Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Two bolts on main shaft.... special steel or not?

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Two bolts on main shaft.... special steel or not?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 PM
rotarydoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Two bolts on main shaft.... special steel or not?

Robert,

I agree with jon, you may have not had the blades extended equally, and they may have been too tight, or too loose, either one can do it....the blades, if not pretty equally extended, will cause the entire heli to wobble severly on spool up, sometimes tipping it over...did you have the training gear on?

The other thing that can happen is if you take off from grass...the skids can get hung up quite easily in the grass or roots, twigs, etc, and make for a very exciting lift off!! And sometimes, an ugly one...some guys use a "heli pad" made from an old door mat, or carpet sample to take along if they are taking off from grass...it happens to me on a regular basis, (skids getting snagged) as jon said, it'll get routine with enough practice and experience (aka crashes/tip overs)...

Don't get discouraged; we have all been there...and I have never been involved with a hobby that has so many ups and downs...some days you just feel like throwing in the towel....and others, you (at least I do) get almost ecstatic at your accomplishments!!

I also agree with jon's method of checking blade grip tightness....you want them stiff in the grips, but not so tight that they won't give way fairly easily when you try to move them...it comes with time and experience.

I think you are fine posting in this thread, the mods don't seem too picky about off thead/topic conversations, but if you want, you could open a new one..it's really up to you...

Glenn

Old 07-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Wolfpackin

I'm not sure what I'm trying to achieve with the trim. On the coaxial I had it was easy. I just adjusted it until it would stay in a hover, but with the b400 on the sim it seems like the trim only works at a very narrow window. If I hover 4 feet off the ground I can make it stay still. If I raise the elevation a little then I start to drift again. Is that normal? What should I be trying to achieve or how do I dial the trim in the right way?
Sounds like you need to level your swashplate and eliminate/reduce CCPM interactions.
The best way to do this is with a swashplate leveling tool, IMO.
Use the tool to level the swash at 1/2 stick by making linkage adjustments.
Then level the swash at low and high stick using endpoint adjustments, this reduces the CCPM interactions.

If the swash is level at half stick and throughout the collective range then external trim is usually not needed assuming good COG.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:48 PM
thefirefli

Thanks again. I tightened up my blades, and bought a new main drive gear with bearing. I noticed that it is not lubed like the one that was stock. Upon reading in the forums I learned that some don't lube them at all some use oil, which I don't think is wise, and someone else said to use red lithium grease. That looks like what was on the original. What do you guys suggest for the oneway bearing? If Iuse the grease do Ijust rub a little on the inside?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:16 PM
rotarydoc

Robert,

Good to hear that you are rebuilding, and that you caught the missing tooth on the main gear, which is easy to overlook...

I just use some grease that I have from my Trex 500 kit, it's Align one way bearing grease....looks like clear silicone type grease of some type...I would imagine any good lithium based grease would be fine...I would not use oil, I agree with you on that...

I would just dab a bit on the I.D. of the bearing, a little goes a long way, you don't really want it slinging out all over everything...just work a bit into the bearing, and install.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted!

Glenn
Old 07-29-2009, 07:00 PM
thefirefli

Well I'm feeling a little stupid here, but Idon't know what I.D. is.

Also, as surprising as it may seem, I just talk to someone from e-flite and they recomended not to use grease since it is a oneway bearing. They said maybe just a little bit of oil but that's it!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:53 PM
jon6565

I tend to agree with the last recommendation you were given. The one way bearing needs to bite into the shaft (of the lower tail gear). I don't put anything on mine.... however it did have something in there as standard.

I.D. = Inside Diameter (i.e. onthe "inside")
O.D. = Outside Diameter

Generally refers to something with a hole in the middle!

Jon
Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 PM
rotarydoc

Robert,

LOL, that is interesting!

I have noticed that the replacement gear/bearing assembly comes with little to no lube...

Yet Align includes specific one way bearing grease in their kits (same basic one way bearing, they all work the same)...

So, who knows???

It will probably be fine with a little dab of something, it is after all, a bearing....

I'm gonna leave it all up to you!!! Seems like it's kinda a personal preference thing anyways!!

jon covered the I.D. and O.D. thing perfectly...this is used alot with bearing measurements...sorry if I wasn't more clear...

Have fun!

Glenn
Old 07-29-2009, 08:43 PM
thefirefli

One more for ya, thrust bearins, grease or oil?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 PM
jon6565

Probably directed at Glenn - but for my 5c I would always go with grease. Oil is just too messy and moves away from where you first put it. A decent high temp grease will stay in the right spot.

I need new bearings.

JOn
Old 07-29-2009, 11:53 PM
rotarydoc

+1 on what jon said...

I use the aformentioned Align one way grease, it's quite thick, and stays where you put it...

I have heard of some guys using lithium grease as well...I would deff stay away from oil, too much centrifugal force involved, would just sling it out...

Glenn
Old 08-01-2009, 02:10 AM
thefirefli

I already rebuilt it before I read your replies. I did not use grease on the oneway bearing, but Imay go pick up some of that Alighn oneway grease and give it a try. Wolfpackin, Idon't really understand how to make adjustments to the endpoints. I need to research that one a little bit.Just by sight Isuspect the swash is a little off.

Today, Iused up a whole battery just hovering and moving the heli foward, back and side to side. It went very well. However I noticed towards the end of the battery the heli wanted to turn to the right or left more. I actually forgot which way! The tail didn't wag, I did not use any trim adjustments, but Idid have to hold the stick more than when the heli was new. It seemed when it was new it really stayed fixed in the direction it was pointed to. Could it be becauseone of my links need to be adjusted or the gyro acting up? Possibly the swash or maybe the pitch? I'd appreciate anymore advice you can throw my way since Ifind myself lost often in this new hobby.

Thanks again for your help. It's been better than going to any of the LHS's I've been to.

Robert