Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

CX2 Extreme upgrade problems

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

CX2 Extreme upgrade problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:32 PM
rmoore7167

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CX2 Extreme upgrade problems

I purchased a few weeks ago an extreme upgrade kit. It came withThis Kit Includes:

Sport Conversion Kit A: Canopy w/ black/silver Decals

Skids Kit

Carbon Fiber Boom Kit

NEW Xtreme SE Motors

Xtreme CNC Bearing Housing

CNC Extended Upper Head

CNC Blade Grips

The problem....It is totally unstable. I took to a local shop....Of course they werent too happy about me coming in with a competitive set up...but I dont feel too bad I bought 2 MCX helis from them for xmas gifts...anyway. I cant even hover..neither could heli guy at shop. He originally thought was tail heavy so I bought a lighter set up ...but to no avail. So I systematically removed everything one by one to see if would help..no good. I finally began to think perhaps gyro/reciever was bad so started completely over. It flew great. I added the motors from kit and it started flying strange again (which makes no sense to me) I removed motors put originals back in and reassembled unti utilized all of the upgrades except original body and motors that came with cx2. It seems a little better but cant even hover well. I tried tightening blades completely tight and also somewhat loose...no difference. any ideas at all?? I even practiced on real flight some of the higher end helis...like the Trex 400 etc and was able to hover and do some basic moves...Im at wits end here! I have a bloody fortune in this little guy...I really like the cx2 in original form it was a great trainer. thanks in advance
Old 12-20-2008, 06:32 PM
CarbonUnit

Default RE: CX2 Extreme upgrade problems

What is very very important about Heli's is BALANCE.

Make sure that your flybar is PERFECTLY balanced prior to install....not to easy to do unless your good a fabricating two small pieces of thin aluminum about 2 inches long and nor more that 1 inch wide, each bent at 90 degrees in the middle and sanding and/or fine filing the top portion of each piece razor sharp... this is top surface where you will place you flybar on it's tips by simply securing the L-shapes with a little Scotch tape on a table.....like this _! !_ check out this link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804473

The width that you'll have to spread the razor surfaces depends on the width needed to rest the flybar tips (where the clevis's clip on to).

Once you're done, then you'll have to reposition the balancer for your main rotor blades. Remove the blades of the heli and reattach them back as if it were on the chopper. Balance the main setup by adding small strips of Scotch Tape near the ends of the blades ON THE UNDERSIDE. Do this until the blade setup is perfectly level and do both the lower and upper blades

CHECK YOUR MOTORS AT THE PINION when you screw them to the frame.
THERE MUST BE ABSOLUTELY NO BINDING!

A possibility of binding is when the motor pinion gear is TOO tight against the main shaft gear. There must be the SLIGHTEST freeplay between the teeth of both gears...this is called Gear Lash. If it's to tight, not only will it not run right but it'll quickly wear out the plastic main gear[:@]...likewise.... it can't be sloppy loose also...same problems! Good eyes come into play here, so adjust until it's SMOOTH

Make sure that the outer shaft is has NO UP AND DOWN movement! Adjust that by the collar under the heli. Cinch up but don't BIND UP[>:]

You must TRACK you upper blades to the best of the choppers' ability. Do so by unclipping the flybar clevis...give it a half turn to whatever way is necessary. Reinstall and turn on heli in a slow run on the table and checking the TRACKING again. Do so until both tips " meet in the air at the same spot" when they're turning. BTY....it's not necessary to Track the lower blades 'cause they're "fixed in"

Remember...... no wobbles in the main shafts, inner and outer, tracked blades, balanced flybar and balanced mains.

One major caution that is overlooked........THE FLYBAR MUST ALSO BE STRAIGHT.....THIS CAN NEVER BE OVER EXAGGERATED.....STRAIGHT...period[8D]....remember this....it's almost always the flybar that will cause "Toilet Bowl Effect (TBE)" if it's not "True".....treat your shafts, blades, clevis's and flybar with the uttermost RESPECT.

Another thing about the flybar is how it easily gets damaged by removing the top clevis to the flybar. The flybar center is made of PLASTIC....and it gets easily damaged by PRYING IT OFF with all kinds of things that people use to try and remove the clevis. By doing it wrong could lead to BINDING...YUPPP there we go again![>:]. The flybar has to be VERY FREE AND ABSOLUTELY NO BINDING when you re-install it back into it's saddle at the top of the rotorhead....and make sure no damage to the clevis and the ball and again NO BINDING....FREEEEEEEEEEE IS THE word but not SLOPPLY[&:]

The BLADES.....yes the blades MUST BE FLAT....check out this youtube link on how to flatten the blades by BOILING them in water...WHAT???????.......chect it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNv8OlG6GQ
....no...it's not a trick and no the blades will not melt, they'll just be more pliable so when you take em atta the boiling water then immediately check and give little twists until the blade sits perfectly flat on its leading and trailing edges. DO IT.

Try the chopper afta all that and have fun.....

.......and check out more links........

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6994688/tm.htm

Old 12-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Sucka-Lemon

What EXACTLY does your heli do? Does it spin in circles like a toilet flush or is it just unstable? If you can tell me this i may be able to help.

Lemon.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:55 PM
killerdino

you have bent drive shafts if there even a little off you loose a huge amount of thrust. also check your battery voltage. if ya trashed the lipo your done.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
AH-64_d

Since the new motors did not fare well, did you break them in before using them? If not, read about it here - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5628228/tm.htm
Old 02-24-2009, 09:19 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: AH-64_d

Since the new motors did not fare well, did you break them in before using them? If not, read about it here - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5628228/tm.htm
That link came in very handy for me, I plugged a C size battery (1.5 volts) and taped both - and + to the battery 1 hour. After I was done with both Xtreme motors I ran them on two C size batteries (3.0 volts) for another hour, after that the brushes were not arching nearly as much when the motors were new!

During the brush break-in process you can hear the motors change RPM's and sound pitch, I broke-in my new motors with the silver brushes. These motors for some reason would not run on 4.5 volts or three C size batteries, its like they didn't know which direction to turn or something... ? I would also recommend a carbon fiber flybar and titanium inner shaft if you haven't already, its nice to know that my flybar can't be bent ever. As for the titanium inner shafts, they hold up when the stock shafts don't.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:22 PM
rmoore7167

Please note that the reference to Extreme is incorrect. The post should say CX2 Xtreme.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:55 PM
systemlord

I'm assuming you retrimmed you Proportional Mix Trimmmer Pot to compensate for the increase in power, as its most likely off now. If you are using a plastic lower rotor head then sure you'll have problems, because those heavy Xtreme blade grips are causing those pegs on the plastic lower head to flex. I know I learned that to, you did not do the proper research for this upgrade.