Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:28 PM
rotarydoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Hey guys,

I DID IT!!! LOL!!!

Well, I did get the B400 inverted..twice!! But, I only recovered once..LOL!!

Pulled the first one off, and then insead of quitting while I was ahead, I tried another, and got it inverted, but lost orientation when the tail went 90 to me...all I have been practicing is assuming that the heli would stay tail in...

It was a bit on the windy side...but I went for it anyways...I got video, but it's not too good, the sun in the backround really interfered with the video, but it's good enough to tell that I did it....and it has the crash too...LOL!!

Initial damage assesment doesn't look too bad....for as hard as it hit....canopy, flybar, main shaft and gear, feathering shaft, tailboom....I might even be able to reuse the blades...but it was worth it!!!

I also got really lucky...I need a bigger area...I was REALLY close to those trees in the first one when you see the video...TOO close!!!

I'll post pics and video ASAP...

I am SO HAPPY !!! Hey, it wasn't perfect, and sure needs more work, but I am still so happy I had the guts to just go for it!! LOL!

Glenn
Old 10-26-2008, 05:33 PM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: rotarydoc

Hey guys,

I DID IT!!! LOL!!!

Well, I did get the B400 inverted..twice!! But, I only recovered once..LOL!!

Pulled the first one off, and then insead of quitting while I was ahead, I tried another, and got it inverted, but lost orientation when the tail went 90 to me...all I have been practicing is assuming that the heli would stay tail in...

It was a bit on the windy side...but I went for it anyways...I got video, but it's not too good, the sun in the backround really interfered with the video, but it's good enough to tell that I did it....and it has the crash too...LOL!!

Initial damage assesment doesn't look too bad....for as hard as it hit....canopy, flybar, main shaft and gear, feathering shaft, tailboom....I might even be able to reuse the blades...but it was worth it!!!

I also got really lucky...I need a bigger area...I was REALLY close to those trees in the first one when you see the video...TOO close!!!

I'll post pics and video ASAP...

I am SO HAPPY !!! Hey, it wasn't perfect, and sure needs more work, but I am still so happy I had the guts to just go for it!! LOL!

Glenn
Hey Glenn good for you, you got out there and did. I dont have to tell you that it is part of the game, growth cost $$. Can't wait to see the post video. I just know you will do it both times NEXT time! !
Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys...

Here's the damage...not so bad, really. The servos, battery and gyro, ESC, all seem to be fine.

At least I'll have a project for the week, get ready to try again...lol!!

I'll get to work on the video next...

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17840.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1059500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95218.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1059501  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:39 PM
rotarydoc

JPEE,

Thanks! I am wondering if I can get away with the heli much lower next time...I am not even used to flying that high normally... It seemed to flip without losing much altitude.

It's going to take some more practice, (and crashes) I am sure!

At least I'm not trying to retrieve it from a tree!!

There were 3 things that bothered me as a worst case scenario...LOL

1. Heli comes back and hits me...

2. Heli comes back and hits Forester...

3. Heli gets stuck way up in the treetops...

LOL!!!

Glenn
Old 10-26-2008, 05:47 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

That was a cool helicopter.

Glenn,

Cool you went inverted! Did you try to hover it or flip back right away? I can't wait for the video. Least you still have the other B400.

Nick
Old 10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
rotarydoc

Hey JPEE,

In all my excitement, I almost overlooked that you got an MCX!! Congrats...they are really cool little helis, eh?

I love mine!

It's nice having the extra batteries too...

ENJOY!!!

Glenn
Old 10-26-2008, 05:55 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Thanks! Nope, once I got it inverted, I just wanted to get it back..it was way too close to some trees...I almost lost it in the woods.

I am wondering if I should try it at a much lower altitude next time...I am not comfortable flying that high to begin with...

Yeah, the video is OK, I'm not sure how it will come out on YouTube, the sun was behind the woods, and it's hard to see.

I will rebuild this B400, the damage that I see so far isn't bad at all, considering how hard it crashed.

I forgot to hit throttle hold on the crash, you can hear the motor still spinning at the end. Oh well.

I am just glad I "broke the ice" so to speak, and I think it will be easier next time. I won't be so nervous!

Glenn
Old 10-26-2008, 06:06 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Well, taking the video has paid off. After looking at it...I really rushed the second flip...I wasn't even tail in when I did it...so that is why I messed up...I have not been practicing inverted at 90 degree angles. At first, I thought the wind took it at an angle, but I wasn't even tail in when I began...

Live and learn.... I think I was so excited about doing the first one, I really rushed into the second one without really planning it out....bad idea...LOL!

I uploaded it...but it's still processing...I'll let you guys know...

Glenn
Old 10-26-2008, 06:11 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That is the great thing about video taping your flights. You can see what went wrong and where you need to improve. If I didn't tape my first inverted hover with the Gaui I would have never remembered how the flip went. Now I am slowing starting to see my flips while flying since I feel more comfortable doing them.

Nick
Old 10-26-2008, 06:24 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, for sure....the more I watch the video over and over, the more I see what I did wrong. It looks like the heli didn't lose much altitude in the second flip, so I could probably do them lower to the ground. I also lost it on the first one, but recovered before I hit the trees.

I would feel alot more comfortable trying them at about half that height. True, not as much room to recover, but I think I would have better control than way up high like I did this time.

It is very valuable to tape your flights, I agree 100%.

Glenn
Old 10-26-2008, 06:27 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

LOL, you can also hear the sickening THUD when it hits the ground...if the audio on YouTube works OK...and you can barely hear the main gear strip...it's a short loud squeel....lol!

Glenn
Old 10-26-2008, 06:31 PM
rotarydoc

JPEE,

LOL...I may need your extensive experience and backround on fixing Blade 400 crashes..!!

I have never even had the tailboom off of mine before! The rest I have done, the main shaft, gear, F.shaft...etc.

There is an idler pulley that needed replacing anyways...LOL!! Now I have an excuse to replace it..

Glenn
Old 10-26-2008, 06:36 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

I didn't come out too bad, you can at least tell that I got it inverted a couple of times.

The trees and sun combined made for a bad backdrop...

It's better (as always) in high quality if you watch it...

Enjoy!

Glenn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yatns9HqWpo

Old 10-26-2008, 06:38 PM
JPEE

Hey Glenn,

Tomorrow is my fly day. What you just mentioned about be excited or stressed I call it for me, yea now you have to remember the throttle "hold" toggle. I was shaking from adrenaline when I took 401 up at factory spec trying to, not crash, keep my thottle in the middle which I am not used to, keep my right finger on the throttle "hold" so I have dead chicken if I crash, and then just fly the SOB, yea right! Tomorrow will just be flying and getting used the stick and fast responses. When I try my flip I want a little more time at these new curves.

JPee

Just took picks of my Quark and getting ready to post. Was gonna ask $300.00 shipped with the extra batteries and see how it goes.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45128.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1059531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57725.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1059532  
Old 10-26-2008, 06:52 PM
rotarydoc

JPEE,

Yeah, advice well taken...I also am taking into account that I have only flown ONE battery pack in idle up prior to this attempt...so I'm pretty pleased with the results, even if I did do stupid things and crash.

I'll say one thing though...I found out my answer to my question....it is definately NOT like on the sim....the sim will give you the basics...but when you are out there with a real heli, and real elements like wind, sun, shakey hands, etc, it's a whole different ball game!!!

I will try again, but I think I also would do well to practice just flying more in idle up too...

Glenn
Old 10-26-2008, 06:53 PM
rotarydoc

JPEE,

Sorry to hear that you are selling the Quark...

Are you listing it on eBay?

Anyways, good luck with it, that sounds like a reasonable starting point on the price.

Glenn
Old 10-26-2008, 07:01 PM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: rotarydoc

JPEE,

Sorry to hear that you are selling the Quark...

Are you listing it on eBay?

Anyways, good luck with it, that sounds like a reasonable starting point on the price.

Glenn
I can only imgaine how different it was than the SIM.

Gonna try Craigs list for a pick up her in Cali first. Then this Forum's for sale sheet and Heli Freak too. I'll test the waters.

JPee OUT ..................to the BBQ hummmmmmmmmmmm
Old 10-26-2008, 07:04 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Yeah that sun and the trees did make it hard to see, but I could easily see the second one. Now you know what to expect and how the helicopter flips, so it should be better next time. It sounds like you have a very high headspeed.

Nick
Old 10-26-2008, 07:18 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, unfortunately, the field faces west...and the wind dies down most in the evenings, so it doesn't make for good video at all. And the trees are a bad backdrop, not only for video, but for flying in general.

I have a good idea now how it feels, so it will be easier next time around. At least I tried it!

The headspeed is pretty high, but I don't know what it actually is. The heli is setup pretty much to factory specs as it comes out of the box.

I think I need some more practice just flying in idle up...to get more used to the higher headspeed and response...I kinda rushed this whole inverted thing, but I'll never get anywhere if I don't take chances and learn from my mistakes...so it's all good!

You have to work tonight, or are you up for some G4 later on?

Oh...Rob explained more about his $120 (each) servos...when he turned the radio off, the servos went to fail safe...then he put the blades back when he put the holder on...and fried the servos because they were straining to maintain fail safe...

Glenn
Old 10-26-2008, 07:24 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I don't work until Wednesday. I have been on G4 almost all day. So when you guys start a session I will join.

Nick
Old 10-26-2008, 07:56 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I just checked, and I have everything for the rebuild "in stock", except the tailboom and canopy. I probably should get new blades too.

I am thinking about keeping the canopy, and taping it up with clear tape, and keeping the blades for my next attempt at inverted flight...lol!

I still have to eat, and call my dad in a while. But I'll be on G4 a bit later on.

I should probably start the rebuild, but I have all week. If I have really nice weather, and can get out of work at a decent time, I may fly the Gaui some this week.

Or, I could get the new B400 out and take it for a few flights...I'm just not too sure about the stock servos...

Glenn
Old 10-26-2008, 08:09 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Good to hear you have almost everything in stock.

It was too windy for the T-Rex here, so I had a short flight. It would maybe push the 600 around a little, but I don't have everything to fly it yet. But it should be good for the more windy days.

Nick
Old 10-26-2008, 08:15 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

damm 300 I would so buy that if I had the money
Old 10-26-2008, 08:26 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, that day at the field when Rob and the old timer were there, it was blowing at a steady 15 MPH...and it doesn't even phase the 600's...

Rob's 450 was getting a little blown around, but that is nothing to him at his level.

The 600 will be good in the wind.

Glenn
Old 10-26-2008, 08:30 PM
rotarydoc

Heli,

Yeah, that is a good price for an SRB...and a sweet little heli too!

They don't do well in wind...and certainly won't ever do any 3D...but when they are flown in very little wind, they are very sweet indeed!

Easily one of my favorite helicopters.

Glenn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.