Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

When people ask you...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:41 PM
nick2bad4u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When people ask you...

I'm just wondering about what you people say when people ask you to fly your heli. You know there going to crash it, but you dont want to just be like,"NO!!!" So, what do you guys tell people that ask about it??
Old 07-31-2008, 10:49 PM
J-MICHAEL

Default RE: When people ask you...

Just RUN ! No...Kidding. I say sure, first come over here and get on this simulator here (G4) for a warm up..... Usually ends with them getting off the computer with there tail between there legs...lol.. If ya don't have one, don't know what to say...Nobody's ever asked as most figured or know that it is difficult with no experience. But I understand, as I'am always the "too nice" type of guy that would feel bad !

See ya around,

Jeff
Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 PM
rotarydoc

Jeff,

LOL, yeah, that has worked quite well for me too! After I remind them they just destroyed about $1500 worth of heli parts, that usually does it!

But nick, if you are out in the field, you just have to tell them the truth, and that it's alot harder than you can imagine, and that the heli is a serious hobby, and not a toy. And, it's really expensive and time consuming to repair after a crash!

I know what you are saying, you don't want to be a mean person, but you kinda have to put your foot down sometimes.

Like you said, you KNOW they are going to crash, even though they probably don't think so...

Good luck!

Glenn
Old 07-31-2008, 11:03 PM
nick2bad4u

I wish I had a sim to do that with, but I don't. Ah well, I guess ill just tell them if you crash it your paying for it. and make up like a number like its a 2 grand heli xD!!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:29 AM
autoart4you

make them give you the cash frist! and the keys to there car... just so you don't get blood in your car while taking them to the ER!
LOL, that should do the trick
Old 08-01-2008, 12:57 AM
dirtsavage

I've been in that situation at work. I let the guy fly it...and it crashed. Probably the most violent crash I've seen. I chaulked it up as a lesson learned. My fault for being "dumb".

I won't just flat out say no. I let them know "it took me countless hours of flying time, crashing and hundreds if not at most $1000 to get where I'm at now". "Do you have the time and money to put into it at this moment?". 9 out of 10 times (without going further into it) they'll get the point. If they don't thats when you just have to say NO.

It's not being rude. They just don't understand.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:36 AM
tyrick69

I just tell them no way! And then I explain to them that it cost me hundreds of dollars and many many hours to get to the point where I could actually fly the thing around, and although it may look easy to them, it most certainly is not. Most people understand, especially when you tell them how much money you've put into your heli. I don't even want to fly my friends helis even when offered because even though I'm confidant I won't crash it, I don't want to be responsible for trashing someone elses stuff.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:36 AM
simmo8

hello everyone
it has only hapend to me once with my blade 400 and i said if u lay $1000 on the bench i might think about it and he walked away with a smile on his face lol .also i dont think they realise how much it will hurt if it comes over and gives them a cople of good wacks across the ear << not that they would get it of the ground long enouph for it to do that lol.

simmo
Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 AM
redlance88

for now I would just recomend that ya tell them that your just learning yourself and that you expect that you can't yet show them how to fly it.
Personaly, I just bring my cx2 along when I fly , and if any one wants to give it a try I show them how to fly that. most crashes with the cx2 cost about $3 and I can afford that with the hopes of getting others interested in the hobby. if any thing I have the experiance of having people want to fly but being too afraid of breaking things to try it. the cx2 isn't a toy but its almost as cheap as a toy to fix. I haven't yet had any one ask to fly my cp pro , I expect its cause they see the look of concentration that I have when I try to fly it. that and with trying to learn 3d over 1/4 of my flights end in a crash.
I thought I was fairly good , untill I tried to start flying upside down.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
xyster101

I do the same as mentioned above. I tell them the helicopter cost $400 and it takes around 5 hours to set it back up after a hard crash. Once that is mentioned they understand and I don't feel like a jerk. I have let people fly the CX and my FP #4 a few times. Of course the #4 was crashed but I knew it was going to be.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Genettico

Tell them your heli has fingerprint recognition pads that only allows you to fly it! And if someone else was to fly it, it would go in auto-destruction by chashing and crashing agressor! lol!

No really... say: "...no im sorry, I havent finished paying for it yet..." Works for me!
Old 08-03-2008, 04:00 AM
H3li

I'm also one not to complain or who finds it hard to say No, but with my Heli's, if someone comes up and asks for a fly..... NO WAY!!!

Regarding my 450 class Heli - those rotor blades are spinning at upto 3000rpm, therefore if they come into contact with anyone or anything (pets etc), can cause serious injury! Especially flying in a field, where there may be families walking or people walking their dogs.....

Also as said, this Hobby is not cheap, the Helicopters are expensive to build and repair, therefore with the chances of them trashing the Heli in the first 30 seconds being very high, it really is a no brainer - the person probably has never flown an R/C Helicopter before, let alone held an advanced controller!

For my 450 Heli - it would be a stern NO SORRY! However for the tame and cheap to repair Blade CX2, i *might* consider giving them a quick fly.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Geardaddys

I just tell them that I've been at it for a while and it is still very difficult.. I don't feel bad at all..
Old 08-04-2008, 08:23 PM
choppersrule

Nick2bad4u,

Easy out, just tell them, that the batteries aren't charged and it takes about 1 1/2 hours to do so.

Dave / Choppersrule
================================================== ====================

ORIGINAL: nick2bad4u

I'm just wondering about what you people say when people ask you to fly your heli. You know there going to crash it, but you dont want to just be like,"NO!!!" So, what do you guys tell people that ask about it??
Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Dopesick

I tell them if they can manage to fly on my sim, without crashing.... I will GIVE them a CX2.

So far, I still have my CX2.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:07 PM
redlance88

I have had a few thoughts as I was reading the replys. and I rember when I was first getting intersted in helicopters , I had never used anything rc, except cheap wallmart cars. I was a flight sim junkie and I knew the basics of how real helicopters worked. I was in my LHS one day , and the guy behind the counter was flying this little red counter rotator all over the store. it was the coolest thing I had ever seen, I knew rc helicopters were soposed to be one of the most difficult rc toys to control , so I wanted to know what the deal was with this thing, I asked him how hard it was to fly , and he said not to bad... I asked him if I could fly it, and I said , if I could get it off the ground without breaking it I would buy it right there and then. he told me to just keep it very low and just try a few short hops to get a feel for it. I asked him what controls did what , and I am sure that scared the crap out of him. well it wasn't the best example of controled flight but it flew and I was hooked. what I am trying to say is that certainly our heli's are expencive and I am not telling any one to risk there own funds or prized helicopters on newbees, but keep in mind in most cases the reason they ask , is that they are interested. by all means protect your investments , but also be friendly and answer questions about how they work , how hard they are to fly , what they cost , and what your experiances have been. if the guy behind the counter had been the least bit rude he wouldn't have gotten a sale, and I wouldn't be flying helicopters now. he went above and beyond by showing me how to fly it. and wouldn't have had to actualy let me fly it . but there really is rarely any need to be more than firmly polite that its difficult , its expencive, and here is where ya can get one of your own that I would be very willing to share my knowlage with you on your own heli.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:31 PM
klaze

I agree with your story..

But that store owner has something to gain from letting you try the heli..

yah it'd be nice if I could let a young child or middle aged man try flying my heli and show him how great R/C is... but I really have nothing to benefit from it other than Karma

Also the store owner can get parts a lot cheaper than me if not free.

But you make a very good point the person is just curious and interested.. two very good qualities..
Old 08-31-2008, 01:29 AM
rudiix

It's quite simple really. Who paid for it, built it, taught or still teaching themselves, repaired it many times, bought it for their own pleasure and dealt with all the frustrations that go along with it.???? Don't know about you guys but I am not a charity, they can go to a hobby store to try. They have a valid reason to let you try tho with my experience most stores won't even let you, unless it's a toy. They can't keep on giving free rentals and keep having stock wrecked.

I'm not gunna let someone else try it, stack it, I repair it and set it up again. What for? They want a go...go buy one and try. Most will not..just want to try something that looks like fun using someone else toy..

I just say no and don't feel the slightest guilt.