Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

futaba 401 gyro problem

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

futaba 401 gyro problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:01 AM
CrT-RaCeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futaba 401 gyro problem

I recently installed a futaba gy401 gyro in my b400. The tail was a whole lot better then the stock crappy gyro. I also added a hitec hs 56hb servo for the tail. Its been working for several days well. Just about 2 days i had this very odd problem. If i was hovering, or flying in normal mode (not in idle up) the tail will wag once or twice, then go away if wind was present or not, after the wag it would hold steady. Then it would do it again, it got very annoying. I had the gain set to 50% on the gyro itself, and 70% on the transmitter. I like how it holds in this setting but it may not be right. I am using the foam tape included with the b400 and put 2 pieces side by side and put the gyro, i wound up the extra gyro wire, and extra servo wire and zip tied them (dont know if this is the cause but might as well include it). I have stock tail rotors. Just yesterday i had a crash, which bent the tail boom, replaced it and the belt looked alright, the teeth were dull (dont know what there suppose to look like) also the belt tension was fine when it was wagging. I dont know if its the servo, or the actual gyro, or a glitch, or a wrong setting. What do you guys think?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:21 AM
evdreamer

Default RE: futaba 401 gyro problem

You can't set the gain on the gyro only through the transmitter, so what are you talking about the 50%.

Nick
Old 08-20-2008, 01:21 AM
CrT-RaCeR

The dial on the gyro itself is on the 50 mark, it ranges from 0 to 100 on the dial, I set it to 50, the guy before me had it to 75

Edit: it was the delay pot on the gyro
Old 08-20-2008, 08:22 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

You can't use the 401 with the gain wire unplugged (the single wire) the gyro will never initialize.

There is no way to control the gain on the gyro, you must use it with a computer radio with end point adjustment on the gain channel.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:09 AM
evdreamer

Try turning the delay all the way down. I was using a slower servo than the HS56 with the delay all the way down and it worked fine. I am curious if that is the problem.

Nick
Old 08-20-2008, 11:26 AM
xyster101

I too just installed a 401 on my Blade 400. I have a Hitec 65 servo (not digital) and I have my delay set to 50% on the gyro. Try messing with this setting. Mine used to wag when it was set to 25%. I also have my gyro setting on the tx at 68% or 70%, they seem the same. LEt us know what happens
Old 08-20-2008, 11:27 AM
CrT-RaCeR

I just realized the gyro was initializing in rate mode the whole time, I forgot the gyro was in reverse and 0-50% is HH mode and 51-100% was rate mode.

BarracudaHockey I have a DX6i radio that came with the B400, I have all 4 wires from the gyro plugged in the right channels.

I will try lowering the delay, have to get parts for the heli first
Old 08-20-2008, 11:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

The way to set the delay is to do a full speed piro and let go hard at the end, if the tail bounces (it will with a slow servo) slowly dial in some delay until you use the minimum amount you can and get a smooth stop.

Thats the only thing Delay deals with and is the proper way to set it.

Sorry when you said wound up the extra wire and zip tied it I thought you were running w/o the remote gain.

Always boot in in heading hold mode, infact, put the switch in heading hold and rebind that will set the fail safe to heading hold and you wont have the problem of the reciever booting before the gyro and the gyro single flashing till you cycle power a few times.