Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Thinking of buying a Blade 400

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Thinking of buying a Blade 400

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:49 PM
SycoCell
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of buying a Blade 400

Looks like i won the B400. This one isn't the carbon one, but it has some spare parts, so I can't complain. Here is link to show ya:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123
Old 02-26-2009, 03:52 PM
SycoCell

Opps, I lost. That's okay though, wasn't exactly the one that I hoped for. There is 1 more ending in 2 hours I am going to go for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140303119281
Old 02-26-2009, 04:01 PM
rotarydoc

Sean,

I was looking at that one, thinking it was the one you were bidding on, but it was 3 hours out..

It looks like the guy is very honest and trustworthy, he's got great feedback... and is honest about the radio and D/R switch...

Good luck...

Glenn
Old 02-26-2009, 04:43 PM
magilla12

I have a sim, I just need to spend some time with it, I can fly the sim pretty well, but I can't hover worth a crap..I'll keep practiceing. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:18 PM
rotarydoc

magilla,

You are welcome...

And yeah, sounds like a plan....try to do some more simming...practice, practice, practice...lol...

To be honest, chances are, if you are having probs hovering on the sim, it won't be much easier in real life, unless you have a very large helicopter, or a coaxial...

And it's free to crash on the sim!!

Have fun!

Glenn
Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Martone

Syco

Be happy someone else got it. You can by a brand new one with DX6i from www.ultimatehobbies.com for $349 shipped. You were about to pay that for a broken one. You should listen to me, if you are going to spend that kind of money at least LOOK at the website. I don't know why anyone would by another B400 from anywhere else. What evenr happen good luck.

Vinnie
Old 02-26-2009, 08:13 PM
SycoCell

Yeah, I see what you mean Vinnie. I realized that, but luckily I didn't win. I'm bidding on one more. It has tons of accessories and even a tote bag. So we'll see how this one goes in the next 30 mins.

Thanks though!

Sean
Old 02-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Martone

The other ebay one looks alright. Either way you will be an r/c heli pilot here soon!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 PM
SycoCell

Didn't win it, besides, didn't want to pay that much anyway..So tomorrow i'm going to my LHS and checking out what's up. They are all into RC Flying. (High Fly Hobbies)- thus the name
Old 02-26-2009, 10:33 PM
bad400

my lhs sell`s the blade 400 for $389 plus tax i think it was like $429 out the door
i had got some blades and feathering shafts too
oh yeah and some main shafts and servo gears
Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 PM
hrdcoreglf

I bought my B400 with no prior heli experience. I have been in surface RC for a while. I crashed the very first attempt. Printed out RADDs school of rotory flight, followed it to the T. Was hovering a full pack in ten sessions. It was funny, you get this heli and you don't relize you have to learn how to fly. You wouldn't just jump in to a full scale heli and expect to be able to fly and land, but for some reason as soon as you get it you want to fly it. I bought mine slightly used from hobemart on ebay for $280.00 shipped. It had 3 defective servos so it was being sold as used. I bought three hitech 65's for $23 on ebay and had a killer heli.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:05 AM
SycoCell

I see people upgrade ESC's to sometimes 40amp. The B400 comes with the 25amp one. Will it be needed to upgrade? Will the ESC burn out fast because it might be cheap? I again know nitro gear very well. Electric is new to me.

What can I expect to burn out fast as far as elctronics? Maybe an estimate in flights would be great if possible. Obviously I know that parts will break, but as far as electronics? Also, what kind of maintence is involved in the B400?

Sorry for the 21 questions, I just have a few days until I purchase one (if i do) and want to be 100% sure.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:35 PM
evdreamer

The only time a ESC will go up in flames is if it is under rated for the motor. I usually get an ESC with a max current rating higher than the max current rating of the motor.

The only thing that would probably burn out is the ESC and BEC, but like I said if they are capable of supplying the current you won't have a problem. The electric aircraft will be a lot more reliable than the nitros. Just let the electronics cool down between flights and that will help them last longer.

The only electronics you will probably need to replace is the servos over time. After a few hundred flights the brushes in the servo motors will wear out. I had to replace a servo after 250 flights. The main motor will pretty much last a life time. You will have to do maintanence on the motor bearings and all other bearings. Also check for belt wear and make sure the pushrod links aren't loose enough to come off with a little bit of force. The main maintenace I run into is keeping the bearings turning smoothly. Keep an eye on mainshaft bearings because they will usually be the first ones to get notchy. Then thrust bearings like to throw the grease out of them, so every once in awhile put some more grease in them.

Nick
Old 02-27-2009, 01:04 PM
SycoCell

Wow! Sounds like the heli will last a long time! I'm sold! Thanks for the info.

-Sean
Old 02-28-2009, 01:08 PM
BadLemon
My Feedback: (37)

Last night I flew my buddies B400 in my basement fort the first time all I can say is WOW what a nice machine. Last week I went to my LHS to get some part for my blade cp but ended up buying a CPPRO 2 but i did looked at a B400RTF. They where selling them for $400.00 but I already have a DX6i radio and receiver so I want to buy a PNP kit but they didn't have them instock. They will have some more in stock in a couple if weeks just in time when my income tax check will be here. Can't what!!
Old 02-28-2009, 01:26 PM
9sec240

ORIGINAL: SycoCell

Wow! Sounds like the heli will last a long time! I'm sold! Thanks for the info.

-Sean
SycoCell,

I would highly suggest a DX7 or DX7se and a PNP kit. There are a lot of issues with the DX6i right now. I had two bad ones in a row. If you are set on buying one, I will be selling one of my B400s shortly. The one I will be selling is about 3 weeks old, has 5 packs through it and has not been crashed. I am picking up some upgrade parts for my second one and will continue flying with it.

Let me know if you are interested.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:36 PM
SycoCell

PM Sent.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Bijan999
My Feedback: (2)

You'll love the B400, it's the best deal going in RC IMO.

I have around 100 flights on mine, one minor crash (didn't even break the blades). It's 100% stock, no upgrades are needed for excellent performance. Anyone that says you need to upgrade the stock servos crashes too much.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:07 PM
HarleyDave

ORIGINAL: Bijan999

You'll love the B400, it's the best deal going in RC IMO.

I have around 100 flights on mine, one minor crash (didn't even break the blades). It's 100% stock, no upgrades are needed for excellent performance. Anyone that says you need to upgrade the stock servos crashes too much.
I agree. The B-400 is a great heli for what it is. I've probably got over 200 flights on mine and its done pretty good, although in the beginning I had one of the stock servos jam in flight and resulted in a crash. No biggie, just replaced them with some JR's and everything has been smooth sailing since. There's a good number of fellers on Helifreak that have had the servos fail and it was done in flight. My 2 cents says its better to replace them now than later however. Do a search and you'll see. Other than that it will serve you well and performs 3-D aerobatics fairly well but only half the performance of what my Trex V2's put out. For someone getting into the hobby I would recommend it. Learn it, crash it, fix it, and when your ready for the real deal get ya a Trex and you'll be amazed.

Dave
Old 03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Calman2k

Hi All

I've been watching the last few posts and thought I'd put in my 2 cents (or 3 or 4). I flew fixed wing for about 6 years before starting college and couldn't afford it any more, that and the developers thought that houses were a good replacement for R/C Runways. College found me with an empty wallet. But now I'm graduated, and married to someone who lets me indulge in my thirst for small R/C flying things. My latest obsession is my Blade 400. I did a ton of research and found it to be the best value. Not only do you get a heli ready to fly (this can also be a bad thing if you crash, find out from your LHS how to set up the head before you even fly it) but you also get the Tx, which is worth a quite a bit in itself. This is my first real heli, ever. After I bought the heli I got FSOne for my sim since it had a wireless connection to the dx6i so I could use my own Tx. Its helped quite a bit.

As to CF or not, for beginner I would stay away from it. For your helicopter's sake and for the sake of the things you fly near. My first and only crash was bumping the stick and watching it fly too high. I panicked and dropped the stick, which dropped the heli. It whacked my car, broke the blades, bent the main and feathering shafts and stripped gears in my servos. Good news, since all that broke, no damage to the car, and only about $40 in repairs. In the engineering biz, they call parts that break on purpose a sacrificial part, they work. Stick with plastic. Took it to a guy to fix, only to find out he didn't fix it right, had to do it myself, hence learning how to set up the head.

You can start with a Blade 400. Just go slow. I found a training system on rchelicopterfun.com. I think it would really help. You can also get a guide from the guy who set up the site that will show you how to set up the Tx for learning on.

Good luck.