Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

CX2 transmitter

Old 03-31-2009, 11:27 AM
cadman22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CX2 transmitter

Hi everyone, I was just looking through all the posts for a threads that I saw once about a mod on the transmitter for the CX2. It was either a series of pcitures or a link to a youtube video where they showed how to remove a spring from the transmitter so that the throttle would not have that "ratcheting" feeling it does out of the box. But instead would have a smooth feel like a DX6 or DX7 transmitter. Which would allow for more fine throttle adjustments. I wanted to be sure that removing the spring would not affect the left to right recentering of the stick as well as the throttle when its removed before I go and take it out. I've looked all over the forum here and did a youtube search and can't find it anymore. So I was hoping if one of you have done the mod. Thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 11:34 AM
dbatman

Default RE: CX2 transmitter

I didn't take the spring out , I just turned the metal tab over. Put the bump up .
Old 03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: cadman22

Hi everyone, I was just looking through all the posts for a threads that I saw once about a mod on the transmitter for the CX2. It was either a series of pcitures or a link to a youtube video where they showed how to remove a spring from the transmitter so that the throttle would not have that "ratcheting" feeling it does out of the box. But instead would have a smooth feel like a DX6 or DX7 transmitter. Which would allow for more fine throttle adjustments. I wanted to be sure that removing the spring would not affect the left to right recentering of the stick as well as the throttle when its removed before I go and take it out. I've looked all over the forum here and did a youtube search and can't find it anymore. So I was hoping if one of you have done the mod. Thanks

Like dbatman said to help get rid of the ratchet you can flip the tab over, or some have even just slipped a piece of fuel tubing over the sleeve, and then there are the ones who just ground out the divits on the tab.

Soloboss went over this on his CX2 Wiki set-up guide, but it seems the link is still not vaild so I can't link ya to it... I have removed the rudder spring back in the days of my CX2 and it will not return to center for your left to right movements like you were wondering. The beauty of it not doing that, is that once ya got the CX2 tuned as good as you can with no yaw with the spring, removing the spring then keeps the slight yaw diffs that you can get from other variables no longer noticeable as it keeps the nose tamed from the constant minor yaw drift. I also did this with my CPP stock TX and works great. Keep in mind this was for the older CX/CX2 versions that didn't have the HH gyro like the new CX3 has. Hope this makes sense...

This would be a good mod for the more experienced CX2 flyer, but for a new guy letting it re-center might be better. I don't like it to recenter for the CX2 as I'am constantly flying around all over anyway, and have no desire for it to re-center itself unless I was going for a hands off hover with a perfectly set-up CX2 and wanting the nose to stay in place, but even then there known to create a slight drift in the yaw. Kinda confusing, but someone may be able to explain it better, as there were many who did this mod awhile back during the CX2 craze here on RCU.

Hope this may help ?

~ Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17116.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1169859  
Old 03-31-2009, 01:41 PM
soloboss

The is the link that Shane is supporting through Rotortech.ca http://www.rotortech.ca/CX2/
It's been working fine for me and seems to be stable. And it does have the photo of the spring locations and the ratchet bar. It's sort of nice to know what's in there before a newbie opens it up for the first time.

Here's a little video that I added to show how to help failsafe the throttle if you take the ratchet bar off. We DO NOT want the throttle to engage accidentally.
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL10L0QwUAQ]Cx Tx Safety[/link]
Old 04-01-2009, 11:20 AM
cadman22

Thanks for the info Jeff, sounds like for now I'd be better off leaving the TX alone until I get a bit more confident with the CX2. But you brought up something that I was wondering about. I have my CX2 trimed in pretty well, but I still get a bit of yaw drift. Seems like that's actually normal for the CX2. I've been kind of going nuts on and off trying to trim it to get it perfectly rock stable. I was always under the impression that you could get CX2 to hover perfect by itself and even go hands off the Tx with zero drift in any direction. So I've been spending much of my time trying to tune it in to be that steady. Looks like from now on I can stop "beating myself up" trying to get it perfect, and just get used to compensating for the drift with rudder (yaw) input on the Tx. As I said in one of the other threads, I eventually want to upgrade my CX2 with some aluminum parts and possiblely the xtreme motors and blades, and Thunder Power LiPos. One of the other things I was thinking of doing is replacing the 3 in 1 with the head hold gyro from the CX3. I'm hoping that along with the aluminum parts adding some weight will make it a bit safer to fly outside. I really don't have room in the house to fly there until I get better at flying. Right now I'm going to the LHS to use their indoor RC track area when no one is running their cars. So I would like to take it outside, but I had a bad crash experance the last time I tried it. So I've been waitng until I'm more confident.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:11 PM
J-MICHAEL

cadman22 ~

I'am not sure if you tried Solo's link above for the CX2 Wiki, but if you have Interent Explorer it won't work. Firefox, Google Chrome and a few others will however. I just talked to Shane and showed him what happens when I click on it, so he's gonna work on it when he gets the chance... Just so ya know...

Hey... You might find this interesting and Solo remembers this, but back in the day with our CX2's we had a "hands off hover" challenge by a few and its kinda interesting to see who had the best hands off hover doing a video. Check out the links below and you can see how well you should at least get your CX2 to perform hands off if you were curious...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7008320

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6690525/tm.htm

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Old 04-01-2009, 07:40 PM
cadman22

Those are some great vids there Jeff, especially powerlinked's video My CX2 is quite that stable yet, but at the same time I'm not that far off base either. So it does kind of make me fell less frustrated to know that even "pros" like you guys don't have a "completely stone stable" hover. Thanks again from the newbie.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Mack66

I didn't have any fuel tubing. Actually I didn't have any fuel. Or any airplane that require it.

So my wife (who knows nothing of this stuff) suggested a piece of a drinking straw, and on this rare occasion I took her advice. I cut a notch in the end of the straw where the screw tightens down on the metal strip to hold it in place.

It worked perfectly.

Mack
Old 04-02-2009, 08:51 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: Mack66

I didn't have any fuel tubing. Actually I didn't have any fuel. Or any airplane that require it.

So my wife (who knows nothing of this stuff) suggested a piece of a drinking straw, and on this rare occasion I took her advice. I cut a notch in the end of the straw where the screw tightens down on the metal strip to hold it in place.

It worked perfectly.

Mack
Dang good idea Mack ! +1 for the wifes idea for sure......

Here's Shane's updated link for the CX2 Wiki from Soloboss corrected to work with Internet Explorer that he posted in the other thread for anyone that was having problems before :

http://www.rotortech.ca/CX2/index.html

All fixed for those of you running Internet Explorer. My bad for not testing the current page with IE. Worked well in Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. No more requesting a save download.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:02 AM
soloboss

Thanks for giving the CX site a push, Jeff. Not being an internet explorer user, I never gave it a thought.
I do recall the hands off hover challenge but I didn't look for the links. I'm sure the new guys appreciate those vids. Cool stuff.
You're always there for the forum, no matter what level the flier is. Gotta like that. Nice work.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 AM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: soloboss

Thanks for giving the CX site a push, Jeff. Not being an internet explorer user, I never gave it a thought.
I do recall the hands off hover challenge but I didn't look for the links. I'm sure the new guys appreciate those vids. Cool stuff.
You're always there for the forum, no matter what level the flier is. Gotta like that. Nice work.

Thanks Mark... I'am just one of many like yourself keeping the spirit alive ya know ?! SO MANY have helped me when I started out as you did, and "paying it forward" is something I feel obligated to do, not to mention helping in keeping my knowledge in tune... So glad your Wiki site is back !

See ya on the flip side,

~ Jeff
Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 AM
cadman22

Well I'd like to thank all of you who have "been there and done that" for taking the time to shairing your knowledge with those of us who are just starting out. Its great to know there's someplace I can go to get an honest opinion or help whenever I have a question or problem. Having a knowledge base like this is a wonderful asset. But I'm still a bit unclear on the Tx question. If I either flip the clip over or cover it with the tubing or straw to get rid of the throttle "click", will the yaw control still recenter?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:18 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: cadman22

Well I'd like to thank all of you who have "been there and done that" for taking the time to shairing your knowledge with those of us who are just starting out. Its great to know there's someplace I can go to get an honest opinion or help whenever I have a question or problem. Having a knowledge base like this is a wonderful asset. But I'm still a bit unclear on the Tx question. If I either flip the clip over or cover it with the tubing or straw to get rid of the throttle "click", will the yaw control still recenter?

Yes it will still recenter for ya... The spring is in charge of that, so if you keep the spring installed your good to go. The ratchety affect is the only change from doing to fuel tubing/straw method or flipping it.

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Old 04-05-2009, 11:16 AM
cadman22

OK thanks Jeff.