Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Can you actually learn something from the MCX?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Can you actually learn something from the MCX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:37 PM
samolot
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you actually learn something from the MCX?

Hey everyone,

I have been flying planes for a while and sparked a sudden interest in helicopters. I didnt want to spend much on my first one and i already have a DX7 radio system. What a perfect beginner's heli the MCX BNF would be, if only one question that I have might be answered. If i wanted to progress into this part of the hobby succesfully, would the MCX be a suitable starting part, or should i get something bigger like the CX2? I want something to teach me enough to be able to handle something a little bigger and "badder" like the blade CP-Pro for my next heli. The only reason why i ask this question is because it seems like this heli has been advertised as a fun gadget. Prove me wrong please.

Thanks!

Samolot

PS: I have been spending countless hours on G3.5 with helis.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:55 PM
nitro stan

Default RE: Can you actually learn something from the MCX?

i just got a cx2, this is my first try at going airborn, iv crashed it alot but its a blast

the mcx will do everything the cx2 will but on a smaller scale, iv seen my LHS guys fly em a couple times. it seems to fly better than the cx2,hover and spin aswell
im going to get the bind and fly for inside, i cant control the cx2 good enough to try fling inside yet.

the cx2 is'nt perfect, theres a few free to very cheap mods you can do to make it fly much better, boomtown hibbies carries alot of hop ups for it aswell

on a side note, A-main has the CP pro clearanced to 139.00 RTF
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9416
Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

It is a great aid for learning orientation and instinctive control.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:33 PM
USHobbySupply

I believe that the coax's are a great learning tool. It takes time for the eye-hand coordination to sink in and learning which way you need to move your fingers when the heli does x takes time. Will it teach you enough to be a perfect flier of more advanced birds, no. The only draw back to these coax helis is that they are inherently stable, while the bigger single rotor birds are inherently unstable. But they do make for a good starting point, just dont expect to transition from the coax to the cp birds in one giant step.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:21 PM
BTallack

I personally own the CX2 and just purchased the MCX and I'd almost say that the MCX is a little better starting point for the simple reason that it can be used more often. It`s hard to find the space indoors to fly the CX2 unless you have access to a gym or ballroom of some sort, and flying it outside requires perfectly calm conditions. The MCX can be flown any time which will allow you significantly more air time before moving up to something bigger.

The biggest thing to remember is to take incremental steps, or at the very least invest in a good RC Flight Sim like RealFlight and get plenty of practice on that before moving to a 3d Heli. The MCX will give you a feel for the hobby, and many of the flyers I know that regular fly larger 3D Helis like the T-Rex and Blade 400s absolutely love the MCX as it allows them to enjoy their hobby anytime.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:46 PM
maxmicrox

I have both Eflite and Walkera helis and there is just no comparison if you are talking about smaller helis. The smaller Eflites are more toy quality helis with a lot of plastic parts while the Walkera helis are upgraded with (hobbie quality) aluminum/metal rotor heads, carbon re-enforced blades (stiffer) and more powerful motors. For a beginner, I would buy the Walkera 5#10 over the Eflite CX2, the Walkera 4G1B over the CX, the Walkera 5G6 over the MCX. I don't think I would buy another Eflite heli until they catch up on the upgrades and lower their prices. That might be a long wait my friends.... [8D]
Old 10-08-2008, 12:15 AM
HarleyDave

ORIGINAL: maxmicrox

I have both Eflite and Walkera helis and there is just no comparison if you are talking about smaller helis. The smaller Eflites are more toy quality helis with a lot of plastic parts while the Walkera helis are upgraded with (hobbie quality) aluminum/metal rotor heads, carbon re-enforced blades (stiffer) and more powerful motors. For a beginner, I would buy the Walkera 5#10 over the Eflite CX2, the Walkera 4G1B over the CX, the Walkera 5G6 over the MCX. I don't think I would buy another Eflite heli until they catch up on the upgrades and lower their prices. That might be a long wait my friends.... [8D]

The only thing I find wrong with the Walkera line of heli's is there electronics are about as good as something that gets discharged out of the back-end of your dog... I've had better luck with E-Flites components. Every helicopter brand has its ups & its downs......

Harley
Old 10-08-2008, 12:56 PM
BryFlyGuy67

ORIGINAL: USHobbySupply

I believe that the coax's are a great learning tool. It takes time for the eye-hand coordination to sink in and learning which way you need to move your fingers when the heli does x takes time. Will it teach you enough to be a perfect flier of more advanced birds, no. The only draw back to these coax helis is that they are inherently stable, while the bigger single rotor birds are inherently unstable. But they do make for a good starting point, just dont expect to transition from the coax to the cp birds in one giant step.
It's funny you say that, Michael, as that is exactly what I did! I had 2 CX2's modded up pretty heavily and then took the plunge and stepped up to the TREX 450 SE V2. It really was not that bad. Having said that, I did purchase a good simulator to practice on, which helped me a lot.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: BryFlyGuy67

ORIGINAL: USHobbySupply

It's funny you say that, Michael, as that is exactly what I did! I had 2 CX2's modded up pretty heavily and then took the plunge and stepped up to the TREX 450 SE V2. It really was not that bad. Having said that, I did purchase a good simulator to practice on, which helped me a lot.
I did exactly the same thing, started with a CX which I upgraded to all metal head and swash parts and moved on to a T-Rex 450 after a brief and not so friendly encounter with a CP Pro. My first T-Rex was the all plastic XL but what I learned from the CX was enough that I could move on to the T-Rex and only used training gear for the first couple of flights.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:54 PM
soloboss

If you have a new MCX you're the guy I need to talk to. I'm thinking about getting one and the LHS demos it in a small area to show how stable it is and how well it hovers. That's great, but does it actually fly? - I mean can I fly it around the room. The CX as it's delivered wants to fly but the flybar stops it about every 10 feet where it swings like a pendulum, then away it goes again for another 10 feet. I can mod the flybar to make it fly better, but for indoors I want stability. I just don't want so much stability that it won't Go anywhere.
Ya know what I mean?
Comments?

Soloboss
Old 10-14-2008, 05:22 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

soloboss... I've had my MCX for a few days now... its the most fun one can have indoors... well, besides sex its hands down the most stable and best FLYING coax I've ever had my hands on. You can slide left/right at a good clip but not as fast a foward flight. Foward flight is about as fast as I would like it to be for flying in a small space...2-3 MPH(I'm guessing here) its enough to keep you on your toes but not so fast you get in trouble easily... backward flight on the other hand is almost too fast!

What I normally do is pin the right stick foward and steer with the tail... if I get into a tight spot I'll jam the right stick left/right to move faster in the needed direction(or crash) Speaking of crashing... this little bugger is tough as nails! I have yet to do any damage in several crashes flying into REALLY tight spots... I take that back... I did put a small hair line crack in the canopy and lost one of the tiny O rings that hold the canopy on big deal! by tight spot I mean landing on nick-nack clutered shelfs on my entertainment center... flying over the fan blades on my ceiling fans(not running of course) and in general putting the little guy in spots not much wider/taller than the heli itself... after many blade strikes running into stuff I haven't broken any of the mechanics.

I've never flown a CX but I under stand the heli not wanting to keep foward flight... the MCX does not have this habit... you do need to work the left stick a bit to keep ALT and foward flight speed... its dosen't really try to stop FF... it just slows a bit. I have flown several charges where I simply flew circuits around my living room, into the kitchen and back the entire 6-8min of flight time... to do this I just pined the right stick foward... steer/maintaine ALT and FF speed with the left... very easy.

I did make 2 mods so to speak that really gave me good FF speed... a small 8 32 nut taped inside the nose of the canopy... helped a BUNCH and didn't harm stability(re trim). The other was take the evelvator control rod In about 3 turns... gives you more foward tilt... helped a LITTLE... if you only do one... add the nose weight

Bottom line... GET AN MCX!!!!! and a few spare batt's...you'll want more flight than charge time

Edit to add...

Wow... I did a good job of hijacking samolot's thread[] sorry man... I guess the little MCX still has me excited.

Anyway, to help answer YOUR question... The MCX WILL NOT TEACH YOU TO FLY CP HELI'S!!!!! as a matter of fact it would only lead you to a false sense of security leading to a RAPID first flight crash with a CP heli... trust me... I fly 450 size electrics and 30 size nitro... the MCX and coax helis in general in no way represent CP flight. Your already doing the best thing you can by flying the sim... next step is get the CP heli you want... find someone you trust to help with set up and test fly/trim it for you... and get to crashing... I mean learning.

John
Old 10-16-2008, 03:51 AM
H3li

A short answer to your question would be, 'skip' the MCX and buy the Blade CX2.
I have recently test flown the MCX, it virtually flys itself, it's that stable! Even a 5yr old could fly this micro Helicopter!

To really advance, I'd recommend you start out with the Blade CX2. While also being a co-axial helicopter, will better prepare you when moving up to a larger more advanced helicopter. Being larger, you need to provide more careful stick inputs, in order to fly it competently. Also it's a good deal more nimble and faster than the MCX (no surprise). Again, which will better prepare you for a larger Heli.

Not sure what was meant above, as the CX2 is perfect for indoor flight!
As it has been out a while, there's a good deal of upgrade options for the Heli should you be interested in going down this route. Also, a number of 'mods' that will add greater performance.

My first heli was the CX2 - I then took a big leap up to my 2nd Helicopter, a 450 class collective pitch Thunder Tiger Mini Titan. I've never used an R/C flight Sim.