Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:26 PM
JPEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

ORIGINAL: Aframomum

Hey JPEE,

Your grandson did a terrific job, that thing looked as stable as ever. I really do love your open spaces you have available out there. I bet he can't wait to take the Bixler up.

I saw a recent show on Discovery about secret spy aircraft and they had a bit on the SR-71 and the U2...believe it or not they mentioned the U2 was doing missions in Afganistan due to its reliability and more importantly, price per flight which seems to be considerably low. It is a shame that the costs of the SR71 eventually cost its end during its era.

Saw that heli video and it was a cool ''right place at the right time'' kind of thing.

I hit a snag on my Zero build...discovered my battery has one bad cell. I tried to slowly charge it but no avail so I ordered another from HK and will send this one back. Its one of their Nano-techs so I'm hoping this is a one-time fluke.

BTW, I put the PS project on the backburner for the time being as I'm not ready to purchase a charger for it and the present one has its own internal so I'll come to that at a later date. But thanks for all your help so far and getting me to the point I'm at now with it. I'm sure when I have my zero flying for awhile and no other projects going on I'll break out my soldering iron and get to work.

The rest of the build is going very smoothly. The parts fit together very nicely, no modification has been needed. One thing though, be careful how you handle the foam as it will indent rather easily if, for example, you hold the fuse firmly with one hand while repositioning the tight fitting cowl with the other hand. Saw this on mine and luckily my finger dents were at a place that is easily hidden by the canopy. But beware. One other thing for consideration...if you like your plane to have a nice 'new' glossy look then Testers makes a gloss spray that you can spray over your plane when done. It also helps to protect from that bubbling that happens to foam when left in the sun too long. The retracts are the best thing on the plane! They are simply amazing to see work. If you haven't hooked yours up to your receiver/ESC/batt yet give them a try as you won't be disappointed. I also hit the tiny metal worm gear in them with a bit of silicon spray as some guys on the forum mentioned it as they aren't lubed at all. You can see the worm gear when the gear is in the open position. FMS has done an amazing job with their warbirds.

Hope you are able to finish up with your other matters and get some much needed free time.

Mark
Hi Mark, thanks for the kind words on the grandson. Yes he is excited but he needs a bit more quad flying at the slower and more controlled speeds before the Bixler. We will be buddy boxing on that Bixler too! I almost for got, I ordered another Bixler for me yesterday, but gramps got the Bixler V2, it is a 1500mm over the V1 that is 1400mm and it is a bit longer and has flaps. I wont hook them up, they are only needed of your flying FPV and have a lot of weight to stop on landing, I just wanted bigger to see it so I can go higher and further.

Gotcha on the PS's.... Look below, Jason being a Geek for a living did a update for one of his clients and brought home old units and tore out 30 PS for us to make more PS for ourselves and sell some at the field once they are soldered and set up.

WOW..... I cannot thank you enough for the tips on our FMS planes, that totally shocked me[X(] that they are that soft and can crush/dent so easy. Yes I too am excited to see the retracts work and the staging of the doors and the gear all working in harmony.

Some where about 10-12 years old we lived 4000 ft from the Lockeed Airport Runway. In fact it paralleled our street. We would hear the U2s spool up and go down the runway, our house would shake and you'd see him come up off the ground and and then he'd pull back the stick (no joke) and go straight up until he vanished. I also remember we would ride our bikes over by the fence line waiting for one to take off and there were these Government signs saying NO PICTURE TAKING and punishable yadda yadda yadda can you say; GETMO!

Sorry, godda run, I'll have to finish up later.......... take care

Came back and still can't upload a photo now for two days so I'll close this saga and that thank you once again for the tips on the FMS!

JPEE

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40296.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1885247  
Old 05-27-2013, 05:25 PM
evdreamer

Scott,

That was a cool video.

John,

That is cool your grandson picked up flying your quad so quickly.

I found some software that makes it easier to create GUI's. I can just drag and drop components where I want them. Then I can just focus on the program under the GUI. Here is my updated program. It looks a little more professional than my first attempt. I finally got a portion of it working that I wanted for a long time. I can create a test portfolio and graphically see how it does over time and how it compares to other funds.

Nick

Name:	Ay75740.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1886280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94866.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1886281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63044.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1886282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19355.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1886283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71554.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1886284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67590.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1886285  
Old 05-27-2013, 05:47 PM
JPEE

Hey Nick, that's good news. I'll bet your back at home right now loading the pictures right "you forgot" just messing with you a little bit. Congrats and I cannot wait to see your working program. No flying still working on house two. We turn it over this coming Sunday finally to our new then my/our lives will come back to normal. Hope your well and enjoy summer break.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:22 PM
JPEE

Nick,
Well done my friend! That looks just like my Morgan Stanley page. Compared to what you first posted a while back this is a real testament to your improving skill level and abilities. Bravo my friend!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:55 AM
evdreamer

John,

Thanks. RCU wasn't allowing me to post the pics of my program for a long time. I am enjoying my break. It is nice not stressing over exams and finals. Hopefully I will have a little more free time next semester since I won't be taking any computer classes. I have been getting severe thunderstorms the past few days, so I won't be able to fly for awhile. Good luck with the second house.

Nick
Old 05-30-2013, 07:41 AM
JPEE

Hello Nick,

I was the same way unable to post a picture of the computer server power supplies for Mark. I think I waited a total of three days before our see you was back up again for photographs. It is very hot here, It's going to be over 100 on Saturday and it is been in the 90s yesterday and today. I am confident my Bixler version two has arrived But I have just not had time to pick it up.

Great news that next semester will be easier for you and I hope you enjoy your summer off, Though I'm sorry that you have all the storms and the poor weather.

Sorry this message has numerous errors it's difficult on my iPhone as I can't see the whole screen, it doesn't reduce the text so I can read it and follow it, take care talk to you soon thanks for the kind wishes on house to the plumber was here yesterday for 6 1/2 hours yikes
Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hey guys,

Nick, sorry to hear about the storms but could you please send some over to my house as my grass is all but dead from the non stop heat and sun. [] Seriously though, we also are having the summer blahs with continuous days of cloudless sun filled skies. And to think this is just June 1.

I see the RCU gremlins have been affecting everyone, your pictures look great. Glad you were able to finally get them up. Enjoy your summer and hope you get some time soon to fly...don't forget about that rain for me and JPEE.

JPEE,

How is your house #2 coming along? This Sunday and your done right?

Thanks for the pictures of the PS...how long did you try getting them loaded?

I am almost done with the Zero and am hoping for a maiden on Monday. I'll see if I can get some pictures loaded...

As a side...JPEE, I decided to follow suit and try out these new fangled quad things. Got myself [link=http://www.xheli.com/56h-x1-ufo.html]This[/link] little one from Xheli since I just wanted to try one out and the youtube reviews seemed okay. Well, got it yesterday and have been having a great time with it. It's so stable inside that I can let my son handle the controls for a bit - well, just the throttle and rudder! I did take it outside and it handled the wind nicely. It does take some getting used to, I still get confused with the front/back orientations. But it is a lot of fun.

BTW JPEE, your typing is much better then I would do if I tried from my phone.

Take care,

Mark

Hoping for some rain relief...
Old 06-01-2013, 05:24 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Alibabah please give rain to Mark!

Yes Mark it took me three days or so before I could get the pictures to load. I kept thinking it was something at my end. I kept reducing the picture sizes but to no avail. Then I would hit once a day for a few days until I got them in.

On the PS, They will be one of the last think I get to before we go back to Arizona at the end of summer, like Nov. I want to take an extra 24vt system with to AZ "just in case"

Boy oh boy I can't wait to see that puppy in the air. As I said, we turn over the keys tomorrow Sunday but they cannot start moving boxes in until June 15 (insurance reasons). That gives them two weeks FREE rent. Then about Wednesday of next week the final little bit of pick up work (broken sprinkler, furnace filter, when we pulled the frig today I notice the wall outlet was cracked and broken) little stuff like that.

HOLY COW my boy is QUADING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I too just bought one of those (diff brand) for the grandson. While it flies, it is pretty "twitchy" and even I have a heck of time trying to fly iy. I should-dah bought a brand name[] You will love the simplicity of it............. so stable, kinda makes ya hate heli's lol.

Take care
Old 06-05-2013, 01:16 PM
evdreamer

Guys,

The guy who got all the heli pilots to show up at the heli show a little while ago sent me pictures of the event. Here are some pics of me flying.

Name:	Db84213.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1889075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84069.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1889076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55250.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1889077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89862.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1889078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94592.jpg
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1889079  
Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 PM
JPEE

Hey Nick, GREAT photos!

WOW this is first time I have seen what you look like, a striking young man you are. The field looks beautiful and so lush and green. Is that a real hanger in the background?

I am glad you had a great time and people enjoy seeing you fly, I see you they got a pic while your were inverted...........coolieo!

Smiles JPEE
Old 06-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Aframomum

It looks like I really need to be careful what I ask for...

Thank you Tropical Storm Andrea! Did we get rain, rain, and more rain - not to mention lots of wind too. Wow, and this is only the very beginning of June.

Nick,

I feel like we finally got to meet you. Those were some good pictures both of you and your Whiplash, now got a face to match all the posts.

Guys,

Finally got to maiden my Zero just as Andrea was arriving...it was a great success but I have not been this nervous doing a maiden in a while. Got a few before pics and will try some aerial shots later on.

JPEE,

Thanks for the best wishes on the storm...it literally zoomed through in just a day so now its on its way up north and quickly losing strength. At least the yard is nice and watered.

Mark

Name:	Qo40563.jpg
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	1889438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47851.jpg
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1889439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16170.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1889440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55654.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1889441  
Old 06-06-2013, 05:19 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

You just won picture of the day! I am so glad to hear that your maiden flight of the zero was uneventful other than tons of fun!

You just won again for having the best luck in that, that storm came through your area and you had no damage or real problems.

Take care......
Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Aframomum

Thanks JPEE.

Nick,

I noticed your a thumber and use a neckstrap...what kind of disease do you have?

I've read hot debates over on HF about the use of neckstraps and if your a thumber or a pincher, me personally am a pincher and have to use a neckstrap. I forgot it once and had the worst time as I felt I was going to drop the tx and crash the heli at the same time.

Mark
Old 06-09-2013, 06:30 PM
evdreamer

John,

Yeah, that is a real hanger. It extends pretty far in the background. Then there is another hanger off to the left.

Mark,

That is cool that you got to maiden your Zero.

I have tried pinching on the simulator, but it was too hard for me to roll the sticks to do piro flipping moves. My thumbs used to slip off the gimbles when I had the DX7. The gimbles are pretty sharp on my Aurora 9 and I haven't had a problem with that.

I downloaded a library to make it easier to create graphs on my program. I also found a cool site that has stock charts and stock indicators. www.stockcharts.com Now I can make better informed decisions on when to buy and sell my investments. Before I always ended up buying at the peaks. I recreated some of the indicators for my program that don't involve the highs/lows/opens of the prices, since that would be a lot of work for me to get that data. This has been a fun project for me to help pass the time during my summer break.

Nick

Name:	Ki18384.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1890380  
Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM
JPEE

Hello Nick,

Your new screen looks awesome. I took your link at the Pro's pages and your page looks every bit as good as "their's". As you said, if you don't need some of the information why muddy the waters navigating through it would be a just a waste of time.

Thanks for the update on the Hangers, there being two and all. A nice place to fly if you can get those real Heli's to stay out of your way lol. No RC news for me yet! This is to say this is my first day not having to go to the rent house, so I laid about the house taking it easy today. Tomorrow is supposed to be a fair day so perhaps I'll take the something out and fly.................ah the life of leisure!

Take care
Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 AM
rotarydoc

Hey guys!

I finally got some idle time here at work to drop in...

JPEE,

Glad to see the grandson adopting the R/C hobby so early on! I'm sure it's amazing to see, and have him so interested at that age

Mark,

The Zero looks great, looks like you took your time, and got it right!

We also got a good soaking (still recovering, flooded streets, etc) from Andrea as well, thing sure are nice and green around here...including the grass I have to cut soon..

Nick,

Congrats on the new Yaris, I know it's got to be a huge improvement on the Impala! Sounds like you are getting more familiar with it now that you've had some time with it...I would imagine it's a whole lot easier to park as well

Nice to see the pics of you flying, they turned out great, always nice to have an image of you to go with your posts

Well guys, got bad news, and good too...

The bad news is that I sold the 500 about a month ago, on eBay. Got a decent amount for it, I thought ($300), but I will miss it in some ways, something about having that much time and money involved...lol...

The good news is that I broke out the MCPX the other day, and charged up the batteries...but, they were all toast, the first two wouldn't even lift off the ground, got a short hover in on one of them...and there was a little spark there....

So, I went ahead and got some of the Turnigy Nano batteries coming for it this week. That, and a spare long tailboom, might help a little with the tail blow out, hoping anyways. Not that I really had a huge issue before...

I made the mistake of dropping by the LHS last week as well... You know you've been out of the hobby for awhile when you have not seen a single Blade helicopter that you recognize on the shelf (seriously!)!!

I have not read a single RC Heli, or a single web article, or blog, or anything in the last year or more...it's almost like starting over!

Still debating on the 450 Pro. Main reason is, one of those new Blades caught my eye, the 130X....been researching a bit, and it seems to be a love/hate thing with most articles I have read...seems when it flies right, it's a dream to fly (for it's size), but it seems to have some inherent issues,

(some vibes on spool up, bent tailshafts out of the box, etc.), but most seem to be able to be worked out.

So, I don't know what's next, but for now, the batteries should get me started on the MCPX, and get the rust knocked off my flying skills (hopefully, I was a mess on Phoenix, which I also have not touched in a year or more...tons of updates!).

We'll see from there how it goes....

Well, it was nice checking in, and hopefully, that little spark will ignite a fire...

Talk to you guys soon...

Glenn
Old 06-11-2013, 10:53 AM
JPEE

Hello Glenn,

Great to hear your voice! I have a cyber friend I have know very well in NY close to you. He has two 130s that he practices all of this 700e 700N stunts with. He started with a 550 and moved up but he maintains those 130s. Yes they do have issues! If you like, I can put you in contact with him and he can give you a real skinny on their issues, let me know.

Mark,

OMG you were not exaggerating one bit when you said your Zero was soft. I made a plane stand today and tested the fuse and even the depression of a fingernail leaves a print. This is a little mock up I made that will "I think" allow me to make the build. I did a dry run with a wing in place and everything had room, so we shall see. I hope to take the tail for a color match this week too!

Also today I am taking off my Airtronics receiver from my 450 Quad and replacing it with a ICKY Spectrum RX []. This is the only way I can buddy box with my GS (grandson) so he can get a little more braver and for him no worry he might not be able to hand over the radio in a "save" circumstance. With a bit more 450 Quad experience I want to let him try to take over if even for a few seconds his Bixler! I recently put his name on his plane in dayglo orange so he see it from the ground. Now that school is out tomorrow for him we will have much more time to work together.

JPEE

Name:	Nl28574.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1890947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56665.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1890948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94663.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1890949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53627.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1890950  
Old 06-12-2013, 07:29 AM
rotarydoc

Hey JPEE,

Well, it looks like I'm back in the game....went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 130 last night...

Actually got it from Amazon, which didn't have the very best price, but they have an excellent return policy, just in case I get a real lemon out of the box [X(]

Been reading up on Helifreak, and it looks like there are quite a few issues, almost all regarding the tail vibrations, gears, etc. In addition, there are quite a few mods that people have done to fix a lot of it. Hopefully, I'll get a decent one to start off with, and can work from there.

Seems to be a high frustration level with the issues, but at the same time, it apparently is a very rewarding heli to fly once it is flying right.

No need to contact your friend just yet, I'll see how things go when I get it (hopefully Friday).

Right now though, bracing for some possible very serious weather coming this way, the are predicting a huge front of severe storms, with high winds, even the possibility of some tornados which is now developing in the Ohio area, and headed west...[X(] Hopefully, it will miss us, and won't interfere with the 130 shipping

Should have my 5 Turnigy Nano's coming for the MCPX as well.

I figure that'll be my toss around heli...and the 130 I'll treat more like a 450 or so, doing my best to avoid crashes. Some of those poor guys on Helifreak are so happy when their 130's are flying well, they are afraid to crash at any cost!!

Well, I'll keep you guys updated...nice to be back!

Glenn
Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Got a few more flights in on the Zero and it is a fantastic plane to see in the air, esp with the retracts up...wow!

But it really is a bear on the ground, looks like I have some more practice to do keeping the tail down on landings and takeoffs need some significant rudder on take off, but I notice using 15 degree flaps helps alot. The foam is durable, already had a couple nose overs and a run-in with a drainage ditch and not a whole lot of damage, just a bit of touch up paint was all.

JPEE,

Can't wait to see your progress on your Dallas Darling...your stand looks great btw!

I'm sure the 'icky' Spektrum receiver will do you and your GS just fine for the buddy box application. Don't forget I have all Spectrum stuff! The Bixler looks good and I bet he can't wait to get a crack at that.

Did you get a chance to get out and enjoy that 'life of leisure'?

Glenn,

Welcome back!

Kinda weird being out for just a short while and seeing a whole different set of heli's on the shelves...they do move fast in developing new things. Congrats on the new 130X...I heard the same as you with the love/hate that many have with it. But most do agree once its dialed in its a great flier. Amazon is has always been reliable with shipping for my orders and I'm sure you'll have the same.

Did you see they finally came out with a brushless mcpx - on both the main and tail rotors? Took them long enough I think! I stayed with my original version as I am happy with what it is capable of. On the issue of batteries...at least you remembered where yours were at, I wanted to fly mine last week and for the life of me cannot remember where I put them. So looks like I'll be putting in a order for some more. Might try the Turnigy's like you.

Hope you make out with the approaching storms. And only a week after Andrea really doesn't give you guys much time to dry out.
Hopefully it passes you with just a sprinkle.

Sorry you had to sell your 500. I think though that the ESP had its time and Align did make all the needed changes when they finally came out with the EFL...the increase in headspeed made it much more responsive and faster, decrease the gearing on the tail (so it wouldn't explode), plus the added touches of metal everywhere and the carbon fiber control rod for the tail, and that wrap around canopy...I would say they got it right this time. So when your ready again I think you will be in for a pleasant surprise.

Then of course there is the Gobby 500 to consider...

Mark

Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 AM
JPEE

Hello boys,

Glenn, nice to hear from you. I think you made a very prudent move getting the 130 from Amazon for stated reasons. I hope yours will tip top upon arrival. The other day I was knocking around my heli stuff and I still have my Blade 400, 2 ea. CX2s, MCX, 450 Pro, 450 Pro NIB, my trusty 500, and of course my 700e, 450&550 Quad and Hexa, a NIB Bixler V2 1500mm, and let us not forget my newest starting build P-51. I submit the following question; Where the heck did all this stuff come from? If you ever want a 450 Pro let me know. Enjoy your new heli and get some fresh packs and you will be downtown!

Mark,
So you old and feeble and can't FIND your old packs??? that should be me talking lol. Great news to hear of more about more Zero flights. Looks like your pre-purchasing that HD touch up was a swell idea. Did you get those little small bottles color sample or did you get pints/quarts? I watched half of Banana Hobbies build to where you hook up the wing harness. I was getting groggy so I shut it down that day. Wife just came back from a three day wine tasting tour up north and yesterday's grand sons graduation and then Fathers Day Sunday, oops barber is ready for me bye.
Back! And two house guests over the weekend Friday and sat so perhaps next week I'll finish my 51. I can't wait to see the retracts work as you said.

Ok guys, staying for the adventures of us 4 Musketeers....
Old 06-13-2013, 11:38 AM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Mark,

I had to dig out all my old heli stuff from boxes in the spare room...I did find all my batteries, and a whole lot more, lots of which I forgot I had, so don't feel bad! Got everything organized now, so I should be able to find stuff now.

Glad to hear the Zero is looking good in the air, and I'm sure the ground stuff and take offs and landings will get better with practice.

We are halfway through that monster line of storms, the first batch wasn't bad, the next one looks a bit worse...then we are in the clear through the weekend. Problem is, the horse track
(where I like to fly) is in a very low lying area, so it'll be drenched but good, even through the weekend, I think. Hopefully, I can find another field, I still have the Moose Lodge, although the building itself has been leveled, the field is still there, unattended, so some high grass....which can be a good thing on the MCPX/130x...

Yes, I definitely have seen the MCPX BL, in fact, it was a very hard decision between that and the 130x....the MCPX will be much more crash resilient, however, I just can't picture how hyper that thing must be with 2x-3x the power of the normal MCPX (they say it has more power-to-weight than the 130x). That, and it's still an MCPX. With it's more or less toy-like flight characteristics, compared to the "bigger heli" effect of the 130x. Considering that like you, I'm pretty happy with my MCPX V1, I think the 130x will be a more unique experience for me.

JPEE,

Cool that you still have all your helis and what not...I'm down to the one older 450 Pro, the MCPX, now the 130x, and let's not forget the QUARK...your favorite!

I have decided to take a much different approach this time around, much more laid back, much more relaxed. I'll fly when I feel like it, if the weather is good, and if a heli breaks, and I need parts, it'll just have to wait. No more flying every night, every weekend, every chance, and no more driving around for miles looking for a place to fly, if my 3-4 small fields are not available, oh well!

I also learned the hard way last time to not concentrate on any one thing, I got so hung up on flying the MCPX inverted last time, I literally (really!) could not fly upright...I spent pack after pack flying inverted with the MCPX...I'll take Rob's advice, and do about a 80/20 split, 80% upright, and 20% or so inverted.

The 130x is supposed to be here today, a day early! Hope so, we'll see what I get when it gets here. I already picked up a few items at the LHS, I got things I'm pretty sure I'll need, and that they only had one of...which is most of the parts. Does not look good for a prolific parts supply from my LHS, that's for sure.

Got all my batteries for the MCPX charged, and ready to go...they should be a nice little boost for it, as I was only flying the stock 200 Mah, 20C Eflite ones before (these are 300 Mah, 30C).

Also, I don't want to get caught up in the frustration levels like I had with the Blade 400 there towards me parting with it, I was at my wits end with it, and spent $$$$$ trying to fix the vibrations in that thing!

So, off to a fresh start, new outlook, more laid back this time around...let's see how it goes!

I'm not even 100% sure I'm keeping my existing 450 Pro just yet (depends on how this 130x goes), but thanks anyways on the offer...

Glenn
Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 PM
JPEE

Hello Glenn,

I think you're right on the money with your new philosophy regarding flying. I don't differ much from you myself in that regard. I have not flown with the guys in probably 30 days. The last time I flew with the guys was the maiden for my grandsons Bixler. I look at all of the stuff I named sitting here in the garage and on the walls and I wonder why I even have it because I just don't have the drive to fly now a days. Sometimes I think it was the conquest, that made me work so hard and finally in the end to master about 50% flying inverted, rainbows, shoot outs, from and back flips and corkscrew rolls. I can clearly recall that once I did that (inverted flight) that for me was a landmark In my flying ability and was like the race was over for me. I certainly hope my new be 51 a scale plane and flying slow and easy and going for the "look" and flying scale will bring me some more pleasure in hobby. I can also recall the last time I flew the 700, three packs I was so little loss for my thumbs and skill I flew very slow very upright and very careful laughing out loud. On the third pack I did do some loops in a little inverted but just kind a lost my taste for chocolate so to speak, you know what I mean?
Okay that's enough complaining about the Hobby, it's the guys I'm really here for, like you, Nick and Mark. When you think about it we have a lot of years on the belt together on this Forum.
OMG I just thought of a better analogy, "now that we've all broken the sound barrier" so to speak what's left! Oh boy I really like that one :-)
Old 06-14-2013, 11:10 AM
rotarydoc

Hey JPEE,

Well said, and I think we are both on the same track...

Got the 130X last night, it actually did arrive a day early, so that was nice, get a little head start for the weekend.

Looked it over, and no obvious problems, so I did some of the initial checks on the stickies in the Helifreak forum, haven't found some of the ones they point out.

However, (and no big surprise) it does have the dreaded tail resonance/vibes that everyone seems to have at first. I haven't looked too far into it yet, although I did spend some of my lunch hour trying little pieces of tape on each blade.

It's obviously an imbalance problem, but these blades are so tiny, it's very difficult to balance them. I tried on a gram scale...but no luck, they are identical @ .03 grams. So, I may keep at it a bit more, or....I may just let it go. The vibes happen only on spool up; they go away at higher (flight) speeds. (unlike the B400 issue, which WAS at flight speeds)

Horizon claims it's normal, and don't worry about it, just get through the vibe stage quickly on spool up. Then, there are the HF guys, who insist that there is no room for any vibrations, at any time....

I do know from my automotive experience, that almost anything that rotates at speed, will have a "critical RPM" so to speak, where the vibration will be at it's max...like for example, I drove a 2013 Mazda 3 to training class in NJ a while back...and it had a very noticeable wheel tire vibration at about 53 MPH, give or take a MPH...but at 65-70 MPH it was smooth as glass....

My thinking now is, maybe if I tinker with it, I could get the spool up vibes out...but that MAY make it vibrate at higher (flight) speeds...which would be much worse...so maybe living with, and just flowing through the vibration/resonance at lower speeds might be just fine....

Interesting article on vibrations at critical speeds I found on the web;

http://www.engineersedge.com/bearing...ing-bodies.htm

So, that's where I'm at. Plan on spooling it up for a real test flight/hover soon though...not going to beat my head against the wall this early...lol...

I'll keep you guys posted...

Glenn
Old 06-15-2013, 03:14 PM
JPEE

Hello Glenn,

I am glad you saw early on that you were slipping back into the OUR left handed analness or worrying about that minimal vibration ain't worth it. This time around it is fun fun fun without the stress. In the words of Jeff, fly it like ya stole it! Being the top notch mechanic you are, I understand that it goes against your nature. Just pretend it is a Ford or Chevy lol.

I hope you continue to fare through the storms ok.

JPEE
Old 06-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Aframomum

Hi Gents,

And Happy Father's Day to you John!

Had the chance to get out this morning with my son and do some flying with the 500...he had a blast. Dad too, as I felt really good and did some great looking large loops and Cuban 8's, a bit of practice on remembering inverted orientations , a couple of rainbows, and began trying to do a funnel attempt (it really was just a large continous circle that I am doing right now, have to do some more sim practice for the next steps). We also shot off one of his rockets too. All in all it was a good morning out, and before the heat really kicked in!

Glenn,

Congrats on your new 130X! Have you had the chance to take her out yet? I wouldn't worry about anything until you get her airborne and see how she reacts...may just surprise you. Is your front yard large enough for it? I know with my mcpx I can go practice in the front yard if in a real bind. Might save you a trip in the future of searching for flying spots - I know that feeling all too well.

Hope you get some sunshine soon, I know the clouds are nice in cooling things down but its nice to see the sun from time to time.

I've officially ridden off my mcpx batts as MIA...as I looked for them this weekend with no luck. I did order a few of the 300 nanotech's for it so they should be here sometime this week. I noticed if I use the 2 day shipping option (from the US warehouse) HK will usually have my parts within that time frame...which is quite a nice surprise. Hope I didn't just jinx myself...

Had an oopsie moment with my Zero on Saturday...it was nicely clouded over (and cool, but windy) so I decided to take her out and really open her up with the great weather we were having. Full throttle passes and climb-outs and she performed beautifully. Take her straight into the clouds and then drop her for a straffing run - awesome. But then my landing, of course, my landing...was less then stellar, in fact really sucked. I actually came in with half flaps with almost no throttle, and she was literally floating about 15 ft up when I decided hey, how about no flaps (yeah, wise choice ) and she did the stall, dropped the right wing, and nosed in. Aaarrgh!
But, this foam is more solid then I first gave it credit for. Or I finally learned how to crash with minimal damage. Broken prop (expected), an abrasive rash on the underside of both wings, and one retract out of orientation (as one gets held up in the wheel well after retracting). But other then that no major damage. Whew!

Almost thinking with the grass as high as it is I might as well just belly land her...probably be less traumatic! Well, maybe not.

Take care everyone!

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.