Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

mCX USB Charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:34 PM
KE4NYV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mCX USB Charger

The first boards for my new mCX USB charger showed up while I was away for Thanksgiving. I got back today to find them waiting on me.

After building up a couple test units, I managed to charge and run through about 4 cycles with my standard mCX batteries. The charge time is a little slow (~55 minutes for me) but that is mainly due to the fact that the USB port of a computer only supplies +5VDC and the LiPo charging controller is limited to 100mA when using USB power.

The charger is pretty simple. Plug into a USB port of a computer, plug the other end into the charger and then plug in the battery. The STAT LED will light to show charging and then go out when charging is complete.

Here is a picture of one unit charging a battery:

I plan to have these available for sale possibly this week. The charger will come assembled with a heat-shrinked covering. I will offer the charger with and without a 24" USB A to Mini B cable. I have not set prices yet.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:33 PM
JPEE

Default RE: mCX USB Charger

Well Done Sir!

JPee
Old 11-29-2008, 10:51 PM
choppersrule

KE4NYV.

Excellent, I like that idea. Even though a tad slow in charging. With multiple USB ports you could charge a host of batteries.
Questions, where did you get the charger and may I also ask the price?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

]
Old 11-30-2008, 12:09 AM
shwillbur7

my mind is blown.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:34 AM
KE4NYV

ORIGINAL: JPEE

Well Done Sir!
Thank you!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:37 AM
KE4NYV

ORIGINAL: choppersrule

With multiple USB ports you could charge a host of batteries.
I have a four-port version in the works as we speak. This version will work directly from 12VDC, which allows the controller to charge at a slightly faster rate.

Questions, where did you get the charger and may I also ask the price?
I created the charger circuit, board and I assemble them here in my shop. Price has not been set, but I am expecting it to be sub-$20. With or without the USB cable will be the price determining factor.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:17 PM
KE4NYV

Just an update. I have successfully used one of my Garmin GPS USB chargers that plug into an AC socket to power the USB charging board and charge two batteries. I also tested my TomTom charger just for some variety.

This should work with just about any AC USB charger for the numerous devices that use this connector for charging. The USB standard is for +5VDC and the pin is standard, so they should all work.

One thing I have not tested yet is one of those Belkin lighter plug USB adapters. These are basically a lighter plug with a female USB A socket that will accept the USB A to Mini B cable. I expect it to work, but I would like to test this first before I give it the thumbs up.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:44 PM
choppersrule

KE4NYV,

Keep us posted on the progress, another very interesting project you have going on. Post pictures when you have the time.

Thanks,

Dave
================================================== ==================================

ORIGINAL: KE4NYV

Just an update. I have successfully used one of my Garmin GPS USB chargers that plug into an AC socket to power the USB charging board and charge two batteries. I also tested my TomTom charger just for some variety.

This should work with just about any AC USB charger for the numerous devices that use this connector for charging. The USB standard is for +5VDC and the pin is standard, so they should all work.

One thing I have not tested yet is one of those Belkin lighter plug USB adapters. These are basically a lighter plug with a female USB A socket that will accept the USB A to Mini B cable. I expect it to work, but I would like to test this first before I give it the thumbs up.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 PM
KE4NYV

At this point, I have two products in the works:

1. mCX Single Cell USB Charger

2. mCX Four Port DC Powered Charger

According to some discussion on other boards, it looks like my charger will work for the Vapor batteries as well.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Steve Joblin

KE4NYV - can you offer a version with a male USB port on one end that will plug directly into my computer's USB port and have the battery plug into the other side of the board? That way, no cable is needed... have the PCB just plug direclty into the USB port!

thoughts?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:16 PM
KE4NYV

KE4NYV - can you offer a version with a male USB port on one end that will plug directly into my computer's USB port and have the battery plug into the other side of the board? That way, no cable is needed... have the PCB just plug direclty into the USB port!

thoughts?
Steve,

Yeah, I think that is a possibility, but the only problem I see is with the fact that it would stick out of the computer about 4" inches and increases the chance for it to be caught on clothes, hands, ect. and break the connectors off. I'll give it some thought and see if maybe I can some up with somthing a little better design-wise.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:43 PM
[]TEX[]

This is pretty cool indeed!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:39 PM
glenawil

KE4NYV,

Are you selling these? If so, how does one order?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 12-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

Since the stock charger uses 6v to charge the batteries (four 1.5v AA batteries), I was hoping to find a way to make an adapter to use with my ICE charger. It is made to run on 12v DC power (I use a computer power supply when I'm near a plug), but if I can charge receiver batteries then I should be able to power the 6v charger and avoid using the AA battery set-up, right? My knowledge about such things is limited. []

Could you make an adapter for that application? I would be willing to buy one rather than test my own design.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:46 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

If you can find the battery connector pigtail (PKZ3052) you could make a small haness that would plug directly into your charger. I plan to buy some of these chargers when done but also make up a few harnesses to use with my current chargers.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:05 PM
wbrosen
My Feedback: (7)

The USB seems OK - but how about a charger for the MCX that has alligator clips to hook into a standard 12v output 0 could then work from any power source and might charge faster.