Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 05:14 PM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

That is good you are enjoying your RC car.

John,

It was cool seeing all the trees in the videos.

That model train was pretty cool in the first video. My dad and I had a model train set.

I have been on a vegan diet for a few weeks now. I used to have high blood pressure and now I have a healthy blood pressure. I have been drinking almond milk for calcium and found some seeds with high concentrations of protein that I like. Almost everything I ate before had meat or dairy products, so I have been trying a few recipes at a time to find stuff I like.

I go back to school on Monday. I read the syllabus for my power electronics course and it covers a lot of topics I wanted to learn and find fascinating.

Nick
Old 08-22-2014, 01:14 PM
JPEE

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the kind words on the videos.

I hope you do well giving and presenting your syllabus in class. It always makes it more enjoyable when you like what you are doing rather than simply meeting the Prof's assignments.

Vegan, I am astonished that a man at your young age had such issues. It appears the lifestyle change is proving to be a good for you. You have a long life ahead and there is no good reason to just watch your own health decline and dismiss it. You took the action for which I am proud of you.

I haven't been flying but I did go out and make aerial videos of a friends house. In the next few days I am going to pull off the gimbal and use (2) 4000 4S packs and see what happens. Getting 5-6 minutes lets make a good video but it is such a short window I am always stressed about my battery time and that interferes with my ability to focus on the video body and content and angle for my shots. This was two flights, one with photos snapping every 5 sec and the second was video in which I pulled "frames out" for some stills he liked.

Take care...................

Mark, how is your hand?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	G0011248.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	4.89 MB
ID:	2024829   Click image for larger version

Name:	G0011218.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	4.21 MB
ID:	2024830   Click image for larger version

Name:	G0011235.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	4.71 MB
ID:	2024831  
Old 08-24-2014, 01:20 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi guys,

Nick,

Hope you had an enjoyable summer vacation but its that time again. However, I bet your looking forward to school starting again...I forgot but you must be really close to finishing, this year right?

My son started school this past Monday (kindergarten) and has been enjoying it. I think he was getting a bit bored the last week of summer vacation, and his parents are very happy he's back in class.

Interesting news on the vegan diet. My friend and coworker for the past few years is a vegaterian (except he eats fish) for his religion and he is perfectly at home with no meat. Actually Florida has a huge diversity of ethnicities, many of which are Indian (the country and not Native Americans) and many of them are lifetime veg. due to their religion (Hindi). I find it amazing to meet someone who has never in their life eaten meat. But their style of cooking (spice intensive) it is easy to live on vegatables and not miss meat.

Enjoy your first day back tomorrow!

JPEE,

My first thought with your videos (and as Nick said) - look at all the trees! How nice to see a place still exists that is lush with foliage. With todays development its always the same...totally clear the land before putting up the homes, then insert a few trees here and there and call it a day.

Like the outside train. I also had a train set when I was younger (HO) and set up a smaller set (N) before George was born. Actually have it in storage until he gets older and hope we can build something when that time comes.

I saw in the video you are very comfortable with your hex as you had lots of trees to fly around and did so with ease. I would have been trembling! I saw your gimble in action a few times as you adjusted the camera angle in flight, pretty slick there mister. How many times in the past have we tried putting camera on planes and helis to get mediocre video and now look at what you are producing - crystal clear and rock steady video that you can pan around in flight. Truely amazing. I'm going to ask - have you been considering FPV as the next step?

The pictures were really clear. Is that your new truck (white Chevy) in the second photo? I can understand your concern on battery life - but doesn't your hex have an automated return to home when a low voltage level is reached? I can't remember if you mentioned it some time ago. Older age and worsening memory for me..

The cuts on my fingers have all healed so no more worry about infection - but all the tissue underneath is very tender still and very sensitive. Feels like when your leg falls asleep and you have all those pin-like sensations when you try to move it, just not as intense. I started wearing the finger brace half a day (4 weeks have passed) and try to get a bit of movement out of the finger while I'm at work.

I also have not flown anything this past month (weather mostly - too hot) but am planning to take the Zero and jet out tomorrow morning and shoot off a few rockets while my wife is at work. So currently have batteries charging.

Take care everyone and have a good week (and first day at school),

Mark
Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 AM
JPEE

Hello Nick and Mark,

Nick, I ask the same question, are you close to getting your BS?

Here is a video my grandson Joe took at the recent air show. Yes he held the phone the wrong way, yes the pic's are a bit grainnie but you can still make out stuff. He saw the Red Bull Heli fly inverted!
Yesterday I did some R&D on my Hexa in an effort to increase its flight time up from the 5-6 minutes I get now. I tried 2 ea 4S 4000 mAh 40-50c packs and got 6.5 min. The ESC's were really warm as were the motors. That was quite a load. I had taken off the gimbal and camera "just in case". Then I tried one pack and put a "logger" onboard and got 3.5 min until the red caution light flickered on board from the NAZA controller. I over flew the pack until I had 5 min and she sunk to the ground slowly while I was wide open. Now this pack has not more than 8-10 charges on it so I feel overall it is pretty good, but I guess I could be wrong?? I was flying 3S 5000's before and was getting the same 4-5-6 min with 10" props but everything was getting "quite" warm especially with the outside ambient temps. So I went to 4S to draw less and amps and took my props down to 9" to reduce load as well. Looks like I have reached that threshold of weight vs flight time with the two packs. Oh to be clear............ I few the snot out her on each flight wide open best as I could over our home street here which I do not do with the camera on board but................. under load and hovering really works this puppy too, so in the end I feel they stats are the same. The logger said My largest amp draw was 55.7 amps and that was no doubt on my "shoot outs" straight up until I could barely see the Hexa. BTW I ordered two sets of electric retracts for both my 450 Quad and Hexa so I can camera straight down and not see the landing gear like Google Earth lol. OOPS, yes the Hexa has the low batt return but that spooks me to use and here's why. If I throw the switch for "fail safe" or I run the battery down to low, the copter will climb 30' straight up then circle for a moment to get its bearings. Once that is accomplished she will come home and land and shut down. However, if there is anything like a tree or something it is path it cannot see it, or if I ma in a tight canyon as it is finding is way it might hit or rub the walls.

Top answer your question Mark, Jason has all of FPV good stuff but mostly for his big FPV camera ship which is a huge glider, I haven't gone that way because I wanted to see if I could get more flight time, now I know I can't. the other thing for me buy getting the retracts will be the copters will take less room to try and carry in my RZR in AZ. I want to be able to take stills and video of canyons and old buildings. I am a bit afraid to FPV there for moment because if I got disoriented I would not be able to look up and see or find it in the sky and I fear hitting a cliff or something. I do want FPV but I have to justify it because a 4-6 minute flight isn't very long and the I would have to go out and film 2 min to leave me 2 min to come home? I have been doing pretty good with just free flight, so for now I'll try that this year in AZ. A PS: to this is, the road dust is terrible when in the RZR so packing the Quad or Hexa has to be compact and air/dust tight like in a ? gallon Hefty Bag while in transit!

Glad to hear your hand is coming along, far too slow I'll bet. Yes the trees are abundant in Oregon, logging is dying up there. Those monster logging trucks you see on TV used to be on every road, this trip we saw 5-6 at best. The lumber mills are closed, the states economy is in the toilet too..........big time. You can buy two house away from my friends B...eautiful home which is on acre................... a three bedrm, 1.5 bath with attached two car garage and and RV shed all clad in T1-11 ply with metal roofs for 50K on a acre. The house after that one is a NICE 3+2 2000 sqft with a huge 2-RV tall garage for 250K again on a acre. There no work in the state but California's flock there to retire with a fixed and stable income. You must just be inching for the day you and George dig out that train set..... what day that will be. I too have my HO train, transformer and a box of track which I bring our at Christmas to go around our tree and all of the gifts. Although the grand children are now 9 and 13 so the thrill is pretty much gone for them :-( Yes that was my white Chevy in the video and my buddies was the Silver one the RV car port. I just got my "topper, cap, camper shell" call it what you will mounted Friday. To me it really finished off the truck. The front window in the shell releases and pops out for washing as well as giving you access to the trucks rear window for washing too. I had go back and PhotoShop out my lisence plate, a guy has to be careful

Hope your fly days was good one!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXUf2cCOxxY

Name:	sku_107314_1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2025787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2505.JPG
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	2025800   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2506.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	2025801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2507.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	2025802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2511.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	2025803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2506black out.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	2025807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2507black out.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	2025808  

Last edited by JPEE; 08-25-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 AM
evdreamer

John,

My dad has high blood pressure and high cholesterol, so I think I inherited some of that. He has to take a lot of pills and I would prefer not to end up like that. It is easier for me to make healthy lifestyle choices when I am young than when I get older.

That Red Bull heli was cool.

Mark,

I had a good summer. It just went by to fast.

I am really enjoying my power systems class. I will learn how to analyze power converters which I have wanted to learn for a long time. I will learn about AM, FM, and some other electronic comms in one class and Digital Signal Processing in another. I like having Tues and Thurs off from school. It is kind of like a mini summer break. This is my 8th semester at school. I have two more to go, so I will graduate in Dec 2015.

That is good your hand is healing.

Nick
Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 PM
JPEE

Originally Posted by evdreamer
John,

My dad has high blood pressure and high cholesterol, so I think I inherited some of that. He has to take a lot of pills and I would prefer not to end up like that. It is easier for me to make healthy lifestyle choices when I am young than when I get older
I think you are very wise to have thought this over and take action now considering your family history.. Well done!

That Red Bull heli was cool.
I thought he did pretty good for a 13 year old with his phone camera
Mark,

I had a good summer. It just went by to fast.

I am really enjoying my power systems class. I will learn how to analyze power converters which I have wanted to learn for a long time. I will learn about AM, FM, and some other electronic comms in one class and Digital Signal Processing in another. I like having Tues and Thurs off from school. It is kind of like a mini summer break. This is my 8th semester at school. I have two more to go, so I will graduate in Dec 2015.

That is good your hand is healing.
​Take care Nick...........
Old 08-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Nick,

1 year to go - it'll go fast and at this point you are getting to the enjoyable classes as you are finding out. Your powersystems class sounds interesting - looks like this will be a fun semester for you plus having 2 days off each week gives you a bit of a break.

JPEE,

That truck is a monster!! Wow, I don't think you'll have any problems towing anything and no more repairs to worry about for a few years. I believe you had some expensive ones this past year with the Ford. Enjoy the new Chevy. It sure has a lot of room with that topper on and good job with the license photo-out.

Joe did a great job with the filming - I had no problems following the RedBull heli, which was incredible for a full scale to do. I'm sure the pilot is exhausted after each show from the physical strain those manuevers do.

With your hex, I understand your reluctance to use the return to home feature if there is a possibility it hitting something on the way down. You have a lot invested in that machine, I wouldn't take the chance either.

Glad your batt investigation went well and you found the sweet spot for weight vs flight time and prop size without overtaxing the electronics. The retracts sound cool and no LG in future photos, nice.

I see your point with the FPV - lose orientation and that could be a bad situation. And the flight times are limited. Who knows with lipo technology what will be coming out in a year or two...

The trains will still be in their boxes when George is ready for me to unpack them. Funny thing is I got the new DCC system when getting it back then so he won't experience the fun of transformers and only having one engine running at a time. Kinda neat the idea of using circuit boards in each loco.

Our day out last Sunday was a weird one - it was one of those rare days where something went wrong with everything we sent up.

Started with the rocket. I used a C6-7 engine to get a good high flight then at the ejection phase the rocket and nosecone/parachute went in separate directions. Ugh! This isn't the first time I had a bungee cord break. For some reason the Estes chords are weaker now then in my childhood days and only last maybe 10 flights before failing in flight. So we spent some time recovering both sections. Luckily we got everything back and now I just need to get some spare chords and replace them every 7th flight.

Next we took the Zero up. Immediately at take-off the nose leans forward enough to scrape the props. I hear a nice grinding noise as she lifts off. What the heck?! So I fly at 1/4 throttle just b/c I know the props are out of balance. Then the cockpit section flys off part way in flight. Unreal. Fly real cautious for the remainder of the flight (which was nice) and have a b e a u t i f u l landing. As I walk up to the plane (after retrieving the cockpit section) I see how damaged the props were. I need to do a bit of reinforcing of the motor mount and am glad I was only at 1/4 throttle b/c anything more probably would have ripped something apart.

Okay, now the jet. Let me start off by saying this outing the jet just seemed too fast for me. I felt like I was always 2 steps behind it. I flew for a short while but decided quickly I needed to land - I just couldn't keep up with it even at half throttle. My landing was way hard and more nose into the road then an actual landing. Didn't even bounce - more like crumbled. It is salvagable with some epoxy.

So a strange day indeed. Everything got to fly just didn't turn out like I expected.

I also got a package from China today - my parts for the nitro car repairs so will be working on that tonight.

I don't think I mentioned before but after the nitro car got damaged (and I found out it was going to take a really long time for the parts to arrive) I decided to get an electric buggy for George to try out. I feel the nitro is really too powerful for him.

The nitro is by Turnigy (hobbyking) and I got the electric by Exceed (NitroRCX - family of Xheli/Hobbypartz/Nitroplanes). The electric is perfect for him. Not too powerful but a good entry level hobby-grade RC car. Runs through the grass in the yard with no problems, the NiMH battery does a good 15 min. run, and unlike the nitro the electric's ESC has reverse...very important! So now we both will have cars to take to the parking lot when it cools down a bit.

Mark

Name:	SAM_1261.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	4.14 MB
ID:	2026919   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1264.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	4.11 MB
ID:	2026920   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1267.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	2026921  

Last edited by Aframomum; 08-29-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:44 PM
JPEE

Mark................. Monster Truck, yeh buddy!

Yes, I had put 8K in the Ford over 9 years of ownership for repairs, not service routine oil, tires, no no just break downs. A diesel is supposed to run at least for 200K miles, I got 65K on mine. I see her sitting still at the Chevy Dealer all alone in the lot, I honestly partly feel bad seeing her sit there. I did love the truck and enjoyed driving it and it took us 65K miles to see things. But life goes on as they say and my new Chevy is wearing the crown now. Today I just went for a drive, just for the joy of it, ya know! The reason I blacked-out out the plate is because of what happened to Glenn. A guy online on a Forum tracked him to his home by reading his posts and knowing the city from things Genn would say. The Doof called him one night out of the blue as a stranger!!!!!!!!! and asked if he wanted to sell any of his heli stuff. It knocked him for a loop let me tell ya. So I am careful as can be with the personal stuff like that. Crap everyone knows a cop that can run a plate or just be good on Google and track you and bingo they know exactly where you are.

I'll tell Joe you like his video, thanks

I have had bot the Hexa and the Quad come back on many occasions a shame to say....just showing off. I'd take it up nearly out of site and flip the switch for "return to home" and then go sit down. Other people and pilots would stand there in ah watching the Hex or Quad come back and land while I am sitting in my chair with the TX sitting on the table. But.......... that is in the wide open out doors too. I am proud to say tonight I just finished installing retractable landing gear on the 550! It is so *****en. :-) Tomorrow I need to put back the top lid in the hub and screw things down and then recalibrate her and take for a test flight. I am also going to relocate my gimbal to dead center under the heli, this will bring back my CG as opposed to having is stuck way out on the front arms. That make me tie the battery on the back of the copter hanging off like she's taking a poop, it just looked jury rigged. Now the pack will ride right on top center when I am done. Tomorrow I hope to put up photos of the finished product. I will go... forsure FPV at some point, but there is no rush.

Until I met Phil in AZ and OR I would not have even understood what you just said about DCC. But after seeing RR and learning "some" about that how he runs numerous trains at once I guess.. He has some with transmitters too. Me.... I have the old red transformer with a rheostat throttle and two extra ports on the side to run switches and stuff. But it was mine when I was 8 years old or so! George is gonna have so much fun with you when the time is right....man oh man will he.

STOP! when I read about your sad sad weekend I thought I die...OMG what a run of luck! Mr. Murphy of Murphy's Law and Bad Luck Emporium must have sitting very close to you that Sunday. Enough said on this subject I don't want either of us to dwell.

Glad the parts came in for the RC cars. By now they should be up and running huh? I think your right about George, let him grow a bit, even as fast as their little minds can be and surpassing us older ones, they do need "experience" and to grow into the hobby. A nitro car is awesome, but so very fast and unforgiving in many ways. DUDE............ you have
some honking scars on your fingers,I am so sorry for what you have had to go and are still going through with that accident. :-(

The cars look dang near alike, but once you lifted the hood it was clear who's is who's! lol. Again, sharing time with George even out on the front lawn will be thrilling for the both of you.

Well you and guys take care and good luck Nick in this new semester.

John
Old 09-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

I hope you have had a successful test of your quad with the new retractable landing gear. And more importantly get to center your lipo so you don't have that 'jury rig' look hanging off the side.

Yep, that DCC technology is very impressive! When I got started up again I had to do some major research to get a hold on what it was all about and what needed to be done with the different loco's. Not all loco's can be converted with a DCC circuit board as some (the old Bachman trolleys) cannot due to space restraints or motor wiring. I had to really look when purchasing loco's to make sure I was getting a DCC convert and not just a DC run one.

Then working on them (installing the board) on a N scale was mucho fun as you can imagine. But it was really cool when I got them up and running. I'll have to dig up and post a few pics of my 'old' project as I was building it. I even had a hand-held unit that you could walk around the layout with - that was a nice change too. I included a couple pictures of the layout I was starting on about 6 years ago before George was born.

I remember Glenn getting that surprise visit...how alarming someone can track you down so easily just by going over some photos we post here. Glad you are getting some you time with your new truck.

I'm sorry to say but even though I got the parts for the car a few weeks ago I am just now finishing it up and will be testing it out tomorrow morning. Got a bit lazy and didn't want to work on it so just drove the electric one. But now am getting the motivation back. I got a couple other projects going on as well so my times divided a bit. I got a replacement thermostat (a digital programmable one) so that is really at the top of my to-do list. Interested in seeing how much of a difference it makes over the stock one that came with the house.

I didn't really want to take a picture of my fingers when they were all chewed up but you were able to see the aftermath since they have healed. The sensitivity is diminishing so I am able to do more but I'll occasionally hit them in such a way that I'm quickly reminded, youch - they are still tender. I'm also getting some of the muscle strength back as I can now open can lids again and pull the door latch on the car. This really has been a slow road to recovery as they say ~ 2 months now.

Well, other than September being here and summer coming to a close (Sept 23 - first day of fall) I am eager for some cooler weather. Maybe even get some heli flying again...

Mark

Name:	IMG_0914.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	4.64 MB
ID:	2030440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0915.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	4.45 MB
ID:	2030441  

Last edited by Aframomum; 09-09-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:19 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

OBTW: On the videos be sure to click them HD 720. However, one seems to be stuck at 480, but perhaps it will upgrade later.

That is a mighty handsome train set up, ton's of potential! I have not seen my buddies remote but I have to assume it is much like yours. I thought he said his was wireless, I'll check. I am going to send you an email with a link to my YT of his trains but I choose not post it here publicly.

Thanks for not publishing your fingers, it's not that it would bother me honestly, but it would make feel bad even more for what your going through. Believe me.... you have my deepest sympathies already. I do sincerely hope you fingers come back 100%. A life lesson for young George as he grows up will be your hand. It will be an ever lasting reminder that accidents can happen to him and even daddy if a mistake is made or not, things can get a hold of any of us in just a moment.

You'll love the new thermostat. It will show you how many hours per a days 24 it runs the heat or A/C per week per month. It makes a good yard stick to turn down or up the stat a degree as needed to save some $$. In fact, I will share a fact with you. A/C and heat are in my ball park after seeing over 15 residential student buildings with some 850 units. I had to prove to others in a home residential atmosphere that turning off your A/C while your gone at work and then turning it on when you come home to chill down the house cost more than leaving it on all day. Trying to suck the heat out of the walls and furnishings and getting them down cool is like putting a hot brick in your refrigerator to cool it down. We......... leave our stat at 80 when we watch TV. We do go down to 79 if it is real hot outside at least until we near sunset and then it goes back to 80. When we go to bed, IF we cannot open the windows at 11:00 pm. then I take it up to 81. To take a step back, at 80 we have a oscillating fan going in the living-room that move the air. In our bedroom at 81 a smaller fan up towards the ceiling to swirl the air in the room but not blow right on us. Some people think these numbers are high, but I make this point. Our stat is in the corner of the living-room, my buddies across the streets is in the hallway, to coolest place in the entire house. So for him to sit in the living-room which is the furthest room facing the Sun from the stat he has to turn his down to 72-73. But spending a lot of time over there I can tell you that our houses are about equal walking in one or the other. A thermostat is like a house Location Location Location makes a huge difference.

As you will see I did use a 700e battery tray and drilled it into some small brackets I made. Now in the video you see the battery hanging like a limp noodle, but once I put the velcro on the tray and tightened up straps she works perfectly. I can also use near any size battery because there is room to move the battery up and down the tray to maintain the CG. To be honest I am tickled how nice it came out.
Also the goal is to get the 550 closed down to a small height so I can get it in a suite case to bungee on the RZR in AZ. At this moment I can speculate that when I slide off the camera and spread the landing gear she is about 7" tall. The suite case will serve for two issues, the fine and flower dust on the trail and the protection of the copter be thrashed around. Certainly the wife cannot hold it in her lap! Though I did ask lol....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I26Il3Getdk&list=UULCQJhyqvrCFQkImDUFyLBg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYDjpu4mcLg&list=UULCQJhyqvrCFQkImDUFyLBg

Name:	P1030858.JPG
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2030864   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030863.JPG
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	2030865   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030864.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	2030866   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030866.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	2030867  

Last edited by JPEE; 09-10-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Your video was amazing...I cannot believe all that stuffed into a single garage. Wow! Your friend is certainly diversified - and the tanks were cool. All of my train stuff is very small in comparison and so fits nicely in a box in our closet. I don't think you have the chance to 'go large' with your hobby until after the kids are grown and finished with school. Does your friend have an active layout he uses with all those loco's?

The hex video's were really good and the new retracts are beautiful and slow, not a snappy fast retract. It gives your machine that mean and hostile look. lol I know you are a happy customer with how it turned out.

BTW, are your drought conditions lessening b/c it looks like the yards are looking nice and green again. Or have your neighbors been spray painting them??? I hope you guys have been getting some relief rain.

Thanks for the endorsement on the thermostat...I almost forgot that was one of your areas of expertise. Took me a moment to figure out what stat you were talking about - thermostat. Stat for me means a specimen from ER that has a 15 minute turn-around result time. lol The location for ours is in the hallway so it is a degree or so less than the living room but we do have ceiling fans to help move the air around so the temps stay a bit consistent. It will be nice to have the ability to program during the evening verses day hours then having to manually change it before going to bed then again when waking up. Feel like we are still in the 70's and 80's technology-wise.

I had the chance to go flying this afternoon - did some quick repairs to the busted up Stinger jet and turned her into a belly lander since the landing gear took too much of a beating last time out. I read some reviews before getting the jet and some guys had a real hard time hand launching this plane...either would nosedive or quickly roll after launch resulting in a crash into terra firma. So I really never intended to try handlaunching it due to its reviewed history.

Well let me tell ya - tame as a putty cat! The launch was effortless. Full throttle, bit of up trim, release and she was climbing at a nice 45 degree angle. I also didn't have that one-step behind issue this time either. It was a really enjoyable flight. And now that I lost the landing gear my places to fly have increased as I no longer need a road/runway to takeoff from, so baseball and soccer fields are open flying spaces now.

Mark
Old 09-17-2014, 10:42 PM
Aframomum

Got a few more hand launch flights with my Stinger and it keeps getting better with each flight. I'm getting used to flying in smaller areas and not really worrying about landing anymore. Just a simple line up and let her slide on the grass. This plane still comes in hot but at least I don't need to concentrate on a small landing strip or worry about bouncy landings.

Weather has been giving us a break since we have a storm out in the Atlantic, nice cloud cover and some winds to keep things slightly cooler and dryer. Actually feels like September instead of July now!

Hope everyone is doing alright,

Mark
Old 09-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Aframomum

JPEE,

Just got your email and hope you are feeling better. Eat some chicken noodle soup, rest, and get well soon!

I never heard of that B-17 story but that was absolutely amazing. To be hit like that and then finish the bomb run and return to base...in that condition - truely amazing. But she got them all home safely.

Interesting timing as I just happened to start reading the Freewing B-17 thread over at RCG and the comments all the guys that have purchased this plane and flying them, even took a look at Motion to see the plane. Yowee, pricey! But it appears to be a good flier and looks amazing. Definitely something for the much more experienced flier.

Found a set of props for my Zero hiding away in my closet so got them on the plane and did a run-up to make sure no vibrations and it looks good to go. Hope to take her out Sunday morning along with my recently repaired F-18 - been awhile since I've had that jet flying.

SpaceX is slotted for an ISS resupply mission tonight at 0214 eastern time. (2214 your time). I think the window is exactly 0214 and so if the weather or anything should delay then they will have to try again Sunday. Weathers been iffy all day so hope it clears for them 'cause I'll be watching from work tonight. If your up the website www.spaceflightnow.com will have live coverage of the launch.

Take care and get better,

Mark
Old 09-20-2014, 10:12 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

That is cool George now has a RC car to play with.

That is good to hear you are enjoying the jet without the landing gear.

John,

That is cool you got the retracts to work on your heli.

I have been busy with school. My writing class has been hard. It is hard to remember all the little rules. My Digital Signal Processing class has been hard too. I don't have a lot of experience with the kind of math required. Hopefully I can learn all the tricks that make it easier. I just finished up learning about AM in my communications class. It is cool seeing the math behind the process. It uses negative frequencies and imaginary numbers, which sounds strange to most people. My instructor in my power systems class has been gone all week, so I had an extra three hours before having to go to school.

Nick
Old 10-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Evan T.

Man I haven't been on this forum in 5 years, its crazy to see that some of y'all are still posting on this thread! It's funny going back and reading the stuff I used to say as a 14 year old kid! I've been out of the hobby for a while, its too expensive for a broke college kid but I still have a few of the old toys, I may get back into it soon. Just stopping by to say hello!
Old 10-10-2014, 08:44 PM
evdreamer

Evan,

It is good to hear from you again. What are you majoring in?

Nick
Old 10-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Evan T.

Nick,

I'm majoring in ag engineering, hopefully I can come out and sell oilfield equipment or something and make some good money. How about you, are you in grad school now, or what are you doing these days?
Old 10-12-2014, 01:23 PM
evdreamer

Evan,

That sounds like an interesting career path. I am still an undergrad even though I have been in college for six years. I have one more year left of school. I never planned on going to a 4-year university. I spent two years at a community college after high school and graduated with an electronic degree.

Nick
Old 11-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Aframomum

Hello guys,

Hope everyone had a nice little Halloween. We had a bit of a cold front start to blow through starting Friday morning so by the time evening hit it was a nice and chilly 60'ish so perfect weather for tricks and treats! My son had a great time and got some good loot. We all dressed up as bee's so were known as the bumblebee family.

JPEE,

Hang in there. I got your email and saw on the full scale forum the barn in TX with all the WWII aircraft. A nice collection for sure - like a time capsule to that time. I hope he gets to unload some of it cause its a shame that all that hardware is sitting locked up and hidden away, it really needs to be seen and appreciated.

Speaking of WWII aircraft - I am planning on getting a Spitfire in the 1100 size. My Zero still gets some flights (although I need to tear down/maybe replace one of the E-struts) but my new flying area I take my son to is too small for that monster craft so I need to scale it down some. I tried an 800 size plane but that thing was way too squirrley and snap happy so that was a disaster waiting to happen.

I am looking at 2 different spits - one by Dynam sold at Motion and the other by Durafly sold by Hobbyking. My first thought was to get at Motion just because...but after a bit of research it really seems the Durafly is a more superior model. Electronics, model appearence, and QC/boxing are all less problematic with the Durafly then with the Dynam. Both come with e-retracts, run on 3S, but the Durafly goes further with scale split flaps installed, nav lights, and an actual period pilot (not a toy head stuffed in the cockpit).

I am a bit hesitant as up to now I really haven't spent too much at Hobbyking and never have gotten a plane from them. Plus they only have it available at their internation warehouse so I'll wait until they have it in one of their stateside locations. So I have time to wait but it looks like the Durafly model is worth it. Plus didn't you get several of your models from HK and no problems?

On the heli side of things I decided to do a 450 Pro and stretch it so it uses 360 blades and 6S. I still need to finish the setup and maiden so looking to later this week for that. This has been a long and drawn out project that took a long time to get finished. Looking forward to finally getting it done.

Don't forget daylight saving ends and yes, I got to have an extra hour tonight to type out my post and still have time to watch a movie and work on my heli a bit. I must be the only person alive that likes when the clocks fall back.

Take care everyone,

Mark
Old 11-03-2014, 09:46 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Bumblebees is it? I sincerely hope the little guy had fun, he's at the age now where he really knows whats going on.

HK,
Here is my opinion of late with them. I put in an order 5 months ago for a bunch of miscellaneous stuff and 450 Quad landing gear. After getting all of the mail saying it processing, is in the packing house, it is in the mail two months later I get an email that there is a BO on one part so they had held the order up. Then went on to ask, what do you want to do? But did not tell me how to get back to them. After two evenings of searching I took a chance on a page on their site to finally make contact. Then they asked me if I wanted to pay for the entire order, hold the order until the BO was in, or cancel the BO part. I wrote back and asked then charge for the whole order and send what they have and let the BO come when it comes. Another month I got the parts less the one BO During that time while I waiting they sent me a second email asking what to do the with the order again? I took the chance that all was in mail and disregarded it. As I searched the web I found a lot of complaints about there shipping, damages, bad batteries and sending stuff back. When I ordered my first Bixler Glider for Joe one of the wings was warped. I sent an email letter with clear photos showing the issue and they said they would send a new wing. After a month I got a letter saying that, the Bixler 1 no longer had parts available and they were phasing it out and sticking with the Bixler II. So I was left to send it back and pay the freight or keep it as is. I kept it and boiled the wing in hot water and then laid weights on it on the bench for a week to give it a new memory to the foam. This was the wings thickest part that slipped into the fuse. My work paid off and I never had a problem after that. But I must say I HATE being held hostage to a company overseas. Do I still buy from them yes. But I have made a point not to order more than I care to walk way from. I will add that were I you and order the plane, I would make the few dollar investment to order anything you think you might need later, landing gear especially. They are hard wire wrapped in plastic and molded to look like real life like landing gear. BUt if you hit the runway to hard the plastic cracks or breaks off and the wire bends. Then I have seen the guys straighten the wire then epoxy the plastic back on and the wrap it in fishing line or dental flaws and ad a bit more clear epoxy for strength. I have no idea what you gear might look like but that is something to consider. Yours look to be metal for the most part but read the Q&A
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...100%20spitfire
I do like the plane as you do better with the extras.

Mark, I have never hear of stretching a 450 Pro? How cool of a project is that. I assume there is an extended boom and TT or belt and then perhaps longer boom support rods? I still have my 90% Trex 450 flybarred from a HK 450 and a new one still in the box less electrics. They have been sitting for a few years. If you want to test your Piloting Skills fly a heli with a flybar and you will know your roots real fast! When time allows same a photo on the bench of her.

Yes you are "alone" on the reversal of daylight savings time, I like the long evenings myself LOL. What weird is............... AZ's time stays on the longer day time year round. But the TV shows that all start at 8:00 PM in Los Angeles all start there at 7:00 pm. so to see our shows we need to come in early or.................... I take two VCR's for tapping :-)

Take care and it was chatting with ya. John

PS:I am buying three slightly used solar panels and regulator from a friend for earthquake preparedness and to use here and to AZ next year Nov. for charging my RC stuff. I'll use the (not the best) deep cycle batteries on the RVs for power storage. The best batteries the electric cart batteries. I have been reading up and learning a lot in this area.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:50 AM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

JPEE,

You know that little voice that sometimes whispers to you quietly? Well, your story about your experience with HK made me make my decision (and listen to that voice) and I ordered my Spit from Motion. No question. No hesitation. And no regrets. Already shipped and arriving Thursday. Thank you my friend for setting me straight!

Now this plane will need some pre-planned work before her maiden. Strip the crappy baby blue paint (I hear acetone works great on foamies) and repaint. My work I did several years ago on that GWS P-40 gave me some invaluable practice on paint selection and application technique. The gear also needs to be raked forward but thats no surprise with our experience with these warbirds. The big job (other than the painting) will be to add the split flaps. A guy on RCG did this and has some good pictures so I'm confident I can do a decent job. Plus I have my Zero's split flaps to reference to. Can't you tell I'm getting excited about this project?

The 450 stretch project was something I came across in the HF forum - seems before the 450L came out guys were making their own TT and extended booms but the 450L parts fit perfectly. An upgraded ESC (40 amp or more, I'm using an Ice50), 6S 1300 batt, and 360mm blades and your good to go. I kinda made mine to order as I pieced it together from Tarot and Align parts and only got what I wanted so forewent any kind of kit, so no extra parts I didn't need. Went with KST servo's as the reviews were really outstanding and the price was very reasonable. So this is another fun project that I'm eager to try out.

More later as I need to get some rest now

Mark
Old 11-04-2014, 11:51 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Gadds zooks I didn't mean to scare you like that! That was just my interaction, but I will agree with that inner little voice. If there is some minor difference in the two planes then I think that measured over dealing with HK overseas “if” there was an issue far exceeds that minor up-tick in the machine quality you thought might be there. Motion is not really that far from you for mailing if you had to
[h=4]Motion RC, LLC
28039 W. Commercial Ave. Unit 6
Lake Barrington, IL
60010[/h]
On the acetone matter I would pre test lie I know you will perhaps with some of the packing hard foam insulation or a broken part off of the old Zero.
I think that cutting in the split flaps will require only taking your time and doing a good layout. I have seen guys cut them with at my old field with great success. Of course there will be cutting the channel for the wire to run in too. All easy but require a good eyeball and taking your time. I would also go full boat and get the hard plastic hinges.
http://shop.dubro.com/k/search?q=hinges&t=product
http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Hinges-226

I just learned this term recently, Blenderm, it is the wing tape used in clear or white to cover those channels in your wings or for using as hinges!
Pictures: https://www.google.com/search?q=RC+w...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAw
Heli’s

Just curious after reading about the neat 450 stretch, what were they using (making) for extended TT shafts. The rest I can follow it is a pretty straight up project. I have to assume you are FBL? WOW I had to reread the part about 6S pack on a 450 lol………ah ha 1300 pack finally caught my eye.

Well good luck Mark across the board with your projects.

John
Old 11-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Aframomum

Wanted to post some pics for you JPEE:

First is the Dynam Spitfire with that horrible blue camo color. Now you see why it has to go!

Next few is the comparison shots of the stretch 450 with a normal HK 450.

Last is George the bee (with the cool sunglasses!).

Name:	Dynam 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	2044923   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1383.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	2044924   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1385.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	3.58 MB
ID:	2044925   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1370.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	2044926  
Old 11-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Aframomum

JPEE,

You didn't scare me off from HK but I do have to admit your experience was unfortunate and I would not want to go through that. Up to now I've just gotten batts and the nitro car from them and have had no issues but don't want to push my luck with something this large and a bit more than I'm willing to gamble with.

Plus we both have had very good luck with Motion so the decision was really already made for me, I just had to do the necessary research to make sure I would be happy with the plane they offered. After reading up on it I do feel its a good choice.

Thanks for the hinge links. I do have some extras lying around here from the Zero's rudder hinge I had to do last year. On the flaps I was considering using hobby ply instead of the foam cutout but may try to glass the foam cutout and see how that works first. I used a thinned out epoxy method from Helifreak to repair a fiberglass canopy for the 500 after a crash a few years ago and it worked like a charm. So I may try that out for the flaps. Will definitely try the acetone on some scrap foam before hitting the bulk of the plane but thanks for the reminder. Sometimes in the excitement of a new plane our brains aren't all there and we do something goofy.

Blenderm - could that also be packing tape b/c that's what I've always used in the past to seal up servo wire channels?

Yep, my 450 is staying FBL. I don't want to ever go back to a flybar. Thanks but I just need to look back to some of my old video's and thank the heli gods we have moved forward. I can't remember what the TT were made from at the moment, maybe canniblized from another heli?

BTW, I wanted to ask are you using some voice command typing for these threads? I hope your not at a keyboard as I am pecking this all out? I am happy to hear you talk about AZ and stocking up on batts and solar panels (and VCR's - what are those again!!) and plans for next year November. It'll be here before you know it so hang tough there.

Nick,

Bet you are ready and counting down the days to Thanksgiving break! How's it going out there in Lincoln?

Take care everyone,

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 11-04-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:33 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

That is good to hear George had fun on Halloween.

I didn't even know people were stretching 450's.

I had to work the third shift when the time went back one hour, so I didn't enjoy working a nine hour shift. It would have been nice to sleep an extra hour though.

I am counting down the days until the end of the semester. School is going ok and keeping me busy. I signed up for classes for next semester. I will be taking chemistry, digital communications, programming Digital Signal Processors, and my first senior design class. I have to walk across the far ends of the campus twice and only have ten minutes to do that, so that won't be fun.

I found this cool article and video about a person who created an RC version of the Avengers aircraft carrier. They flew a RC plane off of it while the carrier was in the air. http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/5/71...ier-flite-test

Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.