Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got some rest so let me get caught up.

JPEE,

Got your email. I think I can answer most of your questions here...

The knee has been slowly healing and have been getting more movement out of it. Physical Therapy will start next week. Getting out of the car has gotten much easier now that I can bend the knee again. lol

Sorry about the confusion about my job in the hospital - I work in the lab so whenever you get your blood drawn I'm the person that does the tests to get the numbers for the doctor to review. That's why the MRI was so foreign to me.

Only gun I've ever shot was during my basic training for the AF back in 1992 - an M16. My co-workers put lots of change into their gun collections and ammunition. I have enough expensive hobbies already!

The cold air intake is a SR Performance brand that is similar to K&N and BBK, just a bit less expensive. Same principle and the filter is oiled for the increased airflow.

My dual exhaust that I am wanting is a bolt on that can be done by the DIY'er. I'm actually looking forward to doing the work myself as it would bring me a big sense of pride and accomplishment. I know I can stop by any muffler shop and have them do the work for me but I'm wanting to 'get my hands dirty' so to speak. But thanks for the tip on the GT exhausts.

That's really terrific to hear your grandson has taken to track and field. Sounds like he's going through those teenagers appetite!

Mark
Old 08-23-2016, 10:06 AM
JPEE

Hi Mark,

10-4 on everything. Your the guy that reads my Warfrin draws lol.

I fully understand that your a "hands on" kinda guy. There is nothing more self assuring and gratifying than doing it yourself with your own hands and knowledge and skills. Let's hope that your upcoming PT will bring you back "without" further surgery.

You take care.
JPEE
Old 08-26-2016, 05:00 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

I hope the physical therapy helps out.

There has been a lot of progress in MRI technology. They had a course at school about MRIs. The math involved turned me off of magnetics.

That is cool you got cold air intake for the mustang.

John,

That is good you enjoyed the range.

The weather has been pretty nice here.

I have been writing a lot of software at home this week. I am in the progress of fixing one of my financial programs that broke when yahoo updated their website. I basically have to write everything from scratch, so I have been putting it off for a long time. I finally got to the point where I can start populating my database again

Nick.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:24 PM
JPEE

Hello Nick,

Always good to hear from you. Dang-nabbed Yahoo people making all of that work for you. I guess it is a two fold chance for you to grow in "trouble shooting as well as rewriting the code".

Again, good to hear from you and take care..................... JPEE
Today we had the best cooler day we have in LONG time. Spent most of the day outside tinkering and enjoying.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Coming to you from Florida - the state of hurricanes and explosions!

Guess by now you've heard SpaceX had a massive explosion take out their launch vehicle - both booster and satellite lost. Seems the 2nd stage exploded during fuel loading this morning during a planned static fire test. Liftoff was scheduled for Saturday. We will see what the investigation finds.

And we are getting winds and rain from Hurricane Hermine. Looks like just the bands will be getting us but it is tracking to cross the state in the upper pan handle and move across Georgia and into SC by the weekend. It did cool us down a bit though - and here I was planning to do some transmission work this weekend...lol.

Hi Nick,

I figured Yahoo had done some software changes as their site seems to load extremely slow and even locks up at times. Really annoying and I'm sure you having to rewrite your code is just as irritating.

I bet the math involved in magnetics for MRI's was unreal.

Glad you guys are having nice weather and getting outside. Fall is just around the corner and really looking forward to it!

Mark
Old 09-03-2016, 08:12 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Did you see any of the Space X activity or smoke form the explosion?

We have been following the weather in your area and are so glad the storms front did not get you.

Transmission work? Are you draining and cleaning or replacing the filter?

Link: Drone Killed in Mid Air:

Take care.................. JP

Last edited by JPEE; 09-03-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:16 PM
evdreamer

John,

That is good to hear that you were able to enjoy the nice weather.

I finished the rework on most of my code. There is a small section I rarely used that is left. I wrote the original in college and it was interesting to see my thought process back then. The program would crash a lot because I didn't handle errors or problems with data very well. My new version is much more stable and handles errors much more gracefully.

Mark,

I saw the rocket explosion online and it seemed very intense.

That is good you missed the worst of the hurricane.

I hope everyone enjoys the holiday.

Nick
Old 09-05-2016, 12:50 AM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Nick,

Its fun to look back and see how far you've progressed. I guess you can call your revised program Version II. lol

Hermine may be gone but the humidity factor from the storm is hanging around for a few more days. My home weather station was measuring 98% humidity yesterday morning - and only a few clouds around.

I did put most of the loose stuff in the yard into the garage before the storm just to be on the safe side. Had the garbage containers up against the side of the house. Since I had to work that night we went out just about every hour to watch the winds pick up during the overnight hours. My drive home I had to dodge garbage containers that blew away from other peoples' houses. Luckily no power outages and no downed trees/limbs.

JPEE,

I didn't see any smoke from the SpaceX explosion from my house. I know that I don't usually see the rockets until about 15 seconds after liftoff so were too far to see anything. I had been watching it on the news and heard that most of the houses on the space coast could feel the forces of the multiple explosions. If this was a result of the second stage then that will be the second time a Falcon rocket was lost due to a problem with that particular stage - the first being last year, June when the stage failed due to the faulty strut.

Ahh, my tranny project - I wish it was as easy as a fluid/filter change but its a bit more involved.

I found a procedure that was established by one of the designers of the transmission in my car (its also used in T-birds, F150, and Crown Vics) that would solve the problem of slow, sluggish shifts. Ford designed their trans to have a delay during the shifts so both gears were engaged at the same time (so going from 1st to 2nd both gears would spend a portion of time being engaged). This would make for a seamless shift so the driver wouldn't feel it. But this puts extra wear on the clutch pads and gives the car a shift that feels like walking through molasses.

The solution by the Ford engineer Jerry? The JMOD. It involves removing the springs from the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators and drilling 6 larger holes in the separator plate. It basically removes the tension from the 1-2 and 2-3 pistons and gets the fluid to where it needs to go faster so the shifts are fast and hard. So far I have pulled all the parts from the transmission to get the valve body out. Got all the different parts and bolts in separate cups so I won't mix them up. Cleaned up everything with brake cleaner and drilled the separator plate tonight. Pulled the 2-3 spring but still have the 1-2 to do - having some fun issues with the snap ring holding it. Have to sand the metal burrs on the separator plate, put the new gaskets on, and put it all back together.

Did I mention working with trans fluid is fun??? Especially when you get a shower of the stuff when dropping the valve body - yeah, real fun! Here's some pictures of the project.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160904_085557_resized.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2179599   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160905_035523_resized.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2179600   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160905_035507_resized_1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2179601  
Old 09-06-2016, 08:08 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark and Nic,

Mark,
There is no other way to say it other than I am proud of taking on this project! This is quite and undertaking to say the least. I know exactly of what your speaking to regarding the shift pattern and desiring that SNAP when she shifts. As we called it, second gear rubber! B&M Hydro's were what we used fir street racing as they chirped your tires on every shift! Back in the day I did go into some Ford tyranny too but was shocked and afraid of all of the small parts. I can see you are well prepared in your prep and your work. I don't have to say to make sure you get ever little metal fiber free of all parts, there I didn't say it right? LOL Can't stand the feel or the smell of tyranny fluids, just like rear end oil.....stinky!

Thanks for the update on the Space X fiasco! I was saddened to say the least. With that said I think their record is still up with NASA's failure rates and......they can land on a barge too.

Nick,

Good deal getting through your code and making it right. I am sure looking back at what you wrote in school to your skill level today is like looking back at the Blade 400 to out FBL 700's today. Glad to hear all is well for you.

Take care fella's.......JPEE
Old 09-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Aframomum

JPEE,

It sounds like you had fun back in the day racing and working on cars. I feel like I'm just coming into all this a tad late but seriously thinking about it I would have never had the funds nor space to do the work I'm doing now when I was single and living in an apartment.

I got everything all put back together - yes, I did go over everything with compressed air to make sure on towel fibers remained to clog up all those tiny holes in the plate. It did turn out to be a bit more of a job then I had anticipated but now that I'm done it was very worth it. I'm taking it easy for now to make sure the fluids have filled all the little channels and crevices before I start chirping tires. I can already see some differences - reverse hits hard and I have very noticeable downshifts when slowing down to a stop. I'm just itching to do a WOT run just to see what she'll do. So soon! lol

Hey, speaking of rear end oil - that's my next project, draining the differential. I've heard it's a real stinky oil too. At least I'll be able to check for gear wear while I'm in there. One thing I don't like very much is I have an open differential so when I goose it I only get one tire spinning. Looks like my only option is to swap either the differential to a limited slip or swap the entire rear end. Hmm, going to put that on the back burner for now...

I hope SpaceX's investigation is going well and they are able to determine the cause of the explosion. I see the company that lost the satellite is asking SpaceX for the lost flight compensation - either money or a future paid flight. We'll see how this unfolds.

Hope everyone had a nice Labor Day weekend.

Mark
Old 09-07-2016, 06:05 PM
JPEE

Mark,

Before I start chirping the tires LOL......love it. It will come I'll bet! Sometimes back in the old days you could change the spider gears (I think) and make a direct drive. But that make for tearing up the tires every time you turn. Personally, I'd go with the limit slip read end, I believe it is less pricey and will do the job.

Yes I read where the satellite owners what there money back, while understandable I would doubt that Space X did NOT have a clause in their contract to account for something like that. This is science and exploration, not nailing 2x4's...am I right?

Good luck with your maiden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nJM9soSq6w
Old 09-12-2016, 12:23 AM
Aframomum

Hey JPEE,

I finally dusted off the Fusion 40 and got a simple flight in yesterday morning. Nothing extreme, just some relaxing flying around. It was nice getting her back in the air after a long summer slumber.

And yes, I have been having some fun with the newly opened tranny... (not quite like in the video, lol)

Mark

Name:	20160828_102116_resized.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	2180740  
Old 09-15-2016, 05:22 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Looks like fall is on its way, at least the days are getting shorter so more time for it to cool down overnight.

I finally 'think' my transmission is filled with tranny fluid. I say 'think' because each time before I thought it was full a few days later I would start to have some shuttering and when I checked, yep - low again. So now, after 2 weeks (?), I finally have it filled and holding that level. I thought it may be leaking somewhere but didn't find anything so decided the fluid was being used to fill more empty areas somewhere in the tranny. Talk about unusual!

Moving on to my heli's - I'm getting my old 450 back to flying so I can start getting back to some morning flying after dropping my son off at school. There is a ball park that is on the way home so perfect for that size heli.

My other dilemma: what route to take with my Goblin 570? I could do another 6S setup but I have been considering a 12S setup this time around. The components seem to be a bit easier cost wise for a 12S setup verses a 6S setup. I just have gotten really used to the simplicity of a single lipo.

Mark
Old 09-18-2016, 11:45 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

That is good to hear the transmission project was worth it.

That is good you are enjoying the weather and getting some flights in. I have been going through all the stuff I have collected over the years to see what I want to keep and sell. I went through my RCHeli magazines today. I didn't realize they went out of business. I might try to see if they are worth anything before I recycle them.

Nick
Old 09-23-2016, 08:53 PM
Aframomum

Hey guys,

And welcome to the second day of fall! Yep, days are shorter and the cooler weather is somewhere - just not here yet. lol

Nick,

Hope you decide on what to keep and what to let go - can really be a chore if you have a bunch of stuff.

I've always held on to my magazines just b/c its nice to go through them years later to see how we've progressed. May want to keep only a few that are really filled with good stuff and ditch the rest, that way you don't have a huge pile.

Well guys, I made a decision concerning my Goblin 570: 6S.

I picked up a Quantum motor and Castle Edge 130 ESC from the HF classifieds so am now waiting for the parts in the mail. Ultimately the ease of 1 lipo won out. Plus the disc loading was lighter with the 6S option over the 12S.

Moving on to my car now...I am going to be doing a true dual exhaust option that incorporates a H-pipe adapter to replace the Y-pipe and uses cat-back pipes - 2.5" pipe with 3.5" exhaust tips. The price is about the same (~$400) as my original plan to use a bolt on that still used the Y-pipe, but since this option replaces the Y-pipe with a H-pipe I get both a better exhaust note and a 15-18hp gain. Win-win in my book.

Hope everyone has a good weekend,

Mark

JPEE - missing?
Old 09-30-2016, 08:18 AM
JPEE

Only the Shadow knows where JPEE has been!

Mark, great burn out, now that's what I am talking about!

If I understand your saying the components cost less for a 12S than a 6S? My 700 is a 12 bird, but I remind you I have been flying it BOTH ways, slower with one 6S for putting and scale like flying, however she will cook as they say if you choose to with a higher head speed and changing pitch. My transmitter allow my to have two complete different set up with the flip of a toggle switch. So I fly slower "without" hot dogging but still brisk flying. Then when I put two 6S's in then it is inverted and loops and barrel rolls and so on. My ESC allow me without any changes to fly either voltage. I did move the single 6S on the battery tray for CG is only difference. Two batteries are more expensive too. What got me flying both ways was, Phil bought a 700 set up ONLY for 6S and liked the way it flew and................one of my older 6S's died on a battery tray. So there I sat with this one odd ball pack wasting away. Now it comes into go use, I fly the 6S to taker easy then I go to my other 3 trays with 12S and cook. ALSO.......man can you fly nearly twice the time on the 6S with the lower head speeds too. I have seen Phil best to my recall stay up nearly 15 min on that one pack. But with that said, my 6S head speed is higher than his. in three weeks I will be in my other place and I'll get some video and post of the difference in packs.
Cool deal on flying in the mornings after drop off..........to cool in fact. Thought of you this morning seeing another weather whammy coming your way. I gues you heard Space X is going to Mars YIKES!

Wow that is weird, the mystery of the disappearing tranny fluid!!! It sounds like you got to the sweet spot and all is ok. Again, I commend you on taking on that task!

OOPS: now I got the down the RCU page and see you make your 6S choice.

The Mags I give to Joe, I keep none for myself..........but Nick, if you can get something for them then good deal, hope your well and the job is fun.

Mark, I like your choice on the mufflers, that is the smart way in my opinion. Sorry I have been tardy, I have a lot on my plate of late.

Cheers my friends, JPEE

Last edited by JPEE; 09-30-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Looks like we're going to get skimmed by Hurricane Matthew starting tonight. Winds are now at 140 so we have been getting as prepared as we can. Been spending most of the morning cleaning up outside and taking in anything that could possibly get airborne. Also stocking up on water, batteries, and other needed things when we lose electricity. Just wanted to give you all an update.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:34 AM
JPEE

Mark,

We are praying for your entire families safe keeping and they and your home come through the storm safely!

JPEE
Old 10-06-2016, 05:38 PM
Aframomum

Thanks John for your thoughts.

Had some periods of heavy rains earlier so had to put some extra sand bags against the back doors since they were starting to flood. Looks like I'll be doing periodic walk arounds tonight to make sure everything is holding up outside.

Still calling for gusty winds to start around 2am. Electricity is still on so far.

Mark
Old 10-07-2016, 12:43 AM
Aframomum

4am...just did a walk around outside, the winds are blowing hard now and the light rain stings the eyes and face. No branches down but someone didn't take their garbage can in as ai heard it tumbling down the street. Roof looks good and the vent caps are holding.

On a positive note the mailman dropped off my Blade 180cfx that I purchased last week from HF - so I have a new heli to play with during this storm!

Mark
Old 10-07-2016, 04:04 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

I hope there isn't too much damage in your area after the hurricane passes.

There are a few magazines that I want to keep with detailed info on motors and ESCs. I am a bit of a procrastinator, so it will probably take me awhile before I start trying to sell them.

Other than that, there isn't much going on over here except it is starting to get cold in the mornings.

Nick
Old 10-07-2016, 04:09 AM
Aframomum

Looks like we got lucky guys. Seems it had a "wobble" while it moved north and it is currently directly parallel to us, but further east then expected. So we got spared the high hurricane force winds.

Mark
Old 10-07-2016, 05:16 AM
JPEE

Mark,

It is 6:10 AM in California as I write this note. We got up put on the coffee and turned on the TV to see how you fared out. It was great that you went ahead and published during the evening and we had our update they're from you our live reporter as well as what the TV said. Thank God you guys came through this for the most part not even with a hair out of place. I hope the family is not too afraid and they are now at rest as well.

Congratulations on your new 180, we will just call that a hurricane benefit he he he.

Nick, glad to hear you're doing well. So you are a procrastinator, hummm let me think about that lol. Now that the weather is starting to turn for you that's a good time when you're in your apartment to go through your magazines and figure out what you want to hold onto.

Both of you take care, JPEE
Old 10-07-2016, 05:31 AM
Aframomum

Nick and John,

Everything fared very well and we got lucky with the ultimate path the storm tracked. Power stayed on for us but many along the coast are without power right now. Curfews are in affect for all of today, heck even Disney closed for today.

Thanks for your thoughts on this storm,

Mark

Name:	20161007_081109[3].jpg
Views:	13
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2185052   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161007_090237[1].jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2185053  

Last edited by Aframomum; 10-08-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:47 AM
JPEE

Hello again Mark, great photos they are clear and certainly express the wind passing through the trees. Was a bit surprised there wasn't more rain in the pictures or standing water in the yard. We just watched the recent update from your governor and you have up to 600,000 souls without power, yikes! It is for reason I have two generators and my solar that I built. It will be 600,000 here someday when a quake hits and I am prepared. OK Mr. action reporter please keep the updates coming.

JPEE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.