Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade MCX S300

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:06 AM
eric1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade MCX S300

Hi all, I just purchased a MCX S300 and being my first helicopter of any type I decided to read the manual first. Hearing how idiot proof this thing was before I bought it I almost skipped this step. Feeling kind of stupid now as the manual has me confused.

MODE? The manual shows a picture of "mode1" and "mode2"but never gives you any idea which it is in out of the box (unless I missed it) or which I should use. To further complicate things, doing a google search brought up some stuff where people referred to mode on this helicopter as coming one way or the other (like maybe the MCX differs from the S300) and to further complicate those complications, I read where the mode refers to the dual rate, though the manual shows it changing what controls what???

I've been into RC cars and trucks for 20 years, but nothing that leaves the ground (except via ramp lol). I'm out of my element here and starting to wonder if I should even take this thing out of the box.

I'd really appreciate some help!

Thanks,
eric
Old 05-22-2009, 02:32 AM
eric1969

Default RE: Blade MCX S300

UPDATE: GOOD NEWS!! : )

Getting a sense I made this post too late at night to get a fast answer, I decided to give her a whirl. Having half understoof the manual (at best), decided I'd test durability. Keeping in mind I've never even seen a RC helicopter flown....

Sat it on the floor in the middle of the living room. Gave it throttle very slowly... It just toppled over. attempt 2 and 3 the same. Then I figured I'd try setting it on a hard back book instead of directly on the carpet. Plus gave it a little more "gas" on takeoff. BAM!!! I flew it for atleast 5 minutes straight and nver crashed it or sat it down once until I landed it safely on purpose.

Now, while I don't expect and applause or a trophy, I'd be lying if I didn't admit I feel just a little proud of myself. LOL! i'd be shocked if it's still in one piece by tomorrow night.

My questions have been partially answered on that flight. Controller appears to be in "mode2" as throttle was on the left like the 2 channel AM stick radios I've used on my ground rc's in the old days. Also I found out I was driving it in full dual rate as the LED glowed solid red (went back and read it blinks if the dual rate is set to restrict full movement).

I'm a little unsure if the trim is exactly right, but it appears it's good enough for now. I'm afraid to play with too much and get it all out of whack.

Having figured out my intitial questions let me ask a couple new ones:

1. If I decide to keep flight times with the stock battery to around 5 minutes, about how long will it take before it can be put back on charge (how can I tell)?
2. what do you recommend for a aftermarket battery and about how many do I need?
3. Am I to understand that this charger that comes with it is it, aside from the optional e-flight "4 at a time" charger? Or can you rig up other chargers? I have a Onyx 230 for my ground RC's. Does car/truck lipo..

Thanks,
Eric
Old 05-22-2009, 05:18 PM
mikejbb

Congrats on you flights! The mcx is a great heli.

ORIGINAL: eric1969
1. If I decide to keep flight times with the stock battery to around 5 minutes, about how long will it take before it can be put back on charge (how can I tell)?
I never wait, but some have said to let the battery cool down. My batteries in the mcx do not get the least bit warm during flight. The motors are another thing, they get quite hot and these are my 2nd set.

2. what do you recommend for a aftermarket battery and about how many do I need?
I have 17 working batteries. 13 are these:http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=139787, 2 are outrage, 1 is tenergy, 1 is stock. I fly until lvc not timed. The led blinks at lvc then the mcx drops pretty fast so go to full throttle as soon as you see the blinking and you'll land ok.

3. Am I to understand that this charger that comes with it is it, aside from the optional e-flight "4 at a time" charger? Or can you rig up other chargers? I have a Onyx 230 for my ground RC's. Does car/truck lipo..
Complete answer here: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=139901
__________________________________________________ ____
Mike

Blade mcx moded for outdoor flight
Function over ALL else
my photography http://BesPhoto.com
Old 05-22-2009, 05:19 PM
gi1mo2

I have the MCX and have purchased a 3 battery charger from RPC-electronics http://www.rpc-electronics.com/eheli/and charge up to 3 batteries independently. I did get the power supply, because I don't like spending money on batteries to charge other batteries. Doesn't make sense to me. I don't go in the field with the Heli - it's meant to be used indoors.

I have had the heli for 5 months and fly until the LED flashes, and that's longer than 5 minutes. I've never had any problem with my 3 batteries.

I have not had to trim that heli, only adjust it from the radio adjustments.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:14 AM
eric1969

Thanks guys. I will look into those links!

I went to buy 2 more batteries from the LHS today which only has the e-flight battery. They were $10 each but I needed to get my fill of copter action today. As things turned out, one of the batteries simply will not connect with the stock charger. the plug is messed up or something. The other 2 "snap" in just fine. I'm taking it back tomorrow for exchange. That ever happen to anyone else?

I have flown 9 packs worth. 4 yesterday and 5 today so far. I would guesstimate I have crashed about 18x now LOL. Heres the good news *knocks on wood* I have yet to break a single part in 18 crashes. I may be picking up a slight vibration from some very minute blade dings. The original blades still hanging in there. This thing is so fragile YET SO TOUGH!!! It really is amazing. I'm like the pickiest person I know when it comes to my ground RC's and I have to say this is one purchase I do not regret!

Now I just have to learn how to fix it when needed. I wish there was like a build guide rather than just an x-plode.

Sometimes when I crash it seems like I have to reset some of my trims. Is that normal? Might just be in  my head.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:53 PM
eric1969

After a few more sucessful flights, I got my first taste of helicopter parts breakage today! The beginning of the white "tail" (sorry don't know all the terminology yet) broke off clean where it goes into the square black piece. I think I know what part(s) I need but the hobby shop is closed till tuesday, bummer!

Question, if somebody understands me where I broke it, couldI ghetto rig it with scotch tape or rubber cement or something until Tuesday??? Or should I leave it alone? I first thought I could superglue it but that would ruin the black piece as well and cause me more headaches.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric
Old 05-25-2009, 09:30 AM
HG1980
Banned

This heli is awesome!

i love it!

Old 05-25-2009, 03:43 PM
TXtanker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey ken
Old 05-25-2009, 04:56 PM
arbiterchewbaccahybrid

I do not believe that you can change this setting I have had the Mcx since it first came out. I have tried every possible way to change the mode you can do this by rearranging the servos,but if you do not know what your doing I highly dissrecommend it.I learned that the hard way. I was playing around and reversed the polarity once triying to do this and to test I started off with a takeoff out of my hand ...

FLEW striaght into the ground.

ps. the mcx and mcxs300 are basically the same except the mcxs300 comes with a differnt boom a scale hughes 300 body and a set of white blades.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Eric, thanks for your post. I'm loving my S300. Need a boom connector 039 now, little miss hap or something snapped it. In 3 days I can't count how many flights, just a ton of fun. 
Thanks again for the links to extra batteries, I bought some common sense batteries at our LHS. 

Joe
Old 05-26-2009, 06:52 PM
CrashMeister
My Feedback: (4)

My wife is very amused by the fact that I fly 'missions'.  I make up a 'mission before starting so I have some purpose to the flying.

Example mission: 
Take off from coffee table;
fly into foyer (two stories high), fly up to light height and fly around the light, come back down;
fly into dining room (I have an upside down bowl on the table), land on the top of the bowl (without touching the sides). Take off;
fly back into lounge for a little nose-in eye-to-eye staring contest. Land on coffee table.

I really get a kick out of flying right in my face with the nose in. I've had to duck a few times, but putting your face on the line keeps the concentration going

I got this heli a couple of weeks ago (at the Joe Nall) and have been having a blast ever since.

Craig.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:31 PM
erkrystof

I know what you mean, it's a great little helicopter. Had to get one for Dad too.

These things can also take a beating... Flew it outside in the backyard (yes, I know, already not a good idea).... Was doing great, had it about 20 feet up, gust of wind came and blew it over to the front of the house about 30-35 feet high at that point. Ended up flying about a block away from my parent's house before my father found it in the street. Canopy was smashed, but it still flies like a champ!

I also decided to swap out for the glow in the dark parts. As I have an original MCX, I replaced the canopy with the new S300. I like the look of it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72906.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1209881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89672.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1209882  
Old 06-02-2009, 12:33 PM
djblubaugh1982

Talking about chargers i adapted the stock charger to work off of my venom charger that i use for my rc cars and it charges the battiers in 10mins. the batterys never get hot and i can discharge them as well.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:00 PM
HG1980
Banned

nice
Old 06-07-2009, 12:06 PM
CrashMeister

Details ?

I have thought about getting the 4 port, but if I can get the stock one to charge off my 1-3 cell charger that would be great.

Craig.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Stumblebee

I got the four port charger and it is just plain nice. At work, our R/C "club" of three members has two MCX and one S300 with twelve batteries between us. It is just so nice to just pop a battery off the charger when you need one and know it is ready. It gives you a LOT more air time. One warning. If you live in CANADA, do not, repeat do not buy the four port directly from Horizon. Horizon charges a reasonable amount for freight but UPS literally ROBSYOUBLIND on the brokerage into Canada. They nailed me for $40.00 "duty and brokerage". UPS are BANDITS with their brokerage fees into Canada. Stick to your LHS.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:21 PM
CrashMeister

Another warning when buying the four port charger. The power supply that you can get to run it off the mains has a sibling that looks EXACTLY like it, is also 1.5 amps, but is 12V instead of 6V. I ordered the wrong one by mistake, the hobby shop did not notice the error (they were ordered together) and I now have a damaged 4 port charger and a power supply that is useless to me. I am out of pocket $60. The website has no warnings about checking if you are getting the correct version of the power supply.

So, I now need to repurchase them, but I'll be using a different store from now on. I know that may sound harsh, but I expect more from the folks I give my hard earned cash to.