Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

just a thought

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:27 PM
animalnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just a thought

my wife was looking at the mcx and had a great idea why not do away with the top blade move the flybar down and hook up a tail motor off the top blade speed control lets get some feed back before I start cutting
Old 11-14-2008, 12:50 AM
jp473

Default RE: just a thought

Hmmmm [sm=idea.gif] [sm=greedy.gif]
Old 11-14-2008, 08:53 AM
soloboss

That's a shrewd wife you got there. Engineering major perhaps?
Anyhow, there was a whole lotta thought about that same thing for the regular size CX. It seems like such a natural. BUT, the lower rotor won't lift the helicopter. And if you put larger blades on the lower rotor the motor won't turn it. And if you put a larger motor on the lower rotor to turn the larger blades, the 3 in 1 won't power it.
BUT, way back 'in the day' I looked at it all and decided that I could remove the motor that runs the upper rotor, and put a second motor from the lower drive in its place - then turn the plug over so both motors go the same direction and the pinions will both run the lower rotor gear. Now we have enough to run a larger rotor.
The blade attachment is odd so you need to come up with custom blades to fit aftermarket grips (Extreme or similar).

That leaves the tail issue.

And that leaves the tail issue.

Yep, it sure does.

I suspect that the same issues are true of the MCX. And when you figure it out at a lower cost than a Falcon 40 or Walkera #4, we're all interested! Especially if you can get the change to work for the MCX!

Great post. I love this stuff.

Soloboss
Old 11-14-2008, 04:46 PM
animalnut

at the cost of replacement parts it seems doable I just have to figure out the fly bar linkage and has anyone pulled the top rotor off to see if they can lift themselves?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 PM
soloboss

going back to the larger CX, the answer is no, one rotor won't lift the helicopter.
But the MCX is more gnat-like and it is possible.
Years ago when a bunch of us started working the CX into a bit of a performer, we did the obvious. We all bought one and started the modifications and posted our results. Heck, you may get lucky and find someone who will try your ideas and report back - It's ALWAYS worth asking!

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:53 PM
J-MICHAEL

I vote for Choppersrule to be the guinea pig for this idea....
Old 11-14-2008, 07:06 PM
NICKYBENZ

hhaha i was thinking about it all too.. but just thought it would be easier to spend 250 on a mini already built already i saw one in the hobbie shop i go to ita a lil bigger then the mcx but has same controls as the cp .. ill find out the name when i crash again lol[:@]
Old 11-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Wnuk

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

I'll second that motion. All in favor, say "Aye"!!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:27 PM
choppersrule

Jeff-Michael and Jim / Wnuk,

I see you guys. LMAO... I'll take the challenge, only if you guys supply an endless budget for parts. (Take that!)

Hard to get the OLD guys isn't it?

Take care and have fun, good idea, but I just don't think it would work.

Dave
ORIGINAL: Wnuk

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

I'll second that motion. All in favor, say "Aye"!!
Old 11-15-2008, 08:19 AM
soloboss

Nicky, watch those little collective pitch helicopters. They are more than a handful. Make sure you see the store droid demo the one you are looking at. And while he is flying, watch his fingers on the sticks. My guess is that you fly your butt of just to hover.

Dave, you have most of the stuff that you need, and someone will send you the bits you are missing - when you figure out what they might be! When you get close send us photos.