Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

My first heli, E-flite Blade MSR! Questions.....

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

My first heli, E-flite Blade MSR! Questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Freezetron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first heli, E-flite Blade MSR! Questions.....

Ok, few months ago my girlfriends mom got me a basic coaxial helicopter named "Firefly" which was a basic dual rotor helicopter with duel red LED's that looked like a bug. Needless to say, I had alot of fun with it in between playing with my Savage Flux. I eventually wanted to get something a bit more controllable and I was close to buyin an MCX a few months ago when other things came up and I never got around to it. Flash forward to this week, I stopped by my LHS and I happen to see the new MSR sitting on the desk and I couldn't believe all the extra goodies it came with, not to mention how farking fast it flew around the shop! Needless to say, I bought one!

This being my first real helicopter, it's been a challenge to learn how to control this thing in my small apartment and has resulted in some nasty crashes. Still, I'm having lots of fun but i'm also getting alot of questions in my head in regards to operating/ maintaining something like this vs my monster truck.

1. Has anyone else noticed the strange "tilt" the rotor shaft has even out of the box? Is this normal? Is something wrong with mine?

2. I was amazed at how quickly the rotor blade holders broke after a few wipeouts in the wall. Is this normal for these to go quickly or am I just a crappy flyer?

3. Trimming this thing has been pretty hard, I can't seem to get it to stay in a straight hover mode. And suggestions on getting this thing to behave itself?

EDIT: Here's a video of my attempting to fly it after only a day of practice since owning it. Any suggestions or tips on how to keep this thing more stable or for me to improve on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK7GwAUjADU

Old 09-20-2009, 06:54 PM
9sec240

Default RE: My first heli, E-flite Blade MSR! Questions.....

ORIGINAL: IceWindius

Ok, few months ago my girlfriends mom got me a basic coaxial helicopter named ''Firefly'' which was a basic dual rotor helicopter with duel red LED's that looked like a bug. Needless to say, I had alot of fun with it in between playing with my Savage Flux. I eventually wanted to get something a bit more controllable and I was close to buyin an MCX a few months ago when other things came up and I never got around to it. Flash forward to this week, I stopped by my LHS and I happen to see the new MSR sitting on the desk and I couldn't believe all the extra goodies it came with, not to mention how farking fast it flew around the shop! Needless to say, I bought one!

This being my first real helicopter, it's been a challenge to learn how to control this thing in my small apartment and has resulted in some nasty crashes. Still, I'm having lots of fun but i'm also getting alot of questions in my head in regards to operating/ maintaining something like this vs my monster truck.

1. Has anyone else noticed the strange ''tilt'' the rotor shaft has even out of the box? Is this normal? Is something wrong with mine?

2. I was amazed at how quickly the rotor blade holders broke after a few wipeouts in the wall. Is this normal for these to go quickly or am I just a crappy flyer?

3. Trimming this thing has been pretty hard, I can't seem to get it to stay in a straight hover mode. And suggestions on getting this thing to behave itself?
1. Yes, this is normal.

2. This is one of the weak points on the MSR. You will need new blade grips and a spindle shaft kit for your missing brass spacers. The only other things that I have broken are the landing gear and the flybar.

3. It will never just sit there. It will never get trimmed out to the point that it will just sit there.. it will always have to contend with air currents... it will always be moving. However... you can get it to stay in one place for a few seconds hands off once trimmed out correctly... or for quite some time once you gain some skills.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Freezetron

1. Yes, this is normal.

2. This is one of the weak points on the MSR. You will need new blade grips and a spindle shaft kit for your missing brass spacers. The only other things that I have broken are the landing gear and the flybar.

3. It will never just sit there. It will never get trimmed out to the point that it will just sit there.. it will always have to contend with air currents... it will always be moving. However... you can get it to stay in one place for a few seconds hands off once trimmed out correctly... or for quite some time once you gain some skills.

I have the brass spacers, they didn't go anywhere, just the stupid blade grips broke. Hmm, so its basically to much ask to for this thing to sit completely still in the air, even from all the wind it generates itself?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:13 PM
9sec240

It will sit somewhat still but will end up moving in the direction it is trimmed to.. air moving around will make it move too. Heat and or AC blowing in my house moves it around.

Here is a video of mine flying in the living room.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STLHE-8xKCo[/youtube]

Stick your blade grips back on. The screws will hold it together enough to fly. It will blow apart again when you crash though. I have flown the crap out of mine this way.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Freezetron

Hmm, i'll try but I dunno...
Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 PM
kyle 9

ya i just bought this today, it is also my first heli, now the guy at the store said i could skip the mcx and fly this one. I flew the mcx at the store and it stayed pretty much prefect on hovering. Mine likes to go all over i guess and it doesnt take off strait up, it goes to the side. is there anyway to fix this.
Is this the trim?
wut is trim?
and how do u trim the msr properly?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 PM
9sec240

Once you have your heli hovering, you let go of the right stick and see what direction the heli wants to go. Then press the trim button on the transmitter in the opposite direction that the heli goes. Each time you press the button, it adds a bit more trim in that direction.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:22 PM
kyle 9

ORIGINAL: 9sec240

Once you have your heli hovering, you let go of the right stick and see what direction the heli wants to go. Then press the trim button on the transmitter in the opposite direction that the heli goes. Each time you press the button, it adds a bit more trim in that direction.
thank you so much
im gunna have to tryt it after school tmrw cant wait
thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 06:51 AM
kyle 9

is there any maintenace or cleaning i should do on the MSR?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Freezetron

Other then what you break, nope
Old 09-21-2009, 02:55 PM
klaze

The O.P looks like he's flying great for his first time.

Dunno what he could be complaining about.. It will NEVER be perfect..
Old 09-27-2009, 07:51 PM
kyle 9

im goin to go to my LHS and get some spare parts just so when i break i dont have to drive 45 minutes to get some. What are good spare parts to get? i was thinking about getting a set of main blades, tail boom and motor assembly, and a pack of main blade grips. is there anything else that i should get for spare parts? like what about the main gear? do those go easy? thanks.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: kyle 9

im goin to go to my LHS and get some spare parts just so when i break i dont have to drive 45 minutes to get some. What are good spare parts to get? i was thinking about getting a set of main blades, tail boom and motor assembly, and a pack of main blade grips. is there anything else that i should get for spare parts? like what about the main gear? do those go easy? thanks.
From my experience which has only been a week and just a few little breakages, I would get the following.

1. Blade grips
2. Blades
3. More batteries

The rest, just replace it as you need to. I haven't heard anything about the main gear wearing out in the other forums.
Watch my beginners vid for tips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bluu0AWGKNQ

Also, watch this to learn how to hardware trim your mSR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60dx2U1gw00
Old 09-27-2009, 08:55 PM
kyle 9

From my experience which has only been a week and just a few little breakages, I would get the following.

1. Blade grips
2. Blades
3. More batteries

The rest, just replace it as you need to. I haven't heard anything about the main gear wearing out in the other forums.

yea i already have three batteries, more would be nice, but i gues thats enough for now, and thakn you.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Freezetron

Oh, apparently alot of other peeps are having issues with their glade grips going and then lose the feathering spindle washers and o-rings, so I would get a spare of those as well.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:19 PM
eeeclaire69

Flew mine for ages like that, they will come apart as soon as you hit anything but are ok until you get a new set!
Ian
Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Mine must be special. I can trim mine to sit in a solid hover for several minutes at a time. ( no air conditionig) And I've smacked it into everything that the typical living room has, dozens of times, with absolutely no damage. And I mean SMACK. The only issue I had was the center swash assembly working its way out. Even then, I could fly it but it was a little squirrelly. Once I got that snugged in, good to go again.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:08 AM
jlvr51

1. Blade grips
2. Blades
3. More batteries

Hello,

Put a dab of loctite on the hold down screw for the main blade grips . . . landing gear/battery holder is a bit flimsy and can crack, but is still useable . . . that little red swash plate repositioning tool helps to bring the swashplate level after a solid smack up against something ... on take off, try a wee bit of right stick push to the right to compensate for the left spin and slide. Watch the tail motor/rotor for carpet, lint, cat hair build up ... pop the rotor off and pull off stuff that could dampen the tail motor operating correctly. That about all the upkeep I do to mine.
Just about a week of flying MSR ... have flown MCX and CX2 ... little birdie zips around the front room and takes a licking.

Have fun!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 PM
bcr1953chevy

Just saw this thread. I asked a question about the Blade MSR main rotor grips but did not get any answers.  I just replaced the blade grips on my MSR. The parts from Horizon Hobby came with the brass washers and O rings. The original blade grips did not have the washers and O rings when I replaced them. I'm not sure if there were never there or if I lost them during one of my "landings".

When I installed the new grips, I put the brass washers and O rings on. The blade grips are REALLY tight.

Does anyone know if there was a design change in the Blade MSR? Should the washers and O rings be installed?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:55 PM
dankirk

Mine doesn't have them either, unless they're recessed into the holes in the rotor head. I've read that some people have brass washers between the blade holders and the rotor head, and I definately do not have those.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Mine had them and either they were too thin, or wear created some slop. I replaced them with thicker washers and now, no slop. But, there were no problems before the change so maybe they found out these are not needed and started to leave them out?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:38 PM
ct420

I bought a new mSR about 1 week ago. It has brass spacers between the grip and the rotor hub. However, it still had a little slop. I added a thin washer to one side which eliminated all of the slop, but still allows the grips to move freely. Seems to make it hover and fly a little bit smoother.