Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 05:09 PM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been enjoying my bike except how expensive it is to own. I knew insurance would be expensive, but not how much I am paying. It is 5 times what I pay for my car. I don’t see how 18 year olds can afford to insure a sport bike without the help of their parents. I had my first service on Saturday. It was three times what Honda charged. The shifter and ignition switch seemed to give me grief on the same day. Now they are working again. It pulls much harder now that they took the RPM limiter off.

I am going to Alaska at the end of August for a week with my girlfriend. She is from there and we are going to rent a small RV or camper van and see as much as the state as possible. The state fair will be going on and we want to go see Jeff Foxworthy.

I have been cooking a lot of foods from my cooking class lately. I cooked a lot of cookies, a rice dish, refried beans with burritos, and fried stuffed cheese peppers. They are all amazing. I have a few more classes coming up soon.

Mark,

Happy early birthday.

That is cool your solar panels are working now.

It sounds like you and your son are enjoying the jets.

John,

That is good the earthquake didn’t destroy anything in your house.

It sounds like you were having fun with your solar panels too.

Nick
Old 07-30-2019, 06:10 PM
JPEE

Hello Nick,

It is so good to hear from you! I am sorry to hear that the joy of your new bike is a bit dampened by it cost of operation. But in life you only go around once and especially at your age. Ride it like you stole it while your young and can enjoy it, just be careful! It’s lol only money and you can make all you want. Now to be real........ by now I am sure you know how to live on a pretty good budget so it will work out. So you can feel a little more pull hey, cool...... just keep it under control.

Ah Alaska with your girl friend, it doesn’t get any better than that my friend. She having lived there will be able to show you the real Alaska and not just the tourist stops....take plenty of photos.

Solar = Fun LMAO for this old bird.

RC, I talked with my friend and neighbor from Oregon that live next door in the desert and we started building a plane as how and what we are going to fly this season. Last season was colder than Alaska and we had wind as well so we didn’t fly very much at all. But I have made up my mind and I am just gonna load and fly as many days even of for just a couple flight almost daily if possible.

If you ever mentioned you were taking cooking classes I missed it but that’s wonderful! When my Judy goes on her global trips with her lady friends ( I don’t travel off the old USA ) I am left to cook for myself and you what, I love it. I go to Pinterest and look up what I like and find a new recipe. For me it is kind of relaxing and going to the market is fun too as my wife has done all of that ALL at her demand as what she likes to do for me so for me to get to cook and shop is a treat and is refreshing as crazy as that sounds.

My long time friend, enjoy your bike, spend time with your girlfriend and cook for her special things from time to time and be happy :-)
JP
Old 07-30-2019, 06:14 PM
JPEE

Mark, I am sure your fast asleep by now. Like Nick, I wish you a very Happy Birthday and I am sure that tomorrow will be a great day for you and the family! I think you already got your Birthday Presents from Motion!!!!!

JP
Old 08-01-2019, 05:09 PM
evdreamer

John,

I live a pretty frugal life style, but I am willing to spend money on things that bring me joy. It is probably cheaper than the Audi R8 I almost bought a couple years ago. A few days ago I really got on the throttle going on an on ramp and felt the front wheel get light. The bike has traction control that keeps the front wheel down, but I felt my gut drop like in a big drop to a roller coaster. I never felt that before on my bike. I have been thinking about selling my helis and airplane recently to get some extra cash.

I will share my photos of AK when I get back. My mom is jealous because she has wanted to go for a long time, but probably won't now that she is retired.

That is cool you like to cook. I think I mentioned I took cooking classes before, but it has been a few months since my last one. I just go to a local community college for their continuing education. It is like $40 for a four hour class. We make lots of dishes and then eat it at the end. If there are any left overs we can take that home. I have made a few friends there that also take multiple classes. My girlfriend is a really good cook and does most of the cooking for us. I cut my thumb pretty good on a chef's knife yesterday, so I am recovering from that.

Nick
Old 08-02-2019, 11:49 AM
JPEE

Hey Nick,

I commend you for living a frugal life in these times. Many your age are deep in CC debt and every toy they "can charge"! I think I told you the time I got off my Harley and rode a friend monster Red Ducati. Same thing, the bike scare my as it got light and wanted to wheelie on my getting on the freeway so I know that feeling. That's wonderful the bike has auto traction control to limit the chance of flipping over!! WHAT.........you go to Alaska and then upon return show her the photos and get her to go. That's what she worked her whole life for!!! She deserve that trip, you teller I said so! Oh man, shoot me, drag me behind and car...........I don't care but please do knife me. I too got cut pretty bad (one time) I learn fast lol with a knife. Since then, for me, I respect a knife more than getting bitten from time to time when working with electrical 120 or 220. the scare for me is..........the cut is deep and fast and you don't feel it, you just look down and see all the blood. YIKES Kudos to your lady, that's nice she is a good cook and probably loves doing to..win win.

Take care

PS: you might as well sell off the RC stuff if you have no plans to use it. Later if you get in the mood you can buy new RC stuff and see how far they have come..
Old 08-21-2019, 08:19 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi JPEE and Nick,

Nick,

It looks like your really enjoying the new bike. I know things can get expensive but at least you know your bike is being properly cared for and you won't have any issues in the short term. Sorry to hear about the big insurance hit, hopefully it will ease up as you get older?

Bet your getting ready for that big Alaska trip. What a great time to spend with the girlfriend and with her being a native you have yourself a local tour guide!

JPEE,

I got the email you sent with the Motion behind-the-scenes of our foamies from start to finish. Very interesting to see the progression and I never realized how involved the guys at Motion are in the development of our aircraft.

Sorry for being MIA but I've been getting a lot done - both with the house/yard and in the hobby.

I've had a few yard projects that I was able to finish up - mainly redoing the plant beds with a stone barrier wall and replacing the pine bark with cypress mulch. The other project was to dig up 3 sprinkler heads and raising them a few inches as they were too low in the ground. A bit of a PITA b/c it requires digging to the depth of the main pipe then installing a 1" or 2" riser, then reinstalling everything. And when its all tightened up testing everything for leaks before replacing the dirt and grass plugs.

For the house I had to recaulk the shower as the original stuff was starting to crack. Don't ask me why but I decided to remove all the old stuff with a razor blade and scraper and redid it all using GE Silicon II Bath caulk. I was able to finish that up in a day and half. Worse part was the removal of the old caulk. But its done and is holding up just fine.

In the meantime I have been having a great time with my new Raptor. I was able to maiden a few weeks ago - decided to keep the gear on for the first flight. She was a bit tail heavy which was evident as after a nice run down the runway she shot straight up with a little up elevator. That flight was interesting and it took a few go-arounds to get back on the ground. After that I took the gear off and have been hand launching ever since.

She has some serious power - I can only hand launch at half throttle as the plane wants to pull out of my hand at anything higher. But the extra power is nice to have in reserve. The plane can really move but what is great is the slow flying characteristics - I am practicing doing slow high alpha circuits. Any trouble I get into is when I'm glad I have a powerful motor to get me out of trouble!

I got 2 Admiral Pro lipo's from Motion for the Raptor. They seem to be holding up just fine and provide a good 3.30 minutes of flight time. Motion also sells their own version of receivers - rebranded Lemon receivers named Admiral receivers. However I was able to pick up 4 Spektrum receivers from RCG sale forums so I am set for receivers.

I also started on my Goblin - finally checked all the electronics and for the first time powered up the motor with both my 6S lipo's. Yes, I was extremely nervous playing with 12S of power but the motor spun up just fine. Right now I am waiting on my swash leveler so I can finish the setup.

And last but not least - I ordered another jet. Someone please help me!! Yes, I broke down and ordered a 70mm F-16 in Arctic Camo. Kit only that Motion has on sale. It will be my first jet with retracts. Do I have a place to fly it? Not yet! But I soon will. I saw that they have begun construction of our phase III in our subdivision. So far they have just cleared the land and are putting in the sewer and water pipes. I am placing a lot of faith that they will have the pipes installed and roads finished in the next few months but will not open the 3rd phase until all the the lots from phase II are finished. That way I'll have a huge area to fly for a while. As I said, I'm putting a lot of faith in this plan, which is why I got the kit form so I'm in no rush to get it all together.

That's about it!

Mark
Old 08-24-2019, 10:49 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

I am glad you enjoyed the video.

No sorry's needed, the three of us are like family, but don't ask to borrow money for more Jets LOL you've already tipped the RC Jet Plane market off the chart! It's great to hear that your hand launch is comfortable and is working for you. Oh....slow passes are the best aren't they? But as you said, power is great too when you desire it. Glad you found re-purposed Spektrum rx's!
Sounds like your very close on the Goblin as well! I wished I could be there to see you fly 12S, your going to just love it to death. With 12S it's like once you've had a Rib-eye, a simple steak just won't do!!!
I wished I could provide you with what so need....... help to control your compulsive Jet purchases. However..... if I do I need to fly out there, we'll have an intervention LMAO
How wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are grading for the next phase of homes and you'll soon have a great area for flying for several months or perhaps a year. Your new plane photo is "stunning" congratulations!

I hear you on the sprinkler issue, it as just a PIA no two ways about it. Then with re-caulking, you did the right thing. Get on it now before it becomes an issue.
Take some photos of your planes and Goblin when they are done and ready to fly or in the air. Good luck my friend!

Me.....I have been hovering my MD 500 700e in the back yard setting new pitch and throttle curves as well as expo in two settings. The first, flying with one 6s and the other for flying with a 12s two pack set up. I am still suffering with the single packs, while they are flyable I have the throttle set at 125% WIDE OPEN I would be more comfortable with a little more needed power. Someone had for the 700e a set up that would allow to slide your bake so you can go up one tooth on the pinion, but now they are extinct! The motor mount is fixed on 700 so I am stuck in that regard. Again, she flies but there is nothing left for and emergency pull out in scale mode flying. If you recall I stepped up the motor to larges one they use in the new 700e's and that helped but is not the cure-all. this attached video is a 12S hover.

Nick, you should be taking that vacation here in a just a few days...so HAVE FUN!

JP
Old 08-26-2019, 06:27 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Your hovering video was relaxing to watch - and that sky of yours, so clear and blue! The weather looked really nice for a backyard hover. As you said, not a lot of room but you've got that thing locked in solid so no worries.

I hear you on the 6S verses the 12S packs. I know the convenience of needing just the one pack but as you said the power is just not there. Swapping out pinions is one solution but as you said the system for doing the swap easy is extinct.

I want to show a video I took of my son and I flying this past Saturday. This was the first time he got to hand launch a few of the jets and he did a great job. There is also a failed hand launch by me - luckily there was no damage and the next launch was a success. I still have my bad days... The camera I was using was a GoPro knockoff - the fish lens is not good as you spend more time looking for the plane then actually seeing it! Going to have to switch back to my old camera I used in the past.

Mark
Old 08-28-2019, 07:18 AM
JPEE

Good morning Mark,

The white paper in the photo is the size of my iPhone 6s

Thanks for noting my hover was relaxing, ah that would be for you lol not me. It is a tight area and has 3 wires over head, power, tel, tv so when you see me finally elevate I am clear of those. But then you can also see the wires in the back ground of all wire coming up to the left that run up and down the alley.......close quarters.

When I fly my 600 a 6s, it flies pretty strong. But in the 700 the difference is day and night. I still will stay searching for a way to up my pinion by one tooth I flew two seasons on 6s but she’s a bit sluggish which is ok for scale flying but I worry that if I go into trouble, can I get out of it. Again this video was with 12 and she was rock solid. Lastly, the upside to fly 6s is.........I do not have to pull off my nose bubble to slip in a new battery tray. 12s requires me after every flight to pull my safety screw and then pull off the front Heli’s to slide that long tray in :-(

Mark, your video was great, no other word for a few reasons. To see a dad and son spreading special time together was just.......”so special” and not done often these days by many dads. That the little man loves being out with dad is one thing, but that he loves flying too is the gift for you both. I just loved the launching, the good- bad- and the ugly.....lol

The fly zone is spectacular as Hell Houser used to say. I so event you to be able to fly there than in Cal where I have to fly. My desert flying compares in its own beauty as your zone. Of course your flying was excellent too! Looking at all of the planes on the ground made me nervous fearing that somebody would accidentally step on one.

I have to go out the garage to take a photo for you of how I get my videos that might work for you. For planes and heli’s it works great, for a fast jet? But I can say for the flybys it will work.

Out of boredom I pulled out my old 450Pro, fly bared.....and that’s a challenge to fly out back a few days ago. She is so spunky and it really test your flying skills not having any stabilization. It is matched to my OLD Dx6i. So once again out of boredom I decided I move the 450 over to my newer DX9. Well not having touched that for 6 months I could hardly remember how to turn it on let alone program it. I looked high and low 4 times everywhere and could find my manual with where everything fly is kept. But I do remember saying to myself when I pit it away, don’t forget where this is because it is not to normal place LOL. But I have forgotten. This morning is cool so before we get nearly to a 100° I will methodically search again. The bottom line is after numerous hammering away I got the hell he locked in and got the hovering a few inches above the ground and the problem is I don’t know where to plug-in the radio the Gyro? You’ve got to assign it to an area by the aileron elevator search. So I’m going to have to try and pick deep inside the frame and follow the Gyro wires to see which plug they are in on the receiver. Then I’ll have to look up a picture of that receiver to see where the Gyro goes, pin slot 1,2,3 etc. once I have his location then I’ll have a place where I can adjust it’s gain and stop the tail from bobbing. Again out of boredom I charged up my Crawler and I can sit in my garage and cruse the street , lawns on both sides of the street.

On the News this morning we see another Hurricane heading for you, be safe and batten down the hatches my friend, stay safe my friend.

Last edited by JPEE; 08-28-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:06 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Yes, we are all getting ready for Hurricane Dorian.

What started as a not too bad storm seems to keep getting updated to something a bit worse. Started as a cat 1, then cat 2, now they have it hitting the Florida coast as a cat 4. I don't think KSC has ever had a storm this strong hit them this close.

I got gas last night (around 3 am) and got lucky as: (1) they had gas, and (2) there was no wait. Driving into work tonight there were long lines at several of the gas stations I passed, plus one other was already out of gas. I stopped by the grocery store last night to get a few things and saw they already were out of water, bread, and the canned section was very cleaned out too.

I have a few things left to do with the house tomorrow and Saturday. Mainly have to go up on the roof to check all the off ridge vents - I'm considering putting some plastic over them and the exhaust vents to try and keep water out of the attic and the house. I also want to check over the solar panels to make sure everything is snug. We will put everything that is loose/not tied down securely into the garage sometime Sunday (when the winds start to pick up). Luckily I will be off from work so we all will be together during this.

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 08-29-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:18 AM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Dorian passed by and luckily only scraped us with minimal issues. We did have a long delay as it sat stalled over the Bahamas - they really got the worst of it.

My planning for this hurricane was a good practice and I feel everything fell into place. For the next one I should be able to get most of it done in relatively short time as now I have all the supplies and practice done.

A few things I did was to cover all the roof vents and exhaust fan vents with 2 mil plastic drop sheets, that way no water got into both the attic and down the exhaust pipes into the bathrooms. I used cut pool noodle to block the attic vent holes before covering it in plastic. I also ran some irrigation piping to take water from the side gutter along the side of the house where it could run down hill. There are a few low lying areas that always collect water so I was able to prevent flooding in those areas. I may eventually bury some piping there to make it a more permanent solution.

Mark
Old 09-08-2019, 08:47 PM
Aframomum

JPEE,

Thanks for the pictures of your hat cam setup. Right now I have to find my old camera and I should be able to attach it with the same method I used for the Geekpro.

I was thinking of what you said about your 700 flying on 6S - I guess you can't do some adjustments in your pitch and throttle curves to give you a bit more wiggle room when you need it. Sounds like a bit of a pain flying on 12S having to remove the front bubble each time to do a battery swap.

I have discovered with my jets I really can't use my existing lipo's for them. It seems each one has its own requirements, either size or C-rating. I was hoping to share my 6S 3200 that I got for the Goblin with the F-16 jet (I have 4 of them). But after wading through the nearly 400 pages on RCG I think the general consensus was the larger 4000-4500 gives a longer flight time and better flight characteristics. Same thing happened with my 64mm Raptor - I was hoping to use my existing 4S 3300 from my warbirds but its too large and heavy. I had to go with some 4S 2200's. My mini Thunderbird and Raptor I also had to pick up some new 3S 1000 lipo's as I had nothing for those jets.

I decided to try out some of Motions lineup of Admiral lipo's. I got a pair of 4S 2200 and 6S 4500. The 4S have been doing very well in the Raptor and I'll see how the 6S do in the F-16 when I get her ready. Still waiting on the motor/fan and decals from Callie. I decided to redo the Arctic camo in the Thunderbirds theme instead. I actually really wanted the jet in the T-birds theme but the only one that offered it was Horizon and I felt the Freewing was a better choice in airframe.

Another thing I am trying out is a stabilization gyro for planes. Many people say they make the flying much more comfortable and heck, we've seen it personally with our FBL heli's! So I picked up an Eagle gyro from Motion just to try it out on one of my warbirds first. I figured I'm pretty comfortable with how they fly so it'll be a good platform to test out. I would like to get a gyro for the F-16 eventually so hopefully this will be a good lead into that direction.

Almost forgot a picture of my current jets. Will get a picture and hopefully video when I finish with the Goblin.

Have a good week!

Mark
Old 09-09-2019, 12:18 PM
JPEE

Hi Mark,

Your home, your sure did a fine job securing the roof vents and other exterior openings. The yard drains too, you really looked hard at what might happen and how to minimize what could have been potential issues, well done my friend.

Whatever way you go for your hat cam I can hardly wait to see some flights!

Wow, that is quite a battery dilemma you’ve had to face and a somewhat costly one too with so many different required packs! 400 pages of do diligence reading is commendable and it appears it has paid off. We can learn by our own mistakes and learn from others that have been down the trail.

My buddy Phil in AZ has a few of the horizon airplanes that have that stabilization. When you install that Eagle Gyro and if it works well, I’ll one for my big P-51. It's not squirrely or to fast like a Jet but I might help me overall. And by all means don’t forget a picture of the goblin and how your progress is coming. Your photo of your Air Force Hanger is spectacular!

I treated myself to a new toy too! I miss flying 3D and I wanted to have something small I can even “gently fly” here in the back or front yard. Horizon did an update to their last year‘s model and this is the 230 S V2 helicopter with stabilization and three flight modes and capable of full 3-D collective 12 up 12 down. Normal mode the stabilization is so strong it’s like flying a quad or hexa copter. Aileron banking is very minimal. The SAFE technology in this Gyro system provides us with a button on our transmitter that is dedicated to SAFE mode. This means while flying if it gets away from you you press the button and the helicopter rides itself and starts to climb vertically! I tried it today and set the heli to mimic a crash and pressed the button and BAM she righted and saved herself! What you would call Stunt 1 makes the helicopter happier with a 85% throttle across-the-board with positive and negative pitch to get frisky. Stunt 2 is 100% throttle across-the-board and positive and negative collective. I’ve had the heli for three days and I’ve just been flying it in normal mode with the heavy stabilization around the yard and I’ve been doing OK. Today I went to the city park first thing this morning and took off in normal and now I was able to go out and fly around left and right figure eights horizontally and get familiar with the chopper. Before the battery was depleted I went ahead and put it in Stunt 2 and flu a bit until I felt comfortable and then did my side 360° rolls and then nose over tail & tail over nose 360s. Lastly, I did a couple of large vertical circles getting inverted at the top holding for a moment or two and then coming back down. When I set the heli down I was trembling from the adrenaline, I could barely get my fingers to move where I wanted them LOL. I sat in the truck for 10 minutes until that passed and the threw in another pack and flew the whole thing in Stunt 2 and really had some fun. Here are a couple of photos to show you the size of the helicopter and I’m going to include a video of a guy that was very skilled in flying it in his yard and it’ll show you what it’s capable of. Far be it for me to be able to ever do that.

Last edited by JPEE; 09-09-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:10 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

What a cool little heli, and such a huge improvement over our old CP Pro 2 days! Brushless on both main and tail, FBL, and with stability modes. Everything we used to wish for now a reality! I also like to high visibility scheme it uses - bet you won't lose orientation on that sucker. I bet you were shaking after the first flight! It will be nice to have for something to fly from your yard rather than having to pack up and drive to the field.

I still need to install my Eagle stabilization in the Focke wulf 190 to try it out, but wanted to first finish my setup with the Goblin. One thing at a time you know? lol

Once I test out the stability with the 190 I'm probably going to get a stabilizer for the F-16 that can support flapperon setup - its a nice feature that I've learned to use on most of my jets to help slow them down on landing approach. My fan came in from FMS earlier this week and my Thunderbird graphics are due from Callie next week. Luckily (?) it is still hot out so flying is still reduced to mornings and only a few flights at that. So not missing out on too much doing builds now.

I had a huge milestone today as I was able to spin up my Goblin in the garage this morning. My son wanted to watch so I made sure to spin it up before he went to school. I was mainly concerned with the belts and if they were tight enough, but I really should have been concerned with the direction of the swash movement as both the elevator and aerilons were reversed. At least it was just a spin up and not an actual hover as that would have been most likely disastrous!

My first hover will be at the field as I felt the garage is too small for a heli this size.

Mark

Old 09-16-2019, 01:21 PM
JPEE

Mark,

I just wrote a long reply to your adventures above and said Post and it disappeared!

I'll try again later.

Mark,

I can't wait to see that Eagle stabilization mounted and seeing what she can do. Smart move to do your beta on the smaller plane. Congrats on the new fans arriving and once the graphics hit this week you'll be down town as they say. I getcha on not flying in the heat, it was 104 again the day before yesterday.

Well Mark, that some some spool up my friend. I heard you exhale quality to relax before you did the spin up, we all do that don't we, it does help. She sounded so strong!!!!!!!! I love hearing the th blades cutting the air. you do have some cranking head-speed there my friend! If I may, when I do that test in a garage I stand outside near the open garage door jamb. Because it it go south, no fault of your just a mechanical failure and she scatters I can take one step to my right and I am behind the exterior wall. I am a bit of a fatalist coming close to have been gobbled up some years ago with another 600e I had then. Short story I was flying in a old field and there was some wind, no issue for the mighty 600e. But when I landed I was nose to the right and tail to the left and she paralleled me. Just as she touched down a gust came up and picked her back up and with the head coming at me. It was fast and I was so close and I could not even move. I had a millisecond to turn my back and take the hit there. By the grace of God, just before she got me the blades hit the and she did the funky chicken dance and I was saved. there was and the guy that was with me, that same day after he had to heli hard landings and standing behind the his heli she threw a tail blade that must have cracked on his bounces and hit him in the leg. Fortunately his Levis stopped the blade. So please give that some thought. I loved hearing hearing your sons remarks, oh my goodness he is so darling. Yes, he was excited too, you are blessed.

Well my 230S has no gone down 3 times and I have spent $45.00 on parts and rebuilt it now twice! and now today the third time. Summed up, she flies beautiful in stability mode, but stunt 1 and stunt 2 she want to tip over no matter how low I made the setting, and today even after made them the same as the stability mode. I got a call back from Horizon and they are replacing the receiver/gyro stabilization system unit complete, BUT they are on BO and wont be in until October :-((( the take away is...... I can still fly in the stability mode and still enjoy it.

JP

PS: Before I hit post I am doing a "copy" first this time

Last edited by JPEE; 09-16-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:49 PM
Aframomum

JPEE,

That's enough to burn you - losing a long post. Don't fret as its happened to all of us. Definitely have to copy before hitting that "submit reply" button!

I'm really sorry to hear about your issues with your new 230 V2, specifically with the Rx/Gyro. At least Horizon is taking care of you with a new one once it comes into stock. Good that yours will still fly in stability mode so at least you have something to fly while waiting.

I'm glad you enjoyed my first spool-up - don't worry, will Not be doing that in the garage again! That was a very tight space and with my swash controls all backwards I was a bit nervous in the end. I have to get used to flying a heli again as during that spool up I was trying to move the tail and realized I was moving the controls for the aileron - don't ask what I was thinking! My son had a great time...as you heard.

I've got a little work left to do with both the heli and my 190 before getting them ready for flights this weekend.

Mark
Old 09-18-2019, 08:29 PM
JPEE

Mark,

Got it all. You’ll do great this weekend! I might might offer......I know you didn’t ask lol but check your headspeed, cause you were cranking in the garage. Put yourself a Stable mode in (0) mode then when your ready you can always flip it up to Stunt 1 when your comfortable after a flight Stable to get her feel.

Good luck my friend, again, I know you will do well.

JP
Old 09-22-2019, 01:50 AM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

My, you have a good ear! My headspeed for normal (at 50%) was 2149. I flipped it to idle 1 (straight 80) and got a reading of 2510 - yikes! Only did that for a second a half. Obviously this heli has been pinioned to use a governor. I'm used to running straight throttle curves so I'll have to use the governor in the esc.

I have been having some issues with getting into the programming software for this ESC - mainly I can't get the Castle Link to open the ESC software. I have a few more things to try out before I check the forums and call Castle if it comes to that.

So for now I had to make a few changes to the throttle and pitch curves so that my throttle didn't go above 65% (gave me a HS of 2225) and my pitch reached 100 at 65% throttle. I just did one flight this way and only one flight - I was getting too eager to flip her and kept having to remind myself that's a big no-no.

It was nice to get her flying finally. I was very rusty and had some issues, plus it was late and windy so it was a fun flight. The shape and coloration is great with this heli so I know that my normal flying time (mornings) it will be very easy to see and keep orientation.

Enjoy the video!

Mark

Old 09-22-2019, 12:35 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

A good Sunday to you Mark and Mr. G your pit man and co-pilot

Thanks, my ears are pretty good with head-speeds, I’ve been around the field a bit more year than you :-) You develop an ear for what’s right or safe or just ripping etc. I am glad you are tracking that with your phone app. Boy when she lifted the sound coming off the blades was “music to my ears”, I just love it!
As far as governors go they have their place. My 700e has a Kontronik with Gov that I cannot be turned off funny as that sounds. When I flew out of the scale body I flew straight line as you mentioned. If I bogged flipping or something the Gov would kick in and bear down on the required torq I needed for that moment. It’s been years but it seems like I read when I did my install and it’s probably the same for all ESCs with Govs and there was a percentage.......to never go higher that (guessing after many years) like 90% on your throttle curve so Gov had that 10% to give you when needed. My “problem” was/is......my ESC can not fly with a curve 0-100. I found back in the day that when I throttled up and at anytime I held the throttle for a moment in one place the Gov kicked in and locked at the sticks position! Then if I raised the the throttle or lowered the throttle The Gov was kicking in and out driving the heli nuts trying to fined where it was supposed to be locking in. That made scale flying of the MD500 impossible to do a scale slow spool up to a set head speed at zero pitch mid stick because she locked in then as I added pitch and raised the throttle she was coming in an out as I said earlier. There was a fix for me (btw I check with kontronik and my esc was for hard core slamming flying) my fix was I moved over to flying at a flat line head speed. Then for scale flying I fly one 6S 0-125 then after that scale spool up I flip Stunt 1 for a 125 flat line and the Gov does not function with one 6S pack. I would like to go up one tooth on the pinion but unfortunately in my 700 motor mounts are fixed and there’s no way for me to add a tooth and slide the motor accordingly so what I have is what I have. It’s just a wee bit weaker than I would like to fly but it handles the MD 500 pretty well. But another tooth would certainly be welcomed.

I think your right there with your new pitch and throttle curve, I like it. Oh, be sure to read the box your blades came in or go on line because there are some top rpms listed on on some blades due to the stress on the blade root!

Again, I really enjoyed the video and thank so for sharing it.

I took my 230 to the Dam yesterday with the guys and that was the first time to let her out in a wide open space, but still in Stable mode until my new receiver/gyro system arrives. It was so so much fun, cant wait to practice my old 3D limited moves as they were. Flew my Bixler and I took my RC car Axial Wraith crawler and did some running around playing with it too.

Take care JP

Last edited by JPEE; 09-22-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:12 PM
JPEE

Mark,

Got the 230S V2 back together and found my error in the programming. I feel like dud after finding I had not set up the gyro-stabilization system right. The dang thing is like a VBAR believe it or not. My mistake was using the trimmer switches on my TX no no no! You make all adjustments after magic stick moves to adjust all servos and gyro system. You do nothing like traditional set up. So today I got her flying in all three modes.......now the final test will be to fly inverted and see if she holds.

All is well all in Cali......

JP

Last edited by JPEE; 09-30-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:28 PM
JPEE

Hey Mark,

Someone is calling you!

Old 10-08-2019, 09:33 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

That is good you are enjoying the raptor.

I have been doing some home maintenance too. I replaced a toilet and have recently been adding some landscaping bricks between my backyard and my house/garden.

That is good Dorian didn’t cause too much damage in your area.

That is cool the goblin is flying now.

John,

It seems like you have been having a good time with the helis.

I was reading that parts of Cali will be without power for a few days from a shutdown to prevent more fires. Not sure if you will be in that area, but I know you are prepared with a generator.

Alaska was a lot of fun. I only had 6 days and two were spent flying to and from. The scenery was amazing because all the trees were starting to turn fall colors. We almost hit a brown bear going to Fairbanks. I wasn't driving and didn't notice it until my girlfriend slammed on the brakes. Apparently it was a momma bear and ran back for the cubs. I was more worried about all the moose. They are like deer here going across the road. At first I thought the signs were for deer until I was corrected. A lot of trees were burned. I don't know if it was from natural causes or from controlled burns. We went to the state fair the first day there for her birthday. We got to see Jeff Foxworthy in the evening. We went to Fairbanks for a couple of days and stayed with a friend of hers. It is interesting seeing how they live to survive the incredibly cold winters. Then we went to a hot springs to relax. I saw Santa's Workshop where all the Santa letters are delivered too and the college she went to. There is apparently a lot of road construction always going on. The roads are super bumpy. I assume because of the permafrost thawing and freezing. We then drove down to the peninsula. I got to see a lot of salmon trying to swim up stream and a lot of fishing boats. We had to turn around and quickly head back up to the airport. I was struggling to stay awake at night driving us to the airport. There is basically one highway connecting the towns north to south. If you want to go anywhere it will involve a lot of driving. We drove over a thousand miles seeing as much as we could by car. Otherwise, you would have to take a prop plane to go to other parts of Alaska.

I started learning to write software for our computer applications at work. It has been interesting and should help me advance in my career.

I will post some pics of Alaska later. I just wanted to check in before I go another few months without posting.

Nick
Old 10-10-2019, 11:17 AM
JPEE

Hello Nick,

Today Oct 10 the winds are blowing very hard. Much of the northern state has had their power dropped-out so the lines in the winds don’t touch and start fires are are extremely dry here. Yes I have two gen’s and my newer Solar backup system. The power might drop out 12 miles from me where Edison and PG&G are the providers. Me, I am on the Los Angeles Dept of Water and Power so gives me an advantage. But still, when trees go down they take power line with them.

Your fast vacation looks as to have been a blast for a country boy lol, I say that lovingly. The first time I saw a Moose up close I could not hardly fathom how freaking huge they are up close. They would total out a car for sure. Glad you were both alert while driving through the country. The State fair was the way to go, that gave you a real lol of what goes in that part of the state and with your girlfriend coming from there I am sure she could point things of interest out to you. All in all after reading everything your posted it sounds like it a wonderful adventure! Hopefully you got to see some big glaciers as well, it’s kind a cool when they break off and slam into the ocean.

That’s just excellent your getting to use your education at work in writing code for them, good deal!

Hey, for sure, speaking for Mark too, we’d love to see the pic’s of the trip.

Take care now. Here is a 3 min video of my drone flying over the old mostly dry Dam 10 miles from my house where we fly our gliders on the down-low.

JP
Old 10-11-2019, 04:36 PM
evdreamer

Old 10-11-2019, 04:41 PM
evdreamer

More pictures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.