it came out and hopefully there will be full on maiden.

JPEE
Old 04-22-2010, 03:19 PM
jroo

Looks like my Align 450 is now in the US and in transit. Maybe tomorrow? Hope so!

Got a question. I recently purchased a set of Align 325mm Pro woody blades. In the package was 2 holographic stickers. Are these tracking stickers or what? Do you leave em on? I've seen decorative holographic stickers for blades, are these decorative or functional?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Well, I managed to get some flying in at lunch today....we are super slow, so I was able to sneak out a bit early for lunch...

Flew one pack in the B400 to check the motor bearing repair out, and it's fine....then flew two packs in the 450. It was a gorgeous day to fly, mid 60's, and not much wind, and the park was ALL MINE!

Nick,

Glad to see you got your LCD cable done, sorry there's still some bugs...

Question; I just got my RC Heli magazine for April....it's got an article about the Velocity, and has an X Cell Fury 55 on the front...is that the one that you've had about 3 weeks now with the Quark 3D metioned in it? If so, I'm getting my RC Heli mags waaaay late!

JPEE,

Congrats on the 450 !! Hope you can get it in the air for a real maiden flight sometime soon...I know you'll be a happy camper!

jreue,

You aren not the first person to wonder that, myself included.

I have asked some people, and the general concensus seems to be that they are applied to the blades to improve the rotor "disc" visibility in flight...I don't think they are for tracking, or balance....[sm=confused.gif]

But to be honest, I have never gotten a firm, certain answer on that question...maybe somebody else can add to my thoughts...

Glenn
Old 04-22-2010, 05:26 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That is cool you had some extra time to fly. Good to hear your new bearings are working out good.

Yeah the last RC Heli mag I got was the one with the Fury 55 on the cover. I can't remember when I got it, but I had it for awhile now.

Nick
Old 04-22-2010, 05:40 PM
JPEE

Hi Guys,

I did another short hover in the rain/drizzle today to finalize the 450 Pro. The real maiden yet to come.

I have attached some pic's to show you the issues I had with a clone. I know they say, never say never BUT I don't know that I would do this again.

One of the screws behind the top flybar cage arms that rocks the cage was not screwed in deep enough and it was rubbing causing the cage to be stiff. What I found as you can see is the one side of the piece was not drilled deep enough to allow the bearing and the screw head to drop in to where it should be. Pounded that punk in as far as she would go and then tweaked the arm just a hair and the clearance was there.

The tail box, oh baby! I was nearly done with the heli when I was screwing on the tail fin which holds the tail box as well. The screw snapped off. My buddy took it to the bench and drilled it through so I could put a nut on the back. Well two "old timers" thought that was a great idea until...........when we put the fin back on the screw was not long enough to nut! So rather than go look for a 2 mm screw that was 2 mm longer we Dremeled the block so the threads would come through and we Loctited it.

I must say I am very impressed with how she hovers, I cannot imagine the flying will be any less than great! I cant wait

Oh, if I did not mention this. After the heli was DONE I spooled her up and the motor ran backwards. THIS IS THE PROBLEM with using clone parts. The ESC was the Align Pro unit, the motor was an Exceed Pro. I had red to red, black to black and something like ( I forgot ) yellow to blue. What a *itch to tear the front of the heli off again where the electrics are to get to that and reverse the wires. Should I have checked rotation on the bench, heck YES. I had only checked to see if the motor ran. A lesson learned believe me. I was just so used to doing complete kits where everything is straight foward.

Smiles JPEE
Old 04-22-2010, 05:44 PM
JPEE

Hi Guys,

I did another short hover in the rain/drizzle today to finalize the 450 Pro. The real maiden yet to come.

I have attached some pic's to show you the issues I had with a clone. I know they say, never say never BUT I don't know that I would do this again.

One of the screws behind the top flybar cage arms that rocks the cage was not screwed in deep enough and it was rubbing causing the cage to be stiff. What I found as you can see is the one side of the piece was not drilled deep enough to allow the bearing and the screw head to drop in to where it should be. Pounded that punk in as far as she would go and then tweaked the arm just a hair and the clearance was there.

The tail box, oh baby! I was nearly done with the heli when I was screwing on the tail fin which holds the tail box as well. The screw snapped off. My buddy took it to the bench and drilled it through so I could put a nut on the back. Well two "old timers" thought that was a great idea until...........when we put the fin back on the screw was not long enough to nut! So rather than go look for a 2 mm screw that was 2 mm longer we Dremeled the block so the threads would come through and we Loctited it.

I must say I am very impressed with how she hovers, I cannot imagine the flying will be any less than great! I cant wait

Oh, if I did not mention this. After the heli was DONE I spooled her up and the motor ran backwards. THIS IS THE PROBLEM with using clone parts. The ESC was the Align Pro unit, the motor was an Exceed Pro. I had red to red, black to black and something like ( I forgot ) yellow to blue. What a *itch to tear the front of the heli off again where the electrics are to get to that and reverse the wires. Should I have checked rotation on the bench, heck YES. I had only checked to see if the motor ran. A lesson learned believe me. I was just so used to doing complete kits where everything is straight foward.

NICK, THANK YOU! YOU WERE A 100% RIGHT ON THE MONEY ON THE DX7
Smiles JPEE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12965.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	1422967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45034.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	1422968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51431.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	1422969  
Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

I am glad I could help out.

Nick
Old 04-23-2010, 02:55 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi everyone,

JPEE,

I am sorry to hear you had such issues with your HK Pro - at least your ready for a maiden. A clone is what it is and some extra work is to be expected but you and your bud went above in my opinion. [] I'm with you - having tried a clone will not try one again. Fingers crossed on nice weather ahead.

Nick,

That is some dedicated persistance on the 5 hour troubleshoot. Hope things are straightening themselves out for you.

Joining me for the overnight are we - ah, let the fun begin. Might want to put up some aluminum foil or something over your window to make your room very dark - will help you to sleep during the day. A small fan might also help to drown out some of the daytime noise -people in the other rooms, cars driving outside, kids playing, etc. You'll be surprised.

jreue,

That was some fast shipping on your Sport. Do you plan to use the stock 410 cyclic servo's? There has been a lot of discussion with the reliability of them over at Helifreak - just be cautious if you keep them. Your going to love the new 450M motor - it has gobs of power and will rocket your ship like nothing else.

Glenn,

Great news on the awesome weather and having the field to yourself. Isn't it nice when everything comes together like that?

Not much going on this week. Had the chance to go over the Pro and check everything for tightness and what-not. Also finally pulled the main grips and replaced the radial and thrust bearings - they were getting a bit gritty and needed to go. Replaced them with some nice ABEC-3's I got from Helidirect. Time for a flight test now.

Mark
Old 04-23-2010, 02:49 PM
jroo

Mark
Yea I was planning on using the 410's. Do you recall the problem people were having?

Old 04-23-2010, 05:56 PM
JPEE

Hey Guys,

My maiden.

I used a Fatuba 401 gyro that has been hit and miss. I have flown it a few times since and though it got damaged in a 400 crash about a year ago. Well I put that on the 450 and as I said did two hovers and she checked out ok. Today I went out and flew dang near through the pack when the tail stopped working, I had no control. It appears I need a new boom, canopy, blades, and landing gear. The 450 is on shelf, I just have to much to do now to weenie around with it, I need a break.................

JPEE

Name:	Fd92239.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	1423527  
Old 04-23-2010, 06:36 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

I worked on my power panel till 3am yesterday. I first tried to find the problem with the ammeter. I couldn't find anything wrong with the hardware, so I will have to check out my software. In the process of doing that my controller for the glow starter stopped working, so I had to replace that. I think the heat from my soldering iron fried the chip. Then I have to figure out what is going on with my temp sensor/software for that. Right now it displays -14 degrees in a 60 degree environment. That chip might be fried too. I have been working on this project for months, so I am not going to give up easily.

JPEE,

Sorry about the 450.

Nick
Old 04-23-2010, 10:21 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Just checking in...I got some flying in today...was gorgeous again, and the field was all mine!!! Flew the 450, and the B400 for a bit....both are flying well...no issues, the 450 motor doesn't seem to be getting any worse, maybe it'll hang in there until the Open House at my heli club.

jreue,

I have heard of the issues with the DS410MG's in the Pro, but I have not had a single issue or glitch with mine yet. I think Finless and some other guys over at Heli Freak were saying they thought it might have been how some guys were installing/mounting them...but I can't remember specifics. Mine have been flawless so far....

Nick,

Hope you have better luck with the panel, sounds like it's giving you fits....but as you said, you're in it for the long haul now...gotta stick with it! Good luck...

That was the RC Heli mag issue that I just got...not sure what's up with their distribution system, but if it keeps up, I'll have to let them know...[&o]

JPEE,

It makes me sick to see that picture....not the way a maiden is supposed to go...[&o]

I guess putting it on the shelf for a bit might be best....hope you can pinpoint the culprit, hopefully it was just that wrecked gyro, and you can get it back in the air soon. I know you have alot of other stuff going on, so put that aside for now...it'll be there for another day!

Glenn
Old 04-23-2010, 10:33 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That is great you had nice weather and a place to fly. It was/is storming today and it looks like it will be storming for a few days.

You just got the last issue of RC Heli mag and I just got a new issue today. I wonder what is going on.

Nick
Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Aframomum

jreue,

Here's the link to the Helifreak thread I was referring to: [link=http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=141010&highlight=ds410]Link[/link] Not everyone has had issues, as Glenn pointed out, but something to consider and be informed about.

JPEE,

Very sorry to see a maiden end like that. Do take some time for yourself and forget about heli flying for a bit. Maybe take a plane out and just relax with some friends. Your heli's will still be there when you get back. With the house, the 500 repairs, and building the 450 you have been pushing yourself lately. Time to take a step back. Take the wife out for a nice dinner, just the both of you.

Glenn,

Another great flying day, two in a row! How about that. Hey, I think your 500 is getting jealous! Good thing with the motor on both 400 heli's.

Mark
Old 04-24-2010, 01:55 AM
evdreamer

Guys,

I got my temp gauge working now. I had another stupid short in a solder joint. I still haven't been able to figure out what is going on with my ammeter though.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I'm bummed too. I flew the 450 yesterday and the first flight was not so good. The heli didn't want to track well and I had bad tail wag. I was able to land ok and check things out. I found that my main blade grips had come loose. One of the feathering shaft screws. I'm lucky I didn't loose the blades inflight. After I got that fixed, I found that my rudder servo was acting funny. I just installed a new Hitec 5084 to replace the DS420 that went bad before the first flight and now its not working. I did find a loose tail blade grip also. I think it may be the culprit. Anyway, I'm down until I can get another rudder servo.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:57 AM
jroo

oh no!!!

Ilove flying-hobby.com.
Ordered Monday at 11pm. At my door Saturday at 9am

Name:	Tr50135.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1423942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49094.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1423943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87397.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1423944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32077.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1423945  
Old 04-24-2010, 11:15 AM
jroo

Watching the Finless videos as Igo along. Itook his advice and disassembled the head to ensure the thrust bearings had grease.....Not a drop could be found....

Name:	Rp43263.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1423993  
Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
evdreamer

Steve,

If there is still oil on the screws from the machining process try putting the screws in acetone to get the oil off.

Jreue,

That is cool you got your 450 today.

Nick
Old 04-24-2010, 11:41 AM
jroo

Got the thrust bearings greased and feather shaft assembly back in with thread locker. Man, this thing is build like a tank! That feathering shaft is so much more robust than the B400. Ialso love the simplicity of the assembly. The B400 has like 10 washers and bearings on either side. This is just so nice!
Old 04-24-2010, 02:23 PM
jroo

Head is done! I love the non-adjustable links on this thing as Ibelieve it makes head setup sooo much easier. Less adjustable parts means less headache

Added paddles and flybar weights. These paddles go on so much easier than the Trex 250. Those were an absolute pain.

Name:	Wu61384.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1424087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44289.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1424088  
Old 04-24-2010, 03:57 PM
JPEE

Hey Guys,

A quick story.

I have shared this poor young ladies misfourtune with everyone I know here. It does bring it home. In a way, it's like the carpenter that has been in the trade for 40 years, LOOK his missing a finger from a saw where at one time he go to close to the blade.

Two weeks ago "I" was at the City Zoned Fly Park. A guy has a trex clone 450 on the bench. He shut off his radio BEFORE he dissconnected this battery. Depending where your throttle is on BIND that where the ESC will go to if radio link breaks down. Well, he shuts off the radio and WHAMMO that sucker fires up and the blades start going on the bench there right next to me. He tries to grab the blades and his hand get banged good! So then his smacks the heli with his fist downward and breaks and stops the baldes as the J Screw finally sheered. Now the guy standing next to him a "like Rick Barrick" who been building and flying for 35 years comments; a guys godda be careful! Well last week he did the same exact thing ( I was not there but the other guy who shut his radio off last time was) This guy #2s heli spools up a trex clone 450, and he too bangs at the heli with his hands the J bolt breaks again BUT now the 450 is laying on its side. He reached with his other hand down to the counter but the heli is still running and the tail moved on the table top and came around nearly WACKED off TWO FINGERS...........guys this is for real. He had to be taken to the hospital and my friend has not heard from him since so we dont know the exact end of this tail.
Today a few of us met to do a 3 hour fly at 7:30 a.m. We now set our radio two steps away on the ground, walk over to the heli and then plug in the battery. Then its back to the radio for make ready to lift off. Then when we land, same thing. Set the radio down and walk over to the heli. With all of this going on, it is a LIFE safety refresher course for sure!

JREUE, the build looks great. Have fun with and you gonna have a great heli when its done. The only tip I can give you is on my clone unside of the nose battery try there was a fin of plastic to increase the strength of the nose. I had to Dremel that out so the ESC would fit. Perhaps the "real" trex wont need that.

GLENN, thanks for the kind words.

AH MR. NICK, I am so glade to hear the progress but am regretful for what you have gone through with the boards/solder and such. I have to laugh when I say this but Nick, are you building a clone too LOL.

STEVE, man it sounds like your going through it too. I hope you nail the tail OOPS that sounded sex oriented on the heli.

MARK, That sounds like sage advice for sure. (you don't think she'd notice the 450 in a small carry bag at the resturant do you? shoooooooosh mums the word).

Happy flying and remember as Jeff say's FLY IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

JPEE
Old 04-24-2010, 04:38 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

I think a lot of people treat helis like toys and don't think about safety.

I got an idea on why my ammeter isn't working right before I left for work, so I won't be able to see if I am right or not until later. If I am right it is a design error and should be easy to fix.

Nick
Old 04-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Aframomum

Steve,

Glad to hear that with all the issues you had you were able to bring your bird home in one piece.

Nick's got some good advice - the machining process of the metal parts can leave oily residue on the threads which will prevent the loctite from drying. Of course this prevents the loctite from actually doing what its supposed to do - hold the screw in place! Acetone, alcohol, any solvent really will help to remove this oily residue.

To be sure you may want to do this cleaning process on both spindle screws of the main grips, as well as the grip screws of the tail grips. One tip that I do on the really small screws (such as the tail grip screws) so that you don't get loctite in the bearings is to place a small amount of loctite in the bolt hole itself and then screw in the screw. Do this before you reinstall the bearings that way you get any excess loctite wiped away.

Before your next flight you may want to go over all of your -into metal screws to ensure they are still loc-tight. Pay particular attention to the head screws and the motor mount one's also.

jreue,

Good deal on the 450 Sport. I actually like it if there is no grease or loctite applied at the factory - that way it's easier to remove the screws. After the build I know for sure everything is greased properly and loctited the way I am comfortable with. That 4mm spindle is beafy for sure!

Nick,

Glad you were able to figure out some of the issues with your meter.

JPEE,

Yeah, she'll notice the duffle bag for sure!

I have been following the story of the woman in Florida, Maresa - not a good situation but nice to see everyone in the heli communtiy come together to help her.

Scary stuff to have a 450 spool up uncontrollably next store to you. [X(] Yes, saftey really needs to be on everyone's mind any time your heli is hooked up to a battery. Hope everything works out with your flying bud.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.