Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade MCX battery help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:06 PM
twistedmustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade MCX battery help

So i got my mcx today, and ive been flying the crao out of it. My batteries started taking longer to charge. Now it takes 30-45 minutes to charge the batteries. Are the batteries junk now? I really dont wanna have to by new battery already.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:16 PM
J-MICHAEL

Default RE: Blade MCX battery help

ORIGINAL: twistedmustang

So i got my mcx today, and ive been flying the crao out of it. My batteries started taking longer to charge. Now it takes 30-45 minutes to charge the batteries. Are the batteries junk now? I really dont wanna have to by new battery already.

Have you tried a fresh set of new batteries in the RTF charger ? That could be the problem... I've had good luck with my MCX and my Vapor batts so far... The Vapor uses the same lipo but they are 70 mah and I've got over 100 flights with the Vapor batts.... I do use my other high end chargers to charge the MCX batts now, as I wasn't pleased enough with the RTF charger(s)... I did though use rechargeable batts for the RTF chargers and always made sure they were charged as much as possible....

Hope this helps.... Let us know...

~ Jeff
Old 11-01-2008, 08:23 PM
twistedmustang

I donnt think i have a charger that does a low enough amperage. Can you post pictures and instructions on how to make the battery able to charge on a peak charger?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:42 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: twistedmustang

I donnt think i have a charger that does a low enough amperage. Can you post pictures and instructions on how to make the battery able to charge on a peak charger?
Some guys will get there little lead(s) for there other chargers to charge the MCX batts here :

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Park..._p/pkz3052.htm

There the same ones the MCX uses... Instructions will just vary from what charger you have and what type or style that you want to make your leads and such... I have 3 of the RTF chargers, so I just took one apart and swiped out the lead in there, and soldered a connection to some banana plugs to adapt to my Accu-Cycle charger... Some guys are even setting up a scenario where they are charging 3 at once, and so there charger thinks its a 3-cell and has been working for them... If you check the MCX thread and toward the end portions a few guys show how to do this...

I just use my Accu-Cycle in which can charge two at once seperately, which is plenty for me... Under the little rubber feet on the RTF charger there are screws there to disassemble the RTF charger... The chargers actually don't work that bad, just make sure you keep a good set of batts in there or you'll start having issues... The RTD charger is harder on the little lipo's as its charge rate is at 0.3 which is charging the lipo at a 3 'c' rating... Generally you don't want to exceed 1 'c' in charging lipo's... (0.1) Its harder on them charging higher, and unsafe... Not sure why they did that with the RTF chargers... My Accu-Cycle won't let me charge any lipo past 1 'c' as its unsafe and a bad thing...LOL...

Anyway, I'll throw up a few pics and you can get an idea...

Have a good one,

~ Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46369.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1063632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88250.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1063633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48255.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1063634   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43385.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1063635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68338.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1063636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11673.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1063637  
Old 11-01-2008, 11:35 PM
DKPatrick

I just purchased a blade mcx today......done as instructions said with the equipment supplied. my flight time is only about 4-5 minutes....is this normal?????
I removed batt from charger after light stays out for 20-30 seconds between flashes as instructions state... should I leave it on charge a bit longer?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:42 AM
JPEE

Hello DK

As Jeff aka J-Michael said above the stock chargers are not that good. I/we have been making pig tails to charge the MCX batteries on our largers pro type charges. With that said under peak conditions I get 6.5 minutes out of a charge. Now the battery will still have some juice in it but you DON'T want to run them flat, it kills theire life span. No you'll get nothing out of leaving the battery in the charger longer, my friend...............it is what it is! And their is another reason we are charging with our pro chargers. Some guys have had their batteries BLOAT which is close to bursting which can cause harm and possible fire. NEVER charge a battery out of your line of site! ! ! One guy had his on the MCX factory charger and after an hour the light had not gone on so....................he pinched the battery to remove it from the charger and dang near burnt his fingers! ! !. Now I DO NOT mean to scare you but this little lipo batteries are not toys. More often than not your little charger will do the job ok. If you read your manual you will se that you will only get about 10 charges out of the batteries in the little charger. When you use Duracell's that will imporve. I would recomened you consider Radio Shack re-chargeables. If you plan to fly helicopters and other tings in thelong term and feel you really like the hobby then by a middle of the road charger now which will carry you through this hobby.

Smiles JPee
Old 11-02-2008, 09:48 AM
twistedmustang

im only 17, and i dont have a job the woulds allow me to by a nice lipo peak charger. so ill just live with the rtf for. thanks alot though, ill keeps your ideas in mind.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:54 AM
JPEE

Hey, like I said....... ENJOY IT......... FLY IT............. HAVE FUN WITH IT. I know 129.00 was a chunk of change for a young man of 17. My letter above was not to discourage you but rather to make you "aware". Again I repeat! HAVE FUN with your MCX
Old 12-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Keelo68

NOT LOOKING GOOD (for eflite mcx batterys)
I got my MCX about 3 weeks ago and am seeing a bad trend in the batterys. The one included with the heli I think was just fine.. got about 50 flights (kept them short.. like 5 mins with some landings to keep motors cool). Now that battery is very weak after fresh charge and is only safe to fly about 60 secs...I'm thinking this is normal (I've flown cx2 for 3 years and expended MANY batteries). Then I bought 3 more eflite batteries and another charger. Started using 2 and left 1 unopened. After the 3rd charge or so...using both new bats and chargers (and swaping them) I noticed that one of the two had more power at wide open throttle...easy to tell by climb rate and motor whine. After about 20 flights the weaker battery is cash and the better one only made it 30 or so (all short flights). Now the kicker...opened the brand new one last night and it was a dude out of the package....first flight was just like my worst one...no power and 1 minute flight time.
Whatha?? Now I know it's not the charger (cause both have fresh duracells (stock batteries are junk btw, 3 charges) and both produce same result). So that leaves the heli or poor quality batteries. Now, I don't think it's the heli drawing too much power...simply because my old .. even that first battery still flies the heli... in fact JUST LIKE the new one I opened last night... and I know that old one is bad because it so gradually lost it's power. The heli flies perfect and all tho I've recked it plenty I have never replaced or repaired a single part...other than taped cracked canopy...rotors spin very freely... So, I said all that to ask > Anybody else getting bum batteries?!?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:56 PM
wbrosen
My Feedback: (7)

Been flying my MCX for a few weeks the stock batteries are OK but what do you expect from 1 cell. Bought some replacements Tenergy - set up for the MCX they are great and the right price flights last for about 7-8 minutes. Try this link - http://www.ritehobby.com/30128
Old 01-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Keelo68

...craziness... I just got 2 of the tenergy 130mAh batts...one has good power freshly charged (have flown them about 6 times each, none more that 4-5 mins) but only for about 1 minute... until I see a specific symptom... the other does not achieve full power even with fresh charge. Here's the symptom to look for.. when a pack starts to loose power (should be 3 or 4 mins into flight) you will notice that the nose will yaw (turn) at full throttle... you cannot even counteract it with full left stick input. This is probably normal after half pack is spent.. and worsens toward the end of the charge. This is what I observed with that first (I believe 100% good) battery that came with the heli. But, now out of 6 total batteries, all but 2 have exhibited the unstoppable rotation at full throttle at first lift off. Remember I have two chargers...so It's not the charger. Sooo... whattha? I can't be the only one eh? .... anybody...
Old 01-15-2009, 09:57 PM
MuggyDude

well, then I must be licky. I got 3 Tenergy batts and they all run great with 6-7 minute flight times and the stock one is the same! I've put about 5 flights on it so far and everything is still going great. I 've gt to go fly again! See you later!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 PM
rcbartra

Hi keelo:

Glad you posted about this issue, I just got off the phone with Horizon and they gave me BS. As you stated, looks like there is an issue with this batteries and I wont rest 'till I find out what the problem is. I remember seing a post about the same problem and was caused by bad motor(s). I got about 8 min on the 1st flight of my 2nd batt (after replacing the 1st one for warranty) but now after about 10 more flights Im down to 4 min again. I set my timer for 5 min so cant be blamed on over draining the battery.... I will keep you posted and please do so ..... We need to solve this mistery!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Keelo68

More battery info...
Since my last post I have acquired 2 (more) new eflite batteries and again they are not equal. One is satisfactory and the other is obviously weaker throughout it's discharge cycle. Here's the kicker, my buddy just got a brand new mCX and I tested 4 of my batts in it... His heli flies just like mine. It's not the motors (in my case), IT IS THE BATTERIES! ... All of you who fly this heli (or any electric RC) know that it's only fun to fly with a nice hot battery. Mine has nose weight (1g), moded swashplate and shorted flybar for fast flight (much faster than stock), making it most critical that I only fly with a strong battery for recovering from emergency stops/decents. It's like 2 different helis with a strong compared to weak battery. *sigh* ... Hope the moderator won't mine me venting a little. >> i'm pissed. heh.. I feel a bit better.
CYAS
Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 PM
kruser495

ORIGINAL: JPEE

Hello DK

As Jeff aka J-Michael said above the stock chargers are not that good. I/we have been making pig tails to charge the MCX batteries on our largers pro type charges. With that said under peak conditions I get 6.5 minutes out of a charge. Now the battery will still have some juice in it but you DON'T want to run them flat, it kills theire life span. No you'll get nothing out of leaving the battery in the charger longer, my friend...............it is what it is! And their is another reason we are charging with our pro chargers. Some guys have had their batteries BLOAT which is close to bursting which can cause harm and possible fire. NEVER charge a battery out of your line of site! ! ! One guy had his on the MCX factory charger and after an hour the light had not gone on so....................he pinched the battery to remove it from the charger and dang near burnt his fingers! ! !. Now I DO NOT mean to scare you but this little lipo batteries are not toys. More often than not your little charger will do the job ok. If you read your manual you will se that you will only get about 10 charges out of the batteries in the little charger. When you use Duracell's that will imporve. I would recomened you consider Radio Shack re-chargeables. If you plan to fly helicopters and other tings in thelong term and feel you really like the hobby then by a middle of the road charger now which will carry you through this hobby.

Smiles JPee

you only get 6.5 minutes? i easily get 7 minutes. then there is still 30 seconds of flight till the LVC turns it off.